01/23/08 [DMFA #869] - Perky Wingspan

Started by AndersW, January 22, 2008, 09:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmann135

Dee have an impressive and perky wingspan for any woman of any age.  Though one thing really gets me.  She is still looking for Dan's dad which means that either she really loves him or hates him to the point where she wants to be the only one to kill him. 

Also it makes me wonder if Dan is an only Cubi child of the family.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

kaskar

8) Nobody has yet to say the Aye or Nay on the subject of Edward being a Cubi ...  If this is so, Alexsi stands a good chance of , in her learnings, how to shapeshift. If this was so, no wings would ever appear in public, at the bar , and so noone would be wiser. ( Look out Pyroduck ! )
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Goatmon

Quote from: kaskar on January 23, 2008, 02:03:10 AM

8) Nobody has yet to say the Aye or Nay on the subject of Edward being a Cubi ...  If this is so, Alexsi stands a good chance of , in her learnings, how to shapeshift. If this was so, no wings would ever appear in public, at the bar , and so noone would be wiser. ( Look out Pyroduck ! )

There's no indication one way or the other at this point.  It's entirely possible that Edward could be a descendant of Aniz (Which seems to be the popular belief) but that wouldn't make him an incubus by default. 

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Kasarn on January 23, 2008, 12:01:17 AM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on January 22, 2008, 11:22:12 PM
I find some obscure nuance of the first panel to be quite nice about Biggs. I can't find the term for it, except for saying he seems very aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

....that might very well be what I'm seeing. It's something about his whole posture. :s
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

WhiteFox

Biggs expression is really impressive in panel 1. I think that it's because the eyes are much closer to human proportions, so we identify with them better. Same with panel 3 of #868.

As for Dest vs. Fa'Lina...  Dan was very lucky as baby.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Omega

Did someone mentioned that Amber was stalling the family reunion? I could've swore someone mentioned stalling.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Goatmon on January 23, 2008, 02:25:01 AM
There's no indication one way or the other at this point.  It's entirely possible that Edward could be a descendant of Aniz (Which seems to be the popular belief) but that wouldn't make him an incubus by default. 

I've not heard that version of the theory.  One of the more interesting pieces of evidence for that theory is that Edward's arm is always hidden or covered in the exact spot where Aniz' clan mark would be.  That and I'm not entirely sure Dee would (at that point in her life) balk at eating a Being who was of simply 'Cubi descent - someone who has (or had) no qualms about soul-slaying children is likely to view them as just Beings and therefore prey.  Whereas if Edward is an incubus, it provides him an incentive to rescue Dee (his teacher?) and Dee an incentive to not just eat him.

Quote from: Naldru on January 22, 2008, 11:53:25 PM
I would say that Biggs has the hots for Destania,
It took me a while for it to click, but IMHO that's what he was saying a bit more subtly in the last strip.

QuoteWhat I'm curious about is what made Dan think that Biggs knew where Destania was.  The thoughts on the past few pages was that he read Alexsi's thoughts.  However, if that was the case, he would have also known that Destania was working for Biggs.
It may simply have been a bluff, or a reasonable assumption given that Biggs is in charge of it.  After all, he saw Dee in the Twink Territories way back.

Quote from: Madmann135 on January 23, 2008, 01:24:25 AM
Though one thing really gets me.  She is still looking for Dan's dad which means that either she really loves him or hates him to the point where she wants to be the only one to kill him. 
She looks really concerned in #726.  I'd go for love, myself.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Goatmon

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 23, 2008, 04:25:06 AM
Quote from: Goatmon on January 23, 2008, 02:25:01 AM

I've not heard that version of the theory.  One of the more interesting pieces of evidence for that theory is that Edward's arm is always hidden or covered in the exact spot where Aniz' clan mark would be.  That and I'm not entirely sure Dee would (at that point in her life) balk at eating a Being who was of simply 'Cubi descent - someone who has (or had) no qualms about soul-slaying children is likely to view them as just Beings and therefore prey.  Whereas if Edward is an incubus, it provides him an incentive to rescue Dee (his teacher?) and Dee an incentive to not just eat him.

That theory would make sense, if Edward were to have more screen time.  He's been in three pages, and it's not even guaranteed to be in the same place as it is for Aniz.  I admit, there's some coincidence there, but not enough for me to buy the cubi theory. 

I prefer to make my theories based on what we do know, rather than what we don't. 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Goatmon on January 23, 2008, 04:31:48 AM
That theory would make sense, if Edward were to have more screen time.  He's been in three pages, and it's not even guaranteed to be in the same place as it is for Aniz.  I admit, there's some coincidence there, but not enough for me to buy the cubi theory.
Well, maybe we'll get a shot of Edward that disproves it  :3

QuoteI prefer to make my theories based on what we do know, rather than what we don't. 
Yeah, it's mostly circumstantial, but it's difficult to actively disprove and if it is true, it explains quite a lot.  A bit like cosmology, really  >:3

Hellcat

my theory is that Edward might be a relative of May... they both have brown hair and blue eyes...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sunblink

Hum. My own theory is that this is somehow linked to Dark Pegasus's possible resurrection. Judging by Dan's flashback in 388, Dark Pegasus is familiar with Destania in some shape or form. It could be possible that his followers (assuming he has some who dug up his grave), or Dark Pegasus himself, manipulated Destania away from Biggs and into the open by hiding behind new information about Edward.

Though I doubt Destania quit working for Biggs. She was collaborating with him on a project which would bring about the end of the Dragon race, after all, and after investing time and effort into that scheme I can't realistically see her walking off.

Speculation aside, very nice artwork and punchline. For some reason, this came to mind:
"We live in a bloody swamp, we need all the land we can get."
"But I don't like her."
"Don't like her?!  What's wrong with her?  She's beautiful, she's rich, she's got huge... tracts of land."

My god, we can put Monty Python to anything.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Sid

Wow, nobody mentioned the good old Dubbing screw-up of Sailor Moon? The one where Makoto has the most... "talent"? xD

Quote from: Kayriel on January 23, 2008, 01:00:37 AM
Quote from: kaskar on January 23, 2008, 12:46:41 AM

8) Dan has to get control over the way his mind works. It keeps on torturing him at all the wrong times, and in the wrong ways ...

Pip headwings. XD

And Azlan in a leather bikini ;)
:boogie

Aleolus

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 23, 2008, 12:43:55 PM
Hum. My own theory is that this is somehow linked to Dark Pegasus's possible resurrection. Judging by Dan's flashback in 388, Dark Pegasus is familiar with Destania in some shape or form. It could be possible that his followers (assuming he has some who dug up his grave), or Dark Pegasus himself, manipulated Destania away from Biggs and into the open by hiding behind new information about Edward.

Only thing is, I suspect that Destiana would be even more troublesome for DP than Dan ever was, considering she's a full-blooded Cubi, so if she decided to stop him, or kill him, he would stay dead.

Sid

Quote from: Aleolus on January 23, 2008, 01:33:13 PM
Only thing is, I suspect that Destiana would be even more troublesome for DP than Dan ever was, considering she's a full-blooded Cubi, so if she decided to stop him, or kill him, he would stay dead.

Yeah, but what if she didn't decide to kill him...? *hums ominously*

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on January 23, 2008, 02:21:29 PM

Join forces with the guy who almost killed her only son?  That's nuts  :B

Sid

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 23, 2008, 02:23:03 PM

What if he had something to offer that helps her plans...? Keep in mind that Destania didn't exactly give off the "Warrior of Truth and Justice" vibe last time we saw her... Not sure about grudges, but for all that we know, she and Dark Pegasus may have exchanged cards at the Evil Beach Party.

thegayhare

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on January 23, 2008, 12:43:55 PM
Though I doubt Destania quit working for Biggs. She was collaborating with him on a project which would bring about the end of the Dragon race, after all, and after investing time and effort into that scheme I can't realistically see her walking off.

How ever Biggs portion of the scheme may be compleate and Destena has moved on to the next step in the elimination of dragons

terrycloth

Pretty much everyone at Lost Lake is evil. There's the Evil Beach Party... Lost Lake is the 'evil tavern'. 'Here there be Cubi', right? Who's a regular there? The son of the cubi professor of pain and suffering, the sister of the twink leader, the son of Wolfram and Hart, Furrae branch, the exiled queen of the fae who's only *pretending* to be nice, and a carnivorous demon-cow? Oh, and a weird tentacled undead/cthulhu thing.

Everyone who ever watched Slayers knows the dragons are the good guys in the war against Demons. Lost Lake is, like, demon central. 8) Why do you think adventurers only show up there when they're looking for trouble?

Kayriel

Quote from: terrycloth on January 23, 2008, 07:29:09 PM
Pretty much everyone at Lost Lake is evil. There's the Evil Beach Party... Lost Lake is the 'evil tavern'. 'Here there be Cubi', right? Who's a regular there? The son of the cubi professor of pain and suffering, the sister of the twink leader, the son of Wolfram and Hart, Furrae branch, the exiled queen of the fae who's only *pretending* to be nice, and a carnivorous demon-cow? Oh, and a weird tentacled undead/cthulhu thing.

Everyone who ever watched Slayers knows the dragons are the good guys in the war against Demons. Lost Lake is, like, demon central. 8) Why do you think adventurers only show up there when they're looking for trouble?

'Cept Abel and Dan aren't evil insomuch as Abel's just the way he is to hide his scars, and Dan's thick-headed. .... Wildy, who knows. (Though twinks are pretty damn evil, curse them for running my generation out of Furcadia) And the demon cow... yeah, yeah she's pretty friggin' evil, even if she's nice. Still evil.
<3 Abel

Pagan

I wouldn't say anyone at Lost Lake is evil. Evil is defined by actions, not race. Lorenda doesn't eat beings. Dan was a righteous adventurer. Abel is a jerk but not evil by any means. Wildy... er, well, she's mean, but not really all that 'evil.' Mab... is plotting something, but we can't say if it's for better or worse. And when it comes down to the Cubi-Dragon war, if we're choosing sides, I'll go with the Cubis.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Naldru

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 23, 2008, 02:23:03 PM

It wouldn't be the first time that political alliances are made between people who would love to kill each other.

I can just picture her presentation to Dark Pegasus:

You tried to kill my son, which I find extremely unpleasant.  However, as long as you give me a reason not to kill you, I won't store your soul in a jar and apply all the torture techniques I know for the next thousand years.  And since I was the professor specializing in torture and pain, I might just look forward to developing new techniques of even more severe pain and suffering using you as a test subject.

Now, given this, how would you like to join me in my war on the dragons.

Oh, and any more attacks on my son would make me very angry.  You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.  I get very imaginative when I'm angry.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Jakon

Quote from: Pagan on January 23, 2008, 08:14:43 PMwhen it comes down to the Cubi-Dragon war, if we're choosing sides, I'll go with the Cubis.

Even though the only dragon we've met in-comic is Pyroduck?

Pagan

Yep. Without knowledge of the actions of either side, the reasons for the war, or the power either side has. I have chosen. I will not be swayed.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

pyrohamster

Quote from: Jakon on January 23, 2008, 08:58:42 PM
Quote from: Pagan on January 23, 2008, 08:14:43 PMwhen it comes down to the Cubi-Dragon war, if we're choosing sides, I'll go with the Cubis.

He could just squat on them

Kayriel

Quote from: Jakon on January 23, 2008, 08:58:42 PM

Also of note, Pyroduck has also been deemed unique amongst dragons by the Cubi. Apparently he's the only Cubi-sympathizer, or the only one who isn't out to get them? If he's the exception, then the others must be working against the Cubi in some fashion.
<3 Abel

Kenji

We've seen a big red dragon who loans out money.

pyrohamster

I must remind myself to pay back the 40$ I owe him, though ill probably just put it off and continue on with my life.

kaskar

Quote from: Kenji on January 23, 2008, 09:26:20 PM
We've seen a big red dragon who loans out money.

8) Remember, that Dragon was less smart than Dan, and that's an achievement ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

AnizInDisguise

Honestly I'll side with whichever side can't be beaten. Which is the fae.