01/04/08 [DMFA #861] - Disco!

Started by AndersW, January 04, 2008, 12:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caswin

Quote from: Aleolus on January 04, 2008, 11:45:00 AM
Hey!  What's wrong with disco?  It actually has some very good music!
Agreed. (Does "Tragedy" by The Bee Gees count as disco?)
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

AndersW

Woah, the first panel has a picture in it!  Its just all dark.  I just noticed that.

Naldru

I guess Amber wanted to leave an Easter Egg for those who ran the image through color/exposure correction.  At least she didn't put a nasty message in the first frame for those using image processing tools.

I'm wondering if the record of 48 years that was mentioned in the caption could be Rip Van Winkle.  He may not have been a furry, but he did have a really long beard.  (Does that count as fur?)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on January 04, 2008, 06:22:52 PM
I guess Amber wanted to leave an Easter Egg for those who ran the image through color/exposure correction.

It probably depends on your monitor settings and calibration.  On the machine I'm using now, I can see it clearly without any tweaking.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

*Charline whistles innocently as she strolls out of the room Abel's in*  Nothing at all was going on!   O:)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Paul

Excellent visuals here. I love the third frame; Abel's stretching is almost palpable.

Quote from: Naldru on January 04, 2008, 06:22:52 PMI guess Amber wanted to leave an Easter Egg for those who ran the image through color/exposure correction.
Muh? I can see Abel's face in the first frame just fine on this monitor. ... Wait, are you suggesting that anyone is actually running every single DMFA jpg through an image program just to see if there's anything hidden? That's creepy-sad.

Quote from: rabid_fox on January 04, 2008, 02:20:14 AMYou know, "Miss Europa Disco Dancer" by The Manic Street Preachers is the finest disco song of all time.
An unusual definition of disco. I'd say only the song's final bit ("Brain dead m*****f***ers...") could remotely qualify as disco. It's a good song, though.

Best disco song ever = Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive".  :)

thegayhare

I've been having the image of Abel dancing to "Macho Man" all day

Paul

Quote from: thegayhare on January 04, 2008, 07:36:52 PMI've been having the image of Abel dancing to "Macho Man" all day
:ddrabel

Sorry, I just had to.

Naldru

Quote from: Paul on January 04, 2008, 07:28:31 PM
Excellent visuals here. I love the third frame; Abel's stretching is almost palpable.

Quote from: Naldru on January 04, 2008, 06:22:52 PMI guess Amber wanted to leave an Easter Egg for those who ran the image through color/exposure correction.
Muh? I can see Abel's face in the first frame just fine on this monitor. ... Wait, are you suggesting that anyone is actually running every single DMFA jpg through an image program just to see if there's anything hidden? That's creepy-sad.
Probably only the images with areas that appear almost entirely black or almost entirely white.  Don't you remember the people talking about the pictures of the individuals at the Creature Council where a number of people were discussing the best methods for enhancing the image.

However, I was looking at it on a rather old monitor.  When I looked on the laptop, I was able to see Abel in the first frame without using enhancement.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Poofyspikes

Quote from: Naldru on January 04, 2008, 06:22:52 PM
I guess Amber wanted to leave an Easter Egg for those who ran the image through color/exposure correction.
Or, for a simpler explanation: Amber is an artist. As such, she probably has a CRT monitor plugged into her computer. CRTs are preferred for a variety of reasons over LCDs for artists, a couple of the reasons being increased color fidelity and contrast. Note that last one, all of you who can't see squat in the first panel. Here's a fun little exercise - go turn up the contrast on your screen. Ta-da, there's sleeping Abel!

In all likelihood, Amber made that frame such that she barely saw Abel in the first panel - he's in a bloody darkened room, duh. However, that was barely visible on her CRT monitor. View that on a LCD and wham, bam, thank you ma'am, Abel's done gone invisible because of the lower contrast on the LCD.

*goes on a slashing spree with Occam's razor whilst singing* "Swing your razor wide, Sweeney! Hold it to the skies!"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Poofyspikes on January 05, 2008, 02:12:09 AM
Or, for a simpler explanation: Amber is an artist. As such, she probably has a CRT monitor plugged into her computer. CRTs are preferred for a variety of reasons over LCDs for artists, a couple of the reasons being increased color fidelity and contrast.

Actually she's got an LCD now, IIRC.  Whether it's a 6-bit or 8-bit one, we can't really tell.  Either way it hasn't made much difference to her artwork.

Amber Williams

(Actually I went back to CRT because the LCD was too difficult to colour with. ^_^'')

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 05, 2008, 07:30:41 AM
(Actually I went back to CRT because the LCD was too difficult to colour with. ^_^'')

Heh.  It was probably a 6-bit one then.  I still prefer CRTs myself, although Turnsky seems to manage well with his LCD, which IIRC is a high-end ViewSonic.  Of course, I still think there's something kind of cool about having a particle accelerator on your desk.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dannysaysnoo

thegayhare

Quote from: Paul on January 04, 2008, 07:43:39 PM
Quote from: thegayhare on January 04, 2008, 07:36:52 PMI've been having the image of Abel dancing to "Macho Man" all day

Sorry, I just had to.

Evil...

now I'm having trouble getting the image of Merlitz dancing to Disco inferno out of my head

Naldru

Quote from: Paul on January 04, 2008, 07:28:31 PM
Being a shape-changer would give you an advantage in stretching.

Rebekka

Am I the only one wondering about what the spiders have been up to while Abel has been sitting alone in a dark room for a week? I can only imagine beady little eyes quoting Shakespeare in the dark. *shivers* I'm not even sure that Abel's ultra sexiness could convince me to stay the night in that room!

Angel

...This comic doesn't help the fact that I've had "Funkytown" stuck in my head for a while.

But yay. Abel's back.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

thegayhare

Quote from: Rebekka on January 05, 2008, 04:57:22 PM
Am I the only one wondering about what the spiders have been up to while Able has been sitting alone in a dark room for a week? I can only imagine beady little eyes quoting Shakespeare in the dark. *shivers* I'm not even sure that Abel's ultra sexiness could convince me to stay the night in that room!

*as they plot to destroy Abel and take back the room from the cursed spotted destroyer*

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

or maybe this is more appropriate
To sleep, perchance to dream-
ay, there's the rub.
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Jigsaw Forte

For those having color fidelity issues, consult the following article for how to fix:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000965.html

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 04, 2008, 01:31:33 AM
Why missing disco is a wonderful thing.

Goodbye Sister Disco indeed. Even so, I find myself imagining a Fro-headed, polyester suited Abel dancing the DDR.

Thank you for finding that clip for me.  :3

Brunhidden

Quote from: Aleolus on January 04, 2008, 11:45:00 AM
Hey!  What's wrong with disco?  It actually has some very good music!

I would agree with this, however the downside is the hordes of complete schmucks like me who are incapable of dancing who get up and try anyways- disco somehow makes them believe they can do it, they try, and fail at an epic level.  the macarena did too but those individuals were often hospitalized after a stray thumb to the eye and were quickly removed from the dance floor before inflicting themselves on others.

QuoteStifling an urge to dance is bad for your health - it rusts your spirit and your hips
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 06:28:26 AMHere's a thought.  If it's been a week, the shield Abel put on Jyrras is going to have expired, and Jy's mind will be wide open to him...

You don't need a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows, and I don't think you need mind reading to know what Jyrras is thinking.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2008, 10:47:10 AMThey are both mental filters.  I can't speak for how DMFA's magic works, but if they were computer programs, there would be a lot of common code.  In fact if it was a network firewall (which is basically what they're doing!), you'd use exactly the same unit with a slightly different configuration for each task.

Yet a firewall and syncookies are fundamentally different.  Among other things, you don't want to leave syncookies on all the time.  It's bad for network health.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Aleolus

What's wrong with Disco??  Great style of music, I love it!