12/1/07 [Abel #108] - Never Meet Again

Started by Caswin, November 30, 2007, 11:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

Ahh. Nice and dramatic, that one was. I feel an odd sense of closure on Aniz's part, though I have no doubt he'll be coming back. And part of me wonders if we'll ever see May again in this comic - triggering his mom's death would explain Abel's downward spiral. But somehow, I doubt he'd remember it with such flippancy if that were the case.

Okay, I'm losing my seriousness now. Good comic. And good luck to Abel.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Black_angel on December 01, 2007, 05:19:50 PM
... would explain Abel's downward spiral.

... am I the only one who starts hearing Closer in response to that?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Reaver225

Yeah, I'd have thought the threat of May's death would be a generally a short term solution, but we don't really know what else Aniz has planned. It's an evilly great first step in keeping Abel in line, however.

kaskar

Quote from: Zedd on November 30, 2007, 11:45:12 PM
Ah seems like the long road to loneyness begins here

8) And thus Abel's quirks start here ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

GabrielsThoughts

ant they will never meet again...until Amber draws the *pwn* Aniz story arc in DMFA. although I suppose Abel could get lucky and kill Aniz by accident... and there is still the possibility that the whole event was staged for Abel's benefit, you know the whole plot within a plot within a plot.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Naldru

Quote from: Reaver225 on December 01, 2007, 10:31:07 PM
Yeah, I'd have thought the threat of May's death would be a generally a short term solution, but we don't really know what else Aniz has planned. It's an evilly great first step in keeping Abel in line, however.

As I mentioned before
Quote from: Naldru on December 01, 2007, 01:24:04 AM
It has been mentioned that Aniz hasn't considered what will happen if May dies of natural causes.  I'm not sure about that.  The fact that May will die of old age within the next fifty years merely means that Abel knows that he can have revenge without harm to May if he waits a short (for a cubi) time. This means that relatively good behavior can be expected from Abel during his adjustment to life at SAIA.

Suppose that Aniz now adopted a new identity and went back to living with May, providing her with a sympathetic ear while she rants about how she was wronged by the evil Cid/Aniz.  He could even tell Abel about how May met "somebody else" who is making her happy.  I'm curious what the reaction of the forum residents would be about such a situation.

Nw suppose that Abel goes to May's funeral who has died of old age.  Now suppose that Abel goes over to Aniz in second disguise and says "I'm thankful to you for taking such good care of mother.  After dealing with my no-good, despicable, lying, uncaring, miserable father, it's nice to know that there are decent beings around."  To which Aniz in second disguise would reply with something to the effect "Well, there's something you really ought to know".  After which Aniz drops the disguise.  :erk :erk

That would further amplify Abel's dislike of cubi who create new identities with their shape-shifing.  At which point Abel agrees to return to the academy for another hundred years, after which he will return and pound Aniz into the ground like a tent peg.

And Aniz would have kept his word.  May would never have seen Aniz, only his second disguise.

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Aleolus

Quote from: Naldru on December 02, 2007, 09:47:05 AM
Quote from: Reaver225 on December 01, 2007, 10:31:07 PM

As I mentioned before
Quote from: Naldru on December 01, 2007, 01:24:04 AM
It has been mentioned that Aniz hasn't considered what will happen if May dies of natural causes.  I'm not sure about that.  The fact that May will die of old age within the next fifty years merely means that Abel knows that he can have revenge without harm to May if he waits a short (for a cubi) time. This means that relatively good behavior can be expected from Abel during his adjustment to life at SAIA.

Suppose that Aniz now adopted a new identity and went back to living with May, providing her with a sympathetic ear while she rants about how she was wronged by the evil Cid/Aniz.  He could even tell Abel about how May met "somebody else" who is making her happy.  I'm curious what the reaction of the forum residents would be about such a situation.

Nw suppose that Abel goes to May's funeral who has died of old age.  Now suppose that Abel goes over to Aniz in second disguise and says "I'm thankful to you for taking such good care of mother.  After dealing with my no-good, despicable, lying, uncaring, miserable father, it's nice to know that there are decent beings around."  To which Aniz in second disguise would reply with something to the effect "Well, there's something you really ought to know".  After which Aniz drops the disguise.  :erk :erk

That would further amplify Abel's dislike of cubi who create new identities with their shape-shifing.  At which point Abel agrees to return to the academy for another hundred years, after which he will return and pound Aniz into the ground like a tent peg.

And Aniz would have kept his word.  May would never have seen Aniz, only his second disguise.

:erk :erk  Now that would be just cruel!  Amber!  Please tell us that Abel's clan does not have an affinity towards emotional pain, and that isn't Aniz's affinity either!

zopey

GabrielsThoughts

I could see an affinity towards masochism and confusion.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Naldru

Quote from: Aleolus on December 02, 2007, 10:58:59 AM
:erk :erk  Now that would be just cruel!  Amber!  Please tell us that Abel's clan does not have an affinity towards emotional pain, and that isn't Aniz's affinity either!
Who would it be cruel to?  All May would know was that she had a loving friend to help her forget her miserable husband Aniz/Cid.  I don't think that it would necessarily be cruel to Abel, since he would probably be happy to find that Aniz had some interest in May's happiness.  It might be cruel to the readers, but the fourth wall is supposed to keep the characters from knowing about such things.

If you are arguing that such a plot twist would mess with the minds of the readers, I wouldn't mention it too loudly.  I think Amber wants to get a few more miles on her steam roller.

By the way, wasn't there a picture of Amber on a steam-roller.  If so, that would be a nice image to have among the various smileys, along with the hula-dancing plot twist.

Quote from: zopey on December 02, 2007, 03:13:42 PM
it would be cool if able had a sister
Some people have already pointed out that May is probably beyond child-bearing age.  Furthermore, it would be something of a tip-off if another kid with wings arrived.

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

AndersW

Quote from: Naldru on December 02, 2007, 04:01:49 PM
By the way, wasn't there a picture of Amber on a steam-roller.  If so, that would be a nice image to have among the various smileys, along with the hula-dancing plot twist.

I made something similar to that.

Try to guess where it is from.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Easy. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

A classic.

Naldru

I thought I remembered something with Amber on a steamroller.  However, that one may be the one I saw.  My memory sometimes wanders and forgets to come home.

BlueTiger

Quote from: ??? (Hellcat) on December 01, 2007, 12:10:15 AM
the villains don't always lose... there are times when they win, and if not they get a half win. Its a nice change when that happens or you've just got a predictable boring story with no drama or darkness to it. With things like that, the villain becomes more recognizable and can be even liked by readers of those stories, otherwise its just a generic bad guy who will eventually get killed off and not missed. I know if Aniz never came back I'd miss him, he gave a good turn to the story and made it more interesting. Aniz is cool, but thats my opinion

Yeah, anyone around here like Dark Pegasus?

Hellcat

Quote from: BlueTiger on December 02, 2007, 10:39:16 PM
the villains don't always lose... there are times when they win, and if not they get a half win. Its a nice change when that happens or you've just got a predictable boring story with no drama or darkness to it. With things like that, the villain becomes more recognizable and can be even liked by readers of those stories, otherwise its just a generic bad guy who will eventually get killed off and not missed. I know if Aniz never came back I'd miss him, he gave a good turn to the story and made it more interesting. Aniz is cool, but thats my opinion

DP didn't even get a half win 'cause he didn't get to kill anyone  :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: ??? (Hellcat) on December 02, 2007, 11:00:53 PM

He got to kill Dan. He just wasn't very good at it...

Caswin

Quote from: ??? (Hellcat) on December 02, 2007, 11:00:53 PM
Quote from: BlueTiger on December 02, 2007, 10:39:16 PM
...on the other hand, he's really the only DMFA villain (taking "villain" to mean... something I don't think a lot of the comic's fans would agree on, given how many characters fall under it) I can think of who actually did lose in the end.  It's reached the point where a character getting what's coming to them is an exception to the rule.  If you're going to use the "predictable" tag, in that respect, at least, it has gotten predictable.

Also, the villain losing in the end doesn't signify, by any means, that the story isn't dark or dramatic.  I think that would throw the majority of stories that are generally counted as "dramatic" out the window.

And as long as I'm hitting every point...
Quote from: ??? (Hellcat) on December 01, 2007, 12:10:15 AMWith things like that, the villain becomes more recognizable and can be even liked by readers of those stories, otherwise its just a generic bad guy who will eventually get killed off and not missed.
Actually, I could name quite a few villains who lost in the end and were a good deal less generic - and MUCH more likable - than Aniz (although, in these last couple strips, he seems to have finally shown a little depth).  Most of them, unless I miss my guess, did not get killed off, either.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

zopey

the one thing i don't get was how Aniz was able to keep up the deception so long what with the cubi's attention spans. but i suppose when your life span goes into triple digits, 25 years must be like a week for him

Paul

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 01, 2007, 06:04:41 PM
Quote from: Black_angel on December 01, 2007, 05:19:50 PM
... would explain Abel's downward spiral.
Well, upon reading your post, I do. Frankly, it's rather disturbing.  :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Paul on December 03, 2007, 03:12:10 PM

Really? I'd never have guessed.

;-]

zopey

its a bit random but when i heard jyrass mum talking i imagine her talking in the vioce of lunar of bear in the big blue house

Paul

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 03, 2007, 04:00:46 PM
Quote from: Paul on December 03, 2007, 03:12:10 PM
Really? I'd never have guessed.

;-]

I have this horrible mental image of Aniz singing the song's refrain to Abel. Ew.

Ted Schiller

I'm tempted to start a thread labelled "Not the first post of Abel #109."   >:3

However, since Fa'Lina will be busy with paperwork, who will be first on the scene?  Will Dr. Ink "just happen to wander by" before Fa'Lina's official representative can arrive?

Mrs. Williams might consider the next two strips showing Abel just waiting, sitting in the corner hugging his knees.  This week he looks in one direction, the next looking in the other direction.  The tension rising.  The audience nervously waiting with Abel for the next horror.  Two weeks nervously waiting for the next horror.  But that would be evil, and Mrs. Williams wouldn't do that.

With regards,
Ted