11/28/07 [DMFA #846] - With Curses Like These...

Started by Cogidubnus, November 28, 2007, 02:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: Omega on November 28, 2007, 11:14:19 AM
Quote from: Caswin on November 28, 2007, 10:50:46 AM
...hey!  Old adventuring robe!
So I was not the only one who noticed.

I think everyone did, it's just that not many felt the need to point it out. Perhaps.

Quote from: 96Zack96 on November 28, 2007, 06:09:49 PM
I'm going to guess this would be like one of those with great power comes great responsibility things for a not easily tempted person...but dan, yea not abusing free abilities a'int gonna happen, especially when it comes to his adventuring.

Well that's not exactly fair. Daniel never uses magic, which in some cases could be a clear advantage.
Although, the fact he isn't dependant on magic as such, he doesn't run into those problems (when one depends on one skill too much).

Quote from: Kenji on November 28, 2007, 11:28:16 PM
Quote from: Eibbor_N on November 28, 2007, 11:22:57 PM
Heh heh heh.

I have to say that Dan's face in the first panel is cute beyond belief.

So I wonder what the curse did to Dan, then.
"You will be doomed to a lifetime of urgers to wear ladies' footwear!"

But little did the Fae know, Dan already had a fine collection.

(on second thought, what's an urger anyway? I've never seen a single person trying to convince Daniel to wear heels. Except for maybe... Abel. But that doesn't count.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: modelincard on November 28, 2007, 08:23:30 PM
Such a stunning hair of many colours
How he loved his hair of many colours
It was red and yellow and green and
Brown and blue

(I was in that play in 7th grade. :3)

I was in the chorus line, so yes, I wondered too.
People said at the time that I should have taken the lead, but even then I thought they were idiots for suggesting I should have it out of namesake rather than actual acting ability.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kuari

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 29, 2007, 03:39:39 AM
Well that's not exactly fair. Daniel never uses magic, which in some cases could be a clear advantage.
Although, the fact he isn't dependant on magic as such, he doesn't run into those problems (when one depends on one skill too much).

It's not like he knows HOW to make use of his magical abilities much though.

Sienna Maiu - M T

But, he could.

He made a choice not to, for it can backfire.

Kuari

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 29, 2007, 04:34:24 AM
But, he could.

He made a choice not to, for it can backfire.

True enough....  magic users tend to overuse their magic...  usually because they have to.  That's actually a reason I designed one of my RP characters with a sword that has the ability to slice through magic, though made him a little lacking in melee range.

Sienna Maiu - M T

However, wouldn't a sword with a power to slice through magic need to be magic itself?
If this is the case, it would have to be the strongest magic item in the history of ever.
If there was ever a magical disruption, it would be effected.
Unless it itself is a disruptor.

If so/in anycase, explain.

Kuari

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 29, 2007, 05:36:10 AM
However, wouldn't a sword with a power to slice through magic need to be magic itself?
If this is the case, it would have to be the strongest magic item in the history of ever.

If so/in anycase, explain.

Well, in the storyline I had the sword originate in, it's basically the power of a god of light and a god of darkness fused into one.  Essentially its a sword of balance.  It basically IS the strongest magical artifact in the world that it exists in.  Its other power is that any magic channeled through it is imbued with a fusion of light and dark magic.  The flaw is that overuse of the sword slowly connects a person's soul to the blade itself.  If the connection grows too strong, it greatly increases the abilities of the user, at the cost of devouring a portion of a person's soul.

It's basically the ultimate double edged sword, and quite frankly, it's the best thing the character has going for him.  His melee and magic are subpar...  His second best feature is a giant boomerang made of the bone of a golden dragon.  That weapon combined with tiny bits of wind magic tends to be his specialty, the sword being a last resort or when he needs to go up against a very powerful magic user such as a lich.

Another flaw is if the two gods decided to split the sword...  which doing so would basically cause Armaggedon.  It also chooses its own master rather then letting it switch hands in other ways, leaning towards someone who follows a philosophy of balance, is tough, but just weak enough where if they started abusing the power of the weapon somehow, there'd be someone that could beat them.

But yeah, he kind of relies on the sword when going up against big opponents...  which is a bad thing, admittingly, but come on, when going up against something like a lich, no matter what you do, it isn't going to be easy.

Heh, though he's one of my favorites, I find his sister, Saria (the catgirl in my avatar) to be more interesting...  basically she's a Paladin with enough strength to make a troll cry like a little girl.

Even more interesting is Nilly...  a squirrel girl....  who has a bag that can summon an endless number of fireworks :D

Sienna Maiu - M T

What's interesting (to me) is that I kept eyeing your avatar as I was reading your explaination.
I kept going "No, not only is he talking about a boy, and that is clearly a girl, but she looks too bad@$$."

Kuari

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 29, 2007, 06:20:00 AM
What's interesting (to me) is that I kept eyeing your avatar as I was reading your explaination.
I kept going "No, not only is he talking about a boy, and that is clearly a girl, but she looks too bad@$$."
lol, yeah, she's a bit more interesting...  she's basically just your basic Paladin, except less jackassed, and focuses on her physical strength, and uses holy magic to boost it even more...  She also has some good defensive magics, but is lacking in the healing and offensive magic departments.  She's also a little lacking in endurance, though usually she doesn't really need to last very long as she can dish out enough damage to take most things down before it matters.

AndersW

The only problem with this comic is that we don't get to see Dan with bangles.  Dan in his old robe with bangles would have been just perfect.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... did you want him to pole dance or something?

Knowing Dan, he'd be all up for that. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

e_voyager

i thought Dan liked roof dancing myself.

Also the sword you described sounds a lot like Stormbringer which devoured the souls of  those it slew. Using those souls power and took control of it's wielder slowly.  Stormbringer in the story 'go ask Elric' merges with it's counter part Cloudhurler and became a sword of balance as well. As both the swords and their wielders merged combines law and chaos to become a being of balance so to did that combined entity fight to stop entropy for devouring the world they were in but that is neither here nor there and what was i talking about again?

Fae curse? of yeah they rock especially when the Fae in question is to fickle to figure out what they want to do to you before you die of old age. as for what Dan did he was probably hitting on the Fae or the Fae's girlfriend or something like that.

( also i did Google spell check before i posted. some of them were wrong word errors and Elirc's name is spelled correctly)
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: e_voyager on November 29, 2007, 11:19:45 AM
what was i talking about again?

I'm not sure how we're supposed to be able to tell. There's no sentence structure, and half the words are spelled wrongly.

Perhaps you'd like to go back and re-write the paragraph?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kenji

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 29, 2007, 03:39:39 AM
Quote from: Kenji on November 28, 2007, 11:28:16 PM
"You will be doomed to a lifetime of urgers to wear ladies' footwear!"

But little did the Fae know, Dan already had a fine collection.

(on second thought, what's an urger anyway? I've never seen a single person trying to convince Daniel to wear heels. Except for maybe... Abel. But that doesn't count.)

An urge so powerful its misspelled.

Kuari

Quote from: e_voyager on November 29, 2007, 11:19:45 AM

Also the sword you described sounds a lot like Stormbringer which devoured the souls of  those it slew. Using those souls power and took control of it's wielder slowly.  Stormbringer in the story 'go ask Elric' merges with it's counter part Cloudhurler and became a sword of balance as well. As both the swords and their wielders merged combines law and chaos to become a being of balance so to did that combined entity fight to stop entropy for devouring the world they were in but that is neither here nor there and what was i talking about again?

Which goes to the old theory that if someone has an idea, someone else will too.  I thought of something like Kingdom Hearts way before it came out (except with anime).  Apparently someone had a similar idea.

Sienna Maiu - M T

If that were true, I wouldn't have to write my own fanfiction.

But then again, thoughts like mine may only come from like-minded lazy people such as myself.

AnizInDisguise

*Reads the current page*

A bit off-topic aren't we?

terrycloth

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 29, 2007, 05:36:10 AM

Why would it have to be powerful? Dispel magic is like a 3rd level spell...

Heheh, or it might just be inherently antimagic. Usually systems with magic have stuff that magic doesn't work on. Sometimes it's something you can make a sword out of (some special metal, like cold iron or whatnot). Sometimes it's not (the still-beating heart of a Grr'lock).

Kuari

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on November 29, 2007, 07:14:13 PM
*Reads the current page*

A bit off-topic aren't we?

Agreed...  if a topic ever pops up asking people to talk about their RP chars, I'll say more...

Rika Banpaia

wow  :mowdizzy

e_voyager

i agree. maybe  later in another section of the forum but for now if i remember correctly we were asking about what the effects of Dan's curse could be. now we know it's a feather loss cures tied to shell fish i believe the comic if. i guess he could search for a cure but knowing Dan he probably believes that he deserves it. i still wonder what he did to upset that Fae though
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey