A question of France

Started by Sienna Maiu - M T, November 18, 2007, 08:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sienna Maiu - M T

Okay, I'm not asking anybody to do my homework for me <.< >.>
but I'm doing a project on France, and doing research on the local food in somewhat difficult. This is due mostly in part to the tourism of the area and such, but I was wondering if there were any Europeans or anybody who knows about France's culture who could answer this for me.

Please and Thank-you  :3

Yes, Sienna Maiu made one of those threads.

Azriel

Well about their culinary things you could talk about Le Cordon Bleu.  Its one of the top culinary schools in the worlds.  The French also take alot of pride in their sauces.

Tezkat

Hmm... kind of a tough question to answer without more details on what you're looking for. There are a lot of regional variations in cuisine. Eastern France has very Germanic tastes, the south of France is more Mediterranean, etc. For instance, I lived in Strasbourg for a year. The local cuisine there is typically Alsatian (a lot of German influences). They served choucroute (saueurkraut) with everything. Probably the best known local dish is something called tarte flambée (um... it's sorta like a cross between quiche and pizza).

More generally...

The French like to dine. Their entire economy comes to a grinding halt for two hours at lunchtime. :3 Two things that you're likely to find at every meal: a bottle of wine and a baguette (French bread--American-style sliced bread is virtually nonexistant). Traditional French cuisine tends to be pretty rich--lots of interesting sauces full of wine and/or cream.

The French prefer their beef rare. It's common to order steaks bleu (literally "blue"--super extra rare), and raw meat dishes like steak tartare are popular, if pricey. Cheaper cuts of meat find their way into stews (like bourguignon or pot au feu).

Let's see... what else...

Funny anecdote that I remember from a summer in France when I was five: The French do not understand what peanut butter is. When I try to explain peanut butter, they usually think I'm talking about margarine or something. It's just not on their radar, and it's nearly impossible to find in stores. To a five-year-old peanut-butter addict, that was quite traumatic (although I did eventually develop a taste for Nutella, which is what occupies the niche that peanut butter fills in the US). :animesweat

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Sienna Maiu - M T

I thank you muchly for this, it's given me an angle on how to start my paragaph.

Also, Nutella's some gooo~d eatin's.

[Edited because I can't spell]

Sienna Maiu - M T

Gasp!  :U Siennu is doing it again. nu, Sienna! nuuu!!!

So, aside from the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triumph, just what would one do in France.

Or just, what is something you yourself would want to do should you ever go there?

Sienna Maiu - M T

Hey, I've decided to be cool like GT  8)

Here's my totally lame awesome three paragraphs. Lol, plaigerism. I wrote them on an all-nighter, hey fancy that *collapses*

The area was originally inhabited by Celtic Gauls, it was conquered by Julius Caesar for Rome 1st Cent. BC. During this time the Gauls picked up Roman language and culture, Latin eventually become French, and Christian Religion grew in strength in 2nd and 3rd Cent. AD. In the 4th Cent. AD the Eastern frontier was overrun by Germanic tribes, primarily the Franks.  The area known as "Charlemagne's Carolignian empire" was broken into East Francia (meaning 'country of the Franks'), Middle Francia, and Western Francia by the Treaty of Verdan (843). Western Francia is the ancestor to Modern France. The Carolingians ruled France until in 987 Hugh Capet (Duke of France and Count of Paris) was crowned king. His descendants unified the country through successive wars and 'dynastic inheritance'. The monarchy had reached it's height during the 17th Cent and ended in 1789 with the French Revolution, when King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, as well as thousands of other French citizens were executed. Napoleon took control of the Republic in 1799, making himself 'First Consul' and later Emperor, this is what is now known as the First French Empire (1804-1814). With Napoleon's defeat in 1815, the French Monarchy was set back into place. The constitution 'July Monarchy' lasted for eighteen year from 1830, after a civil uprising. The second republic ended in 1852 when the Second French Empire was proclaimed by Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte, which lasted until he was unseated in 1870. The Third Republic then came into place. The Second World War brought more changes in the government, leading up until the present, where the Fifth Republic now reigns, since 1958.

The culinary experience in France varies from region to region. For example Eastern France is Germanic oriented, while the southern provinces are more Mediterranean. In France lunch is held at either noon or one o'clock, at which point many shops will close, causing an economic stand-still for two hours everyday. Popular French eating experiences are a bottle of wine, cheese and a baguette, while all traditional foods tend to be rich, with wine or cream sauces. The norm in French food is to have quality over quantity, ranging in everything from stews to steaks. Steaks are very popular to be eaten rare in France. Beyond just local specialties, each region also has their own styles of cooking and choice of ingredients. For example, the French Mediterranean uses olive oil, herbs and tomatoes commonly, the northwest uses butter, sour cream and apples, while the northeast has a strong Germanic influence (as mentioned) including beer and sauerkraut. The south uses more fruits and vegetables, the Atlantic coast uses sea food and inland river-side areas use fresh water fish. Wine as well as being used in cooking can also be a course all on it's own, being easily (an inexpensively) available, wine is very common to have with every meal, when served as a course, it is after the meal, but before dessert, often with a platter of various cheeses from which guests may choose. Due to the two hour break for lunch, shops reopening at 2pm will stay open until 7pm, the typical time to have supper is at 8pm.

When one thinks of France, a few landmarks may come to mind, one in particular was a temporary structure meant for an exhibition. This was in 1889, still there to this day, no trip to Paris is complete without visiting the Eiffel Tower. Visitors should try to experience some of all the different regions, including wine tasting, ski resorts, and the beautiful beaches and landscapes. Some experiences that a person visiting should have are going to a sidewalk café, viewing the Palace of Versailles, Notre Dame Cathedral and the Louvre. There are many Chateaus, museums and cathedrals to explore as well as monuments to see, such as Arc de Triomph. To those searching for a more spiritual journey, France has great religious heritage and pilgrimages, due to their long history with Christianity, even being dubbed "Eldest daughter of the Church". There are also historical routes and archeological sites to be explored as well as golfing and flower gardens for the less adventurous. In France there is truly something for everybody.

llearch n'n'daCorna

the Eiffel Tower is well viewed from MontMartre, where Notre Dame is. Particularly on New Years Eve, when it's all lit up.

There's also a cathedral in the middle of town, on the Sienne, but I forget the name of that one...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sienna Maiu - M T

oh well *shrugs* It's already finished, printed out and taped onto the poster.

Alondro

In France, you can drink alot of wine and sneak onto the nude beaches.

At least... that's what my father and uncle did when they were military brats...   :animesweat
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

TheGreyRonin

If I were in France?

I'd scream "INVASION!", watch everybody run....then do whatever I wanted. *grins*

Sienna Maiu - M T

One thing I noticed about my paragraphs...?
They could steadily shorter as time went by.