Beings don't just get the short end of the stick, they seem to get no stick.

Started by Gildedtongue, September 21, 2007, 02:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naldru

Quote from: DarkAudit on October 03, 2007, 03:29:02 PM
Quote from: Raist on October 03, 2007, 12:29:42 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2007, 05:00:57 AM
Quote from: Goatmon on October 03, 2007, 04:55:58 AM
I dunno, It's hard to consider yourself short lived, when your own life span is the one you're most familiar with.  Unless you have a Cubi/fae/whatever friend or acquaintance, it's hard to realize just how short a human/being life really is. 
Wait 'till you're 30  >:3

Tell me about it.  I've still got 8 years 'till then, and I'm already feeling the weight of my impending death!

Could be worse. Could be 8 years after then, like... like...

Excuse me... *runs off sobbing*
It could be 28 years after.  Just remember, the only aternative to being old is being dead.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 03, 2007, 10:29:33 AM
The problem with that, Robbie, is that the -easiest- way of solving it is to step to one side just after you fire.

After all, don't forget - if you can see me, I can see you.
Thats why I was thinking of using magic, instead of chemicals, so hopefully the target wouldn't be alerted to it having been launched.

Either that, or have someone distract the target from the side.  Or simply shoot a large spread of little chunks, enough to pepper anything around. So your target steps aside - he/she still gets peppered with a few hundred sharp objects at a high speed.

Only disadvantage to that would be it would destroy whatever was within a few feet(or more), but if the target was sufficiently evil, the large amount of destroyed land wouldn't matter too much.

Of course, the simplest way to do it is to trick your target into letting you get close to him/her, and then simply stab him/her with a small knife that has two sets of spells upon it: One to get through shielding, and the other to grab the soul(like the bullet Tapewolf thought up).

Quote from: Naldru on October 03, 2007, 09:02:44 PM
Quote from: DarkAudit on October 03, 2007, 03:29:02 PM
Quote from: Raist on October 03, 2007, 12:29:42 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on October 03, 2007, 05:00:57 AM
Quote from: Goatmon on October 03, 2007, 04:55:58 AM
I dunno, It's hard to consider yourself short lived, when your own life span is the one you're most familiar with.  Unless you have a Cubi/fae/whatever friend or acquaintance, it's hard to realize just how short a human/being life really is. 
Wait 'till you're 30  >:3

Tell me about it.  I've still got 8 years 'till then, and I'm already feeling the weight of my impending death!

Could be worse. Could be 8 years after then, like... like...

Excuse me... *runs off sobbing*
It could be 28 years after.  Just remember, the only alternative to being old is being dead.
Aw, don't be sad, you get wisdom with age, and the ability to call us young people whippersnappers.

And, hopefully by the time you reach 80 or so, they will have developed robotics to the point where either you can get your body rejuvenated and live a few hundred more years, or get your brain transfered into a robotic body and take over the universe! >:3

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Kuari

You know, I suddenly wonder who Fae would react to Anti-Magic...  if such a thing existed in the DMFA universe.

Seems to exist to some extent in Were's, but I wonder about anti-magic fields...

Amber Williams

Quote from: Kuari on October 24, 2007, 05:13:10 PM
You know, I suddenly wonder who Fae would react to Anti-Magic...  if such a thing existed in the DMFA universe.

Seems to exist to some extent in Were's, but I wonder about anti-magic fields...

Amusement probably.  The Fae have a particular brand of magic that, while seems very similar to the magic that exists in DMFA's universe, is actually a whole different barrel of monkeys.

Not that anyone would know, since odds are the Fae would make a jolly good show about "oh noes! We has been defeated!" if someone tried it.  The idea of someone going through their entire life and passing on stories of how they defeated the wicked Fae is something most Fae find delightfully entertaining.

Alondro

*Charline smirks*  See?  At least with us Cubi, when we're defeated, we're actually defeated!  We're much more honest than those evil Fae!

Cubi are better than Fae!   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Amber Williams

Kuari

Sheesh, what, did the Fae create the different universes?  Or would they at least be able to be smited by a god?

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Kibin

Hasn't Jyrras been experimenting with magic-technology fusions like the patch technology? You might could adapt something like that to give a being magical powers on par with some creatures...

Stygian

Oh, just give it up, people. The Fae are the ultimate munchkins, undefeatable and completely impossible to get to. It's been clarified. Now can we stop spam spam spam spam spammelispamming?

Amber Williams

Well aren't we Mr. Grumpy. :U

Really it depends on one's definition of unbeatable. If people are wanting utter devastation, destruction beyond repair, total and absolute triumph...then yeah. They are munchkins who can't be beat.  Unless you count the things more powerful than Fae, but they're usually too busy to bother. :U

However, the key thing to note is Fae will always do their best to uphold their roles.  So if there is a belief a Fae can be "beaten" by shoving them full of cold iron, they will play along with it and will 'leave' after being 'defeated'.  Not because they have to mind you, but because its' part of the game.  So someone can 'beat' a Fae, resulting in them leaving said person and their families alone for all of time.  As far as that person is concerned, they won. And for all intents and purposes they did...if only because they are blissfully unaware of the reality of it.

The difference is a matter of perspective.

Kuari

So what happens if that fae accidently runs into that person that "defeated" them again?  I mean, it seems obvious from Mab that they aren't able to exactly unable to be surprised...  unless that's an act too.

Naldru

But then what about a Fae who cheats by violating his role?  Could what Albanion be doing be considered cheating?  Perhaps the worst the Fae could do to Albanion would not be physical damage, but psychological damage.  Suppose they all agreed to sing in unison "Albanion is a dirty cheater" whenever he was in their presence.  Would it be like some religious groups where the punishment for violations can include shunning.  (In shunning, the members of the group agree not to talk with the individual.)

After all, wouldn't it be like the kids playing cowboys, where one always has an argument why the bullets didn't hit him.  (I had a magic medical pouch and it repelled the bullet.  At the moment you fired, I jumped twenty  feet in the air and the bullet missed.  You're such a lousy shot you missed. etc.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 24, 2007, 09:53:37 PM
Really it depends on one's definition of unbeatable. If people are wanting utter devastation, destruction beyond repair, total and absolute triumph...then yeah. They are munchkins who can't be beat.  Unless you count the things more powerful than Fae, but they're usually too busy to bother. :U

Pfft. Come on Amber, we all know you and Fluffy aren't that busy all the time!

Alondro

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Kuari

There is only one hope...  find a way to drive them all to absolute insanity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kuari on October 25, 2007, 04:27:02 AM

Uh.. they're not there already?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 25, 2007, 06:08:45 AM
Yeah...Point taken boxy..
Listen you cant make crazy whats already crazy

Alondro

*Charles knows how to do just that!*  Force them to watch Family Channel original movies.   :P

DarkAudit

Quote from: Alondro on October 25, 2007, 12:39:49 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 24, 2007, 07:20:22 PM
Quote from: Alondro on October 24, 2007, 07:17:19 PM
Cubi are deader than Fae!   :P

Fixed. :U

*Charline grrs!*  I will conquere the Fae!  No matter how many worlds I have to devour!   >:O

It's a big Universe out there, neighbor. Chances of you finding a world that's actually inhabited is pretty darned slim.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Netrogo

Quote from: Alondro on October 25, 2007, 08:24:37 AM

*Charles knows how to do just that!*  Force them to watch Family Channel original movies.   :P

Hey! I'm in one of those >:O
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 24, 2007, 09:53:37 PM
Well aren't we Mr. Grumpy. :U

However, the key thing to note is Fae will always do their best to uphold their roles.  So if there is a belief a Fae can be "beaten" by shoving them full of cold iron, they will play along with it and will 'leave' after being 'defeated'.  Not because they have to mind you, but because its' part of the game.  So someone can 'beat' a Fae, resulting in them leaving said person and their families alone for all of time.  As far as that person is concerned, they won. And for all intents and purposes they did...if only because they are blissfully unaware of the reality of it.

The difference is a matter of perspective.

well, of course somebody can beat a fae, like a pinata, just don't expect to survive their reprisal  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Omega

Quote from: Cvstos on September 21, 2007, 06:34:28 PM
  Nano-viruses might even be more lethal.
Excuse me for questioning your knowledge, but do you even know what a nano virus is?!?
You, crazy you.
(A working nano-machine itself is almost uncomprehendably complex idea)

But how does one "defeat" a race that's indestructable, superior in magic, known from plotting and scheming and feared for their way to play with other life-forms.
Well, you might want to try to imprison a fae. Turn it to stone? deep frost? toss them into the emptiness of no return? There's gotta be some way!!
Oooh oohh! How about corrupt the whole race!! "How?" I dunno. Money, women, power. whatever works.  Some kinda magic-fungi might do the trick. Even if the body is unbreakable, the mind is always fragile.

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Alondro on October 25, 2007, 12:39:49 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 24, 2007, 07:20:22 PM
Quote from: Alondro on October 24, 2007, 07:17:19 PM
Cubi are deader than Fae!   :P

Fixed. :U

*Charline grrs!*  I will conquere the Fae!  No matter how many worlds I have to devour!   >:O

As long as you don't go after quadrant 769 alpha-meta-tangent. They're MINE!

Magic

Simply too much effort on trying to outright eliminate/obliterate/incarcerate/etc. the fae. And that's assuming they'd humor your sad attempts at it. The question is why have them as enemies in the first place? I don't get this whole 'we-must-defeat-every-creature' topic that comes up every now and then. I say, offer a little tea, biscuits and a good conversation. You get a friend who doubles as a limitless source of raw magical power.

Also, the fae never seem to fail at buying you that perfect gift for your birthday.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

AnizInDisguise

Oh, I understand you completely Ink. It would be stupid to make the fae your enemies. But that doesn't mean evil people like Charline and I won't try to find some weakness that they might have while behind their backs.  >:3

Omega

Quote from: Ink on October 25, 2007, 09:04:14 PM
Simply too much effort on trying to outright eliminate/obliterate/incarcerate/etc. the fae. And that's assuming they'd humor your sad attempts at it. The question is why have them as enemies in the first place?
I think people have taken it as a challenge.

"So you're saying that no one can drink this gallon of diet soda with in 45 seconds? Well see about that *grin*"

Gildedtongue

I'll say it again.  Fae are all male copulatory organs.

(and if I keep saying it, we'll probably see Mab drawn as a purple phallus with wings shouting "Wheee" more than likely, just to annoy me.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Gildedtongue on October 26, 2007, 07:48:34 AM
I'll say it again.  Fae are all male copulatory organs.

(and if I keep saying it, we'll probably see Mab drawn as a purple phallus with wings shouting "Wheee" more than likely, just to annoy me.)

... Didn't Ben already draw that?