2007-9-2 [814] - Jokes are never as funny the second time around

Started by stiletto, September 02, 2007, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Stygian on September 03, 2007, 05:34:53 AM
Hey, anybody else hear that faint sound from somewhere off? You know, the one that sounds like a smug voice whispering 'I told you so' from just out of sight?

Talking of which, I notice Techmaster didn't include this quote :P

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 22, 2007, 07:32:52 AM
Yes, [Dan would] know that their time at SAIA overlapped, and he knows that she was a teacher.  I do not think he knows what subject she taught.
Indeed, since his mother's actions at the Academy and immediately afterwards (preparing to eat Ed's soul, for example) basically represent everything he hates about 'Cubi, discovering that she ran the pain and terror department would have driven him into some kind of anti-'Cubi hysterical fit.

Abel has already told him that 'Cubi a generally given different modules depending on the kind of emotions they're most keyed to, and since Abel isn't showing any signs of being a pain and terror freak, there isn't much reason to assume she'd taught him.

Looks like the fit has begun.  Poor Dan :(

Quote from: WhiteFire on September 03, 2007, 05:40:54 AM
She is planning to commit genocide. No mention of getting the ones that wronged here, but discussing "the end of the dragon race". And I think Pyroduck is a sufficient example to prove that the race in question is not inherently evil... just as the cubi race is not.

We don't know that it's genocide.  It is believed that the Dragons have their own 'Fae Kingdom', and it has been speculated that Dee is intending to sever the link connecting it to Furrae.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

computer nerd

maybe Dan is going to want to go SAIA Just not for the reason his mother hope for  >:3

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 03, 2007, 05:49:46 AM
We don't know that it's genocide.  It is believed that the Dragons have their own 'Fae Kingdom', and it has been speculated that Dee is intending to sever the link connecting it to Furrae.

blowing up the bridge, eh?.. sounds interesting, and perhaps a little more logical.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Kaerou

Poor Dan.. he just didnt believe Abel.

Wonder what he would think if he found out his mother is still like that and is planning Genocide.

by Silverfoxr! Thank you!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kaerou on September 03, 2007, 06:58:33 AM
Poor Dan.. he just didnt believe Abel.

Wonder what he would think if he found out his mother is still like that and is planning Genocide.

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_529.php

Or suicidal.

superluser

Quote from: WhiteFire on September 03, 2007, 05:40:54 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on September 03, 2007, 04:11:23 AMDee prolly got the chance to be all 'motherly' might've changed her perspective on things to a degree.
She is planning to commit genocide.

Dusan Tadic was described as a family man.  He also killed two people and tortured and raped dozens of others in the former Yugoslavia.

(I'm omitting the canonical example of the Banality of Evil, to avoid Godwinning this thread)

Quote from: WhiteFire on September 03, 2007, 05:40:54 AMKria Soulstealer may be a good comparison here... sure, she loves her family. She also eats the random pizza delivery boy and tour guide.

This is a good comparison.  While Kria gets angry and kills random people, Destania seems far less capricious.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

multani82

all I have to say is this. If she really is evil, evil never looked SO good.  >:3

Caswin

Quote from: multani82 on September 03, 2007, 08:09:47 AM
all I have to say is this. If she really is evil, evil never looked SO good.  >:3
Well, there's Repteal...

Okay, that's a second, in-comic opinion on Destania being evil, not to mention Fa'Lina as a second-hand third.  My respect for Fa'Lina just increased a little.

And unless we want to doubt Fi's story for some reason, I think it's notable that Fa'Lina, the same succubus who gave Aaryanna her job in the Pain and Terror division, apparently thought Destania was too cruel.  Am I the only one who thinks that's saying something?  (Or shall we keep playing the "her morals, her prerogative" card?)
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Caswin on September 03, 2007, 08:30:18 AM
I think it's notable that Fa'Lina, the same succubus who gave Aaryanna her job in the Pain and Terror division, apparently thought Destania was too cruel.
Yes.  That is interesting.  Fa'Lina may get the giggles at the thought of decapitating Beings, but she does have some standards.

It's also worth pointing out that since Fi has been with Fa'Lina for some time she has probably picked up some of her former mistress' attitudes.

Aridas

This whole thing sounds like some sort of Jerry episode, with adventurer-sons having evil demented parents. We've already got two candidates.

Madmann135

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on September 03, 2007, 08:55:38 AM
This whole thing sounds like some sort of Jerry episode, with adventurer-sons having evil demented parents. We've already got two candidates.

I don't see P-Ducky as an adventurer.  He's more along the lines of a messenger (or covert operations specalist) who's skilled in combat.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 03, 2007, 09:02:01 AM
I don't see P-Ducky as an adventurer.  He's more along the lines of a messenger (or covert operations specalist) who's skilled in combat.

He probably meant Abel and Dan.

Madmann135

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 03, 2007, 09:10:44 AM

Technically Able is not an adventurer's son.
Aniz is his old man (as much as Able would probably want to deny) and Aniz was more along the lines of the 'Adventurer Slaying' department.

Unless May took up the sword and killed an evil entity then Able is not an adventurer's son.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 03, 2007, 09:18:49 AM
Aniz is his old man (as much as Able would probably want to deny) and Aniz was more along the lines of the 'Adventurer Slaying' department.

On the other hand, Aniz was known to the town as an adventurer, and he (allegedly) saved it on occasion as part of his role of being Cid.

Stig Hemmer

I'm starting to wonder if one of the points of Abels story is that cubi are able and willing to play "good" for a mortal lifetime if that fits their plans.  Makes you wonder if Destania has done that too...
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Goatmon

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 03, 2007, 05:49:46 AMLooks like the fit has begun.  Poor Dan :(

Indeed.  Rough times, learning that one of your parents is an evil monster.   :<

Turnsky

Quote from: Stig Hemmer on September 03, 2007, 09:44:18 AM
I'm starting to wonder if one of the points of Abels story is that cubi are able and willing to play "good" for a mortal lifetime if that fits their plans.  Makes you wonder if Destania has done that too...
Pain and Terror were Dee's specialties, and Emotional likes, As per her clan's traits, I'm not sure about Abel's however.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Turnsky on September 03, 2007, 06:43:49 AM

blowing up the bridge, eh?.. sounds interesting, and perhaps a little more logical.

....cannot... resist....

Yesterday I saw the Body of the Bridgekeeper engulfed in flame, and I saw the Bridge created by one-third.

Tomorrow I saw the Soul of the Bridgekeeper reduced to ash, and I saw the Bridge created by two-thirds.

Today, the Mind of the Bridgekeeper shall meet with its destiny, and I shall see the Bridge extend between the realms.

And the many children of the King shall leap and dance and sing praise in His name, for great is His wisdom and His benevolence.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Goatmon on September 03, 2007, 09:52:40 AM
Rough times, learning that one of your parents is an evil monster.   :<

Curiously this comes as I'm mixing down the final version of 'What Did Daniel Think He Was?' which is about Dan's despair when he discovers he's a monster.  What's the betting he goes off on some kind of fugue about whether he's going to become evil again?

His parents never got to tell him
They left him when he was a child
And when he found he was a demon
That was the last day that he smiled.

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 03, 2007, 10:05:59 AM
And the many children of the King shall leap and dance and sing praise in His name, for great is His wisdom and His benevolence.
Fantastic!  What the hell is it?

WhiteFire

Well, two things I've learned reading DMFA so far: first is, we don't know anything that has not been absolutely stated in the comic or by Amber. Second is, speculation in these forums has about a 1% accuracy rate...

Goatmon

I feel I should mention that that little comment was actually sort of a reference to the main character a comic of my own, that I'm currently writing.  Namely, Kevin. (My avatar)

I'd go into more detail, but nobody really cares. =P

Tapewolf

Quote from: WhiteFire on September 03, 2007, 10:11:04 AM
Well, two things I've learned reading DMFA so far: first is, we don't know anything that has not been absolutely stated in the comic or by Amber. Second is, speculation in these forums has about a 1% accuracy rate...
The 'Dragon Kingdom' is from the Demonology - note that it doesn't say whether this is true, however.  It's listed as a rumour.

And I think it's a bit more like 10% in the accuracy stakes :P
To some degree the 'close the link' theory is wishful thinking/hope that it isn't literally genocide.
On the other hand, it is one of the few possible ways I can think of that they could silently sweep Furrae clean of virtually-invulnerable dragons overnight without anyone knowing.  "Half the world will sleep through it" (725)

Caswin

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 03, 2007, 10:07:09 AM
Quote from: Goatmon on September 03, 2007, 09:52:40 AM
Rough times, learning that one of your parents is an evil monster.   :<

Curiously this comes as I'm mixing down the final version of 'What Did Daniel Think He Was?' which is about Dan's despair when he discovers he's a monster.
Quote from: Caswin on August 26, 2007, 09:19:56 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 26, 2007, 04:16:49 AMDan discovers he's a soul-eating monster himself.
DahDahDahdahdah.  :V

Dan is not a soul-eating monster.  He has the potential to be one, and doubtless there are 'cubi out there who would like him to think he has no choice...
Etc.  Sorry, but when you say it like that's what he is...
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 03, 2007, 10:05:59 AM
What he said.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Caswin on September 03, 2007, 10:33:20 AM
What he said.

The quote is a reference to the fourth and final game of the Chzo Mythos, a set of freeware horror-adventure style games, beginning with "5 Days A Stranger". As I'm a heinous individual who likes trying to hook people on the series, it's downloadable from the official website, here.

And now back to the thread, so I don't derail it. *disappear*
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Alondro

*Charline cackles*  See?  I told you so!  Destania is just like ME!!  Except I didn't use children and infants for torture.  They're much too useful as food ingredients.  So tender and tasty, souls so innocent and trusting... such a treat to eat!   :veryevil

*Charles erms*  Thank goodness I'm already a twisted furvert with a spoiled bitter soul from endless hours in the laboratory inhaling mutagens.   :blankstare   But look!  Fa'lina had pity on the young Beings!  I told you all she was nice!  Oh Fa'lina, how do I love thee?  Let me count the ways...

*Charline begins to feel ill*   :I
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Aridas

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 03, 2007, 09:18:49 AM

Unless May took up the sword and killed an evil entity then Able is not an adventurer's son.
I meant that Dan was the adventurer, actually. The adventurer with a crazy parent. Abel isn't an adventurer, but he has a crazy parent, and Jerry Springer shows always stray from the primary subject as long as it's the same in essence. :|

Then again, all shows along those lines do that too.

Turnsky

*Ding Ding!*

All Aboard for the train straight through Denial, just past misery, and all the way to catatonia!..

Goatmon

Quote from: Alondro on September 03, 2007, 11:06:39 AM
*Charline cackles*  See?  I told you so!  Destania is just like ME!!  Except I didn't use children and infants for torture.  They're much too useful as food ingredients.  So tender and tasty, souls so innocent and trusting... such a treat to eat!   :veryevil

*Charles erms*  Thank goodness I'm already a twisted furvert with a spoiled bitter soul from endless hours in the laboratory inhaling mutagens.   :blankstare   But look!  Fa'lina had pity on the young Beings!  I told you all she was nice!  Oh Fa'lina, how do I love thee?  Let me count the ways...

*Charline begins to feel ill*   :I

Meh, a smart demon knows to harness that pure innocence before damaging the flesh.  You have any idea what kind of street cred that stuff has in hell?   >:3

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 03, 2007, 10:40:19 AM
Quote from: Caswin on September 03, 2007, 10:33:20 AM
What he said.

The quote is a reference to the fourth and final game of the Chzo Mythos, a set of freeware horror-adventure style games, beginning with "5 Days A Stranger". As I'm a heinous individual who likes trying to hook people on the series, it's downloadable from the official website, here.

And now back to the thread, so I don't derail it. *disappear*

oooo! I thought it sounded familiar.  You sure it's not in "5 Days" as well?

speaking of which, 5 Days is a fantastic game.  I just can't seem to find the patience to play 6 Days, 7 days, and Trillby's Notes.

Alan Garou

Okay, I now officially hate Destiana. I can stomach nearly any horrible practice if I try hard enough, but the second one harms infants or little kids, I consider them unredeemable. Even if she weren't planning genocide, she'd still be a sick, vicious monster.