Interesting videos: regurgitated

Started by superluser, July 22, 2007, 06:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's an incredibly cool concept, there, superluser.

Cool. *posts to lots of folks*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

A couple others I've run across in the past couple of days:

Remember photomosaics?  This is an audiomosaic.

Fantasie-Impromptu.  The slow version and the fast version. (I still prefer Horowitz's version)

(I think they slowed it down for Pop'n Music)

Ryudo Lee

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ryudo Lee

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 08, 2007, 12:32:22 PM
That's an incredibly cool concept, there, superluser.
Cool. *posts to lots of folks*

Am I missing something?  It's just a basic piano-roll display like this one but without the rest of the GUI.  I don't recognise the sequencer, but it's the sort of thing I use to write all my music for the last eight years so I don't really see what's so amazing about it...  :/

Ryudo, I'll check the NG link later, but Jean Michel Jarre did a pretty decent version.  The Sky version will always have a place in my heart.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

The amazing bit is colouring all the bits and pieces and putting it in front of me. ;-]

Ok, ok, so it's not that great. -I- thought it was cool, though. :-P

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 14, 2007, 04:26:53 AMAm I missing something?  It's just a basic piano-roll display like this one but without the rest of the GUI.  I don't recognise the sequencer, but it's the sort of thing I use to write all my music for the last eight years so I don't really see what's so amazing about it...  :/

Graphic design is a very peculiar thing.  Something that looks almost identical can be a very different concept.  In the Clair de Lune video, it looks almost like the guy has taken colored glass strips and set them on a table.  When notes a half step apart are played together, the bars overlap and make a new color, and when the note is played, the lightness is changed, but the hue remains constant.  The color scheme is Harmonic coloring, which makes adjacent on the color wheel notes which are a perfect fifth apart.

This is really cool for a composer like Debussy, because it means that when Debussy is in the key of D-flat Major, all the notes are reds and magentas and purples, and when he plays a g-natural, it pops out as a green.  Thus, Debussy's dissonance is really enhanced.  In fact, I've looked at a few others done by this guy, and they're not as good because they don't play with this dissonance.

In comparison, the UI that you linked to is very busy.  There are a ton of elements in that.  You've got a lot of red blocks, all the same color, and then you've got a white line on the left and top, and a black line on the bottom and right, and a black line around all of that, and that is set inside a grey box and set on a white background, and every measure line is darker, and every octave line is blue.  And nothing overlaps.  It doesn't dance, like the one in the video.

The one in the video reminds me a lot of Mondrian and especially his Boogie Woogies:

Edit: And yes, I am aware that Mondrian would throw a fit about this guy using colors which are not primaries.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on December 14, 2007, 12:41:36 PM
Graphic design is a very peculiar thing.  Something that looks almost identical can be a very different concept.  In the Clair de Lune video, it looks almost like the guy has taken colored glass strips and set them on a table.  When notes a half step apart are played together, the bars overlap and make a new color, and when the note is played, the lightness is changed, but the hue remains constant.  The color scheme is Harmonic coloring, which makes adjacent on the color wheel notes which are a perfect fifth apart.

Ah.  Obviously you have a far better appreciation of the use of colour than I do...

Now this is a really, really strange piece of film of a cat having its back scratched:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SCzN4d_7xeE

After much deliberation I conclude the cat is enjoying it, since they aren't trying to escape or slit the wrists of the person responsible.

**EDIT**
And Ryudo, enjoy:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b0-1CRAFgck  [Sky: Toccata (abridged)]
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_XUbYWSScRo  [Complete]

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dannysaysnoo

Spine-Scratching in cats apparently works best if they don't know you are doing it. I've tried it, and i get much better reactions if they dont know you are there.

LionHeart

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 14, 2007, 01:28:37 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b0-1CRAFgck  [Sky: Toccata (abridged)]
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_XUbYWSScRo  [Complete]

I remember hearing this for the first time many years ago, and it immediately became one of my favourites.

I haven't heard it in years. Very nice. Thanks for that.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Dannysaysnoo

Paladin Sheppard

llearch n'n'daCorna

Dannysaysnoo

Ryudo Lee

Paladin Sheppard

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/877795/sexy_girls_shooting_guns/ NSFW! If you're not a fan of Bikini clad women and firearms I would recommend you don't look...But if you are GO WATCH!!

For those interested the weapons in order and timestamp are...

at 0.09 a SiG-552 with a C-Mag (The Magazine is so called because its is shaped like a C)
at 0.32 we have a Barrett Model 468 also with a C-Mag
at 1.02 we move on to a M60E belt fed machine gun
at 1.32 there is a AK-74 (THe big giveaway that its a -74 and not a AK-47 is the orange mag >:3)
at 1.46 we switch to a USI sub-machine gun (Or a clone of one there is like a million of those and its hard to tell)
at 1.49 my knowledge comes up short...I know its a .50cal bolt action rifle but little more and the sites I know don't have a listing like it.
We move back the the M468 for a second at 2.08 and a young lady who is a little overwhelmed by the recoil :3
And then its back to the .50 cal when we hit 2.12
Assault style at 2.25 with the H&K MP-5K or Kurz (German for short) The compact version of the popular MP-5
at 2.35 we move to the H&K G36  (personally I love the look of this assault rifle)
at 3.00 its back to the the sub-machine gun class with the FN P90C with a lovely 50 round mag of 5.7mm ammo
at 3.22 we have a line up of the girls with different weapons (all listed above).
at 3.31 we have what I believe to be a M104 shotgun
at 3.38 its back to the .50 cal rifle, and I know I might get told off for this but man watch the butt jiggle!! :D
And at 3.47 to the end we are back the the 7.62mm M60E

Edit: I found the .50 Cal rifle. It is a ArmaLite AR-50 sniper rifle.

superluser

superluser

You know how much I hate doubleposting, right?  So you know I'd have to have a really good reason to do it.  I do.

Enough with the Trajan! (please ignore the fact that this guy is using Helveeta, the epitome of overused)

And a murder mystery based on Trajan.

The sad thing is that Trajan is actually a really cool typeface.  It was used for the inscription of Trajan's Column, which is held up as the finest example of Roman square capitals.  But now it's used for everything, and a lot of people are getting sick of it.

Drake Manaweilder

Oddly enough, I don't wanna be the guy. :cry
Man that would piss me off...  :censored

Ryudo Lee

Rakala

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cYWfq--Nw
Okay guys, I did this a little bit back. Some of you may have seen it already. I want to know what everyone thinks. Also I did not do this just to post on Youtube. I did it to win a bet.

bill

llearch n'n'daCorna

bill

amazing

(not sarcastic)

llearch n'n'daCorna

techmaster-glitch

Whoa...that was pretty cool. Isn't it a coincidence that I just heard this song, like, yesterday, for the first time? Good thing I did.

Nice job, if that was really you who did it.

llearch n'n'daCorna