I'm really scared...

Started by Angel, July 07, 2007, 07:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

One of my best friends has wanted to join the Army for a long time. This month has been a little tough for her, as one of my other friends decided they couldn't be friends anymore - shortly before a convention my friend had already paid for. She's decided to enlist early, and her mother finally has caved in. My friend is turning 17 in October, which, I assume, is when she'll enlist.

I'm incredibly nervous right now. I feel kind of sick, I'm scared and worried, and even though this is her decision, I really don't want her to do this. I don't know if she's going to finish school, or if she'll get shipped overseas, or anything.

EDIT: Well, I talked to her again, and the good news is she's gonna finish school first. This makes me a lot less nervous.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

superluser

Quote from: Black_angel on July 07, 2007, 07:38:47 PMI'm incredibly nervous right now. I feel kind of sick, I'm scared and worried, and even though this is her decision, I really don't want her to do this.

Good.  That's how you should feel.

War is scary, and I have nothing but respect for those who are willing to become a part of it.  Your friend should know what she's getting herself into, but as you say, it's her decision.

I'm very sorry to hear that her friend bailed on her.  That's rough.  I don't support what we're doing in Iraq right now, and I have nothing but contempt for the boneheads running our military

but short of war crimes, you'll never hear me say a word against our girls on the ground over there.  That's how it should be.  Honor and respect--our soldiers deserve nothing less.

p.s. officer or enlistedwoman?

(p.p.s. it occurs to me that I never asked ilpalazzo whether he was going through officer training.  If you're reading this, il, you might want to answer)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Damaris

Officer training usually means college classes at West Point (or the proper school for your branch), or having completed college previously.  Someone who's joining up at 18 is probably just in the enlisted category.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

superluser

Quote from: Damaris on July 09, 2007, 10:58:37 PMOfficer training usually means college classes at West Point (or the proper school for your branch), or having completed college previously.  Someone who's joining up at 18 is probably just in the enlisted category.

Ah.  I know very little about how you get into the military.  All I know is that my dad was an officer, and he never went to a military academy.  He joined up straight out of college because he knew he'd be drafted otherwise.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Damaris

Yeah, the college completion helped him out.  Sometimes, if you're *extremely* smart, they'll promote you, however it's not likely.  My grandfather (career navy), could diagnose sub problems over the phone, and was never promoted beyond midshipman.  (Which was "management," but very low level.)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Angel

Quote from: superluser on July 08, 2007, 01:27:15 AM
Quote from: Black_angel on July 07, 2007, 07:38:47 PMI'm incredibly nervous right now. I feel kind of sick, I'm scared and worried, and even though this is her decision, I really don't want her to do this.

Good.  That's how you should feel.

War is scary, and I have nothing but respect for those who are willing to become a part of it.  Your friend should know what she's getting herself into, but as you say, it's her decision.

I'm very sorry to hear that her friend bailed on her.  That's rough.  I don't support what we're doing in Iraq right now, and I have nothing but contempt for the boneheads running our military

but short of war crimes, you'll never hear me say a word against our girls on the ground over there.  That's how it should be.  Honor and respect--our soldiers deserve nothing less.

p.s. officer or enlistedwoman?

(p.p.s. it occurs to me that I never asked ilpalazzo whether he was going through officer training.  If you're reading this, il, you might want to answer)

I'm not sure which she'll be doing, but thanks. Like I said, I'm happy she's finishing school first, and maybe this'll help her out for college. I'm willing to support her decision.
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Knight

Joining the army is either BBQ or suicide and almost nothing in between.  Right now, it's probably suicide.

xHaZxMaTx

Oh, I'm sure she's feeling much better, now.

ilpalazzo

There is a reason I didn't join the Army...... Some of my idiot friends went in...... I stick with being a Marine.

Angel

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on July 12, 2007, 01:45:40 AM
Oh, I'm sure she's feeling much better, now.

Thanks, Hazzie. And trust me, Richter, I know war can be dangerous. My great-uncle died in Vietnam, and I have a cousin in Iraq right now. I don't need to feel any more scared than I am.
BANDWAGON JUMP!

lucas marcone

well angie im in the same boat as you so to speak.... my friend tom is joining up...well has and went through bootcamp our senior year.  i am really not to happy about it but eh whatcha gonna do? anyway i hope your friend keeps her head above water.

Feroluce

I guess I have kinda a skewed perspective on this.

When a friend of mine has difficulty making a choice, I will listen, and try to guide them on what I think they want, or what I think they need. Mostly, I just pick out what problems they have with making the choice, and try and resolve those, as opposed to making the choice for them or deciding what I would do in their place.

Once someone has made a choice, however, I have to step back and respect that. Its really really hard to do, but its what they need you to do. More importantly, its what you have to do - it is their life, and all, so even though you can offer advice until the stars fall, you cant dictate to them what to do.

You're friend joining the Army isnt something thats new to you. I mean, shes' been thinking about it for some time. Sure, her friends ditching her may have been a trigger, but this was gonna happen sooner or later. Its not something she has done rashly, or without thinking about the possible consequnces herself.

Yeah, I guess its natural for you to be scared for her. I probably would be as well, given the current world climate. Having said that... Well, Its obvious you care for her. Do you care for her enough to let her do what she chose to do? its a hard choice, one where you have to complete drop any feelings that are in any way selfish. Do you want to stop her because you would feel bad if she got hurt? Or do you want to let her go knowing that she knows she could get hurt, but wants to make a difference anyway?

Its kinda tough. But I know you will get though it, and so will she. All ya gotta do is accept a choice made outside your control ;) and we do that every time we vote, lol.

Boog

Yikes. For a while my little brother was dead set on joining the army. He wasn't even about to be allowed to join anytime soon, and that was still scary. Don't worry, even if she did join we'd be fairly likely to be out of this mess by the time she finished training. She have a particular military institution in mind?

Brunhidden

My wife wants to join the navy, and i support her on this. its not like the army, you dont get trained to stand in the desert and get shot at- you train for a job on a ship which is pretty much a floating city or you train for a job in a city that makes ships. either way she could possibly take me and short stuff with her.

different positions in the military have different levels of safety, i would be horrified at the thought of my short angry viking wife being sent to the middle east as a foot soldier, if she were a marine i would constantly bite my nails, an air force officer i wouldn't worry too much but check on her constantly... but navy? on a steel island covered in fighter planes and supported by nuclear ICBMs is a pretty safe place to be, they even have malls on those things. Besides, shes all about the viking     ( All hail Thor! ) , and the recruitment officer thinks theres a number of cushy jobs like information officer or translator she would excel at.

sadly her body fat percentile is too high to sign up, and thats keeping us from a decent lifestyle and a fat retirement plan.

I have several friends and many relatives who had a service in the military, and most of them say they're better for the experience. feel safe in that casualties are so low, everyone goes on and on about the death tolls adding up every day not realizing that the 5 soldiers who died said day are less then one tenth of one half of one percent of the troops stationed there. Pick up a history book and check what the body counts used to be, being in the army today is about as safe as going skiing, and a hundred times safer then having your genitals pierced at a certified piercing salon...or whatever they call themselves.

QuoteBLOOD FOR ODIN!
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

DarkAudit

It's not all that. For starters, the most likely town you'll get stuck in is Norfolk. Norfolk sucks. The only thing it had going for it for me was that it was only 6 hours from home, so I could get away on weekends. Mayport/Jacksonville isn't much better.

No matter what 'cushy' rate you get, if you're a shipboard rate, you'll spend more time cleaning or chipping and painting than any really 'cool' stuff.

I got to do things and see places I would never would have been able to otherwise, but the costs were more than I would be willing to pay if I had to choose all over again.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

ShadowStep

Quote from: ilpalazzo on July 12, 2007, 11:19:22 AM
There is a reason I didn't join the Army...... Some of my idiot friends went in...... I stick with being a Marine.

My Dad was a sargent for the Marines in dessert storm. And btw, you'r actually suppost to go at a pretty young age... My Dad went there at 25 and he told me he was one of the older people there. But that might just be back then, I dunno..... Sorry im im wrong. Oh and good luck with you'r friend in the Army, I'll say a prayer for her.