Brotherhood of the Machine (IC) [PG/14]

Started by Ryudo Lee, June 08, 2007, 09:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techmaster-glitch

Jexx listend to both Exo and Jackson, then grinned slightly. "Long enough, eh? Well, if your robot here is telling me about the dangers of the Towers, then no more than a year, tops. I tried to break into one once." Jexx then smiled ruefully, "Nearly got my ass vaporized to Kingdom Come on that particular escapade. I didn't even have enough time to find what I was looking for."
  Jexx was once again silent for a moment. "Am I with you? Well, 'with an entire organization watching my back'," Jexx grins at Jackson, "How can I refuse? But I do have one other question," Jexx moved closer to Jackson and Exo, and dropped his voice to a low whisper, "Have either of you ever heard about something called 'Project Fusion'?"

Ryudo Lee

The man who had approached Griffith earlier approached him again.
"Ah, you made it.  Come on, everyone's already here." He said.
He started walking over towards warehouse 19.

~~

Jackson shrugged.
"Just whispers is all.  Project Fusion is one of those little things that we want to get information on.  As I said earlier, we have a lot of questions about the Brotherhood that we want to get answered." He said.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

bill

Griffith turned to the odd-looking man, as they walked toward the building together.

"So, uh, what's going on? Is this a job interview, or somethin'?"

Ryudo Lee

The man walked towards the warehouse and spoke without turning his head.
"Something like that.  I'm with the rebellion.  We've taken notice of you, and would like to extend an invitation for you to join us.  We've already assembled a fine group of people inside.  I think you might like 'em." He said.

Tapewolf

Dorcan cast a nervous glance at the newcomer as they came in.  "Far be it from me to question his integrity, but the more people you invite... Uh...  What I'm trying to say is...  Speaking hypothetically... Do you have a backup plan in case he should say 'no' and run straight to the Brotherhood?"

"No offence," he added quickly, with an apologetic look at the stranger.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

At Jackson's responce to Jexx's inquiry, Jexx replied, "Well, I know of several Brotherhood facilities, a few of them towers, some of them not. While I highly doubt that they are the actuall locations of the P.F. labs, I have reason to believe that they may contain information, clues, or coordinates to the real labs." Jexx then got a deep frown. "Unless I blew up the only one in existance, two years ago..." Jexx's eyes unfocused slighly, as if he was looking at something in the distance, or deep in troubling thoughts. But a moment late Jexx was back to normal.
  "But that doesn't matter at the moment. What matters is we are looking for the same thing, so I guess I don't have to ask you for your help in this. It is the only thing I want in exchange for aiding you; help in finding those labs."
  Then Jexx stood back, raising his voice back to normal. "If you want to know why I'm so dead-set of finding them," he said, "Forget it. Those are personal reasons that I will keep to myself, for now. While you guys definately seem to be honorable, I've still only just met you. Maybe later, when you really have proven yourself of my personal trust, I'll tell you. But for now, let's just leave it out of the loop.
   "By the way, my name's Jexx."
   That's when another person walked in, and a Doberman in the ring said something about it.

Ryudo Lee

"We are quite confident in our picks.  Should the unforseen happen, we are well prepared to move to another location, and as you can see, we are quite able to defend ourselves in the event of a raid." Jackson replied.
He looked over at Jexx.
"We share a common goal then.  We too are interested in this Project Fusion.  We can help each other out here." He said.

bill

Walking in, Griffith turned to the speaker.
"I will work for whoever pays me. And when I work, I'm good for it, as long as my employers are."
Stopping, he placed his suitcase on the floor, smiled, and outstretched his hand.
"Jack Griffey. Southbay."

Ryudo Lee

Jackson approached Griffith and shook his hand.
"Jackson Phoenix.  If you'll work with us, we'll pay you well.  Welcome to the rebellion." He said.
He took a few steps back and turned to address the group.
"I'm going to go see about lining up some missions for you guys.  In the meantime, please, get to know each other.  If you need anything, just ask.  If you'd like to back out, now's the time to do it." He said.
He turned and walked away.

Azlan

Morgan made note of the new entries as his TC toiled away.

"I suppose I am in the rebellion now.  Well everyone, I hope we have complimentary skills and abilities.  I am Morgan Kell.  I do hope we all can function professionally together."  Morgan smiled, a somewhat pleasant expression, but still remaining neutral.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

techmaster-glitch

"So, you're bein' secretive about your past too, huh?" Jexx said to Morgan, grinning slightly, then turned to the group. "Well, my name is Jexx, and I'll at least say that I've been fighting the Brotherhood all by my lonesome for the past two years. And, quite honestly, that's it."
   Jexx looked back to Morgan. "There, I've forked out what I can, and, unless you are some sort of Botherhood spy, I don't see why you couldn't share at least one personal story, huh?"

Boog

The newcomers were unexpected, to say the least. Still sluggish from his earlier blast, the most Mister could do about the oncoming plasma fire was stop driving, roll, and raise his arms to a defensive curl and let the brotherhood's assault slag parts of the limbs rather than his far more important midsection. After the first volley he grabbed up a pair of their dropped rifles, his oversized mitts allowing him to wield two as though they were hand weapons, and returned fire.

Azlan

Morgan smiled slightly, crossing his arms in front of himself, "I have not been fighting the Brotherhood at all.  I am a software programmer, applications programmer that is, for Zenithsoft.  I do however, provide independent system access and data collection for needed parties on the side.  I've never 'hacked' for the Brotherhood, but I have entered their virtual constructs and retrieved data before."

He turned to the rest of the team and spread his arms wide, "There we are, who's next?"
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Tapewolf

"Dorcan Ja'Fell," said Dorcan.  "Since I'm basically an alien, I don't know if it's worth giving a greatly detailed account of my life story as it probably won't make much sense.  In the 330 odd years I have lived, I have known persecution.  My family broke away from our founding clan and we were marked for death.  I have been hunted by others because I was a Creature - magical, I mean - and very nearly killed."

Dorcan hesitated.  He didn't want to offer a direct lie, but he didn't want to reveal everything yet either, so he had settled on a half-truth.  The only question was how much to tell them.

"The operation that saved my life cost me my powers," he continued, "but I think it was a fair exchange.  It's left me reliant on technology for things I would have done magically before though, so I have spent the last fifteen years studying it more thoroughly that I did at the Academy.

"I was stranded here after an accident with a dimensional gateway that I was helping to test.    I was going to sit tight and wait for the Gate to be reestablished, but the Brotherhood tried to kill me.  I can see that they are of the same stock as the Mayor who ordered me to be killed, so even though I am new to this world and its politics, I have a vested interest in seeing them fall.  In any case, I owe my life to the rebels and so it would only be fair to assist them in whatever way I can."

"Anyway.  That's it in short," he explained.  "I guess I can answer any questions people have, but to be honest, I'd be interested to hear other people's stories.  It would help me become more familiar with this place."

Arcalane

Exo glances around, then speaks up a bit.

"Statement: Unit is known as 'Exo' to allies, full designation follows; EXO-2000, M.F.A.U - Multi-Functional Assault Unit. Unit was designed by Brotherhood Engineers as a sequel to the EXO-1800 project, a failed attempt to construct a series of robots designed to seek and kill mages. Data indicates the EXO-1800 project failed due to underestimation of the abilities of the mages targeted, although several prototypes were intercepted and destroyed by Rebellion agents. The remainder were never finished. Unit was the first and sole prototype of the EXO-2000 project. Prior to completion of the project, however, Rebellion agents raided the development complex. It was a remote location, far from Brotherhood support, and far from the Rebellion... or so the Brotherhood had hoped. Rebellion agents raided the facility and killed most personnel. They then proceeded to debate continued existance of the prototype and project. One group wished to destroy the project before it could be used. The other wished to salvage the prototype and project for the Rebellion's own goals. Eventually, a compromise was reached. Technicians would modify the chassis and wipe all Brotherhood programming, then install a learning artificial intelligence, and, after some time, exposed it to both Brotherhood and Rebellion propoganda, as well as the truth, allowing the aforementioned artificial intelligence to choose it's own path."

It nodded a little.

"Summary: Unit decided to assist the Rebellion. That is all that needs to be said."

bill

"What, all I get to say is my name?"
Griffith spoke up again.
"As I said, Jack Griffith from Southbay. Ten years in the Navy Amphib, six in the Coastie's drug squad, and one doing nothing in particular. Just moved here three months ago.To be bloody well honest, I don't really care 'bout this little war you all have going on. But, I've got a feeling I'll like the work, so, uh, here I am."

techmaster-glitch

Jexx nodded slightly at Griffith's comment about not caring about the war. "I guess that puts you and I in a similar boat." Jexx said. "Right up until now, I didn't care about the conflict between the Rebellion and the Brothehood, either. I have, however, always hated the Brotherhood, and, I'll say again, for reasons I will keep to myself...for now."

Kryptic

Baiye brightened up a little, setting Gid down, and taking her turn on the floor.

"Um, I'm Baiye Whytehawk, Mechanic and Robotics Engineer. My history is far from interesting - I make simple electronics out of scrap and budget parts. I personally have tried to keep myself away from this business as long as possible, but if I had to join a side, I would much rather choose the rebellion. I developed Gidget - A canine android on a rather cheap budget - and I've made a PC headset and some gloves that function as a keyboard. That's about all." She smiled hesitantly, and her eyes shot to the floor, a bit embarrassed.

Considering himself at LEAST as important as Baiye - Gidget also decided to introduce himself, though it was probably more of an ego-trip than anything...

"I'm Gidget: Prototype 001 D.O.G. - Data Organizing coGnitive robot. Baiye developed me a year or two ago, and I'm pretty much an encyclopedia on four paws. She calls me a budget AI - but being AI meant for an android in a dog's form has been entertaining, to say the least. I enjoy long walks on the beach and surfing the internet in my spare time. I have a relatively good knowledge of mechanics, myself - but I'm not gifted with opposable thumbs."

techmaster-glitch

Jexx looked around, and his gaze settled on a somewhat short man in the circle who hand't spoken up yet.
   "What about you?" Jexx asked. "What's your name, and do you have anything interesting to say about yourself?"

Paladin Sheppard

"Victor...Or Vic is ok, I'm just here for the money and a little payback" Victor held out his hand to shake the others and patted the top of Gidget's head.

((OOC: Victor's arm looks normal exept for the slot the blade comes out))

Tapewolf

Dorcan looked at Gidget and smiled.
"Back home we have the R&D complex guarded by robotic panthers," he said.  "Feral ones I mean, not humanoid.  I don't know where their AI came from, but I suspect they were intended for quadrupedal forms from day one."
He looked at the small dog.  "What kind of power source do you use, if I may ask?"

Kryptic

Gidget blinked at the pat - obviously pleased - and looked up at the much taller figure of Dorcan as he asked his question. He smirked a little and started his narration. Seriously - encyclopedia on paws.

"I have a system of Manganese-Based Lithium Ion batteries. There's seven in my - well, I guess you could call it a torso - that I use in a rotational basis. I typically "plug in" every night, updating my databases as well as charging - Somewhat like a music player, I guess. I could last around a week without a charge, provided I haven't used any really draining programs... And I like to keep a trickle charge on, when I can."

Baiye chuckled - "It's his Security Blanket, the wimp. He's fine if he's not plugged in every night - I may be a little on the budget side, but I always make sure it's efficient."

The dog glanced up at Baiye, pouting - and then blew her a rather odd canine raspberry.

"I'd like to think of it as a safety precaution. Never know when you're going to up and haul me on one of these excursions."

Baiye smiled and scratched the back of her head, her fingers interlacing with her silver hair. "As for the A.I. - I believe that Gid's programming was originally intended for a human-relations career, that's why he seems so different from Exo  - he's supposed to act like a living being, with a human-like personality so organics could identify with him, as opposed to, no offense, Exo, but, a killing machine, or at least that's how your AI seems to be directed." She winced, casting her eyes down. 

"But back to Gid: I'm afraid his extreme sarcastic streak comes from his four-legged situation. You'd probably have one too, being "born" into such an ironic situation - He'd probably be more 'normal' had he been lucky enough to have been purchased by someone else."

She became a little somber again though... gray eyes clouded and biting her lip, in contemplation of Exo's situation.

Arcalane

Exo shakes it's head.

"Correction: Rebellion technicians installed learning artificial intelligence. You are correct in that it was optimized towards combat, however, it is still in it's first operational year, and is quite capable of making significant changes over the first two or three years. The frame is, as you say, a purpose-built killing machine."

One of the techs sighs and shakes his head, then walks over and pats the `bot on the shoulder.

"What he's trying to say is that he talks like that because he doesn't know any other ways of talking. More a limitation of age rather than specific design... the learning part is extremely important here. The AI starts as any computer would... very logical and methodical. However, with careful attention and guidance, and plenty of time, you can 'grow' it into anything. You'll probably be stuck with him talking like that until he lightens up a little."

Tapewolf

"Yes," said Dorcan, looking at the technician.  "It is the same with the panthers.  The younger ones are very logical and easily confused.  The older ones - difficult to tell from you or I in a normal conversation."

"I'm a little surprised about the batteries," he added to Gid.  "I'd assumed it was some kind of in-place power generation, although I obviously know little enough about the technology on this world.  Did I hear someone mentioning fusion just now?"

Ryudo Lee

The zealots and enforcer all scattered and ran.  Some of the rebellion men gave chase.  One of the rebellion members approached Mister.
"We knew your master." He said plainly. "He supported us.  We've been keeping an eye on his mansion, to make sure that this kind of thing wouldn't happen to you.  But they got under our radar somehow.  In short, we're here to help." He said.

~~

Jackson sat at his desk, looking over pictures of the newest recruits.  A woman in a rebellion uniform stood on the other side of his desk.
"We need to see what they can do before we have them dive in head first." He said.
"I suppose the easiest thing would be to have them investigate Northon." The woman replied.
Jackson nodded his head.
"The reports from Northon give me the creeps.  But they may be able to handle it." He said, and paused for a moment. "They'll need a medic.  Bring me Dr. Joywaves."
The woman snapped a salute and walked out.

techmaster-glitch

"Fusion? Oh, you mean Project Fusion?" Jexx started, looking at the extreamly bizzare multi-winged doberman-thing called Dorcan. "When I talked to Jackson, I think I got the gist that not even the Rebellion really knows anything about it." Jexx glanced at Exo, as if wanting some sort of silent confirmation. "I, however, do know a few details about it. I should probably wait until Jackson gets back. He will want to hear about it too, I think.
   "And no, it doesn't have anything to do with nuclear fusion power."

Boog

The raiders were fleeing in reaction to this onslaught of allies. Mister dusted himself off and let the rifles fall to the ground, then clasped his hands together and gave the apparant spokesperson for the rebels a low, respectful bow.
"I appreciate your aid, good sir," his voice had a slight, tinny echo with an accent most associated with culture. He was, after all, a servant to high society, "Am I correct in my assumption that you are those my master left to aid?" there was a slight note of hope in the construct's voice, "He left for some manner of battle approximately 1,000 years ago, and ever since the other retainers left I have been hard pressed to keep the mansion in repair for him. Admittedly, his return is unlikely, but..." It would take quite a bit to get around Mister's dignety and get him to admit that he had held out some small amount of hope.

Ryudo Lee

The rebellion man shook his head.
"Not exactly.  He left a good portion of his estate to certain people who wound up in our organization.  So in a way, he was indirectly supporting us.  I think maybe you should come with us.  Your master isn't a part of this world anymore, but you can help finish the work he started." He said.

Boog

Mister was confused, "Leave the manor, good sir? But... My orders are to look after the master's grounds. Even if he is... not here..." the construct was quite distraught by all this; he and the master had been fairly close. Mister's first memory was being introduced to the master as his tenth birthday gift while he was still hot from the forge. What would the master do without him? Even if it was the afterlife, the fellow could barely remember to wear socks on a good day! "I cannot allow his grounds to fall into a state of disrepair! All of the retainers have left, and I am the only one of his constructs to maintain faith in my function and not ceace repairing and refueling myself. I can understand his wanting me to continue his work, yes..." the machine conceded, "But I cannot in good conscience leave if there is nobody to continue in my stead. Who were these enemies of my master?" He gestured toward the fleeing brotherhood troops, "for what reason would they wish harm upon him and his property?"

Ryudo Lee

The rebellion man shook his head again.
"In short, they're the Brotherhood of the Machine.  They don't like magic, and therefore they don't like you or who your master was.  We're the rebellion, we're fighting against them.  If you really want to look after what your master had, then come with us.  The money from his estate has been well invested in our organization, and we could use something like you.  Your alternative is to stay here, continue to fight off the Brotherhood, and eventually... possibly get dismantled by the Brotherhood, the hard way." He said.