Knocked Up (movie review)

Started by Darkmoon, June 01, 2007, 11:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

Although the turn out for the theater could have been better, it wasn't bad for a comedy in the middle of Blockbuster Season.

The Story:
Guy meets hot girl, who just so happens to be way, way out of his league (like, she's an 8, and he's a 2). Guy and girl hit it off. Guy and girl get busy... and then, 8 weeks later, girl calls guy to mention that, oh, oops, she's pregnant.

Now girl and guy, who really haven't talked in the 8 interceding weeks, get to try and see if there's anything between them... you know, for the baby.

The Details:
The strength of the movie is in the performances. You can tell everyone in the movie is not only committed to the picture, but also to having a good time. As I read somewhere, most of the actors were ad libbing like mad, and what came out of that is one hell of a good time.

The movie is flat out funny. The last movie I laughed at this hard was Wedding Crashers. Interestingly, the humor is more or less along the same bent. If you like fairly ranuchy, R rated humor (with a touch of soul), this movie is right up your alley.

That's not to say everything is sunshine and roses. In kinda thought they put the male lead character through hell, and even though it all ties into the story, I just hated how much he got shat upon in the flick.

Over all, though, it's a fun, hilarious movie that rides along at a decent clip and makes you want to watch it again once it's all over. Few comedies these day are like that, so it gets my approval.

Score: 8.5 out of 10.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Brunhidden

i may rent it eventually, but to me it just seems like a long sting of collage frat humor hinging on beer and drugs- guys drinking beer will love it, and women will love the 'men are pigs' motif.

however i am not drinking beer and i am fairly sure i am not a woman.

QuoteMaturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Netrogo

You're FAIRLY sure but you're not one hundred percent. So there's a chance you'll love the movie and should go see it :mwaha
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Damaris

Darkmoon doesn't drink beer, which may help you with your decision.

I thought it was an interested study of relationships and what makes them tick.  You get to see a lot of the female lead's sister and brother-in-law, which adds a great dimension to the movie.  I'm not a big "college humor" person, and I would highly recommend the film.  That aspect of the movie is just one facet.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

In other words, the previews are playing up one aspect, and the actual movie is different.

Film at eleven.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

Sorta. There's is some college humor, but a lot of it is more mature than that.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...