A question to all readers.

Started by RobbieThe1st, May 29, 2007, 08:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieThe1st

Well, as I have trolled through the various forums, I have heard talk of various people printing DMFA comics. Has anyone printed a few, or the entire archive? Im curious...
While they are low-quality, it wouldn't be *too* hard to print, and as Amber has said that it probly will never be sold in printed copy, I am wondering who, if anyone has printed some or all for they're own enjoyment.

-Robbie

P.S.
Completely off topic but:
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_511.php
Why did Abel call Dan "Fire way Sugar-fluff"? Aside from being some sort of insult, i seem to be missing something. Can someone please enlighten me on this?

Thanks.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

llearch n'n'daCorna

That would be "Fire away, sugar-fluff"

Typo, perhaps, or just talking quickly and merging the words. An injunction "fire away" and an insult "sugar-fluff", as one handy package.

Explanation enough?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on May 29, 2007, 08:07:47 AM
Well, as I have trolled through the various forums, I have heard talk of various people printing DMFA comics. Has anyone printed a few, or the entire archive? Im curious...
While they are low-quality, it wouldn't be *too* hard to print, and as Amber has said that it probly will never be sold in printed copy, I am wondering who, if anyone has printed some or all for they're own enjoyment.

I haven't done all of them, but I have been experimenting with processes to clean them up using GIMP.  First I double the size, then run them through GreyCstoration.  Then I use a bunch of custom scripts to purify the colours (did I send them to you?  Someone was asking recently...)
It leaves you with a somewhat fuzzy image though on account of the interpolation during the doubling-up, but no worse than slightly mismatched colour registration in a real comic.
It might be interesting to experiment with some of the image reconstruction algorithms like SuperEagle, but I haven't found a plugin to implement those.
For small-scale work like the unofficial Wiki portraits for Destania etc, I then reduce them back down 50% using NO interpolation.  This increases the apparent sharpness.  For printouts I use an HP 2605 colour laser which is not so good for photographs but does a wonderful job on DMFA and my album covers.

**EDIT*
Here's an example of the full vs reduced versions:
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/?action=view&current=jsr_av2.png

...I redrew most of the bricks.  Feel free to poke around in the DMFA folder, by the way.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Swift-Skink

I know I've never printed off any of the archives, but then I have a nasty printer... And I'm lazy... Really lazy...

As to the other point, I think he's telling Dan that he can "Fire way" (As in the turn of speech, "Fire away"?) and calling him "Suger-Fluff", which is insulting in the way that calling someone "Sugerlips" (Waaaaayyy too much Morrowind for me.) is likely insulting, unless your close to the person.

EDIT: Damnit! Beaten to the punch! You win this round, Mr. Ilearch, you win this round... >:3

Aridas

why does everyone keep putting an I in llearch? There's no I in llearch at all.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 29, 2007, 08:14:28 AM
That would be "Fire away, sugar-fluff"

Typo, perhaps, or just talking quickly and merging the words. An injunction "fire away" and an insult "sugar-fluff", as one handy package.

Explanation enough?
Oh! Now that makes perfect sense.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 29, 2007, 08:15:54 AM
Quote from: RobbieThe1st on May 29, 2007, 08:07:47 AM

I haven't done all of them, but I have been experimenting with processes to clean them up using GIMP.  First I double the size, then run them through GreyCstoration.  Then I use a bunch of custom scripts to purify the colours (did I send them to you?  Someone was asking recently...)
It leaves you with a somewhat fuzzy image though on account of the interpolation during the doubling-up, but no worse than slightly mismatched colour registration in a real comic.
It might be interesting to experiment with some of the image reconstruction algorithms like SuperEagle, but I haven't found a plugin to implement those.
For small-scale work like the unofficial Wiki portraits for Destania etc, I then reduce them back down 50% using NO interpolation.  This increases the apparent sharpness.  For printouts I use an HP 2605 colour laser which is not so good for photographs but does a wonderful job on DMFA and my album covers.

**EDIT*
Here's an example of the full vs reduced versions:
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/?action=view&current=jsr_av2.png

...I redrew most of the bricks.  Feel free to poke around in the DMFA folder, by the way.
Yea, it was I who was asking. I was your comment from like 10 months or so ago talking about printing some Dmfa comics and wondered if anyone else did it.

Btw, If anyone is wondering, I *have* printed em all - I printed them all a few months ago, however, I was new to Dmfa at that point, and added none of the text-add ons. Recently i have been cleaning up, script-perfect-positioning on the page, removing borders, and resizing as needed. I also add a Chapter page-bit.

By the way - JPEG fuzzing seems not to show up nearly as much once its printed.

A note: with the b/w comics, i was able to clean them really nicely by adjusting contrast and gamma correction via IrfanView - it comes out looking very nice, though it doesn't print quite as nicely if you adjust it as far as possible.

-Robbie

(now I'm off for today)

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Swift-Skink

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 29, 2007, 08:27:48 AM
why does everyone keep putting an I in llearch? There's no I in llearch at all.

Because they're too damn similar, alright! :B

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ellyriun on May 29, 2007, 08:21:32 AM
EDIT: Damnit! Beaten to the punch! You win this round, Mr. Ilearch, you win this round... >:3

Mwahahahaha! llearch wins again, mwahahaha!

... ok, now what?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

i was under the impression that 'sugar fluff' is the furrae equivalent of 'sweet cheeks'

QuoteNothing is more pleasing and engaging than the sense of having conferred benefits. Not even the gratification of receiving them.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

techmaster-glitch

I think it is mostly just how Abel talks. Observe:

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_511.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_608.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_648.php

Its just his way of being an insulting jerkoff to everyone he's around. Which is his deliberate personality, after all.