I was reading through Abel's Story recently, and I decided to record something.

Started by Goatmon, May 02, 2007, 05:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goatmon

I don't know what it is about me, but I seem to always connect with characters the most in the midst of something tragic.  I decided I wanted to do Abel's Monologue about Cindy, leading up to the funeral.

Here's the first page, for lazy people.   http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Abel_31.php

http://media.putfile.com/Abel-Goodbye-Cindy

And, if you're not keen on going to putfile, try this out.  http://public.box.net/supergumdrops27145

Tapewolf

Has anyone got a direct link to the media?  Putfile destroys all my browsers at work.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tapewolf

Not bad at all.  I'll have to dig out Insane's version and compare them.  You've got a couple of problems with popping but I've heard a lot worse.  Makes me want to set it to music.

**EDIT**
Can you do Pip?  Slip has been forced to leave the project owing to hardware/financial issues  :<

Amber Williams

*whippish* Down! Down Tapewolf! :U

Yeesh...I swear everytime someone does something remotely audio you seem to try to borg them into the radio project or compare it to it.  It's like an audio-monopoly. :B

But anywho, nice monologue there Goatmon.

Goatmon

Thanks Amber.  ^^

And I Think I'll pass on playing Pip, Tapewolf, though I appreciate the offer.  Not that I'm against a DMFA project, I just can't be effed to get around to doing my necessary lines in the Voice Jack thread over at Dave's forum (Where I get to play Jack no less :D), so I'm not about to devote myself to yet another project that I'll end up putting off.

Also, don't mind the popping.  I'm just using my headset which sucks.  I've tried recording it while wearing the thing which only turns out even worse because it picks up every little movement I make and it was recording all sorts of creaky noises and crap while recording.  So, I resigned to simply hold the mic in front of me without breathing directly into it while I talk. 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 02, 2007, 05:59:38 AM
*yipe!*

QuoteYeesh...I swear everytime someone does something remotely audio you seem to try to borg them into the radio project or compare it to it.  It's like an audio-monopoly. :B
Nah, if it was a monopoly I'd be trying to push him out, not constructively criticise :mwaha

Quote from: Goatmon on May 02, 2007, 06:14:42 AM
And I Think I'll pass on playing Pip, Tapewolf, though I appreciate the offer.  Not that I'm against a DMFA project, I just can't be effed to get around to doing my necessary lines in the Voice Jack thread over at Dave's forum (Where I get to play Jack no less :D), so I'm not about to devote myself to yet another project that I'll end up putting off.
Ah well.  Keep it up - I think you've got talent.

Goatmon

Thanks. ^^

Come check it out, if you're interested..  :)  I might also suggest you get ahold of IanD who dwells over there.  He's a wiz with audio.  He took a few clips of mine and put in some uber-creepy sound effects.  Here's one example, and the pages it's based on.  (page 3 is NSFW, btw.)

I'll stop myself now before I link anything else..... >_>;

Tapewolf

Quote from: Goatmon on May 02, 2007, 06:21:19 AM
Come check it out, if you're interested..  :)
I would, but I have an aversion to Jack, unfortunately :P

Netami

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 02, 2007, 06:22:40 AM
I would, but I have an aversion to Jack, unfortunately :P

Har har harrrgh, oil and water!

Goatmon

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 02, 2007, 06:22:40 AMI would, but I have an aversion to Jack, unfortunately :P

Aww, you just haven't been broken in yet.   >:3

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 02, 2007, 05:59:38 AM

Yeesh...I swear everytime someone does something remotely audio you seem to try to borg them into the radio project or compare it to it.  It's like an audio-monopoly. :B

But anywho, nice monologue there Goatmon.

in all honesty, is there any other reason to submit voice samples?

Downloading the sample right now.  Honestly, I'm just glad this thread's not :deadhorse like the last one referencing Abel's story was.(though that turned into a humerous discussion.)

[edit]Still listening, not done, but I've heard enough.  That's really good.  You actually pulled off the "pensive thoughts for a dead friend" feel very well, even if it's still not the Abel voice I hear in my head.  Haven't heard the "official" Radio project version yet, though.[/edit]

superluser

That's an exceptionally good monologue.  Your voice reminds me of the guy from Tales of Mere Existence.  The popping is not as much of an issue as I'd expected, and I'd really suggest not using a pop filter for this type of voice.  I think the breath provides an interesting texture for the voice to work off of, and you'd wind up losing it if you used a filter.

I hate to criticize something so good, but I don't think that the voice matches the situation.  Abel is speaking to Hennya, but the voice sounds like something for a soliloquy, and I doubt that she could hear much of what was said with such a voice.

Of course, if I were the director, and I were given that monologue, I'd probably rewrite that scene so that it was a soliloquy.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

Goatmon

What is it with you people and Pip?  I have a very low, base heavy voice.  I couldn't do something cute if it meant saving my life. 

Zedd

Dont you want some Wyverns wrapped to you? Looking up to you like an idol?

rabid_fox

I like your voice. You've got a certain amount of crisp gravel in there that suits the monologue. Swish. I'm jealous. My voice sounds like a duck crawled down my throat to die.

Oh dear.

Tezkat

Quote from: Goatmon on May 02, 2007, 05:20:29 AM
I don't know what it is about me, but I seem to always connect with characters the most in the midst of something tragic.  I decided I wanted to do Abel's Monologue about Cindy, leading up to the funeral.

I'm inclined to agree with superluser's comment; it does sound more like you're talking to the camera than a friend. An excellent reading nonetheless.
:kittycool

Neat... I didn't know you guys had an audio play thing going as well. Webcomic adaptations seem to be pretty popular these days. I guess I should actually visit the Jack forums once in a while. I recorded myself reading the Mahalo arc a while back (including some really bad female voices) to practice mixing skills, but I haven't yet decided whether it qualifies as postable work or kill it with fire material. :animesweat

Quote from: Goatmon on May 02, 2007, 03:09:50 PM
I have a very low, base heavy voice.  I couldn't do something cute if it meant saving my life. 

Heh... that's no excuse. Base voices are often the most versatile--we have the longest vocal chords with which to play, so both low and high ranges are accessible with a bit of practice. Come over to the cute side!
:kittydevious
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

rabid_fox

You know, I wouldn't mind trying this out. I'm not easily embarrassed, so you'd all be free to chortle most merrily at my voice. A lot of things don't work in an Irish accent, and seriousness is one of those things.

Oh dear.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

rabid_fox

Ooo, I don't know. Jy-jy's voice would have to be soft...though I do picture it in the tenor range. Mab's far too sugar infused for me to handle, and Abel's been done EXTREMELY well by the topic starter.

Oh dear.

Tezkat

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 02, 2007, 05:16:07 PM

You know, I wouldn't mind trying this out. I'm not easily embarrassed, so you'd all be free to chortle most merrily at my voice. A lot of things don't work in an Irish accent, and seriousness is one of those things.

The DMFA Radio Project thread lives just down the page from here. The main site is here. There aren't a whole lot of male roles open at the moment, but were are looking for Devin and Xander (and apparently Pip as well).  :mowcookie

If you're not auditioning for a radio project role, however, just pick your favourite character and have fun with it. Alternate interpretations of a character are always interesting.
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

rabid_fox

There's a radio project? Well, of course I didn't know, having just joined the community and gone from "Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday" viewer to this.

I am intruiged. Also, I *like* Devin.

Oh dear.

superluser

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 02, 2007, 05:16:07 PMA lot of things don't work in an Irish accent, and seriousness is one of those things.

I disagree.  Oh, how I disagree.  Have you ever seen Stigmata?  Terrible film, but Gabriel Byrne plays an outstanding serious role with a thick Irish accent.

Also, I think that Albanion could work with a whimsical Irish accent.  Does he have a voice, yet?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

GabrielsThoughts

it's not like the dialog  for pip is difficult or time consuming "Ki ki ki key ki keh kay ki ki "
In fact we should hold a pip contest, the best pip gets a cookie or something...and as part of the contest I expect everyone to use putfile, no sense in making things easy for Jakob.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 02, 2007, 05:16:07 PM

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 02, 2007, 05:21:12 PM
Jy-Jy? Or Abel?
... Or do we get him to do Mab? :-]

JY JY!  Totally!

I'd at least like to hear a rendition of you doing Jyrras's voice, to find out if I like it.  Apparently, the only person who likes his current voice is the Radio Project director.(no offense.)

Goatmon

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on May 02, 2007, 11:11:09 PM
it's not like the dialog  for pip is difficult or time consuming "Ki ki ki key ki keh kay ki ki "
In fact we should hold a pip contest, the best pip gets a cookie or something...and as part of the contest I expect everyone to use putfile, no sense in making things easy for Jakob.

I never said it was difficult to say his lines. I just "don't do" cute.  :)