Previous Rant links?

Started by Corronis, April 25, 2007, 02:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corronis

Hello, I'm just wondering if there's a place where I can find all of the links that have been in Amber's Rants, or at least some of the most recent ones?

Reese Tora

Quote from: Corronis on April 25, 2007, 02:51:17 AM
Hello, I'm just wondering if there's a place where I can find all of the links that have been in Amber's Rants, or at least some of the most recent ones?

Amber doesn't save teh rants.  Once they are gone from the main apge, they are gone for good. (Well, as 'for good' as anything on the 'net can get, anyway.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tapewolf

Some people have been archiving them for posterity.  Despite my usual tendencies to preserve everything, I have not been doing this except for a few major events and so forth.  Someone here began to collect them on the forum (after the particularly moving Christmas Rant, I do believe) but Amber said it was kind of creepy and asked them to stop.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

It -might- be possible to archive links without offending her, but...

If someone has such a list, I'd be interested - often times, I'd like to follow a link but happen to be busy that week, and by the time I have time free, I'm out of luck.

The other thing you could do is have a look on the links page... they might have travelled there, although I'm not hopeful.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

RobbieThe1st

If you really like said rants, I would suggest you save them, either manually, or with a script like this:
<?php
set_time_limit
(0);
dl('php_curl.dll');
$basedir "./";
echo 
"checking missmab rant\n";
$ch curl_init("http://www.missmab.com");
curl_setopt($chCURLOPT_REFERER,"http://www.missmab.com");
curl_setopt($chCURLOPT_VERBOSE,0);
curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_HEADER,0);
curl_setopt($chCURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER1);
$data curl_exec($ch);
curl_close ($ch);
$data str_replace("\r","",str_replace("\n","",str_replace("\t","",$data)));
$file explode('<TD Class="rant" WIDTH="295" BGCOLOR="WHITE">',$data); 
$test explode('</TD></TR>',$file[1]);
$text trim($test[0]);
$file explode('"',$data);
for(
$i=0$i<count($file); $i++) {
if(stristr($file[$i],'Comics/Vol') && stristr($file[$i],'.jpg')) {
$number str_replace('.jpg','',str_replace('Comics/Vol','',$file[$i]));
};
};
$finaltext $number.": ".$text."\n";
echo 
$finaltext;
$file file($basedir.'rants.txt');
$latesttxt $file[count($file)-1];
if(
$latesttxt == $finaltext) { 
echo "\nRant already up to date.\n";
} else {
$fopen fopen($basedir."rants.txt","a"); fwrite($fopen,$finaltext); fclose($fopen);
echo "\nRant updated.\n";
};
?>

you will need a copy of php, like that which is included in my comic-keep-updated scripts or comicgrab scripts. As it is currently, this script will make a file named rants.txt in your php directory(change the $basedir variable for any other folder) and check for a new rant, and if a new one is found, it will add it to the end of the file(also, it adds the number of the current comic to the beginning of each rant line).
I made this 15 mins or so ago, in response to this topic, cause programing is fun!

-RobbieThe1st

*gets yelled at by people who dont want me to save everything I come across automaticly*

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Heh. Perl is much better for that sort of thing than php.

Give me a while, and I'll write you a perl version. Only not right now, because I have work to do... :-]

edit:
Actually...

#!/bin/bash
OUTPUT="/tmp/output.$$"
LOGFILE="~/Amber_rantlog.txt"
URL="http://missmab.com"

wget -q -O $OUTPUT $URL
if [[ -s $OUTPUT ]]; then
  RANT=$(sed -Pe 's/.*<TD Class="rant" WIDTH="295" BGCOLOR="WHITE">(.+)</TD></TR>.*/\1/' $OUTPUT)
  NUM=$(grep -E 'Comics/Vol[0-9][0-9][0-9].jpg $OUTPUT | sed -e 's/.*Comics/Vol([0-9][0-9][0-9]).jpg/\1/')
  echo $RANT >> $LOGFILE
  uniq $LOGFILE > /tmp/logfile.$$ && mv /tmp/logfile.$$ $LOGFILE
fi
rm /tmp/*.$$

Note that it doesn't do the checking to see if the last line equals the previous one, and it'll probably choke a bit if Amber posts a two-line rant, but other than that, it should work. I haven't tested it, though...

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 25, 2007, 05:23:14 AM

Give me a while, and I'll write you a perl version. Only not right now, because I have work to do... :-]

edit:
Actually...

#!/bin/bash
OUTPUT="/tmp/output.$$"

wget -q -O $OUTPUT $URL
  RANT=$(sed -Pe 's/.*<TD Class="rant" WIDTH="295" BGCOLOR="WHITE">(.+)</TD></TR>.*/\1/' $OUTPUT)
  NUM=$(grep -E 'Comics/Vol[0-9][0-9][0-9].jpg $OUTPUT | sed -e 's/.*Comics/Vol([0-9][0-9][0-9]).jpg/\1/')
  echo $RANT >> $LOGFILE
fi
rm /tmp/*.$$

Note that it doesn't do the checking to see if the last line equals the previous one, and it'll probably choke a bit if Amber posts a two-line rant, but other than that, it should work. I haven't tested it, though...
Yea. I did it the way I did it because ambers rants are multi line(3+ lines today), and this way, it should capture all of the text, no matter the length. It also removes tabs, line feeds and carriage returns, allowing me to stick the entire several line post onto one line of a file! Oh, and i used curl instead of file() because I do that for all comic-related scripts - it breaks any hot-link protections(I can set referrer info).
Yours is a bit shorter, but it probly wont work very easily on windows systems.

Still, im glad you decided to make a script and stuff instead of deleting my post and or  yelling at me for making said script :P

-RobbieThe1st

Gildedtongue

Only ones I've saved were the three "Amber V. Mouse" rants.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on April 25, 2007, 07:11:38 AM
Yours is a bit shorter, but it probly wont work very easily on windows systems.

It -does- have that issue. However, that's hardly -my- problem, now, is it? I have to go out of my way to find a windows system to do this sort of stuff on. Besides, you could always install cygwin, and all the stuff that comes with that - bash, gnu-utils, wget, sed, awk, etc - which would let you run it more or less as it is... :-]

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on April 25, 2007, 07:11:38 AM
Still, im glad you decided to make a script and stuff instead of deleting my post and or  yelling at me for making said script :P

You're welcome to run it personally. Amber has merely asked that you not post the results in the forum, so we're going to go on with that, ok?

Responding with "here's a list of the URLs she's had in the last two weeks" is helpful. Posting a list of all the rants you've seen is creepy. Let's keep on the right side of the line, shall we? :-]

Darkmoon

edit:
Actually...

#!/bin/bash
OUTPUT="/tmp/output.$$"

wget -q -O $OUTPUT $URL
  echo $RANT >> $LOGFILE
fi
rm /tmp/*.$$

You do realize that, now that you've said that, Amber will likely do a two line rant just to spite you.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, the script will work fine. The output will be a bit interesting, is all. The "uniq" at the end won't remove the duplicate.

other than that, it's reliable and robust, for a 2 minute script.

Erm. Sorry, 11 minute script. plus a few spare seconds.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Darkmoon on April 25, 2007, 04:50:17 PM
You do realize that, now that you've said that, Amber will likely do a two line rant just to spite you.

XD but... she already did that. I think the latest rant is like 3 lines(the short one).

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 25, 2007, 10:35:14 AM
You're welcome to run it personally. Amber has merely asked that you not post the results in the forum, so we're going to go on with that, ok?

Responding with "here's a list of the URLs she's had in the last two weeks" is helpful. Posting a list of all the rants you've seen is creepy. Let's keep on the right side of the line, shall we? :-]

But... But... we *LIKE* being creepy! :cry Aw well, even so, 2 weeks worth are better than nothing...

Note to all:
If you have any saved rants before the earliest one I have(fashion 03), pm me em! I collect weird stuff! *looks at his extensive, 4.8GB, comic archive and assorted other comic-related stuff collection(though, some of that is resized comics for printing purposes)*   :P

-RobbieThe1st

[[ Edit: Erm. Trim your quotes, please, Robbie. :-] ]]

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 25, 2007, 05:27:52 PM
Erm. Sorry, 11 minute script. plus a few spare seconds.

I should point out here I'm not actually running this script. Amber has stated a preference, and I'm sticking to that, that her words vanish into the ether.

It's just the challenge of writing one was too big, I swear. No, honest! :-]

Turnsky

i'm just curious, is there any point to saving amber's rants?.. i mean, if she wanted to keep her rants for historical purposes, wouldn't she have something like Livejournal?

besides, it seems... kinda creepy, if you ask me.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Amber Williams

There was a time I actually did "rants" in the more grandscale.  The Amber vs Mouse saga was probably one of my better-known ones.  But I used to soapbox with the best of them.  In that aspect, I can understand why some people would want to hoarde my inane ramblings.

However, I wont argue that the times when I'm just like "bla bla bla. Here is the most recent update. Here is the next one. Here is me trying to promise something is coming up but will likely fail." talking, the idea of people saving those pushes the creepy-town IMO.

ShiningShadow

I'm staying out of this  :boogie.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on April 26, 2007, 07:24:12 AM
i'm just curious, is there any point to saving amber's rants?

Did you honestly think I would not save the one where she mentioned the Radio Project on the front page of DMFA?   >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

i'm just curious, is there any point to saving amber's rants?.. i mean, if she wanted to keep her rants for historical purposes, wouldn't she have something like Livejournal?

Erm. OCD? :-]

Seriously - the only reason for keeping her rants is for the times when she links to things that are interesting, like, say, the Dave Hopkins thing. Or the links to interesting comics, or the like. If someone happens to, say, be away for a week, they miss out on those.

Other than that, of course, Amber's rants usually aren't worth keeping, unless one happens to be a conclusion freak, and prefer to have -full- copies of things, rather than just -most-.

*cough* I'm not looking at, say, the radio scripts, here, at all. No, really.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 26, 2007, 07:38:27 AM

Erm. OCD? :-]

Seriously - the only reason for keeping her rants is for the times when she links to things that are interesting, like, say, the Dave Hopkins thing. Or the links to interesting comics, or the like. If someone happens to, say, be away for a week, they miss out on those.

Other than that, of course, Amber's rants usually aren't worth keeping, unless one happens to be a conclusion freak, and prefer to have -full- copies of things, rather than just -most-.

*cough* I'm not looking at, say, the radio scripts, here, at all. No, really.

OH NO! You found me out! When I decide to keep a copy of something, I want *all* parts of it, not just some. I also read TwoKinds, and, I mean, I have a copy of every bit of work around that the author did(not to mention getting permission for an archive, and uploading a copy), as well as alot of fanart and anything related I can find.

Most of my comics I just grab the archives, and use my scripts to keep my archive up to date. :P

Corronis

Yeah, I was mainly wondering because there's been a few times that I've found an interesting link in her rants, and forgot to bookmark it, thus losing it.

The link that prompted me to ask about it was to the site of her friend from college who wrote some of the most interesting and intelligent ramblings I've seen on the internet.

Damaris

hm.  I might have that one.  I think he just gave me another card when I was down in E'ville last.  I'll look.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

witchiebunny

Quote from: Darkmoon on April 25, 2007, 04:50:17 PM

edit:
Actually...

#!/bin/bash
OUTPUT="/tmp/output.$$"

wget -q -O $OUTPUT $URL
  echo $RANT >> $LOGFILE
fi
rm /tmp/*.$$

Hmm.

You called it.