Morrowind

Started by Tapewolf, April 02, 2007, 07:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Malakin on April 10, 2007, 06:49:49 PM
A screenshot of your map might be nice, allways intresting to see how different people explore the island.

There's a way to view the entire map?  :U

Damn, I have got to read the manual sometime.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Malakin

Not 100% sure you can actualy now that I thinkabout it... Have not played morrowind for years, realy want to but cant find the CDs :O
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

Toric

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 10, 2007, 06:51:45 PM
Quote from: Malakin on April 10, 2007, 06:49:49 PM
A screenshot of your map might be nice, allways intresting to see how different people explore the island.

Well, there's a way to view what parts of the world map you personally have explored. I can only imagine how many DAYS it would take to explore every inch of the island, starting from level 1.
Yap by Silver.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Toric on April 11, 2007, 12:41:37 AM
Well, there's a way to view what parts of the world map you personally have explored. I can only imagine how many DAYS it would take to explore every inch of the island, starting from level 1.

That in itself would be incredibly useful.  I would probably not have got lost while leading the woman to Kumma Fields if I had been able to see the road that links Pelagiad to Suran and Vivec.

On the other hand it's kind of fun to wander around with only a vague idea of where you are..

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 10, 2007, 06:29:02 PM
You too?  Man, it's like I'm the only person who's never played Morrowind until now  :U

I haven't played it at all. Does that make you feel better, TW?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

I played it, hated it, and that's what made me want to go back and play the old Ultima games again.  I wanted to figure out what made Morrowind so bad and yet made the Ultima games so great.  Especially when the plot of Morrowind--well, let's just say it's (1) familiar and (2) should be obviously so by now if you've been playing it for more than a week.

I think that should make everyone feel better.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on April 11, 2007, 09:55:14 AM
I played it, hated it, and that's what made me want to go back and play the old Ultima games again.  I wanted to figure out what made Morrowind so bad and yet made the Ultima games so great.

It lacks flexibility.  You can't break down doors, smash crockery or anything like that, which was one of my favourite points in Ultima 6.  You could (and I did) decide to wipe out an entire town, killing all the occupants and smashing or stealing everything that wasn't nailed to the floor.

And one of the things I've always missed, even in later Ultima games is the ability to push people.  I came across a cat slave standing on a hill by the river.  I so wanted to push him in, but the game wouldn't let me...

One of the other things that bugs me a bit is the quests.  When I went off to kill the mad woman in the Vivec sewers, and when Ahnassi called the hit on the evil elf dude in Mar Gokk, I went off and killed them and then returned with no proof whatsoever.  It might have been nice to lie and say you've done it  >:3

Those are my criticisms so far.

QuoteEspecially when the plot of Morrowind--well, let's just say it's (1) familiar and (2) should be obviously so by now if you've been playing it for more than a week.
Not yet, because I've been trying to get rich or at least relatively powerful, and totally avoiding the main plot.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 11, 2007, 10:08:01 AM
Those are my criticisms so far.

Hmm. Well, that's just ruined all my enthusiasm for finding a copy and playing the game. Thanks for that.

... No, seriously. If I'd got it, and only then discovered the limitations, I'd have been rightly annoyed.

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 11, 2007, 10:08:01 AM
Not yet, because I've been trying to get rich or at least relatively powerful, and totally avoiding the main plot.

Avoiding the main quest is always the smartest thing to do.  Unlike Oblivion, all of the monsters and bosses in Morrowind have their stats set.  You want to be level 40 or so when you go to finish the main quest.  In fact, it's even more fun to ignore the main quest if you've got the Tribunal expansion.  Even if you don't go through the main quest, you're told in Tribunal about who you are.  >:3

As limited as the game mechanics are, I particularly liked it for the sheer breadth of the story and the massive amount of side quests.  I find that there's so much more to do in Morrowind than in Oblivion.  I also prefer Morrowind's approach to equipping (and enchanting) armor.  I usually have an entire set of Glass armor, with each and every piece of it set with a different enchantment.  I don't like how Oblivion made armor "sets".  I liked mix-matching my stuff.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 11, 2007, 10:26:40 AM
Hmm. Well, that's just ruined all my enthusiasm for finding a copy and playing the game. Thanks for that.

... No, seriously. If I'd got it, and only then discovered the limitations, I'd have been rightly annoyed.

Well, I don't know of any game which does everything I've described - with the possible exception of Deus Ex and that was always a bit more combat-oriented than plot-oriented.
While a bit irritating, it certainly hasn't stopped me from enjoying it so far, and Deus Ex didn't have the whole-world freedom of Morrowind, and that is a most refreshing change.

I had considered Oblivion, but I doubt my machine is adequate.  Morrowind seemed a better bet and I've heard that Oblivion is even less flexible.

Given the number of mods that seem to exist for Morrowind, you could probably throw a patch together to allow you to vandalise things, if someone hasn't done so already.  I'd certainly go for that...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 11, 2007, 10:50:30 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 11, 2007, 10:26:40 AM

Well, I don't know of any game which does everything I've described - with the possible exception of Deus Ex and that was always a bit more combat-oriented than plot-oriented.
While a bit irritating, it certainly hasn't stopped me from enjoying it so far, and Deus Ex didn't have the whole-world freedom of Morrowind, and that is a most refreshing change.

Shush, you're making me reconsider, and I've got enough things to do already... :-]

Tapewolf

Damn, I have got to read the manual sometime.

I finally did last night, and it turns out you click on the map from the main menu.  I should have thought of that myself.  It doesn't seem to be one of those where it starts out black and fills in where you've been but it's better than nothing.  You can also get it to remain resident onscreen in the game, and I was tempted to but it was a bit too big (when it was big enough to be useful) - at the bottom it would prevent me from seeing land-based predators and in the air it would prevent me from seeing cliff-racers.

Talking of seeing things, I've noticed that Cat Dude often turns to look at things while he's walking down the road.  I can imagine him wanting to look at the Netches because they're damn strange, but while I was walking around Vivec he seemed to be turning to look at something that only he could see...

Turnsky

I had considered Oblivion, but I doubt my machine is adequate.  Morrowind seemed a better bet and I've heard that Oblivion is even less flexible.

distinct possibility, oblivion's a resource hungry beast.. oblivion has a far better stealth mechanic than morrowind. but you can get away with less murdering in it, too..

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on April 12, 2007, 07:49:08 AM

distinct possibility, oblivion's a resource hungry beast.. oblivion has a far better stealth mechanic than morrowind. but you can get away with less murdering in it, too..

It will probably run, but not necessarily well.  Murder is important though.  My character was originally called 'Johan Cross' but I decided I didn't like the hair/face combination and the skills didn't pan out.  "Build one to throw away" as Brooks would have it.

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 12, 2007, 08:07:03 AM
It will probably run, but not necessarily well.  Murder is important though.  My character was originally called 'Johan Cross' but I decided I didn't like the hair/face combination and the skills didn't pan out.  "Build one to throw away" as Brookes would have it.

Oblivion's minimum specs aren't super hard to meet. Turning off the major CPU/GPU hogs like grass and lighting effects will make it quite playable even on slightly older systems. (Lack of grass even makes life a lot easier for alchemists.) On the other hand, trying to make it as pretty as possible will bring even the most powerful systems to their knees.

There's no shortage of murder in Oblivion. :kittydevious You can wipe out entire towns (or even get them so riled up that they'll kill each other for your entertainment); one of the Daedric quests actually requires it. Oblivion also has more "not nailed down" content, so much that it can take several trips to rob a place blind, if you're into that (but if you are, you'll probably be cursing these guys for having so much junk rather than enjoying the spoils). And let's not forget the Dark Brotherhood... so very deliciously evil. (My favourite quest in the set is called "Whodunit": Your task involves slaying helpless civilians--not much of a challenge, but you get to savour their terror as they realize they're being hunted... and that anyone could be the killer.)

I have to say, though... Morrowind had a certain charm that Oblivion lacks. It's a dark, gritty realm full of slavery, oppression, and backstabbing. Oblivion is physically larger, but it's less diverse. Whereas Morrowind presents fantastic elven structures and landscapes, Oblivion features architecture that I could see on a drive through small towns in Europe. And you can't fly anymore--flying around was one of the best parts of Morrowind! (According to the devs, that's due to a technical limitation in the way they coded cities for Oblivion. Some people have modded flight back into the game, but it breaks easily.)

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: Tezkat on April 12, 2007, 02:52:52 PM
one of the Daedric quests actually requires it.

Ah, I thoroughly enjoyed that particular quest.  Totally worth it.  >:3

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Oblivion's minimum specs aren't super hard to meet. Turning off the major CPU/GPU hogs like grass and lighting effects will make it quite playable even on slightly older systems. (Lack of grass even makes life a lot easier for alchemists.) On the other hand, trying to make it as pretty as possible will bring even the most powerful systems to their knees.

It's a 1Ghz T-bird with 1GB of RAM and a GeForce 6200 that will crash the system unless it's clocked at 1x AGP.  I've also got a Radeon 8500 that can sustain a higher AGP clock without crashing so much, but that would require the 'Oldblivion' patch to make it go, I do believe.

Heh... I do believe I've just got whatisface to kick his skooma habit.

Magic

And let's not forget the Dark Brotherhood... so very deliciously evil. (My favourite quest in the set is called "Whodunit": Your task involves slaying helpless civilians--not much of a challenge, but you get to savour their terror as they realize they're being hunted... and that anyone could be the killer.)

Do I even need to say how much I adore every last one of the Dark Brotherhood quests, and the story backing it? And yes, I loved killing that dark elf from the start of the game. Poetic justice, you hardly get that anymore. Plus, twisted humour.

Oh and, do kill Drayayne Thelas (sp?) in Balmora for me.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ink on April 12, 2007, 07:15:23 PM
Oh and, do kill Drayayne Thelas (sp?) in Balmora for me.[/i]

I'll look into it.  I think I've finished all Ajira's little tasks so I'm probably done in Balmora for now.  That means I'm probably relatively safe to go on a bender there...

I still can't find anyone who sells crossbow bolts though.  It's got to be the arrows, but I can't seem to make the crossbow work.  It does look kind of cool when he points it at people, though...

llearch n'n'daCorna

... pointless, but cool nonetheless...

Malakin

Have you been over to SadrithMora yet? I think there is a person who sells bolts from a stall or somthing...
You can get there quick via the transportation system..
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

Tapewolf

You can buy crossbow bolts in Pelagiad.  So far this is the only location I've found.  What irks me is that you can't buy bolts from the people who sell the crossbows.

The Ahnassi thing has worked out well.  As Janus says it's kind of adorable.  I've been rearranging her house, filling the shelves with rare books and the chests with priceless Dwemer artifacts.  By quickly switching to 'cast' mode and back I can make him wave her goodbye each time I leave the house.

Quote from: Ink on April 12, 2007, 07:15:23 PM
Oh and, do kill Drayayne Thelas (sp?) in Balmora for me.

It was beautiful.  She said "make it quick", so I did.  The ring of shock-bite leaves no marks - it looks just like she had a heart attack.
The fact that she was expecting someone to come and kill her rats meant that an armoured warrior wielding with a crossbow entering her house was not unexpected (as opposed to the mage in the blue robe seen wandering around earlier).  Putting a crossbow bolt or two into the rat's head completed the illusion.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/games/DoctorInkHasSpokenTheWordsOfYourDea.jpg

No money or effects were missing from her house except for 'Sermons of Vivec' volume 20, a fairly common work which she presumably lent to a friend.

(Originally I wanted to steal her soul but I haven't got the spell for that sussed out yet)

Zedd

Has anyone "accidently" killed Lord Vivic?

Kasarn

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 14, 2007, 10:55:28 AM
(Originally I wanted to steal her soul but I haven't got the spell for that sussed out yet)

You can't. It only works on animals and monsters.
Fluffwise, it's necromancy.

Quote from: Zedd on April 15, 2007, 11:59:16 AM

I'd assume that most players have. I mean, that's what Azura's Star is for (well, okay, it's not... but there are only a few enemies that utilize its full potential)

Tapewolf

So I will get to meet him, then?  Cool.  From what I've read in the sermons, he sounds like quite an interesting guy.

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 15, 2007, 01:54:23 PM
So I will get to meet him, then?  Cool.  From what I've read in the sermons, he sounds like quite an interesting guy.

He's alright...Yet hope you dont mind him being half bronze and half gold

Azlan

Quote from: Zedd on April 15, 2007, 03:50:53 PM

I don't remember if killing him breaks anything...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Reese Tora

Quote from: Azlan on April 15, 2007, 04:16:37 PM
Quote from: Zedd on April 15, 2007, 03:50:53 PM

I don't remember if killing him breaks anything...

Killing him breaks the main quest, but it's also the only way to complete the main quest if it's broken.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Cogidubnus

Yes. Killing Vivec breaks many things.

But it also doesn't.  >:3

If you can figure out the one way you can still kill Dagoth Ur after killing Vivec, before you complete the main quest, I will eat my hat and give you as many free internets as you can eat.

Tapewolf

I've got two spells which I can't make work - "Levitation" and "Vivec's Tears".   Anyone know why he can't cast them?  I'm not sure about VT, but Levitate seems to require less power than he has.  I simply have a 0% chance of casting them.  Any ideas?