Auction-To-Be (AKA: Tapewolf is gonna hate meee...)

Started by Amber Williams, March 16, 2007, 08:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: TheAuldGrump on March 17, 2007, 11:13:34 PM
Mr. Whitefurr, I have to agree that Janus Bond is the series that I would be most likely to bid on, plain, simple, non-canon fun! :)

Plus I was the star of the arc, which gives me the extra incentive to want it all to myself.... along with Doctor Jy, the Paragator... heehee.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Amber Williams

Keep in mind people that what I'm intending to sell is the black and white originals. They are ultimately un-worded, uncoloured, and without borders.  Complete with blue pencil markings and unedited inking.  These are not limited-edition print quality.  They are not the finished product that people see on the website.  And even if I wanted to make prints of the colour website versions, I lack any high-rez of 90% of the archives finished products to make a decent quality print.

What people are basically going to be bidding on (though I hope to make it very very clear in the auction itself to avoid confusion) is the pre-scanned form of the comics. The black and white on-paper originals.  Which really is why, other than the DMFA-owning part, that I don't expect them to sell all that amazingly high.  Outside of people who like DMFA or would want to collect and/or archive the hard-copy originals, most people I cant imagine would have an interest in the unfinished B&W since they are without words, borders, colour or in some ways...some of the defining features of the comic itself. 

In all honesty, thats my biggest regret in regards to auctioning the strips. They really don't lend themselves to being all that useful or show-worthy IMO.  They lack the finished-product feel that would allow them to be framed and put on display.  Some of them even have odd notes or scribbles underneath them. 

-------

That said, as I mentioned before I don't expect anyone to buy the archives to follow any particular rules save for the most common of courtesy.  I think it goes without saying that I'd rather not have people make copies of the original for the purpose of selling, or to use the originals and claim they are me and that they are the ones who drew them.  And while I would prefer people don't toss around hi-rez versions like it is candy...I can understand some of the more archivial members wanting to group together to make hi-rez backups amongst them. 

All I really ask is people ask "is what I'm doing going to hurt or put Amber in a particularly bad spot" and follow general kindness.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 18, 2007, 03:57:10 AM
Some of them even have odd notes or scribbles underneath them. 

Me thinks the odd scribble or note will make owning the originals well worth it.

Of course, I'm well out of the bidding, though I'd be interested in seeing scans of the various notes and doodles.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Azraelle

On the contrary, Amber, I think the eccentric form that the originals are in would make them even more valuable.  I remember Scott Ramsoomair of VG Cats recently auctioned off an original comic sketch that looked nothing like the finished comic, and it had different notes and such for dialog that didn't make it into the final version.  I don't know exactly how much it was sold for, but the price indeed went very high.  And that was just one.

I'm fairly certain that, with the sheer size of DMFA's following, coupled with the number that you'd be willing to sell, it would be a very good thing.

Cball

How are the Questions from the Readers considered?   Are they a grouping of their own or part of the arc that they occurred in?

-C

This is my first post.  Would you believe it?   =þ

Turnsky

all i've got on offer are the souls of my own readers, problem is that they've got this green stuff growing on 'em and it makes unpleasant squeaking noises when i poke it with a stick..

i could never figure out how folks scribble on their comic pages, i never do.. which strikes me as odd... (well the fact that i find it odd strikes me as odd.. if you catch my meaning), my notepad is my mind, and although it might fetch a fair bit, i'm kinda using it. :p

to be quite honest, i'm something of a hoarder, i couldn't bear to part with my stuff... particularly my old-old stuff which were relegated to one page per panel, and were uglier than a bucket full of blowflies, and will never see the light of day again, much like the ark from 'raiders of the lost ark' open it up and it'll melt your face off..  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

ITOS

Quote from: Turnsky on March 18, 2007, 01:37:20 PM
all i've got on offer are the souls of my own readers, problem is that they've got this green stuff growing on 'em and it makes unpleasant squeaking noises when i poke it with a stick..

Hey! I read your comic! >:O
This generic comment was brought to you by:

GabrielsThoughts

i could never figure out how folks scribble on their comic pages, i never do.. which strikes me as odd... (well the fact that i find it odd strikes me as odd.. if you catch my meaning), my notepad is my mind, and although it might fetch a fair bit, i'm kinda using it. :p

I don't even scribble out dialog myself, but all my older work from '97 has notes and dialog which is actually still Re-usable.  I keep all my old artwork in a footlocker anyway and I have half a decade's worth of really bad artwork I plan on doing over again once I've gone through my stock of usable images and comics. 
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Dammit. I thought I'd trained it to make unpleasant squishing noises, instead...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

Quote from: ITOS on March 18, 2007, 01:45:48 PM

You had a soul to begin with?  :erk

Netami

What?

Oh god. Stop giving it money, it's going to want more!

ChaosTiger

I probably wouldn't be able to afford a full story arc... but I would give my entire life savings for this comic o_o

...of course, I still need a way to send the money... >_<

ShiningShadow

Damn I wish I have the fundage for this right now I'm flat broke. If I scrape something together I want the Lorenda Art in her bikini *WOOT*. I will pay top dollar for that alone.

ITOS

Quote from: BillBuckner on March 18, 2007, 08:26:22 PM
Quote from: ITOS on March 18, 2007, 01:45:48 PM

You had a soul to begin with?  :erk

No, that's why I'm offended. ;)
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Sunblink

Out of curiosity, Amber, will you be selling the Abel's Story pages? Just asking.

I have no money to offer, unfortunately. Only this gall bladder I stole off of my neighbor. He wasn't using it. If you need a more appealing organ, check with me later. :P

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Alondro

*Charles frowns*  Charline ate my soul, so I can't even offer that.  On the other hand, the lack of a soul makes it much easier for me to hire myself out for contract hits for the mob!  I'll be able to afford to bid now!  :boogie

*is taken down by FBI snipers who are watching EVERYONE who even looks at a furry site... you know they're watching us*   :shifty
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Azraelle

Quote from: Alondro on March 19, 2007, 12:36:35 PM
*is taken down by FBI snipers who are watching EVERYONE who even looks at a furry site... you know they're watching us*   :shifty

*gives FBI snipers the "finger"*

I thought I saw Amber mention that she would not be selling Abel's Story originals (at least not right away) due to it feeling unfinished.

Amber Williams

Yeah. I wont be selling Abel's Story or the most recent arc in progress.  Abel's Story I admit I do have a possible intent of rescanning and remaking the hi-rez archives of.  And I figure if I am going to sell the arcs in chunks, selling an incomplete arc would be lame of me.

Faux_Pas

I have a question.. are you going to be selling the wallpaper wars? Im not sure if you drew them by hand, so that's why i wanted to know so I could possibly bid on some chibi-goodness...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Faux_Pas on March 19, 2007, 07:14:05 PM
I have a question.. are you going to be selling the wallpaper wars? Im not sure if you drew them by hand, so that's why i wanted to know so I could possibly bid on some chibi-goodness...

Speaking of which, I believe I have some lost frames from the Abel-Regina war that aren't in the archive, if anyone is interested.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Probably, yes. Unless they're lurking around at home anyway, which is entirely possible. Yay for automated systems. :-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Faerie Alex

I don't think anyone's asked this yet:

Will this be on eBay, or something else?
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Azlan

Everything I might wish to obtain should be fairly safe, mostly.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Tapewolf

Quote from: modelincard on March 19, 2007, 10:24:21 PM
I don't think anyone's asked this yet:
Will this be on eBay, or something else?

The Librarian and the prodigiously expensive 'Book of Cute' were on FurBid.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E