13 March 2007 [#761] KILL! KILL! KILL! Shop!

Started by Zorro, March 13, 2007, 09:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_voyager

Root beer or boot reer? i'm not sure which taste better but i know a few shoppers that i wanted to boot i the rear for just being uhgg. i mean you do not hold up the line for 20 minutes because you sent someone yo get something you forgot.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Goatmon

Death, death, death, death, death, death, lunch, death death death death, afternoon tea, death death death death, quick shower. 

MT Hazard

Fat American kid at fast food outlet: "I'll have a mega burger, a large portion of fries and a diet coke."

Despite what some people may think just because some thing has 'diet' in the title doesn't mean it will help you lose weight.

The worst part is that they take out the only natural thing in the drink (sugar) and replace it with a sweetener that is probably not safe for humans in the long term, e.g. aspartame/nutrasweet, banned in the US because it may cause brain damage but still in UK drinks (despite the companies that sell them being US owned)

Actually fast food as a whole is bad, just read 'fast food nation' that'll put you off having any every again.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Alondro

Nah, I saw it all and it didn't phase me. 

Then again, I work in a lab with toxic mutagens, radioactive isotopes, and thousands of mice whom I routinely disassemble.

No different from fast food, you see?   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

e_voyager

i feel for you. i can do all kinds of horrible unspoken experts on thins but i have a hard time kill an healthy creature. well killing them intentionally that is and leaving thin in a room with 10 TVs all running pop culture. shudders. better to just feed them toxic waste.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

superluser

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 15, 2007, 04:41:50 PMe.g. aspartame/nutrasweet, banned in the US because it may cause brain damage but still in UK drinks (despite the companies that sell them being US owned)

Er...aspartame is still legal in the US.  Perhaps you're thinking of cyclamate?  Saccharin was also banned for a short time in the US.  Both cyclamate and saccharin were linked to cancer in laboratory animals, but the saccharin tests were flawed (*).

Aspartame also had some fishy stuff in its US approval process.  It also contains phenylalanine, which can cause mental retardation in phenylketonurics.

(*) those in the saccharin tests were based on giving lab rats unrealistically high levels of saccharin.  Subsequent tests showed that giving lab rats the same amount of vitamin C resulted in cancer.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

LionHeart

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 15, 2007, 04:41:50 PM
Fat American kid at fast food outlet: "I'll have a mega burger, a large portion of fries and a diet coke."

Despite what some people may think just because some thing has 'diet' in the title doesn't mean it will help you lose weight.

Sure it does. Everyone knows that the diet soft drink magically cancels out the effect of the calories in the junk food... :P

Quote from: Alondro on March 15, 2007, 06:32:39 PM
Then again, I work in a lab with toxic mutagens, radioactive isotopes, and thousands of mice whom I routinely disassemble.

No sign of any super-powered mice, then? :P
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: LionHeart on March 16, 2007, 02:01:37 AM
No sign of any super-powered mice, then? :P

... only if their super power is being dead. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ShiningShadow

Well that when weel *I think* hmmmmmm it seems that Kria like pointie things even in clothing. I think Lorenda needs to have that heart to heart talk to Jyrass.

DECIMATE, DECIMATE, DECIMATE, DECIMATE, pick up dry cleaning, DECIMATE, DECIMATE, DECIMATE, DECIMATE, pick up loaf of bread.

MT Hazard

Quote from: superluser on March 15, 2007, 08:53:02 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on March 15, 2007, 04:41:50 PMe.g. aspartame/nutrasweet, banned in the US because it may cause brain damage but still in UK drinks (despite the companies that sell them being US owned)

Er...aspartame is still legal in the US.  Perhaps you're thinking of cyclamate?  Saccharin was also banned for a short time in the US.  Both cyclamate and saccharin were linked to cancer in laboratory animals, but the saccharin tests were flawed (*).

Aspartame also had some fishy stuff in its US approval process.  It also contains phenylalanine, which can cause mental retardation in phenylketonurics.

(*) those in the saccharin tests were based on giving lab rats unrealistically high levels of saccharin.  Subsequent tests showed that giving lab rats the same amount of vitamin C resulted in cancer.
Thanks for the info.

I did think it was bit odd that US would ban a ingredient that UK didn't,(often its the other way around) anyone else know of any other carcinogenic or brain damaging chemical still in food?

Also how unrealistically high? Some people practical live off the stuff after all. There are also cases of people having the bones become brittle though to much vitamin e (high amount of fish in diet plus mega doses in vitamin pills)

One last thing, aspartame can cause allergic reactions in some people, maybe it should be included on allergen warnings, perhaps then manufacturers would be less willing to put it in their products.

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Aurawyn

Quote from: LionHeart on March 16, 2007, 02:01:37 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on March 15, 2007, 04:41:50 PM

Sure it does. Everyone knows that the diet soft drink magically cancels out the effect of the calories in the junk food... :P

No.. no.. but IIRC, I read somewhere that in one sitting people can double and or even triple their calorie intake just because of their drink choice.. Most people don't drink just one cup of cola when they go out to eat.. I think the average is like, 3 cups, also keep in mind that in most fast food joints, a large is much much bigger then the normal 8 oz serving size.

*shrugs*

Keleth

So, I wonder what happens when people eat fruit and veggies and stuff, that aren't just frozen, but fresh.

And actual clean water and meat that isn't contaminated with various chemicals.

I Bet cancer would take a nosedive. XD

And did you know if you boil vegetables, you boil about 80% of the vitamins and minerals out of them?

Steam them in a closed pot, and don't add water to frozen veggies, cook em on low/medium with a cover until they're cooked. Don't boil em :/
Help! I'm gay!

superluser

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 16, 2007, 09:50:00 AMAlso how unrealistically high? Some people practical live off the stuff after all.

A *lot*.  One study(*) used 2500 mg/kg as an experimental group.  In a 70kg adult, that corresponds to 175 grams of saccharin a day.  Tab currently uses a mixture of 64 mg of saccharin and 19mg of aspartame per 8 oz serving.  I don't know what it was in years past, but since saccharin is sweeter than aspartame, so let's assume it was no more than 83mg.

That means that you'd have to drink over 16867 oz (499 liters) of Tab *per day* to equal what those rats were receiving.

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 16, 2007, 09:50:00 AMOne last thing, aspartame can cause allergic reactions in some people, maybe it should be included on allergen warnings, perhaps then manufacturers would be less willing to put it in their products.

They do have such warnings.  Thank the phenylketonurics for this one.  Anything that has phenylalanine (like aspartame) must carry a prominent label stating such in the US.  Saccharin must bear a label stating that the product is known to cause cancer in laboratory animals.

(*)Lessel, B.  Carcinogenic and teratogenic aspects of saccharin
Third International Congress, Food Science and Technology., SOS/70
Proceedings, Washington, DC, 1970, pp. 764-770
(I haven't read the study, just references to it)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

The LizardKing

People only buy diet coke nowadays to put lots of mentos in them. then watch it go boom! almost as fun as dry ice. >:3.
the storage desk person doesn't quite know what to do with the axe....i would hang it over the desk.
Still, now we can only wait and see just what lorenda looks like with "eight layers of clothing on"....jeez, i know too many clothing stores nowadays who do that.
and, now that i think about it, how did we get onto the topic of diet coke? why not pepsi? (not diet pepsi though...i remember when i was in sixth grade and we had a contest to see who could drink the most cans of warm diet pepsi.. i got to 1 can the winner got three. and he weighed 200 pounds!)
and now, i am going to marinate a pork tenderloin with sage, pepper, applesauce, and bourbon....lots of [company name edited because i'm not getting paid] bourbon. Yee! :mowhappy

kaskar

Kria does have a true killer instinct . I wonder what sshe will get in Rita's house of Pointies, in the mall . That looked like a really demonic shop ... ( re # 762 )
8) Just Hanging Around ...