Best Doom Mod ever

Started by ilpalazzo, March 07, 2007, 02:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

ooo, now that's a cool mod.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

Heh, I'm pretty sure TNC on DoomWorld gave that a bad review.

Aridas

Well, it DOES need a lot of work, and it needs to use more original art (I'm HOPING what i'm seeing is too familiar for a reason)

Tapewolf

I may have to give that one a go.  Now I'm trying to think of what my favourite WAD was. 

I've recently completed Darkgate again, which has some memorable moments IMHO.  Mak's Doomdom was the first one I ever saw that had replacement sounds and textures(UAC doors with 'MAK' sprayed on them etc).  Jim Flynn did a lot of good stuff, like 'Tower' and 'Oracle', but I think my overall favourite has to be the Cleimos series - they worked quite hard to give it some kind of plot.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

i still think the greatest mod ever devised was the duct tape mod, as it was SO DAMN USEFUL!  :mowtongue

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Ryudo Lee

That looks awesome!

My favorite wad was called "extreme doom" or something along those lines.  They took the original levels and made them a lot harder by adding extra secret areas that dumped more and more baddies at you.  Seriously.  On ultra violent, e1m1 has a few cacodemons in it, if I remember correctly.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

My personal favourite was the "infinite ammo" cheat. - not idkfa, but the one that removed the recoil on every weapon, and made every clip max you to 32,000 rounds.

You could fire the BFG as fast as the unedited plasma rifle. :-)

(Admittedly, I've always sucked at FPS...)

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 07, 2007, 10:56:54 AM
My personal favourite was the "infinite ammo" cheat. - not idkfa, but the one that removed the recoil on every weapon, and made every clip max you to 32,000 rounds.  You could fire the BFG as fast as the unedited plasma rifle. :-)

I could discuss this all day, but frankly, that's amateur stuff.  >:3

My brother (and to a lesser extent me) created a patch to make the game harder.  Imps with BFGs, the Baron of Hell shooting pink blobs that would even kill you in God Mode, barrels that slowly creep up to you and then explode, and we changed the cacodemon close attack into the BFG as well, complete with the "PUR-I-FY!" sample I ripped from Zardoz, and the spectres were visible but launched a souped-up and more accurate version of the Revenant missile at you when they died (this was in Doom 1, by the way - most of the effects were powered by the dormant Doom 2 creature code in 1.666 and above).
I also made an unreleased Doom 2 version where the Hell Knight did a rapid-fire thing with it's firebolts.  It never moved, but always faced the player, shooting an endless barrage of deicidal fire.  I nicknamed it 'the eraser'.  I'll have to see if I can do a video grab of it because it's quite something to behold, especially if you dance around and get it to vapourise all your enemies like I did last week.

The weapons were fun, we had so many ideas, but eventually we settled on: recoilless pin-point accurate pistol, rapid-fire shotgun based on the RF Skorpion from System Shock, the Instant Discharge Cannon (which fired all its rounds simultaneously and could usually take down a Cyberdemon with one shot), the rad rockets and the radiation mines which sat there for a few minutes and damaged anything which came too close.  The BFG was transformed into the 'Blessing Cannon' which did 2 billion damage points and as every programmer will know, this often wrapped around to -2 billion depending on the damage modifier.  Thus it would either bless or curse an enemy, leaving them immortal or turning them straight from matter to energy.

I also did a series of high-energy death sequences to replace the 'slopping' where the imps and sergeants would turn blue and vanish like the star-trek phasers.  The troopers would sort of inflate and then burst.
More normal death sequences involved the trooper's torso and head flying into the air while his legs fell over, the demons splitting down the middle like a broken vase, and the imps shrinking away to nothing.

A failed experiment involved the 'kneejerk soldiers' where my brother replaced the pain code pointer with the attack one, so they had an instant attack response.  The problem was if one attacked another the game went into a loop that only ended when it ran out of memory.

I also have a WAD which implements AND, OR and NOT gates (using imps as the data bits).  I really must get back to that, since my ultimate goal was to produce a full-adder.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 07, 2007, 11:26:10 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 07, 2007, 10:56:54 AM
My personal favourite was the "infinite ammo" cheat. - not idkfa, but the one that removed the recoil on every weapon, and made every clip max you to 32,000 rounds.  You could fire the BFG as fast as the unedited plasma rifle. :-)

I could discuss this all day, but frankly, that's amateur stuff.  >:3

I believe I mentioned my skill level at FPS.

Let's clarify: I played a game of Q1, IIRC, against a fellow on our LAN at home. He was using the axe, I was using everything I could lay my hands on.

He won, 20 to -3

It's humiliating being circle-strafed with the axe, it really is... ;-]

bill

I really only play the IWADs. Seriously, I have yet to see a Doom level that's a bigger PITA than E4M1. First level, several Barons, and NO HEALTH? Not to mention that it's followed by E4M2, probably the most difficult level in any IWAD.

Aridas

Quote from: BillBuckner on March 07, 2007, 02:54:07 PM
I really only play the IWADs. Seriously, I have yet to see a Doom level that's a bigger PITA than E4M1. First level, several Barons, and NO HEALTH? Not to mention that it's followed by E4M2, probably the most difficult level in any IWAD.
Or maybe you just suck :3

bill

You try E4M1 on UV.  :cry

*low self esteem*

ilpalazzo

I can't find this mod. :*(

Aridas

Quote from: BillBuckner on March 07, 2007, 06:03:53 PM
You try E4M1 on UV.  :cry

*low self esteem*
I played through all four episodes on UV.

bill

Can you humor me, and say that Episode 4 was hard?  :<

Aridas

Quote from: BillBuckner on March 07, 2007, 08:19:41 PM
Can you humor me, and say that Episode 4 was hard?  :<
Episode 4 was h.... h.. ha.. Episode 4 was hhhhha.. haaa... hard.... to lose at!

bill

Oh no!  :cry

Everyone, if you don't ever hear from me again, you know who to blame.  :<

Darkmoon

Quote from: BillBuckner on March 07, 2007, 06:21:26 AM
Heh, I'm pretty sure TNC on DoomWorld gave that a bad review.

Eh, it's not hard to see why. It's just a graphics and sound hack, which, while interesting, loses it's cool factor after the first couple of minutes.

The level itself is uninspired.  central hub room with hallways that come off the sides? It's not hard to figure out where you're going in a place like that. "Hrm, I haven't been through this hallway yet. I wonder where I should go...?" There's no maze, no mystery.

As for enemy and weapon placement, it's just weak. Try a little creativity. Don't just put 80 of the same object in a room.

Bleh.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

ilpalazzo

The level was Doom 2 "Tricks and Traps" and thats how it originally was. it was one of the earlier levels thus the simplicity and abundance of ammo.

Aridas

He cheated a few times, too. He used the jump button, for one. Real Doom has no jump button.

bill

Yeah, well, zDoom needs a jump button so it can support Strife.

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on March 08, 2007, 06:12:32 AM

It supports Strife?  Excellent!  I wanted to play that again, but it won't work properly in DOSbox.

Aridas

And that wasn't strife. Jumping to avoid his dumbass mistake is a no no >.>

Blazehawk

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 08, 2007, 06:16:16 AM
It supports Strife?  Excellent!  I wanted to play that again, but it won't work properly in DOSbox.

Oddly, it seems to run great for me just running it in WinXP, there's just no music.  :U I've used Vavoom to run it with all the bells and whistles, there's also svstrife but it doesn't work for me for some reason.

Arcalane

I believe (no, in fact, know) that ZDaemon supports jumping. :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: Seraline on March 14, 2007, 11:32:47 PM
Oddly, [Strife] seems to run great for me just running it in WinXP, there's just no music.  :U I've used Vavoom to run it with all the bells and whistles, there's also svstrife but it doesn't work for me for some reason.

I'll have to look into svstrife, but if I wanted it to run without sound, I'd just use DOSemu.  Last time, I booted back into DR-DOS, but I might not be able to do that in future, when I have to get rid of the motherboard with the ISA slot.

bill

svStrife is shit. You get the same 1-slot save system, and it crashes frequently. zDoom's a world better.

Quote from: Sheridan on March 15, 2007, 01:50:53 AM

I believe (no, in fact, know) that ZDaemon supports jumping. :B
Makes sense, given that it's based on zDoom.  :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: RyudoLee on March 07, 2007, 10:47:53 AM
My favorite wad was called "extreme doom" or something along those lines.  They took the original levels and made them a lot harder by adding extra secret areas that dumped more and more baddies at you.  Seriously.  On ultra violent, e1m1 has a few cacodemons in it, if I remember correctly.

There was something a bit like that called 'Doominator' where they took the original levels and extended them considerably.  There were also a couple of very early wads which were made with DEU 4.  For those who've forgotten or never knew, DEU 4 was a very early editor, from before anyone understood how the Doom BSP generation worked.  In practical terms, DEU 4 could do anything except move the walls.
There is a level which I call 'Super16' - this was based on E1M6 and is structurally identical (owing to the limitation against moving walls) but in spite of this handicap, they have changed the heights and wall properties so much that it's essentially a completely different level.

Anyway.  I've just completed the 'JCM' wad - a bizarre yet strangely addictive episode where most of the levels are constructed in the shape of J. C. McKnight's initials.  This sounds like a recipe for disaster and in most cases it would be, but somehow he managed to pull it off, and it's one of my firm favourites.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/scraps/jcm18.png

Ryudo Lee

I recently picked up (and got working) jDoom, which came bundled with a bunch of enhancement packs for Doom, Heretic, and Hexen.  It supports jumping, and then some.  Only problem is that it has terrible support for my video card and so I have to use software rendering for the 3d models it uses.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!