llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: llearch N'Djamena on February 24, 2007, 05:55:39 PM
Quote from: they're on February 24, 2007, 05:48:23 PM
you know I had a bad thought

*starts hula-ing*

AH that is a little too much covenant or something... My take is that Cid maybe have trouble getting home, because of these anti-wing groups or the counter-creature groups, like Kria's team.

PBH

Slacker Spice

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 24, 2007, 03:14:48 PM
Nice avatar, Shego.

Yeah. Hennya's just trying to make make sense of what Abel is nattering on about, but she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, now, is she? :-)

Thanks! And, yeah, I agree with that. Who knows what conclusions Abel's incoherent statements could lead her to...

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You English men are always so... bloody hell! [counting them on his fingers.] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks. Oh god... I'm English."
"Welcome to the nancy tribe."
Spike and Giles; "Tabula Rasa"; Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Aw, great, you blew up the 'wah-wah' machine!"
"PORCUPINES ARE GOD!" - Nostalgia

Stygian

Quote from: thegayhare on February 24, 2007, 05:48:23 PM
you know I had a bad thought

What if Hennya's future husband is Selev's brother.  He shows up while they are trying to calm Abel down.  Comming here because he knows Hennya is there.  He's shocked to see Abel, Hennya is suprised to see him, Abel wouldn't recognise him but in the confusion Glory catches up to him and wounds him.  Hennya steps in angery to defend him only to be struck down by Glory. May screams in terror and Glory in a blind fury attacks her too.  In a last ditch effort Anhora mortaly wounds Glory befre dieing from his own injuries.  And hours later Abel is found by Cid sobbing.

My fellow in plot! Let us join together, and use our mischievous, marvelous and machiavellian minds to master this motley and mind-numbingly disorganized forum! Let us break their manacles of mindlessness, and manage to manipulate and maneuver them into moving the comic, and most of all, miss Mab, in this manner!

Grenn

Dangit! I know I've heard that rant line before about the land war and a sicilian...... but I can't place it. Ack!

Can anyone else? THis is threatening to drive me mad  :mwaha

Azraelle

thegayhare

Quote from: Grenn on February 24, 2007, 10:09:47 PM
Dangit! I know I've heard that rant line before about the land war and a sicilian...... but I can't place it. Ack!

"Inconcevible... Inconcevible."

"You keep using that word... I don think it means what you think it means"

LOL
Its from princess bride

superluser

The bit about the land war in Asia is good advice.

Anyways, I've been trying to work the ``Missus Soulstealer--she dead'' bit into something, and I think I've done it:

Why yes, I am easily amused, why do you ask?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Janus Whitefurr

Ah, Princess Bride references. Win.

Even if I'm guilty of never seeing it.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on February 24, 2007, 11:00:14 AMOh boy, what social conflicts are there is the past?

I am sorry if this has been asked before.. but has it ever been said how Far in the past this story took place?

superluser

Quote from: aurawyn on February 24, 2007, 11:38:29 PMI am sorry if this has been asked before.. but has it ever been said how Far in the past this story took place?

In the DMFA world, Abel is 399.  In Abel's arc, he's just over 24.  I don't know if we can rule out time dilation, but assuming that we can, it's 375 years from DMFA world.  As to how far off DMFA is from 2007 AD, I'd ask Amber, except that I'd like to keep most of my body parts.

Yugo

Abel needs many hugs. -huggles the Abel- Hennya needs some more braining. Or at least more organized braining.
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Azraelle

Quote from: superluser on February 24, 2007, 11:48:49 PM
Quote from: aurawyn on February 24, 2007, 11:38:29 PMI am sorry if this has been asked before.. but has it ever been said how Far in the past this story took place?

In the DMFA world, Abel is 399.  In Abel's arc, he's just over 24.  I don't know if we can rule out time dilation, but assuming that we can, it's 375 years from DMFA world.  As to how far off DMFA is from 2007 AD, I'd ask Amber, except that I'd like to keep most of my body parts.

Not sure if there is any correlation with the DMFA world and the real world at all.  It's an alternate universe.  There's no need to tie it to 2007 AD or any other year.  It's like Star Wars; not part of our world in any which way whatsoever.  That's why it's called fantasy.

superluser

Quote from: Azraelle on February 25, 2007, 12:19:04 AMNot sure if there is any correlation with the DMFA world and the real world at all.  It's an alternate universe.  There's no need to tie it to 2007 AD or any other year.  It's like Star Wars; not part of our world in any which way whatsoever.  That's why it's called fantasy.

Well, the point is that most fantasy settings take place in feudal times, and that manorialism died out at around the time of the Renaissance, so that should make everything at least 400 years behind where we are today.

But, of course, this is fantasy, so it doesn't have anything to do with the real world.

From the way you framed your question, I wasn't sure if you were referring to Abel's arc in relation to DMFA present day or in relation to Earth's present day.

Grenn

Quote from: thegayhare on February 24, 2007, 11:01:10 PM

"Inconcevible... Inconcevible."

"You keep using that word... I don think it means what you think it means"

LOL
Its from princess bride

Of course!  :ipod

Thanks!

Manawolf

::Pushes for DMFA Remix thread once again::

Goatmon

Feh, I knew it was the missingwings that got her attention.

She's too busy checking for bleeding to give him a desperately needed hug.  T_T

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on February 25, 2007, 12:25:44 AM
Well, the point is that most fantasy settings take place in feudal times, and that manorialism died out at around the time of the Renaissance, so that should make everything at least 400 years behind where we are today.

It's not that cut-and-dried - IIRC Amber was saying that the level of technology and culture in Furrae varies with the region.  So even in the present day where they have laptops and DV cameras you'll have some backwater where the lifestyle hasn't changed since before Abel was born.
That and magic can act as a substitute for technology (making aluminium for instance)

All we know is that Being technology is relatively recent.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 25, 2007, 06:37:12 AM
Quote from: superluser on February 25, 2007, 12:25:44 AM

It's not that cut-and-dried - IIRC Amber was saying that the level of technology and culture in Furrae varies with the region.  So even in the present day where they have laptops and DV cameras you'll have some backwater where the lifestyle hasn't changed since before Abel was born.
That and magic can act as a substitute for technology (making aluminium for instance)

All we know is that Being technology is relatively recent.

given how furrae's development would be -radically- different from our own, differences in overall technological development would be rather immense. Really, Furrae and Earth's timescales quite possibly wouldn't match up..
However, don't forget that disasters, both natural and man-made (Wars, plagues, and so on) can be detrimental to technological progression if widespread enough, also some sort of cultural lockdown like how china went about it, after the great wall was built, china pretty much stagnated for the next few hundred years or so.

so how fast a culture and technology progresses is pretty much up to the race(s) own whims and whatnot.
Don't forget that for the most part, Furrae's 'cubi were relatively savage and vicious until Fa'Lina came onto the scene.. (i think, i might of gotten something wrong there), and gave them a safe haven to learn and develop their own culture, as it were.   
I might be looking too far into this, but then again, a lot of folks do that here, =p

i mean, look at our technological progression, most of it's been in the name of commerce, really. bigger, faster aircraft, latest vehicles, computers, mobile phones, everything..  and who isn't to say that a mobile phone wouldn't be seen as "magic" to a more "primative" culture. Primative is a relative term, however, i mean, it's a term we use for anybody who doesn't use what we use in terms of technology level, on a magic level some could call us primative for not being able to manipulate energy on a metaphysical level or somesuch..

i'll shut up now..  :mowdizzy

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Actually most of our more interesting technology (jet engines, spaceflight, nuclear power, sound recording, transistors, integrated circuitry, computers etc) all came from conflict.  You are right though, AFAIK Beings haven't had the same input that we have had - personally I suspect that some of the Being technology was stolen from Earth  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 25, 2007, 10:28:23 AM
Actually most of our more interesting technology (jet engines, spaceflight, nuclear power, sound recording, transistors, integrated circuitry, computers etc) all came from conflict.  You are right though, AFAIK Beings haven't had the same input that we have had - personally I suspect that some of the Being technology was stolen from Earth  >:3

oh i agree on the technology made from conflict thing.. mind you, they only survived 'cuz a lot was left after the world wars to study such things..   there's the whole "being blasted back to the stone age" thing, we've all seen it in films and games, effectively.. powerful civilisation becomes too big for its boots, war ensues, either civil or whatnot, gets blasted back to something primative, survivors scatter and try to eke out a living any way they can, bringing technology levels down a fair few notches.

edit, bringing to a per race perspective, magic users may have discarded or disregarded tech as a curiousity, or seen them as inefficient items to be disposed of, never to be seen again..

or said magic users see them as a potential threat to their status quo and made sure it was forgotten for good.. blah blah blah..
also, do note that in previous DMFA comics, even Furrae's Tech seems to have a slight magical residue in one way or another.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

What's even more interesting is that this was his first day on the set, it was pretty much ad-libbed, and he went home thinking he's flubbed his lines so well that he wasn't going to be invited back, ever.

There's also the point "You have six fingers on your right hand. Someone was looking for you." where Wesley gets hit on the head. Apparently they were faking the hit over and over, and it wasn't looking right, so Cary Elwes told Christopher Guest (that's Wesley and Count Rugen, respectively) to actually hit him.

The reason the scene goes black is he did. And filming stopped for the day whilst Cary went off with a concussion...

"You've been following me all your life, only to fail now? I think that's the saddest thing I've ever heard."

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 25, 2007, 06:37:12 AMIt's not that cut-and-dried - IIRC Amber was saying that the level of technology and culture in Furrae varies with the region.

You should note that I *did* say that this is a fantasy setting, and that it doesn't have anything to do with real life.  My previous statements on the matter are a matter of the public record.  ``The whole thing is anachronistic by its very nature, so trying to actually make it work is a fool's errand.''

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 25, 2007, 10:28:23 AMActually most of our more interesting technology (jet engines, spaceflight, nuclear power, sound recording, transistors, integrated circuitry, computers etc) all came from conflict.

Well, our most recent interesting technology.  I'm not sure of the steam engine's provenance or the difference engine (both were produced in close proximity to--but not during--wars), but the cotton gin was designed to actually prevent conflict, and the metal type printing press was first used to publish the Bible.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 25, 2007, 11:02:35 AMWhat's even more interesting is that this was his first day on the set, it was pretty much ad-libbed, and he went home thinking he's flubbed his lines so well that he wasn't going to be invited back, ever.

You do have to admit that there is a certain insane quality to that speech.

The LizardKing

My, my, my......we're all hooked on Princess Bride now, are we? Well i am too now. Man, that's a great movie.
"I've got  my country's 500th anniversary to arrange, my wedding to plan, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it.  I'm swamped."
HUMPERDINCK! HUMPERDINCK! HUMPERDINCK!
Except for a nice MLT, mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich especially when the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomato is ripe, *tsp tsp tsp* they're so perky i love that.
I can quote that movie better than The Holy Grail.

Somebody get Abel an MLT.

Alan Garou

Ah, the stutter. Demeaner of children, bane of dignity. Second in awkwardness only to hiccups.

Taross

Quote from: superluser on February 24, 2007, 11:12:55 PM
The bit about the land war in Asia is good advice.

Anyways, I've been trying to work the ``Missus Soulstealer--she dead'' bit into something, and I think I've done it:

Why yes, I am easily amused, why do you ask?

According to Cortana... you're wrong... ;D

Also, It's not a strange assumption to ask Abel if Miss Soulstealer killed him. In a world where undead are normal, Abel might just be very very fresh...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Undead aren't yet, at the time of this strip, "normal" - if they can ever really be named so....

ShiningShadow

In any case Abel Needs to calm down and talk to his mom about this. I have a bad feeling that Abel's mom will go all revengy and go after Kria hmmmmmmmmmmmmm that is what will happens next.

superluser

Quote from: Taross on February 26, 2007, 02:07:39 AMAccording to Cortana... you're wrong... ;D

I think Cortana is pretty much the epitome of a Hollow Man (or a Stuffed Man), so I'm not sure that I would put too much trust in her opinion.

somercet

First off: The Hollow Men. *snicker* That was incredible, and I'm saving a copy, superluser.

Second: Actually most of our more interesting technology (jet engines, spaceflight, nuclear power, sound recording, transistors, integrated circuitry, computers etc) all came from conflict.

Um, the United States was not at war with anyone when Edison invented the light bulb or phonograph, or the Wright Bros. invented the airplane. Honestly, the only things I can think of as war tech are tanks (British, WWI), atomic bombs and self-sealing gas tanks (American, WWII). And maybe radar, but a lot of airlines wanted that.

The worst thing about Fat Man and Little Boy was the stigma attached to nuclear power plants: here, war actually delayed technological progress (as it often does). DARPA played a real role in the ARPAnet, but by the time TCP/IP came along, it was pretty much a civilian-led project with DARPA in rather nominal control.

War usually only refines what tech is there. For instance, the Rolls-Royce Merlin V12 was a stellar engine with twin stacked superchargers, but two things made it truly superior to German designs: high octane gasoline and ethylene glycol antifreeze. Both American, both civilian developments.

In fact, I would note that if anything, a large civilian industrial infrastructure drives war. First, overseas trade must be protected, so you need a permanent navy/air force. Second, an advanced, technological economy makes people expensive to replace, so smart military leaders leverage technology to spare lives.