Abel's 2-6-07 Tasty Meat Cookies

Started by Faerie Alex, February 05, 2007, 11:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on February 06, 2007, 06:55:21 PM
I'm still not sure what Britons call savory biscuits.  Johnnycakes?

I'm not sure we have them here - I don't recall ever seeing any.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 06, 2007, 07:10:50 PM
Quote from: superluser on February 06, 2007, 06:55:21 PM
I'm still not sure what Britons call savory biscuits.  Johnnycakes?

I'm not sure we have them here - I don't recall ever seeing any.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, and misremembering wikipedia (ooo, wikipedia, that'll be wrong) I believe that the concept that Americans label "biscuits" is more or less what Brits label "scones"

British biscuits are, generally speaking, small lumps of dough, baked until hard. Ok, so you can get larger lumps, but still... gingernuts are the archetypical biscuit, although they're only available back over in NZ and AU, really. Other variants include things like penguins (in the UK) or, somewhat larger, "Cookie Time" cookies in the states - although those are, from what I remember, something like 5-6 standard biscuits in size...

Then you have the other variations on the theme - cabin bread, for example, which isn't even bread, let alone in a cabin - but I'll save those for another day...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Wanderer

All right... WAY too much meat cookies discussion and not enough talking about the comic.

So. We finally have a name for naga/mythos girl. Clearly a good friend to Abel (if not somewhat closer). But her meal plans are NOT going to go over well with him right now. I do hope he doesn't react badly and hurt her feelings or whatever... I like her.

But since Abel's Story seems to be all about how much his early life sucked, I'm rather afraid things won't go well here at all...

Bloodwish

Judging from what I've read and my understanding of things, younger Kria isn't the 'eat the puny mortals' older Kria is, either something drastic happened to alter her softer heart of her youth or she's eventually been convinced that beings are a lesser species, sentient yes, but non-the-less a foodstuff.

Either that or her morality is something along the lines of 'if I don't know them or nobody I like knows them, then they are fair game'.

Or maybe a mix of the two...

superluser

Quote from: Bloodwish on February 06, 2007, 09:25:59 PMEither that or her morality is something along the lines of 'if I don't know them or nobody I like knows them, then they are fair game'.

I would think that it's bad form to eat a FOAF, so it's probably less of ``It's wrong to do this,'' and more of ``It's gonna make things very awkward when I see Abel again.''

Also:

1.) Being meat might be an acquired taste.
2.) You might not want to eat adventurers; they might have swallowed toxins just in case.
3.) The carcasses might have to be taken back for evaluation.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 06, 2007, 07:41:08 PMUnless I'm misunderstanding, and misremembering wikipedia (ooo, wikipedia, that'll be wrong) I believe that the concept that Americans label "biscuits" is more or less what Brits label "scones"

Do you have savory scones?  Here in the States, I think what we call scones are strictly sweet.  We tend to eat scones with tea or coffee.

For example, would you put gravy over a scone?  To us, I think that's like putting gravy over a Digestive.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yes, you have savoury scones - although what you put gravy over is usually a dumpling, and those are the same basic recipe, but boiled rather than baked, more or less.

I'd agree with your last sentence, though. More often, scones are had with butter, jam, and whipped cream spooned over them.

Devonshire Tea is another favoured way of eating scones - have a cup of tea, and clotted cream, and scones and butter and jam. It's artery-clogging, but goes down surprisingly well....

DeedaeicMess

Edit: OK.  I'm an idiot who can't figure out who's talking.  Unless May really is a succubus (see previous statements on the matter for the improbability of this), I don't think that she would be making adventurer cookies.  Hennya, on the other hand, just might.  It's hard to discount the connection given by the montage of dead Devin and meat cookies...
[/quote]

Is everyone forgetting the fact that Abel's father (forgetting his name at the moment) said that both Abel AND May aren't eating as much as they should be, and that he's surprised they aren't BOTH wasting away? That was one of Dan's symptoms, as mentioned soon after he got his headwings... He survived on booze for three years. Booze isn't nutritious.

So, yeah, I think it's possible that May's a succubus. Of course, if this happened to be the truth, she would have to realize it herself, or else she'd have wings. However, adding further credence to this possibility is that she's barely even aged a whit between the moment Abel was born and this last few pages.

Personally I hope this is the case. I hate to think of the possibility that May was so weak that she'd have had an affair behind his back, but then, it's also possible, as some say, that the 'affair' was performed under cover of Incubus shapechanging.

However, all of the signs (her lack of the more obvious signs of aging, her being accused of not eating much and that she should be wasting away, her lack of visible wings) seems to point towards her being a cognizant, self-aware 'Cubi.

Aridas

...What do adventurers have to do with cookies and meat? Besides, we've already got decisive evidence (with a little help from Amber) that May could never be the one if this were a cubi/being thing. Besides, if you can't see any signs of aging, you need to look a bit closer... as she's got greying/faded fur and hair.

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on February 08, 2007, 04:30:21 AMBesides, we've already got decisive evidence (with a little help from Amber) that May could never be the one if this were a cubi/being thing. Besides, if you can't see any signs of aging, you need to look a bit closer... as she's got greying/faded fur and hair.

Well, if she's trying to conceal her true nature, you'd expect that.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on February 08, 2007, 05:44:23 AM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on February 08, 2007, 04:30:21 AMBesides, we've already got decisive evidence (with a little she's got greying/faded fur and hair.
Well, if she's trying to conceal her true nature, you'd expect that.

I think we need a 'CUBI ARE SHAPESHIFTERS, YOU MORON!' emoticon  >:3

Aridas

I think we need a "pay attention to everything else I said" emoticon >.>

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on February 08, 2007, 06:08:57 AM
I think we need a "pay attention to everything else I said" emoticon >.>
I don't.  The shapeshifter thing comes up far more regularly.

Aridas

Still. There's a lot of talk of things that aren't happening, and obviously so... Other than that... You should know the story about that.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2007, 07:01:37 AM
You mean like, say, :shapeshift ?

Yes, although the image could be better.  I've made a cleaned-up version of the entire strip, I'm still not sure if it should be the whole thing or just the speech bubble...

**EDIT**
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/shapeshifters2.png

**EDIT EDIT**

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 08, 2007, 07:03:15 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2007, 07:01:37 AM
You mean like, say, :shapeshift ?

Yes, although the image could be better.  I've made a cleaned-up version of the entire strip, I'm still not sure if it should be the whole thing or just the speech bubble...

**EDIT**
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/dmfa/shapeshifters2.png

**EDIT EDIT**

TW I think we need to reduce this and clean it up some more to have this emotioncon more prominent. I know maybe photoshop or photobucket could do it better.

Tapewolf

MT Hazard

What seems to have been forgoten in the whole 'she must be a cubi' is that pretty much every sign can be explained.

Here's my list of 'she's a being' support statements
-some people don't show signs of age as fast
-Just how old are Abels parents anyway? What is the age gap between them?
The father could be significantly older (and prone to male pattern baldness, plus he's lived a hard life)
-Older people often eat less (women technical need less food most of the time)
-Failure to recognise a clan mark
-Wouldn't she prefer to explain to Abel what he is if she was to?
-Unease at the possibility Abel is a creature

Of course, I could be wrong....
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

ShiningShadow

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on February 08, 2007, 07:30:16 AM
What seems to have been forgotten in the whole 'she must be a cubi' is that pretty much every sign can be explained.
Here's my list of 'she's a being' support statements

...and as Aridas was saying, a Being-Cubi child normally takes after the Being's appearance, which would suggest that she's a Being.

OTOH, we don't know what happens if both parents are 'cubi.  In this case it's unlikely, but the whole issue is so confused already that it wouldn't surprise me.  Personally I think they're both Beings and Abel is a cuckoo.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf

ShiningShadow

I love it already  :shapeshifters this is very cool. Anyway regarding Abel's mood right now I think is very fractured and complacement with this experience and such. I think this situation needs his mom to talk to Abel.

superluser

Quote from: MT Hazard on February 08, 2007, 07:30:16 AMThe father could be significantly older (and prone to male pattern baldness, plus he's lived a hard life)

I knew a guy in college who was in his mid twenties, and he already had less hair than George Bush Sr.  So it's not necessarily an indicator of age.

Also, while I'm here, I might as well mention that male pattern baldness is inherited from your mother (no, really), so even if Cid be Abel's father, his genes have exactly zero relevance on whether Abel gets male pattern baldness.  Of course, even if Abel did get it, you'd never notice, since
:shapeshifters

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 08, 2007, 07:36:17 AMOTOH, we don't know what happens if both parents are 'cubi.  In this case it's unlikely, but the whole issue is so confused already that it wouldn't surprise me.

The absolute best would be if they were hiding it from each other.

Aridas

That'd be fun.

"ZOMG you're a cubi?"

"ZOMG you are too?!"

ShiningShadow

*Snrrrk*

That will be too funny let alone the visual and the conversation between the two Cubi.

llearch n'n'daCorna

DeedaeicMess

Sorry for the lateness in response. The Clockwork Mansion hates me. Somethings I think I can only get one post a night. xx;

Anyhow, yeah, looking back on it, I can see how it'd be unlikely that Abel's mom is a 'cubi. ... Although as Aridas says, that'd be funny.

Alondro

*Charline must twist the title of this thread evily... because she's evil*  I don't know about cookies, but I've got some tasty meat on me baby!  Care to give it a nibble?   :wiggle

*Charles*   D:
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif