Why People Believe Americans are Stupid

Started by xHaZxMaTx, January 06, 2007, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Actually, there was already a case in Nevada, I believe, where several years ago a guy married a horse because there were no laws to prevent it... and it wasn't done as a prank either.  And it's not simply marriage, I mean they'll begin to bring the whole 'consent' issue into it.  A 12-year old girl can have an abortion without parental notification in some places.  If they're old enough to choose that for themselves, why can't they choose to have sex?  THAT'S an argument already being used!  And it's frighteningly started to have some influence.

When you take religious morality out of the picture, there is no reason to forbid it any longer save for some weak abstract notions of social conduct, which are changeable depending on what society calls a norm.  Thus, the people who engage in the bizzarre practices will simply state that their changing society to be more 'accepting' of all lifestyles!  Both bestialism and pedophilia are legal in some countries to this day, and they use that as fodder.  It's not so bad, they say; the countries in which its legal haven't fallen apart.  So why impose a religious-based law on them?  They thought the First Amendment forbid the government from forcing religious beliefs!  Yet that's what those laws are doing!

Those are the exact arguments they've made.  And they're slowly, ever so slowly, gaining support.

Once you break down one portion of religious morality, all the remainder become increasingly difficult to enforce.  How can you ever set up laws for right and wrong when your own philosophy has no belief in either? 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

superluser

Quote from: Alondro on January 11, 2007, 08:44:03 PMActually, there was already a case in Nevada, I believe, where several years ago a guy married a horse because there were no laws to prevent it... and it wasn't done as a prank either.

Looking it up, I see that it was a Jerry Springer show, and there's no indication that a civil marriage was involved.  Channel Four did a documentary on it, and stated that the man ``claimed to be married to a horse.''  I assume at the very least, this means that they couldn't find the marriage license.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Aridas

Heh. If it's on jerry springer, i'd be willing to guess it was a paid act >.>

superluser

Re: Why People Believe Americans are Stupid

1.) Jerry Springer

(Actually, I think that most of you outside the US (thankfully) don't have the opportunity to watch Jerry Springer)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Brunhidden

i believe anyone who appears on a daytime talk show should be sterilised to protect americas dim future.

QuoteFixed? i dont udnerstand, i wasnt aware i was broken
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Kasarn

Quote from: superluser on January 11, 2007, 09:32:40 PM

1.) Jerry Springer

(Actually, I think that most of you outside the US (thankfully) don't have the opportunity to watch Jerry Springer)

He used to be on at midday down here but I have no idea whether it's still on (it's school holidays so daytime TV is family friendly).

RJ

Quote from: Kasarn on January 11, 2007, 10:42:15 PM
Quote from: superluser on January 11, 2007, 09:32:40 PM

1.) Jerry Springer

He used to be on at midday down here but I have no idea whether it's still on (it's school holidays so daytime TV is family friendly).

That was years ago... though I DO wish they'd bring back Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Brunhidden

heraldo was even dumber then springer- dude couldnt understand why he was assulted by armed forces when he was drawing a map in front of a camera showing americas troop locations during a war.

yeah, i wonder how that EVER could be a bad thing. its not like people in other countries watch the news or anything.

QuoteSomeday when you are older you will realise the world does not revolve around you, it revolves around me
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.