Cat Question

Started by Damaris, December 29, 2006, 01:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damaris

I know that many people here are cat people, and I'm hoping that you're much, much much better at training them then I am.

As some of you know, we had two cats for a very long time, Miss Kitty (who passed away in September) and Mogwai.  Mogwai has taken up the delightful habit of spraying, which I would very, very much like to break.

He seems to center his spraying on areas under and around curtains, and on any peice of fabric that is left on the floor in the main part of the house, although my clothing is much perferred to anything else.  He does this especially when we are away at work, or asleep, so catching him in the act is not something we can do.

We thought it was a boredom/lonliness issue, so we did get another kitten around October- they didn't like each other for about a week, and now they're best friends. (at least, we think they are.  They seem to get along well, and will occupy the same square foot of floor, often curling up together.

Right now, I've taken to not leaving anything on the floor (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but I've also had to plastic wrap strategic portions of my carpet (which looks exceptionally silly.)  While it is not nearly as pronounced as it used to be, he still is finding new spots.  I really don't want to a) have my complete house plastic wrapped or b) have a house that smells of cat piss- what can I do?

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

thegayhare

Spraying is terretorial generaly... though if they are mad at a particular person kitties will generaly piss in something belonging to them.

One question... Has he been fixed?  I hate to sound calous but that can be a part of it.

I've got some other sources I'll see what I can find

Damaris

nope, not a callous question.  I meant to answer that in my big ol' rant.

He was fixed about three years ago.  Prior to him being fixed he would (again) spray all my stuff- but I think he was trying to claim me from Dmoon or something equally weird.  We've had no problems since then.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Alan Garou

Try covering the problem areas in tinfoil. The feeling on the cat's feet when they walk on it makes them avoid the area. The crinkling scares them.

thegayhare

Hmm I was talking to my sis, 
Is the new kitten male or female?
Has it been fixed?  Even though Mogwai is fixed he could feel the kitten is compitition and he's showing it, "This is Mine"  even if they get along

If this is the case the behavior should pass eventualy, especialy once the kitten is fixed

one thing she mentioned is a squirt bottle,  but only use it if you catch him in the act and only so he doesn't see you spray him

Mel Dragonkitty

Has he been to the vet for a checkup? Urinary tract problems can cause inappropriate behavior. Older male cats are prone to crystals in the urine. He might need to go on different food. And you need special enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell so that the kitten doesn't start using those areas too.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Damaris

I will try the tin-foil.  It will blend better than blue plastic wrap (damn you Christmas colors!)

The kitten is female.  She has not been fixed yet.  We're being slow, since she doesn't go outside.  We need to get on the ball, I know.
He hasn't been for a checkup in about a year.  That might not be a bad idea.

And I'm going through the enzyme cleaner so profusely that I should own stock in it. *rolls eyes*

Thank you for the ideas- I'll try these, keep you posted, and if anyone has *anything* else, please chime in!  (I'm begging you.)

Netami

He feels the need to spray things because he has no control over his life.

When his friend Miss Kitty passed away, he took a mental inventory of all things he could still call his own and reevaluated what he wanted in life. So he started claiming / reassuring everything he figures he owns. The fact that you got him a kitten probably wont help... In fact, I call that a mid-life crisis. Next thing you know he'll be wanting a new catbox (automated) and sun-glasses to go with the young girl.

thegayhare

Hmm
the kitten being an un nutered female might contribute to things

Its so hard to diagnios these sort of problems

Damaris

She also might not be old enough for that to be a problem.  I think she's only just hit five or six months.  I've never had a young female cat before, but Darkmoon has, and says he hasn't seen any sign of her going into hear.

Shadrok

Currently having a similar problem with one of my cats named Linus, but I think its from him having jealousy over the fact that a stray cat has decided to have her kittens near us.

Also had him fixed as soon as he was old enough, lets just say when I was growing up I remember at one time having at least 10+ cats, so having him fixed was top on the list of things to do.

When it comes to punishing a cat for peeing or spraying, one thing we do is rub their nose in it.

Once had two male cats in the house and one decided to spray a wall, well we ended up rubbing both of their noses in it (since we didn't know who did it) and putting them both outside. We then could tell who did it, because the innocent one would always attack the guilty one for gitting him kicked out.

Kasarn

Quote from: Shadrok on December 30, 2006, 10:40:51 PM
... the fact that a stray cat has decided to have her kittens near us.

I have a stray cat too! :3
Kittens kittens kittens

'course, I own a dog and thus ends my post :P

TheGreyRonin

Wish I could help, but all of my cats are outdoors farm cats.

The tinfoil idea sounds good. You could also tape balloons in areas where he sprays. Might keep him from spraying, and if he pops one, it could frighten him from going back to that spot again.

superluser

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

thegayhare

Hello all

my mom had a sugestion

wash the whole carpet with oxy clean, then use the enzyme cleaner on the spots.  Then crab you cat and a warm wet wash cloth (damp not sopping)  you rub that along your cats face  along where the scent glands are (so you can rub his butt to to make sure)  then you rubb that cloth on the spots he's been spraying.  Finaly leave a few pieces of hard kibble there (just 1 or 2).

the cat goes to his markers, already smells himself there and gets distracted by the food and forgets about marking