Show characters show up

Started by gothtk14, January 18, 2007, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gothtk14

Hey remember the time when pokemon characters showed up in DMFA. What about if Digimon, Yu-gi-oh!, Zoids, or other shows showed up in DMFA it would be hilarious.

Tapewolf

Amber's trying to to keep DMFA within her own copyright, so that's highly unlikely, IMHO.
(see also http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_121.php )

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Valynth

Well, if the characters are originally from Japan, then you could draw and use them all day long without violating copyright, because Japan doesn't have any copyright laws.

You might want to research that though.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Sid

Quote from: Valynth on January 18, 2007, 11:31:09 AM
Well, if the characters are originally from Japan, then you could draw and use them all day long without violating copyright, because Japan doesn't have any copyright laws.

...I'm not exactly a copyright lawyer, but I HONESTLY doubt that Japan doesn't have copyright laws. You got any sort of proof to back that one up? O.o

On-topic, I think that crossovers aren't the best idea. Like, at all. No matter what the crossover is with, you're bound to exclude parts of your readership because there will be people who don't know or like the crossing series and thus get a lot less enjoyment of the whole thing.
:boogie

Roureem Egas

Quote from: gothtk14 on January 18, 2007, 09:17:13 AM
Hey remember the time when pokemon characters showed up in DMFA. What about if Digimon, Yu-gi-oh!, Zoids, or other shows showed up in DMFA it would be hilarious.

I'm guessing you're related to ShiningShdow. :p

I doubt that solely on the fact that I see the little copyright symbol on the game trailers I've been poring over. I doubt any country in the world is without some copyright protection.

Tapewolf

Are you thinking of China?  While I can see how you'd get that impression, they do have copyright laws, although enforcement is admittedly supposed to be lax.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zedd

Sides if you codmit a kidnapping in china they'll cap your arse by the hands of the parent :)

Reese Tora

oh, they have copywrite laws.  You may be confusing a lack of laws with a lack of concern by the community that fan-translates anime.  Normally, fan-translated work ignores the japanese copywrite because they feel that they are not in danger of being sued over infringement.  They stop when the anime comes to America because the anime is then a shared property with an american company, and they are now competing with said american company, giving it the right and a reason to sue for infringement.  It's not that copywrite suddenly applies, it's that the copywrite is now likely to be enforced.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Roureem Egas on January 18, 2007, 11:42:32 AM
Quote from: gothtk14 on January 18, 2007, 09:17:13 AM

I'm guessing you're related to ShiningShdow. :p

No! NOT TRUE *well there was that incident at the cloning lab many years ago but that  besides the point!* Anywho i think there are copywright laws up the wazoo ready to pounce on anybody who infringes. The people are very strict on these matters and when you get your first Cease and Desisit order you pay attention to the law.

gothtk14

Trust me I am not related to ShiningShadow

Netami

Zina

The correct answer would have been "It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAND."
And we all would have laughed at your internet smarts. All of us.

Supercheese

I declare this thread to now be about dog biscuits.

Aridas

dog biscuits are a lie. they taste nothing like is said.

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on January 18, 2007, 11:31:09 AMWell, if the characters are originally from Japan, then you could draw and use them all day long without violating copyright, because Japan doesn't have any copyright laws.

BWAAHAHAHAHA!

I think you're confusing Japan with the Principality of Seeland which, while it may have copyright laws, is not a party to the Berne Convention (or any other treaty, really).

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

*eating some the biscuits dressed up as a maid*

Roureem Egas

Zedd

DESU! :D *some the treats in my mouth and makes peace sign*

Jack McSlay

if I remember correctly, copyright laws are international. the difference is that in Japan the owners doesn't seem to care, instead they seem to enjoy the cheap propaganda for whatever reason. it is a fact that a bunch of people actually makes doujinshi with clear copyright infringements and make a living out of it yet the creators of the characters doesn't seem to care.
different from U.S. productions, Disney always seems to be hunting for them, and Microsoft killed halogen.

now for DMFA, I prefer to see it free of chars from games/animes, I like it because it's an original production.

dog food? yay!
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

superluser

Quote from: Jack McSlay on January 18, 2007, 06:57:56 PMif I remember correctly, copyright laws are international.

Copyright laws are not international.  If you receive copyright protection in one country, that country's laws have little to do with whether that copyright is enforceable in another.  What matters is whether that other country has laws that state that it will enforce copyrights from your country.

For example, a lot of the EU changed copyright laws from a term of life plus 50 to a term of life plus 70 years for works created by a single author.  Their copyright status didn't change in the US until 1996, and then under very strange rules.  Even if the copyright had expired, the copyright was restored, but not for life plus 70 like in the portions of the EU.  Instead, it was restored to life plus 50 if the work were published after 1978, but 95 years (regardless of life) if it were published before.

Confused?  It gets worse.  See, in Twin Books v. Disney...

For more information on international copyright, consult your local library!  If you're in the US, I suggest circulars 38a and 38b.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

ShiningShadow

I do'nt want to get in trouble with the law international or otherwise. Those guys have no sense of humor whatsoever. I think they come from the same gene pool as our airline security  >:3.

Roureem Egas

Theft isn't supposed to be funny you know.

Kenji

Quote from: Roureem Egas on January 19, 2007, 11:16:40 AM
Theft isn't supposed to be funny you know.

What if you steal a clown? o:

ShiningShadow

Brunhidden

removing clowns from the world can only increase the ambient humor levels

QuoteCant sleep, clowns will eat me
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

ShiningShadow

Either that or we willhave a world full of normal people *bleah*  :U.

Caswin

Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

ShiningShadow