2006-12-20 "I'm sure that will be an interesting meeting."

Started by [insert name], December 19, 2006, 10:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

Well, perhaps there was something to that whole 'Cubi hate dragons thing' after all.

Psaakyrn

But on a related note... Does this mean that Destinia would approve of a relationship between Dan and Wildy? (or even, attempt to have an arranged marriage?)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Madmann135

you do know that if those two do fail in their attempt for any reason and the dragons are tipped off or they don't do a complete whipe and there are a few dragon and dragon kin remaining then there will be problems.

In a way their situation is a no win situation.  Even if they do whipe out all the dragons, dragon friends, loves, etc will come out of the wood works and retaliate.

Not to mention if Alexsi and Pyro went home then Alexsi could have a dragon kin in the oven and their assault could harm Alexsi.
Dirty mind aside.

I really hope Dan or someone stops their plans.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Alondro

*Charline erfs*  Well... I must admit... as much as I enjoy denouncing all dragons as evil, ravenous, greedy, selfish, sadistic, virgin-devouring monsters, I can't really bring myself to see them all destroyed.  I mean, they're so much like me in those respects.   >:3  Not to mention dragons are great at other things too!  This one Eastern dragon... my word was he flexible!  I couldn't believe it when he looped right around me and... erm...  :blush  Uhm, dragons aren't all bad... *cough cough*

*Charles hmms*  I wonder... is this conspiracy among all cubi, or does Destania have an exclusive plan with Biggs and the Twinks.  It remains to be seen just how far this plot extends and who is truly part of it.  I can think of another possible reason she might have an exceptional personal hatred of dragons; though it hasn't been explicitly stated, I also can't rule it out.   Fa'lina sent Abel with Dan... she also paired him with Dan as a room-mate.  Abel hates dragons... hmm... Fa'lina could certainly be part of the plot.  She's sent someone to Lost Lake who certainly would seem happy if dragons were exterminated.

*Alondro notes*  This will also get interesting if Mab gets wind of it and Pyro is attacked.  Although if Pyro has hidden the fact that he's a dragon from her, she could also react negatively, seeing it as a sort of betrayal.  It's unlikely it'd be a violent reactrion, but it'd at least hurt her deeply that he didn't trust her, and leave her non-responsive long enough for Pyro to be executed by the cubi death squads as they herd all the dragons into the ghettos... *growls*  Wicked cubi...  *glares at Charline*

*Charline gives a start*  Hey!  I like some dragons!  And Pyro's dragon form is cute!  *hmms*  If I start an enamelware factory... I can trick the other cubi into letting me hire dragons!  I can say they're essential workers because they fire the kilns!  

*has just gotten the warped idea for "Charline's List"... yes, 2 am ideas are odd...  :erk
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Supercheese

"Charline's List" lol!

In other news, a speculation front has cropped up around the midwest, with a 100% chance of conjecture showers. Details at eleven.

thegayhare

Hmmm I used to date a dragon.  He was realy sweet although he had this one thing he liked to do...  Mmmm it was on the wing and ohh it was fun  though I'll admit I got wind burns in some very tender places and you probably wouldn't want to be walking unders us at the time.

I wonder how he's doing...

Fresnor

If a major war breaks out, and the comic goes into some Romeo & Juliet type spinoff with Pyro and Alexi, can we pelt Amber with fruits and vegitables?  >.>  I can almost picture it happening

Manawolf

You know, dragons are good for more than just satisfying your sexual urges.

Fresnor

Quote from: Manawolf on December 20, 2006, 02:06:43 AM

Yeah, they are good at stomping out people that go out of thier way to annoy others and usually have an excellent taste.

Madmann135

That's true, but for some reason sex sells, gets ratings and gets everyone's attention.

Well... not all dragons are evil... My avatar is half dragon and half tiger.  In a way my avatar is me but later.

Dragons are an impressive species/race the one thing that makes us famous is our ability to fly even through 'extreme flight distraction.'

We dragons though a strong species have our faults, our hording traits can be a bit of a pain but everyone has their own faults.  Though my favorite trait of dragons are their welth of knowledge, some useful, some useless and some just plain weird.  
-For instance the largest earth worm species measures over 1 meter long and you can hear it burrowing through the earth.  
-Not to mention The USA is home to a super volcano that by the numbers is long overdue for an eruption yet scientist doubt will erupt any time soon, and the super volcano is Yosemedi (SP) National Park.  The last time this volcano erupted it caused a bottleneck effect on the human population whiping humans down to just a few thousand.

Dragons are not all evil, it's just th ebad element that brings dragons down like any species, creature, race, populas, city, etc.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Alondro

*Charline blinks*  They're... not?  Wow... it's like this whole new avenue of consciousness has, like, totally opened up for me!  Duuuude....  :mowdizzy

Note:  That one side of Yellowstone is swelling up, pushing a lake into a forest bit by bit.  That thing blowing up would rather quickly quell any concerns about global warming... as the few survivors of the blast and resulting world-wide firestorm would face a frozen next few years as the high-flung stratospheric dust cloud envolopes and chills the planet.  I fear lions and tigers would go extinct... *sigh*   :|

EDIT:  It's 3:18 am... what on earth am I doing still typing!   :boggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

thegayhare

Well of course I know that,  though thats all he seemed interested,  not my sexual urges I mean just his.  Thats why I broke it off.  He was fun but a bunny needs more then just good times.   While with that horde I would have had the finacial security but ehh oh well.

Even though it didn't work out I wouldn't want to see him gone
*pouts*

Saist

... I think I am now officially more confused about whether or not Pyroduck is a good guy than I ever was about WHAT he was...

Tapewolf

Oh my God, they are trying to start a world war.  This is really heavy, man.  Now I want to know how they're planning to take out all dragons without also killing all Beings, 'cubi and so on as well...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

secondwolf

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 20, 2006, 04:19:19 AMOh my God, they are trying to start a world war.  This is really heavy, man.  Now I want to know how they're planning to take out all dragons without also killing all Beings, 'cubi and so on as well...

I'm just wondering how they're planning on taking out all dragons.

Beowulf battled a dragon (for most of a day, I think) and died.  Smaug was killed by a precision arrow after extensive observation.  Smok Wawelski was killed only after he drank half the Vistula.

These are stories of *one dragon*.

All dragons, at once, would be out of reach of even the most grandiose pipe dreams of `cubi.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Aridas

but those aren't even the same universe >_>

Yeesh people, stop grasping at other universes to argue a problem in an entirely different one.

Tapewolf

Quote from: secondwolf on December 20, 2006, 04:21:18 AM
Twinks Vs Dragons?

I want to know what twinks are :)

Beings, mostly.  They can't be planning a conventional attack though because dragons are nearly invulnerable.  So it could be some terrible magical WMD that they have up their sleeve (Furrae appearing to be mercifully devoid of nuclear arms).

Jyrras:  "What about Dan?  Your Mom?  Lorenda?  Are they also full of evil and lies because they have 'potential'???"

No, Yes, Yes.  I guess two out of three ain't bad...

LigerJet

QuoteAnd the Guild Navigator field effect would be even more of a giveaway.

More outside terms not used in the comic.  o-o  What does this mean?

Sid

Quote from: Psaakyrn on December 20, 2006, 01:00:17 AM
But on a related note... Does this mean that Destinia would approve of a relationship between Dan and Wildy? (or even, attempt to have an arranged marriage?)

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ...*cough* I mean, uh... wha? (:P)

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 20, 2006, 04:19:19 AM
Oh my God, they are trying to start a world war.  This is really heavy, man.  Now I want to know how they're planning to take out all dragons without also killing all Beings, 'cubi and so on as well...

They may try something like in one of the X-Men movies... even though Destania would look somewhat silly with the Cerebro helmet... ;)

Since I didn't read the theories of the relevant thread, this might be redundant and/or highly obvious, but...
Something I have been pondering about tonight (and which got backed by today's comic): Am I the only one who thinks that something is... wrong here? No, I don't mean the whole "Final Solution of the Dragon Question" gig (which of course is wrong, too).

Let me see...
Abel is worried that a Dragon is living close to Dan. And Ink hinted at the importance that Dan is Edward's son. So I'd guess that Abel knows of the hostage thing.
On the other hand, neither Aary nor Fa'Lina seemed in a hurry to get Dan to SAIA. If it's so important that Dan is brought to safety, why did Fa'Lina (a) eat muffins, (b) only send Fi to get him and (c) let him go again?

I think that this isn't so much a "Cubi vs. Dragons" thing, but rather a "Destania/Biggs vs. Dragons" one. In fact, it may be that Fa'Lina knows of the plan and is working against it. That would make sense, considering that Dan wouldn't be interested or willing in sitting down idly while a war breaks out. Especially not now that he's learning that just being part of a specific race doesn't imply evilness. Kinda makes me think that he's more or less Fa'Lina's pawn while being protected by Abel to make sure he lasts until his time has come.

Something that struck me today: "You've been a friend of the family for generations!" sounds... odd. Assuming that she met the San family after marrying Edward (which would make sense if you assume that she met them through Dan's friend Wildy), she would have been a friend of the family for... a generation or two, depending on how you count.

If you see the "for generations" bit more loosely, I would ask myself if this is maybe what she had been doing before ending up in Lost Lake. Which in turn would question whether or not she had really been attacked and if so, by whom... Oh, and it would lead to the questions if Dan's meet-up with Wildy had been coincidence and how Biggs came into power. Not even to mention that Edward's hostage-situation might then be retaliation against something Destania had done, instead of a generic evil act.

Lots of questions and weird implications... too bad that we're possibly snapping the camera back to the Lost Lake parties...

Oh, and a little something that made me frown yesterday: What if Biggs is lying to Destania...?

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 20, 2006, 04:52:38 AM
but those aren't even the same universe >_>

Yeesh people, stop grasping at other universes to argue a problem in an entirely different one.

Well, then YOU tell us why it should be easy in the DMFA universe to slay a couple of dragons. Abel couldn't even harm a Dragon even though his opponent didn't even use any sort of attack. So the "our universe" tales may be a good measure for the difficulty of the task at hand. Nobody is arguing that things should be EXACTLY like the tales, but so far, we've seen that it's not exactly trivial to kill a Creature. Merlitz had trouble with Aary, Merlitz lost against Abel, Abel lost against Pyro, Dan lost against Fa'Lina... the only reversed case is Daniel slaying Dark Pegasus, but that one came at a price.
:boogie

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 20, 2006, 04:52:38 AMbut those aren't even the same universe >_>

My point is that in every universe (Smok Wawelski is actually a legendary creature from *ours*), dragons are not easy to kill, even in single combat with a man who has killed multiple legendary creatures or by entire armies.

It's unlikely that every other universe makes dragons nearly impossible to kill, while the DMFA universe makes dragon genocide easy.

Quote from: LigerJet on December 20, 2006, 05:18:28 AM
QuoteAnd the Guild Navigator field effect would be even more of a giveaway.

More outside terms not used in the comic.  o-o  What does this mean?

Pretty much me beating a dead horse.

The deal is that if you can read minds, you can probably read vital signs and be able to do things like sense when other living things (especially powerful living things) are approaching.  So Destania should have been able to sense Pyro.

The counter to this is that Pyro might be able to mask not only his thoughts but his presence.  The only problem is that if you can read the minds of the other people travelling with him, you would be able to figure out that there's a mind-and-vitals-shielded companion by the way the conversation goes in the minds of the non-shielded companions.

The counter to that might be that Pyro is able to shield others' minds and presence just by being near them.  This is similar to what happens to Guild Navigators in the Dune series, so that phrase was shorthand for what I just said in this paragraph.

The problem with this effect is that if it were true, Alexsi would disappear once she got near Pyro, which would be even more of a giveaway.

Quote from: Sid on December 20, 2006, 05:23:56 AMSomething that struck me today: "You've been a friend of the family for generations!" sounds... odd.

Well, I was thinking that if the family that wants dragons dead is the Ti'Fiona family, and they've been friends for generations...is Destania related to Edward?

Sid

Quote from: superluser on December 20, 2006, 05:36:06 AM
The deal is that if you can read minds, you can probably read vital signs and be able to do things like sense when other living things (especially powerful living things) are approaching.  So Destania should have been able to sense Pyro.

...assuming that Destania's power has such a range. I think I remember to have read that most Cubi tune out the background noise of their mindreading except for when they actively probe somebody. So I more or less doubt that Destania is monitoring the area around the palace(?) with her mind - it would drive her nuts.

But the whole "Cubi mindreading habits and abilities" thing is a fairly complicated discussion itself, so I won't poke that one too hard :P

Tapewolf

From the Demonology:

Strengths: Dragons have quite a few strengths. Powerful magic plus the ancient knowledge of how to wield it combined with their own bodies natural defense... a dragon could easily take on an army of beings and even a few creature forces if it so chose. Oddly enough, the most often they get into fights are due to the giant gryphons as the gryphon is too territorial and the dragon is too proud to back down.

Weaknesses: As far as physical weaknesses go, dragons have none. However due to their egos, most of them have a weakness against games and riddles. Also most dragons due to their age get eccentricities about collecting (or hoarding) certain items. If someone has an object a dragon desires, they almost always have a distinct advantage.

..and "impenetrable hide" on the 'general traits' panel.

From what Abel was doing to Pyro, it looks like they can be killed by 'normal means', but you have to have some kind of charmed weapon to penetrate the hide.  It's also possible that they're only vulnerable in anthro form.

superluser

Quote from: Sid on December 20, 2006, 05:41:37 AM...assuming that Destania's power has such a range. I think I remember to have read that most Cubi tune out the background noise of their mindreading except for when they actively probe somebody.

Well, they're right outside the building.

Also, it may be background noise, but if you hear someone talking, you can definitely tell that s/he is there, even if you're tuning out what is being said.

By waiting for the pauses, you can tell how many people are talking.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: superluser on December 20, 2006, 05:49:15 AM
Quote from: Sid on December 20, 2006, 05:41:37 AM...assuming that Destania's power has such a range. I think I remember to have read that most Cubi tune out the background noise of their mindreading except for when they actively probe somebody.

Well, they're right outside the building.

Also, it may be background noise, but if you hear someone talking, you can definitely tell that s/he is there, even if you're tuning out what is being said.

By waiting for the pauses, you can tell how many people are talking.

Actually, they're right outside twink territories, not the building. If that WAS Bigg's building they're outside, why would Wildy set a completely seperate building on fire?
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Cvstos

"Impenetrable" may be an exaggeration, meaning only "holy crap that's a tough hide", rather than literally impenetrable.  About the only thing that is truly impenetrable is a black hole's event horizon (and that's only from the inside).

For example, if you used small arms fire against a dragon, odds are you may as well be shooting blanks.  Bring rail-guns, heavy tank, bunker-busters, and nuclear weapons to bear, and even a dragon would likely have to get worried.  Especially about the first and last options.  Rail guns are somewhat-fictional (but entirely possible) weapons that accelerate a small amount of metal to extreme velocities, sometimes as high as 0.9 c.  At such extreme speeds, even a speck of dust would have thousands if not millions of times the penetration power of a .50 caliber bullet.  The biggest drawback to such a weapon is the kickback, but if that was somehow dealt with they would make awesome weapons and excellent sniper platforms.  :mowninja  And nuclear weapons are, well, nuclear weapons.  Kaboom x1000000.

That being said, eliminating all dragons overnight would require many such weapons, the creation of which is hard to conceal.  It would also require trained forces to do that worldwide, and knowledge of where all dragons are at all times.  A practicality nightmare.  More likely some kind of magical WMD is in the making, or none of the above.  Or, you know, they're just going to somehow force all dragons to see nothing but imagines of Richard Simmons 24/7/365 and hope for mass suicide.

Hey, it could work.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Sid

Quote from: Cvstos on December 20, 2006, 06:11:50 AM
For example, if you used small arms fire against a dragon, odds are you may as well be shooting blanks.  Bring rail-guns, heavy tank, bunker-busters, and nuclear weapons to bear, and even a dragon would likely have to get worried.  Especially about the first and last options.  Rail guns are somewhat-fictional (but entirely possible) weapons that accelerate a small amount of metal to extreme velocities, sometimes as high as 0.9 c.  At such extreme speeds, even a speck of dust would have thousands if not millions of times the penetration power of a .50 caliber bullet.  The biggest drawback to such a weapon is the kickback, but if that was somehow dealt with they would make awesome weapons and excellent sniper platforms.  :mowninja  And nuclear weapons are, well, nuclear weapons.  Kaboom x1000000.

The problem with most weapons that are powerful enough to kill a dragon is that they're also powerful enough to kill pretty much everything else. A nuke would take out a whole piece of landscape, including everybody who happened to be nearby. And the more precise weapons like railguns would require the user to be relatively close to the target, and that's not a good method if you want to kill every X on the entire planet.

It may be something like that Cerebro thingy from the X-Men movies, but that would surprise me since SAIA doesn't even have a mechanism to detect/locate fellow Cubi.

Slavkei

Quote from: Cvstos on December 20, 2006, 06:11:50 AM
"Impenetrable" may be an exaggeration, meaning only "holy crap that's a tough hide", rather than literally impenetrable.  About the only thing that is truly impenetrable is a black hole's event horizon (and that's only from the inside).

That being said, eliminating all dragons overnight would require many such weapons, the creation of which is hard to conceal.  It would also require trained forces to do that worldwide, and knowledge of where all dragons are at all times.  A practicality nightmare.  More likely some kind of magical WMD is in the making, or none of the above.  Or, you know, they're just going to somehow force all dragons to see nothing but imagines of Richard Simmons 24/7/365 and hope for mass suicide.

Hey, it could work.

I'd like to know where people get the idea that dragons are so godly invincible. A mossun rifle can put a bullet clean through a quarter inch steel plate with no problem whatsoever. I know this for a fact, I have witnessed it with my own eyes. Would you please tell me how a dragon's hide, made of flesh and bone and skin, is gonna stop a bullet designed to pierce armor from a 60 year old rifle? Where do you get the idea that small arms fire won't be effective against dragons? Is it the furry tendancy to make a dragon character becuase you want something HUGE and MAGICAL and VERY VIRILE with a gigantic penis that can be invincible to rayguns and lasers, shoot magical beams out of its eyes that can nuke civilizations, be covered in horns and scales and unnecessary appendages, and basically fulfill every wish to be "teh gr4t3st" that you've ever had?

Dragons aren't gods. A bullet through the skull will do to them what it does to just about anything else that breathes.

Jeesh.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Slavkei on December 20, 2006, 07:01:27 AM
I'd like to know where people get the idea that dragons are so godly invincible.

Well, you'd have to ask Amber about her reasoning, but I'd say it's pretty safe bet that anything that can live for millions of years is going to be pretty tough to kill.

QuoteA mossun rifle can put a bullet clean through a quarter inch steel plate with no problem whatsoever. I know this for a fact, I have witnessed it with my own eyes. Would you please tell me how a dragon's hide, made of flesh and bone and skin, is gonna stop a bullet designed to pierce armor from a 60 year old rifle?

Much as I hate to use the 'magic' cop-out, this is DMFA we're talking about.  There's no good reason why their bones or indeed their hide could not be magically protected, possibly even along the lines of the General Products hull (artificially-strengthened molecules).

QuoteDragons aren't gods. A bullet through the skull will do to them what it does to just about anything else that breathes.

It certainly looks like Pyro would be vulnerable to that in his anthro mode.  But the demonlogy suggests otherwise regarding his full dragon form.