12/5/2006 Scutum means `shield'

Started by superluser, December 04, 2006, 09:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: thegayhare on December 05, 2006, 01:19:22 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 05, 2006, 10:32:04 AM
(rather like Garuda and Vodyanoi in Perdido Street Station). 

Whoa some one else who's read Perdido street station... Have you read the scar as well?  I should cheek to see if there have been any more books set in that extreamly interesting world.
Not yet.  Iron Council is the third one in the series, by the way.

Quotehe only apeard breifly once in the book but I'm entralled with Jack Half-a-Prayer...
Yeah, he turns up again at the very end when they let Yagharek go.  My favourites has to be The Weaver, though.  And that wonderful description of The Torque..

Quote from: HeroZero on December 04, 2006, 09:59:27 PM
Hmm...call it a delusion, but is it just me or is a certain dalmatian who had it pointed out about him being at SAIA missing?
Hard to say.  The last shot we have of him, he was in front of where Abel and Devin are now.  It's possible he might have slipped behind them while the others were arguing over Abel, but if it is him he's just blown his cover by attacking which would have been a pretty silly thing to do.

Quote from: Stygian on December 05, 2006, 07:23:38 AM
2: Xander proves to be the "monster" in hiding. Whether it is the real Xander or not, I leave to you.
If you're suggesting that the real Xander was replaced by the monster during the 'signalling orb' bit, note that he has made an in-character comment since his return.  That doesn't preclude possession or substitution by a mindreading foe of course, but it does make it a bit less likely (unless of course he's always been the monster..).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

Quote from: superluser on December 05, 2006, 01:23:26 PM
I swear you people are just copying and pasting from online Latin dictionaries
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

thegayhare

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 05, 2006, 01:36:40 PM
Not yet.  Iron Council is the third one in the series, by the way.

Ohh thank you, saves me a search,  the scar is quite good,  full of more biazare and interesting creatures and charactors.  The scab molders (I cn't remember there real name off the top of my head) and the probability sword realy caught my eye.  as did thewhole city of armada.

Yeah, he turns up again at the very end when they let Yagharek go.  My favourites has to be The Weaver, though.  And that wonderful description of The Torque..

I rememberd that as soon as I saw you'd replied... the weaver was unique to say the least so very insane but still an interesting creature... I wonder what he likes now.  It was sissors in the book and they mentioned checker boards before that he must have moved on to someting else by now.

It's such a vibrant and intresting wold he's created there so much is made referance to and so little is clearly defined.   

Sorry I'm a fan

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 05, 2006, 01:36:40 PMIf you're suggesting that the real Xander was replaced by the monster during the 'signalling orb' bit, note that he has made an in-character comment since his return.  That doesn't preclude possession or substitution by a mindreading foe of course, but it does make it a bit less likely (unless of course he's always been the monster..).

I note that Xander doesn't have much of a personality until Abel screams that he doesn't want to be sodomized.  At which point Xander seems to change completely, almost as if he's saying ``What did Devin tell you we creatures do?'' but then checks himself as he realized what Devin has prepared for his cover.

And some Latin off-topicness:

Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 05, 2006, 01:33:49 PMBut of course, you should know by now, all of us are Non Impeditus per sententia processus.

You should be able to guess what that says. >:3

Car Talk fans?

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 05, 2006, 01:52:38 PMLorem ipsum dolor sit amet...

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha (for those who don't get it)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Amber Williams

There's a Rule #8 you guys should be remembering. Just because I use 2 latin words to do a spell in comic does not mean its open season for babelfish on the forums.

Teroniss

If Xander is the creature, the replacement/possession woulda had to have happened when Xander was away from Abel and Devin. Xander could not have been the creature from the start, cuz as Glory said, they followed its tracks from the outpost and it looped back around. Xander was with Devin and later Abel the whole time up until the outpost.

p.s.-Thats ok Amber, babelfish doesnt translate latin last i checked anywho

Sid

I only speedread the three pages since I don't speak Latin, but OMG NICE EFFECTS! MWEEEE!

When I noticed the preview image, I first thought that Glory shapeshifted into Fa'Lina (the bit of her shield reminded me a bit of her Clan Symbol somehow, and the color scheme seemed to be similar...) xD

And I oh-so-totally heard the funky action-sequence guitar riff from Beast Wars when Glory started casting her shield.

I'm eager to see if we'll follow Devin and Abel or if we get to stick around the action a bit longer... :eager

Not-really-edit: I got DOUBLE-ninja'd? Hot thread...
:boogie

Arcalane

Quote from: Amber Panyko on December 05, 2006, 02:30:24 PM
There's a Rule #8 you guys should be remembering. Just because I use 2 latin words to do a spell in comic does not mean its open season for babelfish on the forums.

Hey, Carpe Diem is perfectly legitimate latin, to my knowledge. >_>

~~

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on December 05, 2006, 01:34:29 PM
you know what I would have used to reduce damage done to me by that attack if I were a paladin? I would use Fire Resist Aura from the Diablo 2* Paladin class

*Diablo 2...game by Blizzard/Blizzard North.

Still only reduce it by 75% max. Unless you have some kinda item to boost your resistances beyond the 75% cap - and those are rare as heck.

Aridas

and fire absorb, but I don't remember if an item like that exists.

Zedd

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 05, 2006, 04:34:19 PM
and fire absorb, but I don't remember if an item like that exists.

Its been awhile but I think there was a fire adsorb item but rare as hell

ChaoSynergy

e_voyager

Quote from: Amber Panyko on December 05, 2006, 02:30:24 PM

babelfish?  did i miss something?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Amber Williams

QuoteRule #8

The Conspiracy Rule: No posting in anything other than English. If the administrators cannot decode what you're saying, then you don't need to post it.

* Section A: The languages which are prohibited include but are not limited to: any language other than English (all posts must be entirely in English, unless referring to a name or place), Excessive 1337-speak, backward text, encoding. Spanish is among the barred languages. This is simply because only one of our admins can speak Spanish, and while he can decode the posts, no one else can. Sorry.

Basically put, if it requires you going off-forum for an online translator...then you shouldn't be posting it.  Babelfish is a hitchhikers reference to a fish that would automatically translate one language into another via niftyness.   It isn't cool and trendy to make your posts mysterious with a different language most people cant read.

GabrielsThoughts

Amber is incapable of translating Latin...and she be having zee problems cognating zee  olde engrish.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Aridas

e_voyager

okay thanks.  some how i did not realize babelfish was a translator.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

llearch n'n'daCorna

e, they're referring to babelfish.altavista.com (lest you find some other alternatives, like astalavista.com :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Anri

Sooo, nice that they're next to an overturned cart to take cover in. *nod*

Stygian

As yet more new members fall victim to the horrible trap of the Latin Plague, will Amber make it on time to correct them all? Or will DMoon and his fiendish lackeys get to them before? Stay tuned on Clockwork Mansion!

Sid

Quote from: Tikki on December 05, 2006, 06:55:41 PM
Sooo, nice that they're next to an overturned cart to take cover in. *nod*

I think common sense implies that a cart made out of wood provides little shielding against mutiple fireballs :P
Of course, it's better than nothing, but I kinda hope they keep running until they reach the appropriate minimum safety distance (like... 1 mile for Cubi, 2 miles for Demons, 5 miles for annoyed Fae, next continent for enraged Wildy ;))
:boogie

thetire

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on December 05, 2006, 01:34:29 PM
you know what I would have used to reduce damage done to me by that attack if I were a paladin? I would use Fire Resist Aura from the Diablo 2* Paladin class

*Diablo 2...game by Blizzard/Blizzard North.

ah, just take it like a garou* and soak it, ya pansy.  >:3

*Werewolf: The Apocalypse

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sid on December 05, 2006, 07:10:02 PM
I think common sense implies that a cart made out of wood provides little shielding against mutiple fireballs :P
Of course, it's better than nothing, but I kinda hope they keep running until they reach the appropriate minimum safety distance (like... 1 mile for Cubi, 2 miles for Demons, 5 miles for annoyed Fae, next continent for enraged Wildy ;))

The idea of the cart is that the Bad Guy can't see what you're planning for him, while you're hiding.

Assuming that the cart actually provides any cover at all, of course.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ShiningShadow

Or a false mis-direction have somebody go there while the enemy forces his attack on the cart and the poor sap to go there in the first place. Then *viola* the main group is going towards the tower and get that sob once and for all.