12/5/2006 Scutum means `shield'

Started by superluser, December 04, 2006, 09:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mock AV

[dndgeek]Fire Shield, isn't that a 4th level sorcerer spell?[/dndgeek]

Manawolf

[D&Dubergeek]No, it's also usable by clerics, but then it would be a cold shield, generating cold and resisting fire.  What Glory put up is more of a Shield of Faith, which is 1st level and known by clerics and paladins alike.[/D&Dubergeek]

Edit: I'm sorry, but he asked.

Mock AV

Oh, hmm where did fire come from, I guess I was reading to fast, or maybe it was the cookies

Edit: Accualtly the Cold version of Fire Shield is usuable by both clerics and sorcerers/wizards, and so is the fire version. Also clerics cannot cast is unless they have the fire or sun domains.

Manawolf

Because it is normally referred to as fire shield, cold shield is just an alternative version you can use.  Since a shield of force with what is most likely her faith's symbol is on it, it would definitely be Shield of Faith.  Cold Shield envelopes the person in a cold barrier, chilling anything that tries to get through it.

Mock AV

Quote from: Manawolf on December 05, 2006, 12:12:42 AM
Because it is normally referred to as fire shield, cold shield is just an alternative version you can use.  Since a shield of force with what is most likely her faith's symbol is on it, it would definitely be Shield of Faith.  Cold Shield envelopes the person in a cold barrier, chilling anything that tries to get through it.
I already said that I was wrong on my first assumition of fire shield because of reading too fast/cookies.  :eager

Cogidubnus

Populus quisnam bulla Carcer quod Extraho commoror forum, turbatio sulum alius.

I figured since the comic spoke in latin, why not everyone else?

It says dungeons and dragons nerds inhabit this forum and are confusing everyone else.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 04, 2006, 10:42:33 PM
I think you guys are overanalyzing this eye thing, where it can easily be part of the fireball's spread-y nature. it's not solid, after all.

Maybe they are Warp-Aci and their aurae are really glowing.  :)

With regards,
Ted

Teroniss

I once played a CG Cleric that convinced a Paladin to accept the assistance of a Troll that had been imprisoned by the Fire Giants we were fighting in 1st Ed D&D. Woooo, Charisma 18 Baby!!!!

Taross

Opening bets here.

The fire is being shot at the heroes by:

A. Aaryanna
B. Destania
C. Pyroduck(ling)

Zorro

Evil Clerics are the most powerful AD&D characters.

Nothing like a powerful one TURNING a Paladin!

That and commanding undead in to your service and creating them.

ShiningShadow

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh battle time!!!!!!!!! I love this like throwing my first flashbang at a very unlucky soul and follow up with a strong attack with either my 50 Cal. machine gun or my double edge katanas *but hey that's me * Anyway I can't wait for the dreaded enemy to pop up and see the combatants ready to rock. I can't wait for what's next if when my battles will start I will have any AC/DC music blasting in my ears while I'm attacking unrelentlessly. But who is unknown enemy attacking we will have to wait to find out our culprit once and for all.

Stygian

Illic nos vado. Denique nos adepto video vidi visum nonnullus factum!*

My speculations at possible scenarios;

1: The "monster", more probably some sort of creature, was hiding with Abel and Devin under an invisibility spell or something like it and using them as a cover to launch further attacks against the adventurers fighting it.

2: Xander proves to be the "monster" in hiding. Whether it is the real Xander or not, I leave to you.

3: The "monster" simply launched a sneak attack at just this moment, after having followed Abel and Devin around and waiting to dive at them.

Now, were I the monster, I would have gone for a variant of option two, as that is closer to my way of approach to these situations. But I never would have just started throwing fireballs around...

Oh, and stop trying to apply D&D rules to this. It doesn't work that way.

*There we go. Finally we get to see some action!

Pentawolf

Hrmmm.. the fireballs look vaugely like mice...

*Aurissa yells* "Rabbits not mice!!!"

*Pent Yells back* "Mice!"

"Rabbits!"

*And on and on and on.... sadly*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Throwing fireballs you do from point-blank range.

"Dodge this" type of shot. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Arcalane

Quote from: Landon_Fox on December 04, 2006, 10:13:05 PM
Paladins are an odd thing to me.  On one hand, I can understand how lawful good can easily become lawful stupid.  But on the other hand, all of their special abilities are based on frikkin' charisma!  So they should be extremely likable people.  I'm glad to see a paladin shown to have some sense.

Or Lawful Anal-Retentive.  :B

Alan Garou

Quote from: Akisohida on December 04, 2006, 09:27:21 PM
Yay for combat! Also, I LOVE the donation counter for this month! EEEEEE for Matty and Dan! ^.^ *Does the Foxspider Dance Of Joy* :boogie :eager :bunny :ipod
I'll join in - I am evil Alan, I am evil Alan...  :ipod

Arcalane

Quote from: Pentawolf on December 05, 2006, 07:49:41 AM
Hrmmm.. the fireballs look vaugely like mice...

*Aurissa yells* "Rabbits not mice!!!"

*Pent Yells back* "Mice!"

"Rabbits!"

*And on and on and on.... sadly*

<Havoc> "Cow."
<Sydney> "Pig!"
<Havoc> "No, Cow!"
<Cow> "Moo!"
*tires screech as they steer around the cow*

:U

e_voyager

some how those fire balls of an meteor attack. (blood FF tactics game i never did beat it.)) me of a  rain of fire attack.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Alondro

*Charline smirks*  Oh come now, this is an easy one!  There's only one creature who could shoot fire like that!  Only one who could then trigger intense hatred within Abel upon a later meeting in the future!

*Charles*  Uhm... I know!  I know!  It's Pip!

*Charline sighs*  Yes, Charles... Pip... *whacks Charles with the really heavy Book of Knowledge.*

*Charles ack*  I was just kidding!  I know it must be Pyroduck!

*Alondro hmms*  Not so fast!  When has Amber EVER made something so obvious come true?  Hasn't she always twisted our expectations into tangled knots?

*Charles reasons*  Yes, but she might expect us to think that she'll twist it around, and instead it'll be exactly what we thinkit is!

*Charline adds*  Ah, but in that case, what we expect might not be what Amber expects us to think, since she knows that we know she always twists things into unknown directions, therefore what she expects will be obvious will in fact be what we least expect, and therefore the most unlikely guess will become the truth!

*Charles scratches his head*  Soooo... it is Pip?   :B

*Charline*  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... *WHACK WHACK WHACK!!!*   :smack
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Narethlian

I rather think, given what little evidence we have, it's a Demon.  Demons usually rampage, are highly skilled in magic, etc, etal.   It occurs to me that perhaps the creature is a particularly violent race of Mythos as well.

Unfortunately, Mythos aren't as well known for rampages.  Neither are Cubi, and also unfortunately, that is the one race that my writer's senses say the Creature belongs to.

Honestly, all we can do is sit back, wait for Abel to 'get' what's happening, have him see someone die(tired old cliche, but it works) and then everyone left gets to see what this  librarian soon to turn 'Cubi can do in a magical offensive.  

I'm half-willing to bet he could withstand a direct hit from a fireball and not be hurt too badly.  Even Cubi youngsters are magically resistant -- mainly to fire.  Note: this is according to the actual legends of Succubae and Incubae, not according to any any gaming that I'm aware of.   Since he's an adult, and almost to the age his second wings should appear, he may be almost fully immune to elemental spells.

A full-out magical assault with a fireball opener like what we see is exactly what I'd do, and have done in the past in some of my RPing excapades.  Get them all diving for cover, and while that's happening, launch a directed physical assault against the Mage/Claric/Paladin that just cast a protective shield.  If I were Glory, I wouldn't waste time in drawing my weapon and preparing for immediate melee combat.

I've played both sides(Aggressor and Defender) in this style conflict.

Now for the Defense.  This is assuming that the Creature is land-bound and not flight capable.

Glory draws her weapon and enages the charging Creature in melee combat.  Glory's party members would be the first to assist, engaging in melee as well.  Provided the Creature doesn't at this point doesn't cast a shockwave spell of some sort, they have a chance of winning.  Abel, Xander, and Devin would join in and help win it.

However, if the creature does cast a shockwave spell, things could get very messy.  It would have to depend on Xander and Abel to keep the creature off-balance while the melee characters get to their feet.  In my experience, a ranger and magic-casting librarian versus rampaging Creature = Not Good.

If the creature is flying, Only Xander, Abel, and possibly Glory could hope to damage it, and that would be with ranged and magical attacks.  Abel would also be the longest lasting spellcaster of the two, so he'd have the endurance, if not the skill and power to keep an effective attack going.  I'm not sure who could do so, but an Entangle spell would bring the Creature to the ground and allow the melee characters to engage.

I see ways to win it for the good guys, but combat is always full of unpredictable variables.

-Nar

Tapewolf

Quote from: Narethlian on December 05, 2006, 10:16:35 AM
I'm half-willing to bet he could withstand a direct hit from a fireball and not be hurt too badly.  Even Cubi youngsters are magically resistant -- mainly to fire.  Note: this is according to the actual legends of Succubae and Incubae, not according to any any gaming that I'm aware of.   Since he's an adult, and almost to the age his second wings should appear, he may be almost fully immune to elemental spells.

I get what you're saying, but as a rule Amber's mythology is only tangentially related to the core mythology (rather like Garuda and Vodyanoi in Perdido Street Station).  DMFA Angels for example are neither messengers nor servants of the Almighty, and my 16th century source books say nothing about succubi stealing souls, which would be counterproductive anyway since if they ate people's souls, their victims would be unable to serve the Evil One.

Likewise I'm not sure DMFA 'cubi have element-resistance by default.  I suspect it's more likely something that Abel will pick up at SAIA.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

GabrielsThoughts

neuter aggredior  draco impotens.

Gah! more bad latin.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Arcalane

I'm just gonna settle for "Carpe Diem". Y'know.

llearch n'n'daCorna

A full-out magical assault with a fireball opener like what we see is exactly what I'd do, and have done in the past in some of my RPing excapades.  Get them all diving for cover, and while that's happening, launch a directed physical assault against the Mage/Claric/Paladin that just cast a protective shield.  If I were Glory, I wouldn't waste time in drawing my weapon and preparing for immediate melee combat.

Ah, if you look at the frame where she's talking, where she casts the shield.. she is already drawing her sword.

I'd say, other than that, and the comments that Tapewolf has said, you're probably right. But, as you say, there's all sorts of variables. :-)

Drake Manaweilder

I'm half-willing to bet he could withstand a direct hit from a fireball and not be hurt too badly.  Even Cubi youngsters are magically resistant -- mainly to fire.  Note: this is according to the actual legends of Succubae and Incubae, not according to any any gaming that I'm aware of.   Since he's an adult, and almost to the age his second wings should appear, he may be almost fully immune to elemental spells.

Acording to Demo 101, cubi can be killed by "normal means" unless they are above a certain power level. So Abel probably has the constatution (resistance) of a regular being.

thegayhare

Off topic sorry

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 05, 2006, 10:32:04 AM
(rather like Garuda and Vodyanoi in Perdido Street Station). 

Whoa some one else who's read Perdido street station... Have you read the scar as well?  I should cheek to see if there have been any more books set in that extreamly interesting world.

he only apeard breifly once in the book but I'm entralled with Jack Half-a-Prayer...

superluser

Quote from: Stygian on December 05, 2006, 07:23:38 AMIllic nos vado. Denique nos adepto video vidi visum nonnullus factum!*

*There we go. Finally we get to see some action!

I swear you people are just copying and pasting from online Latin dictionaries (video vidi visum?).  I'd translate it this way (apologies.  My latin is rusty):

Heia!  Denique pugnas videre poterimus.

Also, I'm trying for Chaotic Good.  Jake and Elwood are my role models.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Cogidubnus

Quote from: superluser on December 05, 2006, 01:23:26 PM
I swear you people are just copying and pasting from online Latin dictionaries (video vidi visum?).  I'd translate it this way (apologies.  My latin is rusty):

Heia!  Denique pugnas videre poterimus.

Do you imply we don't actually know Latin, sir? Well, for the most part you'dn be right. But of course, you should know by now, all of us are Non Impeditus per sententia processus.

You should be able to guess what that says. >:3

KarlOmega1

you know what I would have used to reduce damage done to me by that attack if I were a paladin? I would use Fire Resist Aura from the Diablo 2* Paladin class

*Diablo 2...game by Blizzard/Blizzard North.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius