I got bored, so I colonised a Moon

Started by Arcalane, October 14, 2006, 06:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcalane

Prototype "Blueprint" Render. No terrain.

Finished Product.

Can't have taken more than... half an hour, tops. Hardest part was sorting out the central pods.

Those are little fighters on the far pads. The tower is a radar/sensor array.

Naturally, this isn't exactly the most public of bases, as it's a covert research facility for a currently unnamed corporation. Transports are rarer than your average WoW Raid Reward, and more secure than Fort Knox.

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

llearch n'n'daCorna

maybe it's just me, but personally, I'd have an "array" having more than one tower.

eg, a ring of towers, and use computer support to parallax the output from each. If you do it right, you end up with a "virtual" dish that's several tiimes larger than any physical dish you could build, with appropriate increase in the sensitivity etc...

Of course, if you're just talking to a local satellite, you can stick with what you have. Using a larger dish means you can use lower signal levels, and hence be that much harder to overhear - encryption on top of that makes it so your signal sounds like background noise, if you're really sneaky.

Just a thought.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Azlan

Personally, I would leave surface structures to a minimum and build most of my installation on sub-lunar surface arrangements.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Zedd

Arcalane

Quote from: Azlan on October 14, 2006, 08:31:34 PM
Personally, I would leave surface structures to a minimum and build most of my installation on sub-lunar surface arrangements.

A viable option, but then I wouldn't have very much to model, would I now? :rolleyes

I got bored, so I modified it.

Azlan

Quote from: Sheridan on October 14, 2006, 08:54:42 PM
Quote from: Azlan on October 14, 2006, 08:31:34 PM

A viable option, but then I wouldn't have very much to model, would I now? :rolleyes

Awww, but the staff would be so much happier!  Especially when they no longer have to worry about random nickel-iron flying fun.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

DigitalMan

Well now, good to see I'm not the only 3D artist in these parts. What program did you use for that?

xHaZxMaTx

thegayhare

those look like subterranean missile silo's

Arcalane

Quote from: DigitalMan on October 14, 2006, 09:06:41 PM
Well now, good to see I'm not the only 3D artist in these parts. What program did you use for that?

DoGA.

@TGH;

The two nearest ones are. The others are subterranean landing areas, airlock style. :P

thegayhare

Makes sense

now silos like that are an offensive measure (a fixed position weapon like that has no defensive use) so I'm guessing nukes. 

Course defensive, anti ship missile launchers could be placed under some of the hatches as well.  A threat approaches, the airlock cracks open and the launchers rise into firing position.

How ever if it was me I wouldn't rely on any sort of explosive defensive weapon, (well maybe keeping one bank of long range missiles as interceptors) I'd go with banks of autoloading electromagnetic railguns.  No Need for explosives since you'd just have to hole the crew compartment and let the vacuum in.

DigitalMan

Quote from: thegayhare on October 14, 2006, 10:55:18 PM
those look like subterranean missile silo's

Well, that's the first thing I'd build on a moon. And in my backyard, and off my friend's basement, and under the mall...

DoGA, I've never heard of that one before. It seems quite capable.

GabrielsThoughts

hmm... I was thinking the hexagons were really elaborate Solor panels, but in the second one it looks more like a weapons siloh
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Zedd

I rather live on mars thank you...Least no long weeks of cold please

Arcalane

Quote from: Zedd on October 15, 2006, 12:36:17 AM
I rather live on mars thank you...Least no long weeks of cold please

They do have this thing called AIR CONDITIONING[/i] inside, you know. So it wouldn't actually be that hot or that cold. :P

Zedd

Well excuse me for being a total retard...Derf! derderder!  :B

Nikki

y'know this looks like....

keep yer trap shut Xze...

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3