2022-08-24 [DMFA #2088] - If you know what the meaning is

Started by Tapewolf, August 24, 2022, 04:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

An answer provided by a somewhat stuffy lawful evil Demon is likely to be either something very banal, or something existentially terrifying.
I'm hoping that DP will appreciate that existential terror is liable to make Regina even more of a handful.

Fun fact:  In the game Ultima 7, one of the characters had a profound spiritual experience which they refuse to speak of, but refer to briefly in the game's manual (which canonically, was written by them).
If the player destroys all life in the game by means of an armageddon spell, this character is still left among the ruins and if spoken to, confides that the reason they became evil was because they learned from a departed spirit, that life had no meaning - and this unhinged them.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 24, 2022, 04:53:08 AM
An answer provided by a somewhat stuffy lawful evil Demon is likely to be either something very banal, or something existentially terrifying.
I'm hoping that DP will appreciate that existential terror is liable to make Regina even more of a handful.

Fun fact:  In the game Ultima 7, one of the characters had a profound spiritual experience which they refuse to speak of, but refer to briefly in the game's manual (which canonically, was written by them).
If the player destroys all life in the game by means of an armageddon spell, this character is still left among the ruins and if spoken to, confides that the reason they became evil was because they learned from a departed spirit, that life had no meaning - and this unhinged them.

Oof. Sounds like that would be enough to unhinge anyone

Akisohida

Not surprised that the man who's died multiple times, and created the Undead Race, has pondered the meaning of life.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

YawnPB

Will there be fan art of Ambarrrrrgh and Fluffy cosplay dancing as the night at the roxberry dudes? :kirby
Lurkus Wallflowerus

Tapewolf

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on August 24, 2022, 11:27:10 AM

Well, to be fair, the dead dude might have been biased since he had a few problems of his own anyway.  Alternatively, Mr B might have been reading things into the reply that weren't there.  And even if there isn't an answer, you could look at it as a blank slate to create your own meaning on.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Glenn Griffon

Unless you're a Nihilist like me.

Glenn Griffon

Quote from: Russec on August 26, 2022, 04:34:53 PM
Quote from: Glenn Griffon on August 25, 2022, 12:57:03 PM

- snip -

Unless you're a Nihilist like me.

See: https://xkcd.com/167/
Basically. I don't want to go too deep into my personal philosophy but basically life is pointless,  there's no higher or deeper meaning to anything that ever happens ever and that's okay. You are beholden to no one, so have fun!
Don't live in fear of any invisible sky daddy, your life is yours.
But at the same time don't go stepping on others toes.
Or to put it short: Be excellent to each other and party on dudes.

Tarakona

It's adorable when he helps her up. She can finally be herself and hopefully is coming to understand that she has a lot of purpose and good (gasp!) She can do.

Happy belated birthday, Amber! An awesome street taco was consumed in your honor.

Glenn Griffon

Quote from: Tarakona on August 30, 2022, 06:19:52 AM
It's adorable when he helps her up. She can finally be herself and hopefully is coming to understand that she has a lot of purpose and good (gasp!) She can do.

Happy belated birthday, Amber! An awesome street taco was consumed in your honor.

Yeah, the amount of sincere love DP shows her even if he doesn't allow hugs. The warmth and caring he has for her is so sweet.
And again, all this from a villain! A dark, twisted, evil tyrant bent on taking over a kingdom and ruling it.
At this point I'm half tempted to say H'Ann should go ahead and let him rule. He'd probably be pretty dang good at it.

Nightmask

Quote from: Glenn Griffon on August 31, 2022, 06:57:02 PM
Quote from: Tarakona on August 30, 2022, 06:19:52 AM

Yeah, the amount of sincere love DP shows her even if he doesn't allow hugs. The warmth and caring he has for her is so sweet.
And again, all this from a villain! A dark, twisted, evil tyrant bent on taking over a kingdom and ruling it.
At this point I'm half tempted to say H'Ann should go ahead and let him rule. He'd probably be pretty dang good at it.

If I remember correctly his reason for even wanting to conquer the place and rule it was to prove to family that he was worthy when they were basically rejecting the idea of him taking over instead of his sister.  So in a way he and Regina are the same, both wanting to prove themselves to their families, although it feels like DP finally grew out of that realizing that trying to earn his family's approval wasn't the way to go and instead live his life how it pleased him rather than caring what others think.  Thankfully Regina will have him saving her the centuries of learning experiences before she realizes the value of that.

Lying Foo

...you know, I know very, very close to nothing about the Ultima games, but I'm pretty sure that even I know which character you're talking about.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

e_voyager

Not sure how I feel about this but Alief soulstealer seems to be quite the mentor
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey