2021-1-17 [DMFA #2027] Wrong Horse To Bet On

Started by killpurakat, January 18, 2021, 12:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killpurakat

I find it funny that Regina immediately is all like, "Oh, sure, I'll help you, Uncle Aliph. Kill my dad? Here's what I know!"

Like, I think that speaks volumes about Regina's family and the actual love she is getting from Kria and Aliph.

Sorry, Kria, but it seems that Regina is not the help you're looking for. :P

Also, that lowkey attitude of Regina's is feeling a bit Aliph to me. She's starting to emulate him! ... just a bit, though. Still... CUTE!!!

(Actually squeed out loud, BTW. My was-napping kitty is most displeased with me ATM.)

Hariman

You know... Regina's father being a narcissist who can't see beyond his own nose explains some of why Regina is the way she is.

F.L.E.A.S. for the demon teenager. (Frightful Lingering Effects of Abusive Situations, and having a narcissist for a parent is an abusive situation. This is also my opinion on what Regina's father is, and it's neither a diagnosis or a claim of knowing beyond my own opinion.)

This doesn't excuse what Regina has done, as she is a very gray character now, leaning more towards "not bad and redeemable", than anything else.

Also... I'd say "Poor Kria", but she's still not a nice person, even though she's often likable and sympathetic, so... imma indulge in a little schadenfreude at her expense.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Carmeops

alright, you win

Regina's delivery was perfect, i made me giggle like an undead hearing a death pun

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Hariman on January 18, 2021, 01:28:37 AM

I mean, the reason virtually all the demons we've met are the way they are is due to their totally screwed up culture. Not giving them a pass, only acknowledging that their moral compasses aren't exactly tuned to true north.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a real hurtle, but narcissists can learn to be functional members of society. Having kids while also having such a personality disorder doesn't automatically create an abusive environment. It would be way harder for them than for neurotypical people, but I'm sure plenty of narcissists are decent or even good parents. Though we also know that a narcissist who isn't taking steps to work against their disorder absolutely can devastate their children and create a toxic relationship.

(I don't think you said anything wrong or anything! But I feel the need to set up some guardrails because prior experience has taught me that things can very easily slip into ableist territory here.)

I'd have to see more of Regina's dad to see where exactly he fits (though...things don't look good).
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Wanderer

Just let Aliph kill him, Kria. I'm... reasonably certain doing so at least won't make anything any worse than it already is.

AzureEdge

Quote from: Wanderer on January 18, 2021, 12:49:37 PM
Just let Aliph kill him, Kria. I'm... reasonably certain doing so at least won't make anything any worse than it already is.

Pretty sure most who know Malle would probably agree Death would be an improvement. I Barely know the guy and already feel like Death would be an improvement

Hariman

Quote from: Grey Wolf on January 18, 2021, 12:08:23 PM
Quote from: Hariman on January 18, 2021, 01:28:37 AM

I mean, the reason virtually all the demons we've met are the way they are is due to their totally screwed up culture. Not giving them a pass, only acknowledging that their moral compasses aren't exactly tuned to true north.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a real hurtle, but narcissists can learn to be functional members of society. Having kids while also having such a personality disorder doesn't automatically create an abusive environment. It would be way harder for them than for neurotypical people, but I'm sure plenty of narcissists are decent or even good parents. Though we also know that a narcissist who isn't taking steps to work against their disorder absolutely can devastate their children and create a toxic relationship.

(I don't think you said anything wrong or anything! But I feel the need to set up some guardrails because prior experience has taught me that things can very easily slip into ableist territory here.)

I'd have to see more of Regina's dad to see where exactly he fits (though...things don't look good).

It's all good!

For an explanation on I have multiple friends who were raised by narcissists, and said "parents" were... awful, to put it kindly. One literally points to Mother Gothel (a textbook narcissist) as the prime example of how their mother acted during their childhood, sans the magical witch aspects.

I have also had my own experiences with bad parenting, so my perspective is a bit on the negative side of things.

Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Hoodoo

Demons are, by and large, a culture that murders freely and feels pride in doing so. Kria, DP, and Regina have all murdered innocent people in comic and at most, been annoyed when they are told off for doing so.

Seeing people flip out at a comically egotistical demon is as funny as the comic itself - as if people have forgotten those that dislike Malle in comic are a pack of murderers.

Tuyu

Quote from: Hoodoo on January 21, 2021, 03:47:35 PM
Demons are, by and large, a culture that murders freely and feels pride in doing so. Kria, DP, and Regina have all murdered innocent people in comic and at most, been annoyed when they are told off for doing so.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't those all non-demons?

I wonder just how hard it really is to find Aliph's address. It's not like Kria has to give Malle the right address.

Nightmask

Seeing people flip out at a comically egotistical demon is as funny as the comic itself - as if people have forgotten those that dislike Malle in comic are a pack of murderers.

People do seem to ignore those points.  Kria was routinely shown murdering random people like the pizza delivery guy (and her daughter's done it as well).  I think Regina after learning what really happened between her and Dan has the cleanest hands as it were.  She never intended to kill Wildy's mother and thought she was slashing Dan and all the killing after that was her just trying to survive against all the people that came running with the 'if it's a demon kill it no need to waste time learning what happened' motivation.  Regina has no option to try and talk things out and reveal it was an accident and as far as we know she's not killed anyone since that event.  Unlike Kria and DP who take pride in their killing sprees.

killpurakat

Quote from: Nightmask on January 24, 2021, 04:39:23 PM

People do seem to ignore those points.  Kria was routinely shown murdering random people like the pizza delivery guy (and her daughter's done it as well).  I think Regina after learning what really happened between her and Dan has the cleanest hands as it were.  She never intended to kill Wildy's mother and thought she was slashing Dan and all the killing after that was her just trying to survive against all the people that came running with the 'if it's a demon kill it no need to waste time learning what happened' motivation.  Regina has no option to try and talk things out and reveal it was an accident and as far as we know she's not killed anyone since that event.  Unlike Kria and DP who take pride in their killing sprees.

Not so sure DP takes pride in his murders. I get the feeling that for him that's just a thing he did and it is now done. Sort of like sweeping the house or getting to work and not getting into an accident. These are tasks you have done, nothing more, moving onto the next mundane thing. :P

And I think, because this is fantasy to a large extent, people just brush off the actual actions of many characters and focus more on personality/world views and such because this is a world built on murder and mayhem and all. Sort of like how in the Avengers movie the Avengers were totally the heroes and it is awesome that they saved New York and drove the aliens back, but,.. they still destroyed buildings and cars and likely people, and even if (huuuuuge IF) no innocents died, that's still people's homes and property and irreplaceables getting ransacked by the "heroes," and likely it made people homeless, missing furry family members, etc.

So I wouldn't say people are forgetting that we are dealing with murderers, but rather, in the world scheme of things, we're dealing with the reasonable ones that don't seem to be the worst, so we are ignoring those deeds ATM.

Nightmask

Quote from: killpurakat on January 24, 2021, 09:36:27 PM
Quote from: Nightmask on January 24, 2021, 04:39:23 PM

Not so sure DP takes pride in his murders. I get the feeling that for him that's just a thing he did and it is now done. Sort of like sweeping the house or getting to work and not getting into an accident. These are tasks you have done, nothing more, moving onto the next mundane thing. :P

And I think, because this is fantasy to a large extent, people just brush off the actual actions of many characters and focus more on personality/world views and such because this is a world built on murder and mayhem and all. Sort of like how in the Avengers movie the Avengers were totally the heroes and it is awesome that they saved New York and drove the aliens back, but,.. they still destroyed buildings and cars and likely people, and even if (huuuuuge IF) no innocents died, that's still people's homes and property and irreplaceables getting ransacked by the "heroes," and likely it made people homeless, missing furry family members, etc.

So I wouldn't say people are forgetting that we are dealing with murderers, but rather, in the world scheme of things, we're dealing with the reasonable ones that don't seem to be the worst, so we are ignoring those deeds ATM.

That's not really a good example though, you have invading aliens literally out to conquer or sterilize the entire planet.  It was a war and the heroes did what they had to do and any collateral damage is totally because of the invading aliens and not the heroes trying to drive them off and save the world.  Quite different from how the demon race will kill and eat someone because they left their wallet at home and don't want to ask a friend to pay for their meal at a restaurant (as we see in a flashback scene with Lorenda I think it was).

The One Guy

Quote from: Nightmask on January 28, 2021, 12:40:40 AM
Quite different from how the demon race will kill and eat someone because they left their wallet at home and don't want to ask a friend to pay for their meal at a restaurant (as we see in a flashback scene with Lorenda I think it was).

Are you perhaps thinking of this strip?  Interestingly enough, the one saying saying she wants to eat someone is not a demon and Lorenda is the one arguing to not eat them (though of course, the very next panel has Kria having killed 12).

InhumanInterest

True but I think the focus is more on the collective culture for creatures in Furrae which should still apply for demons. Though I think perhaps you might get a subset of that where eating random beings would be frowned upon because of how week they are and what that says about your own strength.