DSE: Chapter 1 | The Beginnings [OOC]

Started by Arcalane, September 30, 2006, 10:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog

How big is the shuttle anywho? Are we talking something about van sized or what?

Arcalane

Large van, yes. One pilot and one navigator (gunner in militarised versions, but not this one) up front and four passengers in the back, with a small cargo bay for transporting small items.

llearch n'n'daCorna

How do you fit 5 elephants in a shuttle?

... sorry.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Stygian

You can't imagine my frustration at getting to know that others beside me and Angel were in the shuttle. Where the hell did they come from? I would have managed the situation entirely differently, had they been away. Now, suddenly all the focus is on me, and I don't know how this is going to end. I expect to see more notice of people's whereabouts in the future, because frankly I find situations like these very disturbing and hard to bear.

The use of medical symbiotes is a highly contested practice, seen as strictly taboo by some cultures, disgusting by many, and morally questionable by most. Where cybernetics are regular and controllable, symbiotes are not, and as much as they can be both more dramatic and more powerful than even the most advanced cybernetics in some cases, so they can also be dangerous and unpredictable in others. This is why many go to great lengths to hide that they are unified with a symbiote. In Sebastian's case this is taken to an even greater length, as his case is more extreme than that of most, perhaps even any.

ITOS

This generic comment was brought to you by:

Arcalane

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 22, 2006, 08:00:33 AM
How do you fit 5 elephants in a shuttle?

... sorry.

Two in the front and three in the back! :B

Azlan

Quote from: Stygian on December 23, 2006, 06:38:26 PM
You can't imagine my frustration at getting to know that others beside me and Angel were in the shuttle. Where the hell did they come from? I would have managed the situation entirely differently, had they been away. Now, suddenly all the focus is on me, and I don't know how this is going to end. I expect to see more notice of people's whereabouts in the future, because frankly I find situations like these very disturbing and hard to bear.

The use of medical symbiotes is a highly contested practice, seen as strictly taboo by some cultures, disgusting by many, and morally questionable by most. Where cybernetics are regular and controllable, symbiotes are not, and as much as they can be both more dramatic and more powerful than even the most advanced cybernetics in some cases, so they can also be dangerous and unpredictable in others. This is why many go to great lengths to hide that they are unified with a symbiote. In Sebastian's case this is taken to an even greater length, as his case is more extreme than that of most, perhaps even any.

Locklear noticed nothing above a personality conflict between two crewmembers.  I make it a habit of observing personnel interaction before missions on small tight little shuttles, this isn't hollywood.  We have had at least the flight to the system to interact and establish our personal boundaries.  Also consider that this is a corporate space mission, there should be some fairly strict regulations regarding this type of behavior.  The captain at least should be initiating some type of disciplinary action, because the nature of this mission and space missions in general require long periods of isolation, with only your crewmates for company and interaction.  Our current, real life space programs put astronauts through strict psychological evaluations and screens out many of the emotional and behavioral problems.  Nothing is perfect, but I don't wish to end up with a Saturn 5 situation. 

As for the symbiote issue, if such things are true then all symbiotes and hosts would need to be registered and tracked in some sort of fashion.  As such, I was under the impression we are somewhat aware of the character's nature, to a limited degree.  If not and you are concealing the nature of your being, serious consequences can occur from this, up to and including the termination of the life functions of your host and the containment of the symbiote or the complete destruction of both lifeforms.  Before your ego and pride come to a boil, let me quickly state that I do not want that to happen, mainly because I don't want to see direct character confrontations nor do I wish to fuel ego-based storylines.

Remember we are playing adults, this is not anime/manga where government/corporate organizations put inexperienced teens into positions of authority and/or responsibility, nor are we in a Hollywood SciFi thriller where we have to blindly fall into every stereotype and trap laid out in the plot.  It doesn't mean we won't have a Crimson Tide style situation, I just want to make sure we all handle things maturely and intelligently.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Stygian

Quote from: Azlan on December 24, 2006, 04:06:12 PM
Locklear noticed nothing above a personality conflict between two crewmembers.  I make it a habit of observing personnel interaction before missions on small tight little shuttles, this isn't hollywood.  We have had at least the flight to the system to interact and establish our personal boundaries.  Also consider that this is a corporate space mission, there should be some fairly strict regulations regarding this type of behavior.  The captain at least should be initiating some type of disciplinary action, because the nature of this mission and space missions in general require long periods of isolation, with only your crewmates for company and interaction.  Our current, real life space programs put astronauts through strict psychological evaluations and screens out many of the emotional and behavioral problems.  Nothing is perfect, but I don't wish to end up with a Saturn 5 situation. 

As for the symbiote issue, if such things are true then all symbiotes and hosts would need to be registered and tracked in some sort of fashion.  As such, I was under the impression we are somewhat aware of the character's nature, to a limited degree.  If not and you are concealing the nature of your being, serious consequences can occur from this, up to and including the termination of the life functions of your host and the containment of the symbiote or the complete destruction of both lifeforms.  Before your ego and pride come to a boil, let me quickly state that I do not want that to happen, mainly because I don't want to see direct character confrontations nor do I wish to fuel ego-based storylines.

Remember we are playing adults, this is not anime/manga where government/corporate organizations put inexperienced teens into positions of authority and/or responsibility, nor are we in a Hollywood SciFi thriller where we have to blindly fall into every stereotype and trap laid out in the plot.  It doesn't mean we won't have a Crimson Tide style situation, I just want to make sure we all handle things maturely and intelligently.

As per my backstory, the "Stygian" symbiote is not a traced specimen, since it was a prototype and removed from Haudée's "operation" under unusual circumstances. The records pertaining to Sebastian Tycho know him as a normal human, equipped only with a computer interface cybernetic implant. There is no mention of symbiotes at all. However, the records also know him to be much older than he appears, why this would probably be a cause for suspicion. As would many other files on him for the last thirty years that seem to have gone "missing".

The only thing that fuels the egocentricity of these latest posts is the fact that someone else but Angel got to know about the symbiote ordeal. I would have much preferred to have kept the eyes a mere hint, and Sebastian getting more and more bitter and reclusive in many parts of his behaviour, but the crew unaware, up until a far later point. The reason for his actions lately are entirely driven by circumstances.

I have now taken the liberty of editing my second latest post, so as to make its meaning less clear. Have fun.

Joshua

NPC's

Yueh Haynes
Male / humanoid
Blue skin / no hair / violet eyes
Corporate employee in charge of the company men on board the ship.

Katharine Foster
Female / cat-girl (because I can. :D )
Tanned / red hair with light brown cat ears and tail / yellow eyes
Secondary navigator / security member

Dr Glace
(feel free to flesh this one out)

bill

NPC:

Z.I.L. Preston
Male/Human
Brown eyes/blond hair
Lieutenant Engineer

Stygian

NPC:

Dr. Isa Alice Glace
Female/German Shepherd-type canid-morph
Blonde/brown/black fur, tan skin, amber eyes
Knowledgeable and dedicated but sometimes dry, though cleverer than she sometimes comes off, doctor. Long-time corporate employed consultant, with both medical and psychological examina.

bill

Arcalane

ITOS

Angel is just waiting for one of these things to happen:

• Arrive in orbit.
  • Attacked by space pirates.
  • Meeting with Cap.
  • Getting thrown into an alternative dimension by a drunk taxi driver from Manhattan who ate chicken for lunch.
  • "You've got mail."
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Arcalane

I'm thinking option #4 is the most likely right now.

Azlan

I am awaiting an occurance of some sort, if we need to advance the story ourselves please let us know...

Stygian

Arcalane

bill

bill

Incidentally, I'd like to apologize for my lack of activity, as my internet connection has been sporadic at best as of late.

Azlan

Quote from: Sheridan on January 16, 2007, 03:46:23 AM
((I think perhaps I worded that poorly. The crash site and compound are in different areas, several hundred miles away from each other, if not a few thousand.))

Duly noted and clarified in a means not involving editing past posts.

Eibborn

Just dropping a note here saying that as of tomorrow, I am without (certain) net access for about a week. So I guess just leave Miki puttering around the ship, trying to be helpful in an unexperienced way.
/kicks the internet over