2019/06/09 [RE 63.35] Comic's over, time to go home

Started by Tapewolf, June 09, 2019, 08:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Looks like we got the bad ending.

I can't say I'm entirely surprised, since this was predicted.  But it is a little disappointing.
Having seen 'Brotherhood of the wolf' where the story loses its main characters and then flops around like a dying fish for a bit, I am interested to see if it can recover (which BotW did, to its credit).  I hope it can... but this has kind of removed the main plot hook, and I'm not seeing one to replace it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Puyon

Ah, I see. That's why you could make a snap decision on whether or not Loki became a Light Power. In the end... it didn't really help her, huh...? I know for years we were being dropped hints that Loki wouldn't make it but... damn. It's not fair. The curse couldn't even be the one to take her out.

Hey Merlin. This page has me frightened. But you've probably had this planned longer than I've been reading. So this has me intrigued... for how exactly this is going to work now.
...By Puyon

Tapewolf

Arguably she has beaten the curse.  Though it's a bit of a pyrrhic victory.  It also means that Orianna is now free to pretend to be Loki.

That said, I'm reminded of this:  http://dougtheeagle.com/stuff/bw_death.mp3

This is also a question that could do with a QFR page or something:  https://www.tigerknight.com/cc/2001-04-29

Lying Foo

Well, I think we all saw this coming, if no earlier, at least from the moment Merlin promised to end on this page.

Loki's death in general has been coming for most of a decade - this means no Dia, though?
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 09, 2019, 10:49:29 AM
Arguably she has beaten the curse.  Though it's a bit of a pyrrhic victory.  It also means that Orianna is now free to pretend to be Loki.

That said, I'm reminded of this:  http://dougtheeagle.com/stuff/bw_death.mp3

This is also a question that could do with a QFR page or something:  https://www.tigerknight.com/cc/2001-04-29

Quite the amusing audio.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on June 09, 2019, 12:03:30 PM
Quite the amusing audio.

A clip from one of the 1979 episodes of The Burkiss Way, which started out as a spoof radio correspondence course.  This episode was doing a parody of The Masque of the Red Death.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 09, 2019, 08:32:49 PM
Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on June 09, 2019, 12:03:30 PM
Quite the amusing audio.

A clip from one of the 1979 episodes of The Burkiss Way, which started out as a spoof radio correspondence course.  This episode was doing a parody of The Masque of the Red Death.

Looked the series up just now. The episode in question wouldn't happen to have been called Avoid Like the Plague the Burkiss Way, would it?

Tapewolf

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on June 09, 2019, 11:01:32 PM
Looked the series up just now. The episode in question wouldn't happen to have been called Avoid Like the Plague the Burkiss Way, would it?

Yes. 

Quote from: Puyon on June 09, 2019, 10:01:30 AM
I know for years we were being dropped hints that Loki wouldn't make it but... damn. It's not fair.

"Life isn't fair.  Death is fair, for it comes to everyone, but I digress." -Professor Fa'Rana

Puyon

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 10, 2019, 04:11:29 AM
Quote from: Puyon on June 09, 2019, 10:01:30 AM
I know for years we were being dropped hints that Loki wouldn't make it but... damn. It's not fair.

"Life isn't fair.  Death is fair, for it comes to everyone, but I digress." -Professor Fa'Rana

I ain't taking words of wisdom from the Professor at the school of Genocidal Maniacs.

Man this page has me really torn up. God I've just been so sad about it. Like... Loki is almost certainly done for. While the rule for things happening is LaRaGa is "anything can happen, but it's a matter of likelihood" has me wondering if there will be a rabbit trick of resurrection but not once has there been a known resurrection that didn't end in someone becoming a shambling undead creature. Hell, when I first saw the page my first instinct was to doubt that what I was seeing was real.

And golly I am so freaking angry and Jake??? You didn't have to do that!! You could have just teleported somewhere else if there was an actual concern that Loki could call on the Elemental Gods to attack him. I get it, you're a god, why make a compromise for a mortal but... dammit. Loki didn't deserve that.
...By Puyon

Tapewolf

Quote from: Puyon on June 10, 2019, 11:36:24 AM
Man this page has me really torn up. God I've just been so sad about it. Like... Loki is almost certainly done for. While the rule for things happening is LaRaGa is "anything can happen, but it's a matter of likelihood" has me wondering if there will be a rabbit trick of resurrection but not once has there been a known resurrection that didn't end in someone becoming a shambling undead creature. Hell, when I first saw the page my first instinct was to doubt that what I was seeing was real.

Well, this is one of the reasons I was curious about what happens if someone brings the body back to life after the Reaper has taken the soul.  Someone flatlining and being revived isn't all that unusual.
Case in point, a real story of someone who had apparently fallen off a ladder.  Turned out they had been taking down some old, isolated cables which were not only live, but carrying 415v three phase power.  What seems to have happened was that the power killed them, but by sheer luck, the fall from the ladder kickstarted their heart.
We don't actually know what Jake did to end Loki's life, or how reversible it is (e.g. by another deity).

The other loophole is the one Mana is using.  Not a great solution but it would give Loki the opportunity to settle her affairs, e.g. what happens to the ranch, Zippy and so on.

QuoteAnd golly I am so freaking angry and Jake??? You didn't have to do that!! You could have just teleported somewhere else if there was an actual concern that Loki could call on the Elemental Gods to attack him. I get it, you're a god, why make a compromise for a mortal but... dammit. Loki didn't deserve that.

I know exactly how you feel... it really wasn't how I wanted to the weekend to go.

Jake-wise, there's also the fact that he's swatted someone belonging to one of the higher tier gods.  That didn't seem particularly smart, in fact it made me wonder if that was the trigger for Fall.  But illusion magic still seems to be going strong in NG+ so I guess not...

Merlin

Hey now, at least she finally gets to see her family again??

P:

Tapewolf

Quote from: Merlin on June 15, 2019, 11:28:48 PM
Hey now, at least she finally gets to see her family again??

P:

How is that a good thing?  She's failed at the main task her ancestors have set her, and given the way they treat Tella, I suspect they're going to make Loki's death a misery as well.  There's also the fact that it only seems to be her grandfather who's looking out for her in any way, shape or form, so either she's beneath her parents' caring, or they've bailed and gone through the cosmic woodchipper in which case she's not going to see them.

Puyon

If the Kiborns were well-adjusted people, they'd accept the loss. Loki's dead. That's it. Time to go to the next life and try again. That's the end of that.

But since they are not well-adjusted people, I anticipate a tantrum, Tella's probably going to suffer the brunt of their wrath ("if she were a more practiced Light Power, she could have lived!"), and demand that he send her back out there however he's been doing it (which presents its own problems).

Of course that means a Clanner would have to die, preferably Phoenix Claw given her geographical position, but I don't think Claw completely understood how to bring ghosts back.
...By Puyon