Yo, want fries with that?

Started by Kenik, January 25, 2017, 10:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprocketsdance

Mao

Seriously, that thing is like Thor's hammer.  Jewish Mjölnir all up in there.

Sprocketsdance

Quote from: Mao on February 15, 2017, 08:26:19 PM
Seriously, that thing is like Thor's hammer.  Jewish Mjölnir all up in there.

Yeeeeessssssss. Perfect description!

Merlin

So it's like this

but in the crotchal region? That's amazing

ZacAttac21

Lordy Lordy Lordy, this is getting out of hand...

:over

Sprocketsdance

Quote from: Merlin on February 15, 2017, 08:42:29 PM
So it's like this

but in the crotchal region? That's amazing

Every. Time.

Darkmoon

*flappa flappa flappa zooooooooooooooom*

Never had any complaints.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Merlin

Quote from: CubiKitsune on February 15, 2017, 08:52:16 PM
Lordy Lordy Lordy, this is getting out of hand...

that's what she said *snaps*

Darkmoon

Dishonored

Wow...this blew up fast. And to think, I seem to have started this by giving a few negative karma points to someone who rubbed me the wrong way as a lark.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Mao

Sometimes, the smallest pebble can cause the largest waves.

Dishonored

Quote from: Mao on February 15, 2017, 09:18:38 PM
Sometimes, the smallest pebble can cause the largest waves.

True, but I'm still amazed at the direction they take at times.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Darkmoon

When the waves are caused by throwing an idiot into the river, there's only one way they can go at this place.

Kenik

Wow, not 100% sure why people always think I'm screaming in rage or whatever, considering my typical use of periods is supposed to intone as neutral. But yeah, I kinda figured you guys wouldn't really care too much what my reasons were. Or that for everything I say there are two I can't find words for.

Also don't call me homophobic that's not a condition most people have and literally means "fear of the same". Which is 1 not the condition you are trying to describe. 2 The condition you are trying to describe is not an irrational fear, unless you are trying to describe that in which case you've picked the wrong word and managed to misread my post beyond what I'd let slide as my autism getting in the way of communication. And 3 Being concerned for someones safety on account all serious research points to their stated condition being dangerous to have, is not being afraid of them, or really any more harmful than a mere conspiracy theorist.
On the other points though. You guys honestly could have made a shorter explanation. I can't take a hint, but I'm not stupid. Just say that you don't want that kind of discussion around. I'll get it, just be direct.
And I've said it once I'll say it again: I Got The Fucking Point. It doesn't need to be brought up, and your attempts at explaining yourselves are in themselves irksome. Heck I can even understand WHY you wouldn't want this kind of discussion, considering I've seen myself that these arguments never end if either party is halfway decent at making a point.
Though I don't consider your assessment of rules violations to be correct, it's not really my call. And if you take me for a violator and kick me out, I'm just going to accept that as life and move on.

Bottom line: You hit your mark, and then blew it. My respect gained and lost. You are back to being normal moderators to me; worthy of respect, but not admiration.

Edit: I'll just offer you guys a binary option.

You can make a thread for discussing this polarizing stuff with me. I'll try to be polite as long as the rules of discussion etiquette are followed. And will try to confine any snark to a post by post basis. Send link of it to me in a private message. I would point out that if you directly insult me I'm not going to hold back in following posts, and will berate in addition to pointing out flaws in the argument. I've no intent to make that topic though, as it amounts to picking a fight with everyone who disagrees. Thus the posting of what I find relevant to myself on this thread.

The other option is to drop the topic. I'm competitive enough that I'm not likely to let someone else have the last laugh. And in realizing that I've decided to offer this, and give myself a tiny victory while giving you what you want.

I like Fey.

Darkmoon

Oh no, I've lost someone's respect. Whatever will I do?

*cough*

I'll just leave this here for you to chew on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

TL;DR: You're a homophobe. Deal with it.

Sprocketsdance

Oh dear Kenik, you're cute thinking that we care if you admire or respect us. We're moderators. That's all. We do not need or require anything from you besides having you FOLLOW THE RULES.

Learn from your mistake.

You do not get to tell us how to respond to your decision to bring up something that was unnecessary for this forum. Political stuff? Put it in its own thread. You're the one that brought it up in the first place so if you want to keep at it you get to make a separate thread for it. We are not going to pander to your need to control anything here.

Kenik

When I corrected your use of homophobia I was aware of how people use the fucking word. I just think it's a retarded word, and honestly diminishes the value of phobia as a descriptor.

Also when the hell did I demand control? I've explained my view or rather what of it seemed relevant to the topic. And the initial mention was me mentioning discomfort. I'm half okay with characters being gay. But at it's most insanely common it's like 10% of the population. And it just seems a bit overexposed in popular culture. But what bothers me more:
Shippers, always the fucking shippers. No need to pay attention to the guy who has more than a thousand years worth of relationship advice crammed into his head. The guy who actually proved he knows his stuff by getting it right on the first try. Nah, everyone wants to make their own way, and listen to people who have anecdotal medical experience describe an ill studied facet of one of human culture's most ridiculously complicated facets. And they want to tell me these relationships are going to last? No, just no. Some of them, the best of them, would last about 3 years barring unfathomable amounts of outside influence.
You wanna know how to sniff out a relationship that can work out? Imagine the couple trying to raise kids, if they are too childish, then it MAYBE would be good in a few years. If one of them is a compulsive liar, there's not much way his kids are going to respect his word of honor, or take any useful advice he has to heart. Why don't I like gay couples? What can a second father do that the first cannot? Where is the influence of femininity? Reversing the genders it works exactly the same.
I know a lot of stuff is subjective, but this isn't. My grandmother's, grandmother's, grandfather's father taught me that much.

But that stuff is irrelevant. I'm here because I like the comic. Not much more, not much less.
I keep talking because people keep on saying condescending bullshit that makes me want to strangle them.

I like Fey.

Merlin

Darkmoon

Quote from: Kenik on February 22, 2017, 04:07:40 AM
When I corrected your use of homophobia I was aware of how people use the fucking word. I just think it's a retarded word, and honestly diminishes the value of phobia as a descriptor.

Also when the hell did I demand control? I've explained my view or rather what of it seemed relevant to the topic. And the initial mention was me mentioning discomfort. I'm half okay with characters being gay. But at it's most insanely common it's like 10% of the population. And it just seems a bit overexposed in popular culture. But what bothers me more:
Shippers, always the fucking shippers. No need to pay attention to the guy who has more than a thousand years worth of relationship advice crammed into his head. The guy who actually proved he knows his stuff by getting it right on the first try. Nah, everyone wants to make their own way, and listen to people who have anecdotal medical experience describe an ill studied facet of one of human culture's most ridiculously complicated facets. And they want to tell me these relationships are going to last? No, just no. Some of them, the best of them, would last about 3 years barring unfathomable amounts of outside influence.
You wanna know how to sniff out a relationship that can work out? Imagine the couple trying to raise kids, if they are too childish, then it MAYBE would be good in a few years. If one of them is a compulsive liar, there's not much way his kids are going to respect his word of honor, or take any useful advice he has to heart. Why don't I like gay couples? What can a second father do that the first cannot? Where is the influence of femininity? Reversing the genders it works exactly the same.
I know a lot of stuff is subjective, but this isn't. My grandmother's, grandmother's, grandfather's father taught me that much.

But that stuff is irrelevant. I'm here because I like the comic. Not much more, not much less.
I keep talking because people keep on saying condescending bullshit that makes me want to strangle them.

You know, if you want to make this argument it's good to not do it with someone who was raised by two women. Lesbian women. Maybe you should rethink where you spew your hateful bigotry.

And, fuckwit, just because you hate a word doesn't mean you get to redefine it.

Sprocketsdance

Also when the hell did I demand control?

Quote from: Kenik on February 21, 2017, 04:11:41 PM
You can make a thread for discussing this polarizing stuff with me.

You said this after we told you to move the topic of your disgust for normal human activity to a separate thread. By you trying to tell us to make a special thread for your own special interests sounds a lot like you trying to control the situation. Again, you don't get to tell us what to do and we get to tell you how you've broken the rules (cited by Darkmoon in a previous reply).

Just learn from your mistake.

...and feel free to strangle away - it's not going to do you any bit of good around here.

Darkmoon

Seriously, you come in, say homophobic things (because you're a homophobe) and then get mad at us when we point it out and tell you're violating the rules. Yes, we're the bad guys here.

*rolleyes*

Amber Williams

And thus lo and behold, on the twenty third day the clouds parted as the cherubic trumpets sounded and Amber stepped forward from her enclave of Nyquil and Neocitrin, awash in ego and a desire to speak in the third person.  And from one of her seven mouths Amber spoketh these following words.

LET IT BE KNOWN, that the world of DMFA...is not our world.  Shocking I know. This revelation alone may crush and shatter the masses.  But it is true.  It is a fantasy world, a world inhabited by an assortment of mythical creatures.  A world where the fae can snap their fingers and shatter mountains.  Where creatures that live for thousands of years mingle and perhaps even have children with individuals who may only live for a hundred. Where the undead literally walk amongst the living powered by magic.  And so, it is with this knowledge I shall reveal to you the fact that for the vast majority of the DMFA world...homosexuality in it is not really that big of a deal to the majority of the population.  Yes, there are certainly some areas where it is considered more of an iffy thing...primarily in very being heavy corners of the globe.  But for the great and overwhelming majority, orientation is not really that big an issue. 

LET IT BE KNOWN, that the creator of DMFA...a snarglebeast of about 34 years of age at this point...is an individual who is also fairly pro-LGTB.  And so if people are a bit puckered about the possible risk of there ever being mention of such non-hetero normative things in the comic and moreso of them being shown in a normal or positive light...I highly encourage ya'll to tuck and roll off Mr. Bones wild ride here and now because I can assure you the ride ain't gonna stop.

And finally, LET IT BE KNOWN...that while I aim to be a tolerant person in regards to anyone's opinions regardless of if I agree or vehemently disagree...what matters more than the opinion is how the person presenting the opinion holds themselves. Like the metaphor of a salesman selling an ice machine to an eskimo...whenever one has a stance or opinion they are a representative of that opinion and are ultimately responsible for selling it to they audience.  And trying to claim 'brutally honest' is a poor man's excuse to make up for the fact they are just really awful at debating and are too lazy to actually take the time to hone the skill, instead claiming it is 'just how they are'. 

This thread is a tragedy. It seriously needs a greek choir at the start and in the second act and maybe one at the end for when the main character ends up answering some riddles wrong and gets run over by Helios' chariot as some sort of metaphor regarding those who desire to become a martyr get run over by Helios' chariot because they didn't get out of the way.  Which I'm sure is coming around the bend like all these things do. Which is really the most tragic thing of them all in how remarkably formulaic this always plays out.  Much in the same way as the kid who thinks they are the first one to ever come up with the sneaky idea of moving their veggies around the plate to make it look like they have less of them...people always seem to think they are the first to bust things wide open with shocking opinions and making waves when really the whole thing is just cookie cutter.  Like really. No one's opinions are going to change from this whole escapade.  No one here is suddenly going to go "why golly gee you're right!" much like I highly doubt the person who started this is going to suddenly turn about and change their stance.  So why continue this charade? Surprise me, part ways and let this end before act three with Helios chariot comes in. 

But no...last words likely need to be attempted.  Martyrdom must be achieved.  The perfect response must be formulated in the mindset that 'yes yes. Truly once I make this post, I will have radicallly BUSTED THIS DOOR WIDE OPEN and everyone will marvel'.  The dance. The tragedy. The choir. It continues.

And so it goes. 

Dishonored

*grabs a toga and begins to sing*

Kenik

Quote from: Sprocketsdance on February 22, 2017, 05:53:02 PM
Also when the hell did I demand control?

Quote from: Kenik on February 21, 2017, 04:11:41 PM
You can make a thread for discussing this polarizing stuff with me.

You said this after we told you to move the topic of your disgust for normal human activity to a separate thread. By you trying to tell us to make a special thread for your own special interests sounds a lot like you trying to control the situation. Again, you don't get to tell us what to do and we get to tell you how you've broken the rules (cited by Darkmoon in a previous reply).

Just learn from your mistake.

...and feel free to strangle away - it's not going to do you any bit of good around here.

That does seem to be the primary point of contention at this point. But you seem to have read it backwards.
I was openly putting the choice to keep this argument going in your hands.
And staking it on my word of honor, that if you took either of those options that I would do exactly as I said.
I did this for distrust of my own self control. While also understanding you never needed to take either option.
If you want this situation entirely quiet, all we have to do is agree to drop it.

But you wanna talk about the rules? Reread this discussion with Rule X in mind. If you wanted me to calm down a one on one is the best option. Because it's the best option, no matter who you're talking to.
As for what I've been accused of:
Rule 1: I'm sorry, not terribly sorry. But I do regret that enough to avoid doing this again.
Rule 2: I didn't come here to pick fights. I voiced discomfort with certain characters and how they're treated. It would have been dropped in the first discussion if you let it die there.
Rule 3: It takes two to tango. I would have preferred if I were skilled enough to keep this a calm discussion between peers. But if we are being honest, It has taken 16 years of practice to get as almost mediocre as I am. It doesn't look like I'll ever be truly eloquent, but we didn't sail the seas because we decided the water was too deep.

I don't know any of you people, I'd like to. If for no other reason than I feel it's healthiest to regularly deal with people who completely disagree with you.
You are welcome to believe homosexuality is okay. I never took that away, I never tried to take that away. I just openly disagree, if that bothers you then you are welcome to discuss it in private. Or more likely quietly sneer at me, people seem fond of that option.

One note though: Darkmoon if you had such a personal stake in this PERHAPS YOU SHOULD HAVE BENCHED YOURSELF. Nothing you had to say did ANYTHING to improve the situation. If you had I dunno, let one of the people with a more neutral tone handle this, it would probably have resolved more calmly and concisely.
You have personal reasons for disliking my opinions; that's fine. But bear in mind I have personal reasons for disliking yours. Neither of us can claim to be more reasonable, or more correct. My dislike of your kind is cemented in the attempt made on my life by your ilk. My attempts at diplomacy are attempts to broaden horizons of all involved.
You are only my enemy because you've decided to be.

I like Fey.

Tony

My dude, it doesn't matter how eloquent your replies are, or how intelligent and above it all you THINK you sound, nothing quite tops being so out of touch that you go out of your way to tell one of the owners of the forum how to behave.

Puyon

I am 100% certain you did not read Amber's response and that's a shame because it's the best thing I have ever read and will ever read. The irony of this whole thing is perfect. I look forward to seeing the Grand Mab's prophecy fulfill itself.
...By Puyon

Darkmoon

Okay, let me tell you how this works in words small enough you can understand:

1) you come on to a forum with a large furry contingent. Your feelings for certain types of people being what they are you FAIL to read the god damned room and post how you hate gay people (dislike, find them icky, are secretly aroused by them, whatever). In case you didn't realize it, there are a fair number of LGBT people in the furry community and, even if you didn't realize that, every single one of the comic here has some kind of LGBT friendly content in it (even if none of us make a big deal of it).

Strike 1

2) you then proceed to bitch about how everyone is making a big deal about the thing YOU EXPLICITLY brought up. There's making a mistake then there's being a fucking troll. Plus, even after FOUR mods told you to pipe down, you KEPT at it.

Strike 2

3) you tried to tell me how to act on my forum (which is yet another rule you've broken). This is not a democracy but s straight up tyrannical dictatorship, and what I say goes. While we prize free speech here we ask that you either be funny or respectful with your opinions. You were neither.

Strike 3

Now we get to put my tyranny to the test. Too bad, so sad, GTFO.

Amber Williams

AND SO IT WAS WRITTEN.

AND SO ANOTHER SPEEDBUMP FOR HELIOS WAS MADE.

BRING FORTH THE GREEK CHOIR FOR THE CLOSING ACT.

Sprocketsdance

Merlin