2016/11/04 [DMFA #1707] - Cinema Show

Started by Tapewolf, November 04, 2016, 05:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Home from work our Juliet clears her morning meal
She dabs her skin with pretty smells, concealing to appeal.
I will make my bed, she said, but turned to go
Can she be late for her cinema show?

Romeo locks his basement flat and scurries up the stair.
With head held high and floral tie, a weekend millionaire.
I will make my bed with her tonight, he cries.
Can he fail armed with his chocolate surprise?

--Cinema Show, Genesis

Hopefully her date with Mr. Lynx didn't end up like her date with Jakob, which was a little fraught.
And before Merlin starts sulking about Illiath being straight, she's probably bi.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Merlin

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 04, 2016, 05:11:37 AM
And before Merlin starts sulking about Illiath being straight, she's probably bi.

I'm still mad about the Addams Family musical! Such catchy tunes, such rubbish story

Illie should look into reality TV, people get so mad watching Dr Phil

Tapewolf

Incidentally, is it normal, when someone ships one of your characters, to switch into Father Mode and start tut-tutting about their choice of date?

Merlin

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 04, 2016, 05:28:25 AM
Incidentally, is it normal, when someone ships one of your characters, to switch into Father Mode and start tut-tutting about their choice of date?

It's OK she's a big girl now she has to make her own mistakes

Puyon

Quote from: Merlin on November 04, 2016, 05:20:44 AM
I'm still mad about the Addams Family musical! Such catchy tunes, such rubbish story

Aww. I liked it. That is to say, I liked the heavily revised version they did after the show went off broadway and then went on tour. Fixes most everything that was wrong with it which, in the 2010 version, a lot of things were wrong with it. Music is always good though yes. It was really fun to play when my school put it on...

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 04, 2016, 05:28:25 AM

From my experience... yes. A pang of disapproval. Shaking your head, thinking about how your child-- I mean character!!! ...can do so much better.
...By Puyon

Tilendor

So I totally missed that Illiath was female.... Maybe I'm just slow.

However, props to Amber for making armor that has realism and not just silly eye candy.

Amber Williams

Bisexuals. Bisexuals for everyone! HAHAHAHAHAHA~

Actually in retrospect I probably should have checked where Illiath sits on the old Kinsey scale. :U
*sits back and basks in all the Dan/Illiath shipping that has begun*  :B

Cassi-kun

I'm just laughing at the date. Love it when Cubi come up with creative ideas to feed their affiliations.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Puyon

Quote from: Amber Williams on November 04, 2016, 12:25:08 PM
Actually in retrospect I probably should have checked where Illiath sits on the old Kinsey scale. :U
*sits back and basks in all the Dan/Illiath shipping that has begun*  :B

Don't know if I can see it as a romantic ship... but Dan/Illiath is definitely my new...

Hrmph. Normally I'm good at coming up with ship names but I'm drawing a blank on this one...
...By Puyon

Dishonored

Quote from: Puyon on November 04, 2016, 02:42:35 PM
Hrmph. Normally I'm good at coming up with ship names but I'm drawing a blank on this one...

Daniath? Illidan? Punch and Danny?
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Lying Foo

...am I the only one who thought that was a woman in the last two panels?
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Lying Foo on November 04, 2016, 06:18:55 PM

I did not, but now that I see it I refuse to believe otherwise :D

Merlin

Quote from: Puyon on November 04, 2016, 09:45:07 AM
Aww. I liked it. That is to say, I liked the heavily revised version they did after the show went off broadway and then went on tour. Fixes most everything that was wrong with it which, in the 2010 version, a lot of things were wrong with it. Music is always good though yes. It was really fun to play when my school put it on...

Ooh clearly I should check that version...

Amber Williams

Androgeny! Androgeny for everyone! AHAHAHAHAHAHAH~

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tilendor on November 04, 2016, 11:39:35 AM
So I totally missed that Illiath was female.... Maybe I'm just slow.

Contrary to popular belief, I do have female characters in my stories as well as male ones...
That said, you're not the first to say this.  It seems likely that Taun clan members are fairly androgynous - recall that Jeremiah was thought to be female, and Quill isn't that well-endowed either.

However, props to Amber for making armor that has realism and not just silly eye candy.

Indeed.  The 'boob armour' thing has recently become a pet peeve of mine and I'm trying to ensure that Illie doesn't have that in future appearances.

Anri

You know, now I am imagining that cubi from Taun's clan would feel very at home in internet cafes that have online gaming.  Enough rage to feed twenty of them at once! (Though I'm sure the power of a source has nothing to do with how many can feed)

katasev

Quote from: Anri on November 04, 2016, 08:41:13 PM
You know, now I am imagining that cubi from Taun's clan would feel very at home in internet cafes that have online gaming.  Enough rage to feed twenty of them at once! (Though I'm sure the power of a source has nothing to do with how many can feed)

That's a really interesting thing to ponder actually; we know they have some level of gaming tech (Wildy plays video games and she and Dan have gone DDR clubbing before) and also the internet (which Mink was forbidden from using for his clan leader report) but do they have online multiplayer yet? I know you said gamer cafe, where folks would be physically gathered, but could cubi feel and feed off of emotions that are being transmitted remotely? Or do they have to be physically present in order to snack on screaming sniper victims? Could someone from Jin's clan run around as an MMO cleric, or the Kish'ta clan use Let's Plays of Five Nights at Freddy's as a quick snack?

Puyon

Eheh... heh... I've thought a little on how to use gaming to the advantage of emotional affinity. I'm fairly certain you can't absorb emotions from other players online, via MMO or through LPs, if only because watching a scary movie doesn't give off emotions (stated by Abel more or less here: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1249.php), so its best to be present when gamers are doing their gaming thing.

For example, one of my 'Cubi OCs, Ruse Manil, is from a clan with an affinity for Frustration... Ruse owns a hobby shop and hosts fighting game tournaments weekly and feeds off of the frustration of the tournament participants. Of course you might get the occasional Rage player, the kind who gets aggressive to their controller and starts yelling and cursing... usually these types of players are kicked and banned quickly because it usually ends in property damage and scaring off other potential players. Also Ruse doesn't really like Rage... it's a bit too strong.

I guess if you want to cultivate anger or rage with technology, you might want to go with something that isn't so... hands-on or interactive? The Rom-Com plan is especially good because there's a good chance there's other people in the theater getting super angry and idiot characters and then you can feeed off of them too.

Another way I'd guess to get Rage by taking advantage of technology? Hang around Programmers, my god, I've never seen anyone get angrier at a computer screen than a person who realized they made a simple mistake while coding.
...By Puyon

Aurawyn

Wait.. waiiit.. Blondie is a girl??  :mowdizzy

I'm so very observant arent I...

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Anri on November 04, 2016, 08:41:13 PM
One of my Taun Cubi goes to internet cafes and uses her thought reading to find out what sites people are on, and troll them. She keeps a tab open with a comedy website just as an alibi if she starts laughing.

Merlin

Quote from: Puyon on November 05, 2016, 12:33:33 AM
Another way I'd guess to get Rage by taking advantage of technology? Hang around Programmers, my god, I've never seen anyone get angrier at a computer screen than a person who realized they made a simple mistake while coding.

lolyep, we spent a month tracking defects that caused full crashes... all were caused by Some Genius forgetting to put semicolons on the end of statements.... hidden all over the place too :B not even the worst or most recent example, but such rage, wow

edit: naturally when I updated my site last night I DID THE EXACT SAME THING, broke the whole thing by missing a semicolon, gdi programming

MSpears

I'm fairly certain you can't absorb emotions from other players online, via MMO or through LPs, if only because watching a scary movie doesn't give off emotions, so its best to be present when gamers are doing their gaming thing.

No, but you can get a job at an internet cafe.  We have one local one that has a juice bar in the front of the store (they don't allow even a covered drink near the computers due to risk of spillage.)  For someone like Illiath, working the juice bar and soaking up all the anger would be an ideal job.

As for the second thing I've quoted above?  The source of the rage depends on if you're fixing someone else's work or not, as Merlin states.  At my last programming job, there was one guy who quit to take another job all sneaky-like; when we went through his programming library, we found out that instead of designing his programs to ask for a date parameter (well, actually, a semester parameter, such as 998 (for fall semester 1999), he had hard-coded them.  I suppose it's one way of ensuring job security, making sure the client has to come back to you every semester to have a program updated.  Still, it was the source of a lot of rage for the guys that had to fix them.

And even if you're working on your own programs, when you're talking about thousands of lines of code, it's always possible to spend days tracking down a single missed semicolon (or a missed period; these were COBOL programs, and almost every line had to end with a period.)  It is definitely the source of much stress.  So is spending all day writing a program to generate a report that the client didn't know they needed, until the day AFTER they needed it (thus making it a rush job)... and when you get done, they tell you "it's just what we asked for, but not what we want."  (*Cue rage noises*)

Merlin

Quote from: MSpears on November 06, 2016, 08:34:20 PM
And even if you're working on your own programs, when you're talking about thousands of lines of code, it's always possible to spend days tracking down a single missed semicolon (or a missed period; these were COBOL programs, and almost every line had to end with a period.)  It is definitely the source of much stress.  So is spending all day writing a program to generate a report that the client didn't know they needed, until the day AFTER they needed it (thus making it a rush job)... and when you get done, they tell you "it's just what we asked for, but not what we want."  (*Cue rage noises*)

And then you find out that everything was coded just fine, the reason it's not in production is somebody copied across the wrong version of the source code to prod :B
there's always something else too lol

Tapewolf

There is a reason 'Heads You Lose' got quite nasty in chapter 6.  Things were not going well at work.
"If I can't be happy, I don't see why my readers should..."

PalmettoPaladin

I'm getting this weird feeling that Taun wants Dan to date Illiath, to cement a clan alliance between Cyra and Taun.  Dan will probably be freaking out in his head about what to tell his other girlfriend.   :mowwink

Tapewolf

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 07, 2016, 09:24:36 AM
I'm getting this weird feeling that Taun wants Dan to date Illiath, to cement a clan alliance between Cyra and Taun.  Dan will probably be freaking out in his head about what to tell his other girlfriend.   :mowwink

She might not care that much.  'Cubi are known to be a bit loose, and Matilda comes from a polygamous background anyway, AFAIK.

As for Dan pairing with a Taun, we don't know enough about the way clan leader power is divvied out to tell if the child would be born a Taun or a Cyra.  In any case, the last time someone allied with Cyra, they were exterminated - Taun strikes me as being a bit too canny for something that direct.  Besides, Dan is still rather an unknown quantity.

PalmettoPaladin

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 07, 2016, 09:44:18 AM
Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 07, 2016, 09:24:36 AM

She might not care that much.  'Cubi are known to be a bit loose, and Matilda comes from a polygamous background anyway, AFAIK.

As for Dan pairing with a Taun, we don't know enough about the way clan leader power is divvied out to tell if the child would be born a Taun or a Cyra.  In any case, the last time someone allied with Cyra, they were exterminated - Taun strikes me as being a bit too canny for something that direct.  Besides, Dan is still rather an unknown quantity.

Okay.   That makes sense I guess. But just curious here, do you see Dan and Illiath actually dating?  And I think Matilda would be glad to be friends with Illiath.  Also why is an image of Dan marrying both Matilda and Illiath popping in my head all of a sudden?

Tapewolf

Quote from: PalmettoPaladin on November 07, 2016, 11:07:49 AM
Okay.   That makes sense I guess. But just curious here, do you see Dan and Illiath actually dating?

Personally, no.  It's not impossible, but for the most part Illiath was written as a slightly dour, badass war-maiden type who makes war, not love.
It would also have to be retconned into her own stories, especially if she did end up with a child.

MSpears

Quote from: Merlin on November 06, 2016, 11:17:01 PM
And then you find out that everything was coded just fine, the reason it's not in production is somebody copied across the wrong version of the source code to prod :B
there's always something else too lol

We were trusted enough to be able to put our own programs directly into production, so that was never the issue (fortunately).

I think another one of the main reasons for programmer rage is that most of us know the operating system inside and out.  We expect the computer to do what we tell it to do, when we tell it to, and how we tell it to.  And there's a little arrogance in there, too; because we know the operating system so well, we tend to forget that we sometimes do make mistakes.

So, when the computer doesn't do exactly what we tell it to do, we get mad at it... until we look back at the command history and find out that it's all our fault, at which point rage turns to embarrassment.  (I like my humble pie with a hint of cinnamon, thanks.)

Qwex1

Or on the flip side when the computer does exactly what you told to but not what you wanted.
hsrthgelfszz*lo ttsvqxzm*hndfjerlnbcre!