2016/06/08 [DLR 02-04] Getting reattached

Started by MT Hazard, June 08, 2016, 12:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Hmm, I guess he is good enough to reattach a head, hopefully without side effects, you know besides the trauma of having you head cut off, dying and being brought back. Also curious about what he is doing with his other hand.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on June 08, 2016, 12:10:05 PM
Hmm, I guess he is good enough to reattach a head, hopefully without side effects, you know besides the trauma of having you head cut off, dying and being brought back. Also curious about what he is doing with his other hand.

She's lost a significant amount of blood, spinal fluid and so forth.  Reeves is using the water as a substitute, presumably filtering it magically in the process.

As for dying, it's not been long enough for brain damage to set in, and for that matter Reeves may have been doing something to keep her brain alive while he was apparently reading his newspaper.  So it's a bit more emergency surgery than a resurrection per se.

Even so, she's in a critical condition and won't exactly be showing up for work in the morning.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

Just as well this is magical healing, in real life even if you reattach a hand within hours of it being severed you can still be looking at months of physiotherapy to get it working properly again. Imagine the nightmare you would be put though if you had to relearn how to use your entire body.

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on June 08, 2016, 06:11:50 PM
Just as well this is magical healing, in real life even if you reattach a hand within hours of it being severed you can still be looking at months of physiotherapy to get it working properly again. Imagine the nightmare you would be put though if you had to relearn how to use your entire body.

Quite.  This is likely to take months to recover from... but it's better than being dead.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: MT Hazard on June 08, 2016, 06:11:50 PM

Bear in mind, much of this is a result of not getting the connections perfect; generally speaking, the body can survive a remarkable amount of trauma and still manage to recover, mostly, and surgeons tend to take advantage of this when doing recoveries like this; mostly right and let the body do the heavy work. Obviously, if you're using magic, you can get the connections closer - and the closer you can get it when healing things, the less healing work you need to do. Hence concentration on getting it -right-, rather than -close enough-.

At least, that's my view. And yes, it'll still be a shock, and there will be damage - if nothing else, the brain has been without oxygen for a minute or so at this point, and that's enough to be a bit of a problem; while you can hold your breath for anywhere up to 23 minutes (in the extreme case of some deep free-divers), your brain is still getting blood flow during that time. I would guess that there would be a little memory loss, and some shock, and PTSD, etc etc. She's probably going to be in a quivering heap, at times, for some time. :-( I hope she has someone to hold her when she needs it.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

MT Hazard

Well, at least she won't have any trouble calling in sick. For some managers you have to turn up in person and spew blood on them before they believed you were too ill to work.