07/19/09 [DMFA #1022] - Education is Boring.

Started by OminousShadow, July 19, 2009, 12:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OminousShadow

Heh. I love how those 3 can annoy Abel all at the same time.
97% of teens would cry if they saw Robert Pattinson (Edward Cullen from Twilight) standing on top of a skyscraper, about to jump. If you're one of the 3% who would sit there eating popcorn screaming "DO A FLIP, YOU SPARKLY (I am not smart enough to use polite words)!" then copy and paste.

JackTheCubiWolf

Yes, we want the puppets.

Edit: Beat By one minute. Can someone combine them?
I'm back, and tired.

Corgatha Taldorthar

The expression on Dan's face in the last panel is positively frightening.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

JackTheCubiWolf

You beat me by a minute. Oh well. They get on his nerves so well.
I'm back, and tired.

Jairus

Jyrras would be the one taking notes. And I don't mean because he's a nerd: it's because he's interested in researching magic and understanding it. This is an excellent opportunity for him to learn about a new topic, maybe even learn some stuff about Deebs or how to summon his own Warp-Aci. Also, I really like Jy's pose in that last panel for some reason. I just like how he's so engrossed in this topic.

A good haiku.
But Dan is a poor student.
Poor Teacher Abel.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Garsemor

Strangely, whenever both Dan and Fi are boared, they have a big resamblance. just look at page 959.

Nobody

I have a whole new sympathy for all my college professors now; though, I have to say, Warp-Aci is a class I would love to be a part of.  Where can I sign up?

Quote from: Garsemor on July 19, 2009, 12:16:42 AM
Strangely, whenever both Dan and Fi are boared, they have a big resamblance. just look at page 959.

That may have something to do with Fi belonging to Dan/being his summon now; though, if past comics are any indication, they may simply have similar personalities.

Baal Hadad

Who's reminded here of when Abel first met Dan and taught him about cubi history?

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Nobody

Which side do you think Dan get's his love of puppets from anyway?  Mom or dads?

Jairus

Quote from: Nobody on July 19, 2009, 01:47:28 AM
Which side do you think Dan get's his love of puppets from anyway?  Mom or dads?
Mom's side, I'd say. Cubi tend to be that weird.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Zedd

Well I do wonder how long Abel can hold out till he reaches his boiling point..Then again he looks more ticked off enough already

Denji

Haikus are easy.
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator.

Aside from first real post outside of introductions, I thought Jyrras was sitting on his tail in the the last panel and I was going 'Oh gheez I wonder if that's painful' and now I just realized it was the angle of my laptop screen. *fail*

Tapewolf

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on July 19, 2009, 12:04:35 AM
The expression on Dan's face in the last panel is positively frightening.

Indeed.  So much for his fresh start with Abel.  Though at the end of the day he does seem to have switched from distrusting him to winding him up.

I wonder whether this is part of Fa'Lina's plan?  Get Abel used to teaching so that he can return to SAIA as a staff member instead of a sort of wastrel student?

In Dan's defence, there is probably a lot of information being thrown at him at once, whereas a properly-structured course would layer it.  That and if it's anything like our sciences there's going to be a lot of prerequisite theory that Dan doesn't yet know.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 19, 2009, 05:27:40 AM
In Dan's defence, there is probably a lot of information being thrown at him at once, whereas a properly-structured course would layer it.  That and if it's anything like our sciences there's going to be a lot of prerequisite theory that Dan doesn't yet know.

Doesn't most Cubi have a short attention span anyway?

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on July 19, 2009, 05:46:59 AM

I considered that, but I'd expect Abel to have taken that into account.  He might just be in a bad mood for some reason, but conceivably the first few semesters at SAIA include ways of improving concentration (which Dan obviously wouldn't have done).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Madmann135

Dan and Fi are twins separated by dimensions and such.
I don't think that Fi's personality changed much since Dan became his master.  Actually before Dan and After Dan Fi just appeared to loosen up.

Though Fi asking to look at Jyrras's notes is what really make this one a keeper.  I would have guessed Dan would ask for the notes but Dan went for the puppets.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jairus on July 19, 2009, 12:09:38 AM
A good haiku.
Poor Teacher Abel.

Unlike that haiku
You have just four syllables
in your first line there

Technically one
should have mention of seasons
in a haiku, too.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ghostwish

They are learning! They've learned that annoying Abel is hilariously good fun!

Darkdragon

Jyrras would also be the type of person to carry a notebook and a pen to take notes with on a normal day.  :3

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 19, 2009, 07:53:35 AM
Quote from: Jairus on July 19, 2009, 12:09:38 AM
A good haiku.
Poor Teacher Abel.

Unlike that haiku
You have just four syllables
in your first line there

Technically one
in a haiku, too.

However, "haiku"
has three morae (syllables)
when in Japanese.

A haiku without
a kigo (season word) is
known as a Senryū:tmyk

Sofox

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 19, 2009, 05:27:40 AM

I saw it more as an expression of the bane of any fantasy based story taking place in another universe: buckets of magical theory, backstory, species and history to convey to the reader without them getting bored and still enjoying the story.
Some webcomics fall into this trap, overloading the reader with explanation or necessary information on the universe starting with the second page and going on till the fifth in the form of a dialogue or caption boxes.
Tales of the Questor largely avoids this by having a clear reason why the exposition is taking place; by having the universe being thought out and interesting in and of itself in the first place; and still keeping a focus on the character who are listening (I loved the part where Quentyn gets a long explanation about a magical sword and then just yells out "but how do I USE it?", something I was focused on too).
Amber has a different style, that which she doesn't explain in non comic forms such as forum posts or Demonology 101, she delivers through casual conversation and just the regular happenings of the plot. When exposition is required, it is delivered in short, sharp bursts interspersed with jokes and antics, or with a character having a bored or funny reaction to it, and possibly also a self reference over the "joy" of having these nice explanations ("gratuitous economics lecture").
It's a good strategy in my opinion. I mean, we here are hardcore fans (mostly) so we largely like discussing finicky plot point and universe elements in forum posts.
But for other casual and regular readers, they just want to enjoy the comic, and not as many of them enjoy long winding exposition on theory and history that doesn't exist in the real world.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkdragon on July 19, 2009, 09:34:03 AM
However, "haiku"
has three morae (syllables)
when in Japanese.

Really? How are the three broken up, then?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Quote from: Turnsky on July 19, 2009, 05:46:59 AM

You know th-Oh look a kitty...What was we talking about again?

icarus

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Ted Schiller

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 19, 2009, 07:53:35 AM
(snip)

Technically one
in a haiku, too.

Salting the wounds, Dan
and Fi make Abel's life much
more miserable.

Like that?   :3

With regards,
Ted

Ted Schiller

Quote from: JackTheCubiFerret on July 19, 2009, 12:07:15 AM
That's the problem of dealing with Beings or those who were raised as Beings.  On the one hand, they are mature at such an early age.  On the other hand, one can only learn so much in twenty-some years.

With regards,
Ted

Ghostwish

Quote from: Ted Schiller on July 19, 2009, 12:24:34 PM
Quote from: JackTheCubiFerret on July 19, 2009, 12:07:15 AM
That's the problem of dealing with Beings or those who were raised as Beings.  On the one hand, they are mature at such an early age.  On the other hand, one can only learn so much in twenty-some years.

With regards,
Ted

Well, on the flip side, how the heck is Abel mature? He's got the maturity of an angsty teen, really.

Nyomi

It might just be me, but something tells me Dan would probably learn it better the hard way.  :B

Lego3400

I hope amber gets her arrow keys fixed soon >.>

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Nyomi on July 19, 2009, 02:54:28 PM
It might just be me, but something tells me Dan would probably learn it better the hard way.  :B
With Dan, learning through pain is not the hard way.  :)  But, yeah, he would learn better that way.

With regards,
Ted