9/15/07 AS #98 Plan B always come out messy

Started by Zedd, September 15, 2007, 04:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castle Pokemetroid

Quote from: superluser on October 10, 2102, 02:01:15 AM
I certainly wasn't aware of it.  Maybe this means that all `cubi can teleport?  Quick!  Before she gets away, let's pin Amber down and force her to reveal more secrets!

Cubi can teleport as well? Dang, they have everything, don't they?

Naldru

Quote from: superluser on September 15, 2007, 08:41:15 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 15, 2007, 08:31:49 PMOr is this old news?
I certainly wasn't aware of it.  Maybe this means that all `cubi can teleport?  Quick!  Before she gets away, let's pin Amber down and force her to reveal more secrets!
Somehow, I suspect that pinning Amber down would be difficult.

However, we do know that there are some limitations on cubi teleporting.  Otherwise, Abel would have won the race.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Castle Pokemetroid

Quote from: Naldru on February 24, 2166, 05:12:21 AM
Somehow, I suspect that pinning Amber down would be difficult.

Not unless you get something as big as a castle to pin her with. Those things are heavy.

techmaster-glitch

I would like to re-examine Amber's post, as several people are assuming/implying something I think might be incorrect.

You don't need a warp-aci to be able to teleport.  Warp-Aci at their best are simply novelty ways to show off as they do your teleporting and simple errands for you.

No where in there do I see anything that says that this is limited to only Cubi. I think that any creature, given the right circumstances, can learn how to teleport.
To that same token, it slightly irks me how most people thing only Cubi can summon Warp-Aci. As it has been explained, Warp-Aci are composed of dark energy, and the spell to summon them leans a little the same way. Cubi, as a race, can be prone to any type of magic (with a few spells from oter types on the side), yet they seem to be seen as the only ones with the dark magic to summon. What about, for example, Demons? They are all about dark magic, and little else. I actually imagine there are more Demons teleporting around with Warp-Aci than Cubi.

Amber Williams

Techmaster is correct.  Teleporting isn't limited to Cubi.  Really any creature or being with enough magic and know-how could be able to teleport.  Or summon a warp-aci.  The only reason they are currently so common around Cubi is that they are the current trendy thing to have.

Kenji

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 15, 2007, 10:37:51 PM
Techmaster is correct.  Teleporting isn't limited to Cubi.  Really any creature or being with enough magic and know-how could be able to teleport.  Or summon a warp-aci.  The only reason they are currently so common around Cubi is that they are the current trendy thing to have.

So are they the slim new model that fits in your pocket?

pseudocompulsion

I just figured that a Cubi skilled enough to convincingly portray a being for 2 1/2 decades would have the magical skills necessary to teleport both himself and whoever else he felt like taking along.

As far as Warp Aci and Cubi are concerned, if Warp Aci are really just a kind of flashy novelty, is it really all that surprising that Cubi would be into them?  From what we know about Cubi temperament, that seems right up their collective alley.

Just to, y'know, stereotype an entire race.

EDIT: AAAND Amber comes along and confirms everything I was saying as I was saying it.

candide

Aaaanyway, back to the topic at hand:  the comic.  ;)

I've suspected for a while now, that our tendency to judge Aniz' actions by our own standards (he hit May => he's abusing his spouse; killing Hennya == self-defense...or not) just isn't accurate.  One thing that Amber established is that 'cubi are pretty nasty pieces of work.*

So, Aniz tossing May around probably meant little from his perspective, no more than throwing a pillow at someone would mean to us.  Consider, too, that today's comic confirms that Aniz killed Hennya by mistake, by losing his temper and reacting without thinking.**  Frankly, I shudder to think what a 'cubi could do with intent.   :eek  :grave

So, given what I believe 'cubi could do, I think Aniz' behavior so far suggests that he had no intention of killing anyone.  Just frighten the girls into irrelevance, then make his exit, Abel in tow, on their way to SAIA.  Which he's rather screwed up royally at this point.

My bet is he hits Abel with a stun spell and heads off to SAIA post-haste.

*(Dan didn't have nightmares for no reason after finding out that he was an incubus, y'know.)
**(I know what reacting without thinking has done to me. :(  No end of damage, that's what.)

pseudocompulsion

Madmann135

... ... ANIZ... MUST... DIE!!!!!

My plans tend to have backup plans this is generally my basic tear of plans.

Plan A - Simple plan to get the job done.
Plan B - Cause as much confusion while having your team mates complete the objective.
Plan C - Improvise on plan A and/or B.
Plan D - Run away.
Plan E - Eat pizza. (everyone has a plan like that, see)
Plan F - shoot everything that moves
Plan G - Blow the whole place to the next planet and back.
Plan H - Goof off/fall asleep

I know all to well how loosing your temper can lead to bad things.  I almost 'put a notch on my gun' after loosing my temper one time years ago.  (true story that you Will never hear of)

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Zorro

multani82

I thought plan B was to sit down and eat muffins?!  :erk

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 15, 2007, 10:37:51 PM

Awesome.  I had a hunch that would be the case... (and I'm glad I won't have to rethink that chapter :P).  Even if you can teleport, I imagine you'd probably want them for interplanar travel since that seems to be how they are summoned.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 15, 2007, 08:31:49 PM
Tapewolf's probably going to like that little piece of information ;)

Or is this old news?

Old news. But nice to have it written down in b&w. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sunblink

I actually don't think that Aniz's relationship with Fa'Lina is a pleasant one, to be honest. I'm starting to suspect that he was hoping to "educate" Abel to be a good little soul-stealing bloodthirsty Incubus without any interference from the SAIA. He could've felt that Fa'Lina and SAIA's influence would destroy any chances of him making Abel a shining example of bloodlust, and wanted to take Abel away before they could whisk him away to the Academy after being informed of his newly-manifested head-wings. As for who would inform SAIA, maybe Kria?

But damn. I wasn't really expecting for Aniz to start screaming at Hennya's corpse. Plus what he said only seems to exacerbate the situation. :< Someone really needs a good impaling at this point...

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Naldru

Could it be that even though Hennya needs to pull herself together, she isn't dead yet, and that her type of mythos is able to survive even though everything has fallen to pieces?  That would explain Aniz yelling at her.

However, I think that it is fair to say that Aniz is really upset at this point, and he is not exactly acting rationally.

Should be interesting few weeks.  I will definitely tune in this furry web site same furry time next furry week.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 16, 2007, 10:11:31 AM
I actually don't think that Aniz's relationship with Fa'Lina is a pleasant one, to be honest. I'm starting to suspect that he was hoping to "educate" Abel to be a good little soul-stealing bloodthirsty Incubus without any interference from the SAIA.
He could've felt that Fa'Lina and SAIA's influence would destroy any chances of him making Abel a shining example of bloodlust,

Personally I'm not sure that would wash.  Firstly, SAIA has a tendency to teach evil things such as rape, torture, murder, soul-stealing and worse, soul-eating.  Remember the HE class!

You seem to have a rather optimistic view of Fa'Lina's morality.  From what I've seen so far, she thinks all of this nasty stuff is a good laugh for the most part, although she apparently draws the line at executing children.

On the other hand, she is intelligent enough to realise that not everyone will go for this, or indeed could go for this.  Like humans can be allergic to various kinds of food, it is more than likely that there are 'Cubi who cannot easily metabolise pain.  And that's without considering moral objections, which I suspect would be something that must be taken into account, like vegetarianism for us.
Now it might be that 300 years there will grind down your objections, although Abel still seems to have come through it with a relatively Being-like set of morals.

What I'm saying is that SAIA's influence is more likely to turn him into a bad little 'Cubi than pretending to be an adventurer and keeping him in the dark about his true nature is. 

Aleolus

Who would have guessed that Aniz was swearing because he hadn't wanted to kill anyone?  Someone call a Cleric!  We need a Resurrection spell, post haste!

Mock AV

I'm...... gravely disappointed of the inconsistency that was just permited. (A character as intelligent as Aniz screws up when he almost certainly should have had a plan in case some stupid person decided to attack him.)

But, I guess even good writers can't avoid inconsistencies all the time...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 16, 2007, 11:53:25 AM
You seem to have a rather optimistic view of Fa'Lina's morality.  From what I've seen so far, she thinks all of this nasty stuff is a good laugh for the most part, although she apparently draws the line at executing children.

On the other hand, she is intelligent enough to realise that not everyone will go for this, or indeed could go for this.  Like humans can be allergic to various kinds of food, it is more than likely that there are 'Cubi who cannot easily metabolise pain.  And that's without considering moral objections, which I suspect would be something that must be taken into account, like vegetarianism for us.

These two taken together suggest to me that she might well think that murdering children is, indeed, a good laugh - but she's intelligent enough to know where it likely will lead to if she let Destania start doing that in class.

Which is -very- different to -personally- objecting.

And, frankly, we just don't have the details to figure out -why- Fa'Lina objected to Destania's suggestions. :-/

TheDXM

Aniz didn't plan this particular event. It was sprung on him when Abel's head wings popped up.

Aniz's real plan probably involved only HIM and Abel one-to-one, and maybe May. Still, I doubt 'the truth' coming up unexpectedly wasn't a part of his plans, nevertheless he couldn't have predicted another person's prescence in the ordeal, especially a creature who could do a great deal of damage to him.

The problem is Aniz planned too much, and eventually stopped worrying about it and focused on his acting. He thought his plot was flawless. He had whatever it was that made him invulnerable to Abel, and his mother emotionally tarnished, and physically unable to do anything to stop him. But no matter how intelligent you are, you can't predict a third party like that unless you're omniscient. Which cubi equals not. Infact, 99% of the time, cubi equals arrogant, which means ignorant.

edit: spelling.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 16, 2007, 11:53:25 AM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 16, 2007, 10:11:31 AM
I actually don't think that Aniz's relationship with Fa'Lina is a pleasant one, to be honest. I'm starting to suspect that he was hoping to "educate" Abel to be a good little soul-stealing bloodthirsty Incubus without any interference from the SAIA.
He could've felt that Fa'Lina and SAIA's influence would destroy any chances of him making Abel a shining example of bloodlust,

Personally I'm not sure that would wash.  Firstly, SAIA has a tendency to teach evil things such as rape, torture, murder, soul-stealing and worse, soul-eating.  Remember the HE class!

Now it might be that 300 years there will grind down your objections, although Abel still seems to have come through it with a relatively Being-like set of morals.

What I'm saying is that SAIA's influence is more likely to turn him into a bad little 'Cubi than pretending to be an adventurer and keeping him in the dark about his true nature is. 

True. Then again, this was simply a random theory, as I really am starting to doubt that Aniz is a representative of SAIA. He just comes across as too ruthless to me to operate as such, but I can't speak for Fa'Lina's judgment. He could've been a former representative of SAIA for all I know, and estranged from it, or still works for it, as people are popularly speculating. Though yes, I see what you mean by SAIA teaching that.

I'm also rather guilty of being sort of optimistic of Fa'Lina's morality, but again, I'm uncertain of the restrictions that are placed in SAIA's education system and where she stands on such matters. Judging by what Destania taught, any borders are probably flimsy at best. So I definitely see where you're coming from.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 16, 2007, 02:16:03 PM
True. Then again, this was simply a random theory, as I really am starting to doubt that Aniz is a representative of SAIA. He just comes across as too ruthless to me to operate as such, but I can't speak for Fa'Lina's judgment.

I must admit I never thought of that.  I pegged him as a student, or even just an ex-student who wants his son to attend the Academy.  In the former case, what he's doing is either a 25-year leave of absence to father a child, or in the latter case, he's simply been in contact with Fa'Lina to sort out his son's application.

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Alondro on September 15, 2007, 05:32:19 PM
*Charline hmphs* You ain't the boss of me!  In fact, I'm going to make sure you live for a really really long time now just to spite you!   >:3

D: Why do they always refuse?!

Anyway, I wonder, could plan B involve some memory erasing perhaps? Probably not, just throwing it out there.

superluser

Quote from: Aleolus on September 16, 2007, 12:33:58 PMSomeone call a Cleric!  We need a Resurrection spell, post haste!

Resurrecting a body that's been sliced isn't always the best idea (warning: blood).

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 16, 2007, 01:38:17 PMThese two taken together suggest to me that she might well think that murdering children is, indeed, a good laugh - but she's intelligent enough to know where it likely will lead to if she let Destania start doing that in class.

I dunno.  She seems to have a thing for babies.  She's adopted two people (one of which wasn't even from the `cubi race), she's rather keen on Pyro having kids, and we know that she disliked the idea of using babies for torture class.  Sounds to me like she's got some psychological hang-ups around kids.

Quote from: The DXM on September 16, 2007, 01:46:52 PMAniz's real plan probably involved only HIM and Abel one-to-one, and maybe May. Still, I doubt 'the truth' coming up unexpectedly wasn't a part of his plans, nevertheless he couldn't have predicted another person's prescence in the ordeal, especially a creature who could do a great deal of damage to him.

I think one of the first things that you think of when planning something is to think about what happens if you get caught.  Like I said, it wouldn't have been difficult at all to send Hennya away so that the family could have a private discussion.

As to whether or not Aniz is working for SAIA, he's clearly expecting to meet Fa'Lina again, and expecting that getting there any later than he already is will result in a worse fate.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on September 16, 2007, 05:23:23 PM
I dunno.  She seems to have a thing for babies.  She's adopted two people (one of which wasn't even from the `cubi race), she's rather keen on Pyro having kids, and we know that she disliked the idea of using babies for torture class.  Sounds to me like she's got some psychological hang-ups around kids.

You make a good point. Nuts. So much for my speculation. ;-]

Naldru

Quote from: Aleolus on September 16, 2007, 12:33:58 PMSomeone call a Cleric!  We need a Resurrection spell, post haste!
Resurrecting a body that's been sliced isn't always the best idea (warning: blood).

The medical staff at SAIA does have experience in gluding people back together again.  Considering how some of the students deal with their emotional issues, this is probably a good thing.

There are also less atruistic reasons for having skills in resurrection and reassembly.  If Fa'lina really wants to crush somebody five times, you have to repair them between crushings.  Otherwise, they won't be able to truly experience the full extent of the pain.  (On issues of this type, I can't see Fa'lina making figurative statements.)

However, you are correct when you state that restoring mangled and severed bodies is something best left to the professionals.  Don't try this at home.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I think Fa'Lina meant that he's said something four different times that she would have crushed him for - presuming that simply existing is enough reason to crush him the first time - had she not been holding back for Aaryanna.

Which is slightly different. I kinda like your interpretation, though. ;-]

superluser

Quote from: Naldru on September 16, 2007, 05:53:46 PMThe medical staff at SAIA does have experience in gluding people back together again.  Considering how some of the students deal with their emotional issues, this is probably a good thing.

I should note that in an earlier draft, I had suggested that they first employ a tailor, but it sounded too sarcastic and mean.

I do completely agree with you

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

TheDXM

I think one of the first things that you think of when planning something is to think about what happens if you get caught.  Like I said, it wouldn't have been difficult at all to send Hennya away so that the family could have a private discussion.

Ofcourse you do, but you can't anticipate EVERYTHING because no one is all knowng. Atleast Aniz isn't.

Aniz didn't anticipate Hennya to be a threat. When you first start thinking about what can go wrong, you go to assess the most immediate threats. At the current time, Aniz really didn't have time to go planning some drawn out affair with an outsider, especially when that outsider has a few aces up her sleeve she isn't showing anybody. I don't care how intelligent, old, or skilled he is. He was thinking about how to get out with his son, and maybe kick a few people in the ego on the way out. But then Hennya severely injured him, the last thing he had expected.

Remember that many Cubi are naturally arrogant, and I doubt Aniz is much of an exception. They don't expect their plans to go wrong because they don't expect much of others.

It isn't bad writing, it's what any vastly aged and depraved jerk would do.