Brotherhood of the Machine (IC) [PG/14]

Started by Ryudo Lee, June 08, 2007, 09:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

"I would also like to know more about them," said Dorcan hopefully.
"What time is it, by the way?" he added, his watch - and internal clock - still being set for Arctic time on Furrae.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arcalane

Exo hums. "Unit's internal clock suggests 7:34pm."

It pauses some more and climbs back out of the van.

"Information on Brotherhood: Limited. Most of Data: Theories. However, Unit will endeavour to explain the Brotherhood."

It pauses as it accesses it's memory.

"Accessing logs... data... playback."

"The Brotherhood has been around for a while. As you may or may not know by now they're a religious cult. They weren't originally - merely another idealistic group promoting the benefits of technology and the wonders it could bestow upon us. In more recent years, when their subtle preaching tactics lost sway over the masses, they resorted to more forceful methods. Now, they supposedly worship a 'Machine God', or something of that manner, known only to outsiders as 'Mother'. Each member is unwavering in their faith - likely brainwashed or controlled into service - and most commit suicide when captured, so interrogation is a field we have learned little from."

It pauses to let everyone take that in. So much easier to recite long speeches when you don't need to pause for breath.

"In addition they constructed large black spires near each city, and even most towns. Northon here may be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to a larger subversion program - a testing ground for controlling a populace if you will. As for magic... not all magic users are killed - in fact, no deaths have been reported. All users were knocked out through various means and taken away by the Brotherhood to unknown locations. 'Mother' has dictated that magic is evil, or somesuch to that effect. This is likely a misinterpretation of the Cataclysm which threw the land into a dark age, following two factions arguing over the proper use of magic. Perhaps the Brotherhood wish to prevent such a catastrophy from happening again. More likely they wish to study it and pervert it for their own methods. I, myself, was a prototype designed to hunt down and incapacitate mages. My predecessors - an earlier series - failed, as the Brotherhood underestimated those mages they sent the prototypes after, though some were intercepted by Rebellion agents."

It pauses again.

"As you can imagine, magic is a powerful tool. It is also a deadly one in the wrong hands. Combine the latest warmachines with magic, and you would have a nigh-unstoppable army. I would be a poor match for a magically enhanced version of myself, for example. One tank would be capable of destroying an entire armoured division by itself with sufficient magicks, though it would no doubt be a massive expenditure to craft such a vehicle and empower it with the necessary wards and enhancements."

It glances about at the group.

"Anything else you'd like to know?"

Tapewolf

"The agent who rescued me believed that the Brotherhood were likely to kill me after questioning," said Dorcan.  "Could he have been mistaken?  Or did he mean that they would... dispose of me... when they found I was not a mage?"

lucas marcone

"I'm just at a loss for words right now. How are we supposed to stop something like that? Religion is a messy muck of rights wrongs and fanatics...If past wars are any indicateor we won't win. It will just be a continual struggle for power." Josh was wrong he had all the words.... He just didn't know how to put them.

Azlan

Morgan had finished his business at the police station and had walked to the hotel he had previously identified.  After securing his room and making the appearance of use within it, he headed over to a local restaurant.

Along the way he spent a fair amount of time waving back to the various townsfolk that greeted him as he walked.  He even managed to help an old lady across the street as it seemed that it was an expected thing to do.  The experience was entirely creepy.  The world was a place largely ruled by self gratifying, ignoble, selfish people, but it was natural.  This place, though having the facade of pleasantness and altruism, was so unnatural it could not be tolerated.

As he was seated in the restaurant, he ordered something basic, but did not eat or drink any of it.  He merely gave the impression that he had come to eat and was working still while at dinner.  He did note that no alcohol appeared on the menu at all, something that he did not particularly care about, but it was worth taking note of.

Exo, I hoped you and the rest of the base received the data from my analysis.  The chips are responsible for this unusual behavior and the controlling signals are coming from the Brotherhood tower.  I am not sure that these chips do not have an "active" state that can be tracked by the Brotherhood systems, but luckily we are safe from influence as long as those of us that are flesh and blood types are not implanted with chips.  I am not in any danger if I am implanted, but I would rather not have that happen. 

My primary concern here is how to stop this, without letting the Brotherhood know it was a Rebellion strike, and to make it appear as a failure so that they do not try this again.

"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Tapewolf

"Do we want them to think it's just a random failure?" asked Dorcan.  "Would it not be better to publicise this?  'Hey, everyone!  The Brotherhood are lobotomising people!  Join the Rebellion and help stop it!'  I would think that making it known would be a better way to force them to rethink their tactics."

"Mind you, we don't know how long the effects are liable to linger once the signal to the chip has been stopped," he mused.  "Indeed, there must be some kind of inertia, or they would instantly lose control each time someone went underground or into a Faraday cage.  People would at least remember 'feeling funny' whenever that happens..."

Azlan

What you speak of is a two edged sword.  It is unlikely we will be able to expose them so publicly that it will hit the news, this is too remote to be able to attract the press.  Additionally, the Brotherhood can exercise better media control and any stories about this will be regulated to the tabloids next to the alien visitations.  If thwarted here directly, they will invariably try again, becoming more insidious, careful and calculating.  If we can make it fail as a fundamental breakdown of the technology or seemingly a triumph of the sentient's spirit, they may be loathe to dump funding into improving a failed design or an alternative measure.  We need to find a way to stop this line of research, instead of forcing it to evolve to the point that we may not be able to counter it. 

A direct link to Rebellion interference could have the result of causing the Brotherhood to step-up their attempts to destroy it endangering countless operations and operatives.  I would suggest thinking carefully before we commit to any course of action.

Kryptic

Baiye blinked as she considered it all.

"It's not really my place to say whether we want to make it known or not... But as for how to override the chips? Well, the things that come to mind are introducing a virus to the broadcast tower, or perhaps maybe we can figure out the frequency and cast our own broadcast - though that would take a lot more effort, in my opinion."

"A lot more effort and a lot more chances for us to get discovered. I'd rather not go with the second option."

Tapewolf

"Do we yet know the nature of the broadcast from the tower?" the doberman asked.
"If it is actually neural data, introducing a virus, or indeed corrupting the signal in any way would be likely fatal.  If it is some kind of program code for the chip's own consumption, we might indeed be able to do that, but it would still be risky to those who have the chip.  If it's pure data, we would need access to the program itself to be able to develop any kind of code injection attack.  Assuming your information technology even works in that manner."

He looked around, unhappy with what he was about to say.
"In any case, we would need to capture someone with the chip to act as an experimental subject."

Prof B Hunnydew

Yea what he said,  We could try jamming the frequency but we don't know what frequency to jam or what that would do to the public?  I mean just cutting the received signal could activitive a self-destruct program in the chip." stated the doctor.  "I hate to do this but Yes we have kidnap a member of the townpeople and put them in a shielded room or something, cut off the unknown frequencies.  I will be onsite and try to save them if the worst happens"

PBH

Boog

Mister finished up the requested desserts (he'd had to get creative with what little there was amongst the rations, so the results were essentially bowls of fruit with a thrown together sweetened cream/sauce over them) and set them down nearby for anyone who wanted any. He understood little of what was going on, with all these frequencies and chips and such. However, the mention of religion caught his attention.
"Those who rely on manipulation of religion to maintain order typically do so via strict fundimentalism. I wonder how much of a blow to their morale we would cause if we could obtain a copy of their scriptures to use against them."

lucas marcone

"Ah thank you Mister, fruit is my favrite food group you know..." Josh said. He felt more comfortable around the golem because he felt a sort of kinship with him through the ether.

Josh was listening to everything. and decided to put his two cents in. "even if we manage to make it look like something we have to think..... would the brotherhood take someone apart to figure out what went wrong? what ends would they go to to find out why an otherwishe successful looking plan suddenly failed as a group of suspicious looking kids rolls in talking about narcotics? frankly i find the brotherhood to be less classy than an ice giant but that's just me."

Paladin Sheppard

In Town

"Copy Exo, sending vidieo for North and East....Now. Moving to plant South and West."

As he began to climb down the fire escape to the alley, Victor spotted a small park from which to set up for the next two shots.

Prof B Hunnydew

The smell of the fruit cobbler by Mister, the doctor perks up and "Hey Hey Josh No hog the cobbler"  and then quickly spoons herself a large portion for herself (some going directly into her mouth bypassing her bowl).   There is still plenty, but the Doctor's bowl looks like her took enough for three helpings

Even after fruit dessert, the Doc was looking worn out, and even a little thinner.   After a little more rest, she was able to start helping to put the dishes and kitchen kit away in the vans.

PBH

Tapewolf

"I'm not hungry, thanks," said Dorcan, and returned to pondering over the implants.

"If we are going to shoot for making it look like a hardware failure, localised electromagnetic pulses are probably the best plan.  Of course, as I believe the doctor said, we'll need to establish that blowing the chip won't kill the victim.
I don't like to suggest this, as it could easily result in an innocent's death, but if Morgan or Victor have an EMP generator, we might be able to try that experiment in the field.   It would be less risky than bringing someone here, just in case the chips can be tracked," he added glumly.

Ryudo Lee

Somewhere in the Brotherhood tower...
A zealot sits in front of several consoles, staring intently at them.  One of them flashes something for a moment, a log is created, and then all is normal again.  The zealot taps away at the keyboard.
"Sir." The zealot announced.
A very important looking Brotherhood figure approached the zealot.
"What is it." He asked in a monotone voice.
"Something pinged the firewall.  Doesn't look directed.  Probably just a scan for open ports." The zealot replied.
"Interesting.  I wonder who would be foolish enough to..." The important guy started.
Another console flashed.  The zealot tapped away on the keyboard.
"Sir, there appear to be external cameras attached to the tower." He said.
"Where did they come from?" The important guy asked.
The zealot was still typing furiously away at the keyboard.
"Unknown sir.  There's no one in the tower vicinity, and it's not our hardware." The zealot replied.
"Destroy them.  Find the source.  Someone's probably lobbing them from the town." The important guy said.
"Yes sir.  Should I notify central?" The zealot asked.
"No.  We can handle this ourselves." The important guy said.
"And the hack attempt sir?" The zealot asked.
"Unimportant next to the direct threat of the cameras.  But notify me immediately if another hack is attempted." The important guy said, and then turned and walked away.

Back outside...
The feed from the cameras suddenly turns to static as the tower itself lets out an electric charge, frying the cameras from the inside out.  The doors to the Tower open, and two zealots and an enforcer stepped out, armed with repeating plasma rifles.  They marched into town.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Paladin Sheppard

In town

"Oh Smeg" Vic said as the two cams blanked  to static in the corner of his vision.

"Exo: bad news. Looks like they detected the cams...Vic spotted the foot patrol. And looks like they are out looking. Looks like a couple of Zealots and an Enforcer. Plasma rifles. I'm holding here and observing unless you want me to pull out.

Azlan

Morgan frowned as he switched to encrypted protocols, Victor, I recommend falling back to this location and laying low.  If anyone saw you, they might ID you, so you may wish to lay low for awhile.

Morgan transmitted a map* along the encrypted channel, it indicated a position opposite of the Brotherhood tower entrance where the group was expected to be.

I recommend circling around this way and reinforcing my position at this location in case there is trouble.  I'm planning on working diplomacy if they run into me, because a fire fight will completely nix my cover here.

*Map obtained from the equivalent of Google Earth, etc.

techmaster-glitch

Jexx led Gerald through the forest for a little while, always having one hand on Gerald, the other with a charged-up handcannon, and Gerald's two AIs trapped in the laptop slung over Jexx's back. Jexx finally broke the silence.
   "Well," Jexx said, "You haven't been giving me any trouble. But remember: you have three strikes here. And two are already down. Your mistakes, as Dorcan put it, were first, possibly leading the Brotherhood to us through the woods, and the second was hacking them, and giving them an opportunity to trace and find us. I've been lenient. I usually give people only one strike, and if you knew my life, you'd understand why. You're on your final strike. But I swear to you, if you make one more wrong move, I will not hesitate to fry you where you stand. You little pets will follow. Understand?" Jexx said, glaring his red-pupiled, irisless eyes over his blacked-out glasses and into Gerald's eyes. There was no bluffing or mercy in Jexx's eyes.

Catffeinated

"Yeah, I understand." Gerald said, apparently somewhat preoccupied scanning the nearby landscape, he paused for a moment and turned to Jexx, "What I don't understand is why you don't trust my AIs, they won't do anything that I wouldn't, they probably wouldn't do some things I would do either..."

techmaster-glitch

Jexx's eyes glinted. "You said one of them was a tactical analyzer, the other a combat AI. And both of them are able to take you over whenever they want. The combat one, in particular, is the one I don't trust. You said he could actually push your physical body to it's very limits, further than what you could normally accomplish. While they may or may not actually decide to pull anything, I've learned the hard way to never. Ever. Take any chances." Jexx explained.

Catffeinated

"Hmm... Smart. Anyways, I'm sorry for messing up like I did, I hope I can help you guys, I've always envied the Rebellion..." He said, smiling

techmaster-glitch

"Envied the Rebellion? I don't know if I share you sentiments there...Also, while words of 'sorry' cut no ice with me, actions might. Since you have been behaving for awhile, I suppose we can actually start on what we came here to do."
   Jexx released Gerald's arm, and took the map and minigram out of his pocket. Unfolding the map and flattening it out, Jexx also quickly checked the minigram for their current location, then shut it off. Lokking over the map, Jexx asked Gerald,
   "Suppose the Brotherhood tracked you through the woods, or traced your little 'stunt' and are now heading for our current campsite. Given the situation, can you see any other areas where we can pack up and move to, if we have to?"

Catffeinated

"Not yet, though if everything was portable, I'd have millions of possible places." he said as his eye slowly scanned the forest, looking for a possible spot.

techmaster-glitch

Jexx raised an eyebrow at Gerald. "Everything we have is portable." Looking back over the map, Jexx picked a spot that looked similar to the clearing that the team was currently camped in, just to the east of the town.
   Pointing to the spot on the map, Jexx said, "We'll scope this place out. If it's good enough, I'll contact Exo and check with him. If he think's it's good, we'll be heading back."
   Then, in what seemed like an act of supreme trust, something Jexx never seemed capable of, he handed the map and the mingram with the GPS activated to Gerald.
   "Meet me there." Jexx said.
   Then Jexx jumped up, grabbed a low-hanging branch of a tree, swung himself up, and climbed, jumped, and swung off. In moments, Gerald couldn't see, hear, or detect him. It seemed that Jexx had just ran off on him.

Catffeinated

"Well, let's see where this'll take me." Gerald said, unfolding the map. His eye darted back and forth to various points on the map.
Hmm... better save the image, he thought, telling the now near useless eye to save the file in his internal hard drive
"Well, I better get going." Gerald sighed, folding the map up and walking off.

techmaster-glitch

Jexx alighted on a sturdy branch, and reached up with a hand to grab another to keep himself steady. Looking through the leaves, completely silent and undetectable, Jexx watched Gerald. yes, Jexx never actually left. He watched Gerald look over the map, then folded it up and started walking. Jexx remained in place for a moment, then slinked off in pursuit.
   Jexx was testing Gerald. If he was truly honest, and wanted to help, he would make it to the spot that Jexx pointed out (or at least somewhere near), and Jexx's trust in him would increase a little.
   But if Gerald was lying, and tried to go anywhere else, that would be reason enough to Jexx to blast him where he walked.
   Jexx smiled to himself as he stalked Gerald. I just love a win-win situation. Jexx thought to himself.

Paladin Sheppard

In town near the tower

"Copy that Morgan, wilco out."

Victor slowly backs away from the tower trying to look inconspicuous and head back deeper into the town. Using the map Morgan had pulled up he made his way to the indicated restaurant, where he waited outside.

lucas marcone

"Be careful Vic those guys could spot an "Undesireable" from a mile away. They probably have ampel ability to sopt a suspicious person like you, and if youre caught tha shot gun will NOT bode well." Josh was getting worried. He didn't want Victor to go to the same place his friends went. That was a thought he wasn't about to come to terms with any time soon.

Azlan

Morgan made a cautionary analysis of the food and drink that he had ordered, carefully like that of a wine tester, to allow his systems to take a small sample.

He left payment for the dinner with a standard tip and made motion to leave the restaurant.  He nodded to the person at the front and exited through the front doors.  With the briefest hint of a nod to Victor, he crossed the street (legally), and made way to his hotel.