How powerful are creatures really ?

Started by meltingface101, January 10, 2014, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meltingface101

How  powerful  are  creatures  really ?
From  what  we  have  seen  most  of  them tend to rely  upon melee combat , and  line  of  sight  fire .
However some  people  have  a  tendency  to  wank  creatures  like  Cubi  to  such  levels  as of wizards  
in  D&D . With  claims  that  they  can  casually  teleport  organs  out  of  their  enemies or  transmute a  tonne of antimatter  and  teleport  it  on  to  enemy  territory . Yet  if  the  latter  were  the  case  Furrae  would  be  a  very  different  setting .

Also  why  won't  the  site  allow  me  to  upload  an  profile avatar ?
All  things  float  down  here

Mao

You can't 'upload' one because we don't want to store images for you.  You can however link one from somewhere else.  (preferably an image account of your own)

Hope that helps.

meltingface101

Quote from: Mao on January 10, 2014, 06:55:24 PM
You can't 'upload' one because we don't want to store images for you.  You can however link one from somewhere else.  (preferably an image account of your own)

Hope that helps.

Sorry let  me  clarify I  have been  using  photobucket  links  but  they  all  end  up  broken , or  refused

:< Why  do  so  few  of  my  threads  ever  focus  on  the  main  topic ,

Tapewolf

Quote from: meltingface101 on January 10, 2014, 08:12:28 PM
Sorry let  me  clarify I  have been  using  photobucket  links  but  they  all  end  up  broken , or  refused

If it is bigger than 175 pixels wide or high, it won't show up.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

It probably is going to vary from creature to creature and what they specialize in.  I don't think any race short of the Fae could teleport organs or create a mountain to drop on enemy territory.

The thing with most creatures is that the really powerful stuff generally takes a lot of time and buildup to pull off.  If there is any true advantage creatures have is that some have longer lifespans which allow them to dedicate to pulling off such shenanigans.  Being able to dedicate fifty years of one's life to perfecting a ritual can really make a difference.

meltingface101

Low  level  adventures  like  Devin  have  shown  feats  like the spontaneous  transmutaion  of  several  kg  worth  of  ice  at  will .
Yet supposedly  powerful  creatures  like  DP  have  been  killed  repeatedly  by  idiots  with  swords . Does  magic  have  consequences  for  its  usage .

Amber Williams

Magic does take energy to use.  The thing with magic is it is something that can be taught, it just happens that some things have a greater natural 'energy pool' than other things.  However having a greater energy pool doesn't necessarily make you immune to weapons that have been magically enchanted to specifically cut through demons.

As for usage, if one uses enough magic there is the overall concequence that you'll end up shortening your own lifespan as when you overtap your natural energy, it likely eats into your own life.  That spell Devin did was him being a bit overzealous due to being a bit pissy, had he survived he likely would have ended up fairly tired and probably took about 2 years off his life.  Which...for a creature that lives thousands of years...ain't no big thing.  But for a being, that's not something you want to do often.

meltingface101

Considering  how  the  undead  have  no  preset  life  span . Why  have  so  few  people  gone  for  all  out  extermination , or  better  yet  attempted  mass  inoculation .

Also  thanks  Tapewolf .

Amber Williams

No one really knows if the undead have no preset life-span.  For all that's known, after 500 years of undeath to the date they'll fizzle out.  The Undead have only really been around for about 40 years in the incarnation that they are.

As for stacking with other templates, Undead actually don't stack and the vast majority of abilities creatures have get lost if one becomes undead. Cubi would lose their thought reading, emotional energy absorbing and shapeshifting abilities.   Undead demons would lose their near invulnerability, Undead Mythos like Matilda's race would lose their complete resistance to heat, etc.  Generally speaking going Undead is a downgrade to most creatures.

meltingface101

I  should  have  properly  separated  them  to  avoid  confusion .

The  mechanics  you  laid  out  would also  make Triwings  and  all  their  descendants  walking  no  limits  fallacies  right  off  the  bat .

They  would  logically  be  an  even  greater  threat  than  any  other  race  due  to  the  template  stacking  with  other  creature  templates , eventually  resulting  in  some  rather  unholy  combo  platter  race  completely  unbound  by  conservation  of  energy , or  even  space  time  if  you  extrapolate  the  pocket  dimension  trick .  :U

So  this  is  why  everyone  loves  wanking their  capabilities  so much .

No  wonder  Dragons  wanted  them  all  dead .

HaDDea

Perhaps - except in the hybrid section, it was outlined that most of the creature traits tend not to mix well; demon, angel and dragon traits will often quash 'cubi ones, the mythos are ridiculously diverse, and the Phoenix A and Fae do not breed period. This means that while it is theoretically possible to create a race of super dragon-cubi, it would be extremely difficult from a genetic standpoint alone. Then you'd also have to contend with the cultural ideals and taboos, which based on the recent history between dragons and 'cubi, makes such a race ridiculously unlikely. Zezzuva's success with the Insectis is not typical M.O. for most 'cubi.

Sprocketsdance

I think this is why people like wanking their space bar so much...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sprocketsdance on January 12, 2014, 12:39:50 AM
I think this is why people like wanking their space bar so much...

... nothing better to wank with?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

meltingface101

Quote from: HaDDea on January 11, 2014, 11:59:35 PM
Perhaps - except in the hybrid section, it was outlined that most of the creature traits tend not to mix well; demon, angel and dragon traits will often quash 'cubi ones, the mythos are ridiculously diverse, and the Phoenix A and Fae do not breed period. This means that while it is theoretically possible to create a race of super dragon-cubi, it would be extremely difficult from a genetic standpoint alone. Then you'd also have to contend with the cultural ideals and taboos, which based on the recent history between dragons and 'cubi, makes such a race ridiculously unlikely. Zezzuva's success with the Insectis is not typical M.O. for most 'cubi.

Over  time  it  wouldn't  matter  if  they  did  it  purposely , they  are  built  in  such  a  manner  that  each  trait  that  adds  to  their  power  without  surpassing  it  is  passed  onto  the  next  generation . This  is  inevitable  due  the  fact  they  regularly  breed  with  those  who  are  weaker  than  them . Though  the  main  reason  they  are  a  threat  is  because  they  can  draw  upon  one  anothers   life  force . So  unlike  other  creature  races  who  don't  get  much  more  powerful  in  numbers  because  they  can't  cooperate , Cubi  get  more  powerful  by  just  growing  in  numbers .  

Sprocketsdance

Are  you  trying  to  tell  me  to let  this  topic  die  ,  have I committed  an  infraction , or  is  this  a  warning  of  something  else

Grey Wolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 11, 2014, 11:33:43 AM
As for usage, if one uses enough magic there is the overall concequence that you'll end up shortening your own lifespan as when you overtap your natural energy, it likely eats into your own life.  That spell Devin did was him being a bit overzealous due to being a bit pissy, had he survived he likely would have ended up fairly tired and probably took about 2 years off his life.  Which...for a creature that lives thousands of years...ain't no big thing.  But for a being, that's not something you want to do often.

That's interesting. Is the natural energy a renewable resource (like, recoverable through rest, meditation, healing, etc.)? Or does one have a set energy level that is continuously depleted whenever they use magic at any time in their lives? Like, they lit a campfire magically sixteen years ago, and the energy loss is still there? And would there be a way to regain years lost by using too much magic by visiting a healer, medicine, whatever?
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

Amber Williams

It renews on it's own for the most part.  Some bigger spells or people going nova (expending more energy than they should have) can hamper the limit cap or their own life expectancy, but for the most part if you cast a spell to start a campfire, the energy used will be recharged by next morning.

Generally during the peak of one's life, you're going to have more energy than what you use in just existing (obviously if you are casting tons of magic each day this wont apply)  As one gets older though, the amount of energy it takes to maintain one's physical peak (aka: why creatures don't age for hundreds of years) starts to slowly go past the amount of energy one naturally produces...and thus aging and the slow decline begins.  It's why the whole soul stealing has a presence since the temptation of tacking on an extra 100 years to your life by offing one person is tempting. But then next time it requires two, then five, then a dozen....over time the amount of energy starts really burning faster than most creatures can keep up.

HaDDea

I was wondering then about the creation of magical items - scrolls, patches, etc. - could those be treated as "magical batteries"? Could you theoretically store up your own energy in some form of gem or artifact for use at a later date? I mean, it may not be much, but is it possible?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: HaDDea on January 12, 2014, 10:06:45 PM
I was wondering then about the creation of magical items - scrolls, patches, etc. - could those be treated as "magical batteries"? Could you theoretically store up your own energy in some form of gem or artifact for use at a later date? I mean, it may not be much, but is it possible?

I suspect that if anyone could manage that, Jyrras would be the guy. Possibly with help from outside sources.

On the other hand, his bent, as it were, is in other directions, and that sort of thing would enable someone with a lot of power to sit in a corner making a massive battery. You'd want to start it early in life, but... if you did it right, you could extend your lifespan by a reasonably large amount.

And that would put the balance of power back into the hands of the Creatures. So... I don't think we'll see anything of that sort going on. Interesting idea, though...

Alondro

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 10, 2014, 11:37:46 PM
It probably is going to vary from creature to creature and what they specialize in.  I don't think any race short of the Fae could teleport organs or create a mountain to drop on enemy territory.

The thing with most creatures is that the really powerful stuff generally takes a lot of time and buildup to pull off.  If there is any true advantage creatures have is that some have longer lifespans which allow them to dedicate to pulling off such shenanigans.  Being able to dedicate fifty years of one's life to perfecting a ritual can really make a difference.

And then there are the Fae, who are just Q/Discord-level god-moders.   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

meltingface101

Has  anyone  attempted  to  gather  souls  using  a  cult , or  the  "Human  cattle " method  from  Rats  in  the  walls ? Races  like  the  Insectis  and  Mer  would  be  in  the  best  position  to  do  so .

Grey Wolf

Quote from: meltingface101 on January 14, 2014, 12:07:31 PM
Has  anyone  attempted  to  gather  souls  using  a  cult , or  the  "Human  cattle " method  from  Rats  in  the  walls ? Races  like  the  Insectis  and  Mer  would  be  in  the  best  position  to  do  so .

I don't know what Rats in the Walls is, but something similar to "being cattle" has been used before. The dragon M'Chek harvested the souls of the city Hishaan.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

meltingface101

What  I  am  talking  about  are  things  specialized  for  the collection and  production  of  specific  types  of  souls , along  with  domesticated  creature  strains  . Also  how  common  are  Necromancers .

Amber Williams

The details of Insectis and Mer are pretty vague (aka: secret stuff) but from what has been seen the two races seem to have not much interest at all in souls or soul-powered magic.  Souls seem to be tied with sentience, so non-sentient domesticated animals don't cut it.   And in terms of energy, quality, and power...trying to 'human cattle' beings seems to just result in really pisspoor results that end up exceeding resources more than benefit.   Children's souls are practically useless, it seems the longer one lives the more powerful a soul generally gets...sort of like a snowball build effect.   So it's likely that the quality and power is in a way tied with experiences and how the living lived. 

Which is probably why the dragon M'Chek built a city rather than a cult or a being farm and had the underworkings of the soul harvest be unknown to all.

Attempts to produce specific types have always ended in failed results as it seems there is no easy to replicate scenario.   Twins could be born, one could become a farmer in the country who gets married and has two kids but overall has a simple life where the other could move to the city and learn magic...and somehow the farmer ends up having a stronger soul of the two.  Perhaps it is because his connection to family gives him a stronger resolve?  Perhaps it is the fresh air living of country life?    It's just as possible another set of twins in the exact same scenario will be inversed with the magical user having a stronger soul. 

MT Hazard

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tuyu

meltingface101

There  is  no  need  to  render  them  non sentient , merely  complacent  , and  there  are  several  creature  races  that  are  more
powerful  than  beings  from  the  get  go  that  rely  on  magic  very  little . All  it takes  is  a  bit  of  patience  to  manipulate  members  of  a  preferred  group  into  a  state  that  allows  optimal  harvesting , after  gaining  their  trust  by  means  such  as
offering  protection , etc . In  fact  creature  races  like  Weres are  better  suited  due  to small  numbers and  reclusive  nature , even  despite  their  power  their  are  to  few  outlets  they  could  use  to  harm  you  due  to  their  nature .

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: meltingface101 on January 15, 2014, 06:53:31 AM
There  is  no  need  to  render  them  non sentient , merely  complacent  , and  there  are  several  creature  races  that  are  more
powerful  than  beings  from  the  get  go  that  rely  on  magic  very  little . All  it takes  is  a  bit  of  patience  to  manipulate  members  of  a  preferred  group  into  a  state  that  allows  optimal  harvesting , after  gaining  their  trust  by  means  such  as
offering  protection , etc . In  fact  creature  races  like  Weres are  better  suited  due  to small  numbers and  reclusive  nature , even  despite  their  power  their  are  to  few  outlets  they  could  use  to  harm  you  due  to  their  nature .

meltingface101, are you proposing to tell the Author how their own world works?

I mean, I respect your chutzpah, seriously, but dude. Come on. Give it a rest.

Sheesh.

.. And that's not a suggestion, btw. Next time I give you some time off to think about it.

meltingface101

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 15, 2014, 10:06:28 AM

I  apologize if  I  gave  off  that  impression ,  I  was  just clarifying  my  previous  statement  due  to  the  fact  I  was  to  vague  about  the  subject  of  "Human Cattle "  .

Also  have  there  been  any  sentient  races  that  did  not  depend  upon   magic/ (Possess  a  soul )  to  regulate  life  functions ?

katasev

Quote from: meltingface101 on January 15, 2014, 11:10:54 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 15, 2014, 10:06:28 AM

I  apologize if  I  gave  off  that  impression ,  I  was  just clarifying  my  previous  statement  due  to  the  fact  I  was  to  vague  about  the  subject  of  "Human Cattle "  .

Also  have  there  been  any  sentient  races  that  did  not  depend  upon   magic/ (Possess  a  soul )  to  regulate  life  functions ?

As has been stated:
Quotetrying to 'human cattle' beings seems to just result in really pisspoor results that end up exceeding resources more than benefit.
Meaning that the amount of effort put in to maintaining a "crop" of beings wastes more effort than it's worth to harvest them. Lacking any self-motivation leads to pitifully underpowered souls - and let's face it, if they KNEW they were being bred and raised specifically for soul harvesting, any sentient being would either (a) get out of there or (b) have to be lobotomized, resulting aforementioned lack of self-motivation. Thus the secrecy around M'Chek's use of a city - it's basically the same thing, but you can't "herd" beings - you just have to let them live their lives and collect on the sly.

Also:
QuoteSouls seem to be tied with sentience,
Thus all sentient races have souls, ergo all sentient races depend on their "soul battery" or however you want to put it to maintain existence as themselves. One could maybe argue that if you removed the soul carefully enough the body could live on, but that would drop any kind of sentience out of them as well, so the point is moot as the being's self-actualized existence would have ended. We think, therefore, we are.

meltingface101

But  vampires  canonically  existed  in  Furrae . It  was  stated  that  the  Fae  are  not  alive  by  the  standards  of most other  races .
Also  Humans  existed  in  Furrae  as  well , if  they  are  anything  like  real  wold  humans  they  largely  rely  upon  chemistry  and  
natural  forces  to  continue  functioning  instead  of  a  mystical  energy.