02/21/10 [DMFA #1091] - A Good Listener

Started by Baal Hadad, February 21, 2010, 02:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baal Hadad

Zedd

jeffh4

Quote from: Zedd on February 21, 2010, 03:04:54 AM
No talking drakes here...yup..:shifty
Pip's manned the bar before (forget the issue number).  Perhaps he's better at the job than we gave him credit for.

Madd the Sane

Wait...
Abel knows Draconic?  :erk
why must you toy with us, Amber? Whyyyy?!?!
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Thirty Second Artbomb

Oh snap.

Bjalf

My first thought is that Abel is hallucinating. Wait, where's the band-aid?

Hah! It's a dream! Too few (and the wrong kinds of) emotions to feed on, exhaustion snuck up on Abel and now he's fast asleep. He'll be found snoring at a table, half done filling the salt shakers with sugar.

Garsemor

OMG Pip is talking again and it's not just to Mab this time.
Quote from: Madd the Sane on February 21, 2010, 03:31:07 AM
Abel knows Draconic?  :erk
He doesn't know Draconic, it's Pip who speaks humain/furr, just look at page 847. If he was speaking Draconic all we'd hear is "kiki ki kiii".

Titanium Dragon

QuoteAbel knows Draconic?

I think it is more likely that Pip is speaking common. That's the simplest explanation; the same as when he and Mab were speaking. I mean, it could be another language, but no reason to assume that.

Pip is a person. He just pretends to be unintelligent because it is his cover. He seems to be quite erudite.

The real question is, of course, if he is doing it to manipulate Abel (probably). It will be funny if Abel ever mentions it to Dan and Pip plays dumb, as there's a good chance Abel doesn't know that Pip is "supposed" to be an animal.

Distracting

Ok, let's be honest with ourselves; who else read Pip's lines in the voice of Morgan Freeman?

Madd the Sane

I just realized that if Pip is there, Mab must be close by.

Thirty Second Artbomb

Quote from: Distracting on February 21, 2010, 03:59:43 AM
Ok, let's be honest with ourselves; who else read Pip's lines in the voice of Morgan Freeman?

...I don't know if I'll ever be able to read his lines in any other voice from now on. Thanks?

Jasonrevall

Since when has Pip been a good listener? I would think he would bite someone after 2 minutes of monologue rather than sit there quietly and listen.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Bjalf

Quote from: Jasonrevall on February 21, 2010, 05:06:31 AM
Since when has Pip been a good listener? I would think he would bite someone after 2 minutes of monologue rather than sit there quietly and listen.

Has Pip ever bitten anyone besides Dan? And isn't that just a ploy, anyway?

Madd the Sane

Quote from: Bjalf on February 21, 2010, 05:33:38 AM
Quote from: Jasonrevall on February 21, 2010, 05:06:31 AM

Has Pip ever bitten anyone besides Dan?
Yes. Azlan, if memory serves.

Bjalf

Quote from: Madd the Sane on February 21, 2010, 05:40:12 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on February 21, 2010, 05:33:38 AM
Has Pip ever bitten anyone besides Dan?
Yes. Azlan, if memory serves.

Ah, yes, in the "Warrior for hire" arc. Blast, there goes my theory.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Thirty Second Artbomb link=topic=7034.msg313546#msg313546 ...I don't know if I'll ever be able to read his lines in anyi]other[/i] voice from now on. Thanks?

Apparently he's supposed to sound a bit like me :P

Anyway, if you look at the last panel, Abel's eye is open in puzzlement.  It's like he's just heard someone and turned around to see that it's Pip.  It would seem that Pip is speaking the common tongue and also that Abel didn't expect him to be able to talk.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

I do wonder what Pip's plan is, playing dumb, attacking Dan for no good reason, conspiring with Mab, risking his secret by talking with Abel (who may tell Dan), whats the end game?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Scarydragon

I did indeed imagine a deep voice, but not quite Morgan Freeman's.

Just for fun, try imagining him sounding like Patrick Warburton. :3
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

dravus

*eyetwitchs and bursts out laughing* I laugh because it makes so much sense!

Naldru

Pip also went after Fi and some of the photographers who were with the group that invaded Mab's glen.  There were also the early strips where Pip went after some Pokemon hunters and then later nature photographers.  However, in most of these cases, the people Pip attacked had either used flash photography or tried to trap him in a pokeball.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on February 21, 2010, 08:22:00 AM
Pip also went after Fi and some of the photographers who were with the group that invaded Mab's glen.

Fi is Dan's companion, though.
EDIT: I take that back, that was before Fi was bound to Dan.

All in all, we don't know much about drakes, aside from what we saw in the Merlitz backstory, which may or may not strictly be canon.  However, if it's not considered normal for them to be able to talk, the obvious supposition is that Pip is a shapeshifter roleplaying as an animal to disguise his true form or identity.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Bjalf

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2010, 08:25:48 AM
However, if it's not considered normal for them to be able to talk, the obvious supposition is that Pip is a shapeshifter roleplaying as an animal to disguise his true form or identity.

Probably Mab's son from when she was drinking a soda.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Bjalf on February 21, 2010, 08:40:03 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 21, 2010, 08:25:48 AM
However, if it's not considered normal for them to be able to talk, the obvious supposition is that Pip is a shapeshifter roleplaying as an animal to disguise his true form or identity.

Nope that's Rose, her daughter. Gasp! Rose annd Pip are the same person! It suddenly all makes sense! :P

edit: also, for those trying to remember when Pip talked last it was in 847
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

D'ymkarra

I was thinking something equally authoritative, like James Earl Jones or even Sean Connery ( no that wasn't a Dragonheart reference either  :P )

Quote from: MT Hazard on February 21, 2010, 07:03:53 AM
I do wonder what Pip's plan is, playing dumb, attacking Dan for no good reason, conspiring with Mab, risking his secret by talking with Abel (who may tell Dan), whats the end game?

I think whether Abel tells anybody all depends on what Pip has to say from this point...Right now, Abel could very well think he's hallucinating out of boredom  :mowninja
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Alondro

Pip is like Nibbler on "Futurama".  He pretends to be a fairly dumb critter, when in fact his species RULES THE UNIVERSE!!!  Drakes are our masters!   D:
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Chaos

Bjalf

Quote from: MT Hazard on February 21, 2010, 09:16:12 AM
Quote from: Bjalf on February 21, 2010, 08:40:03 AM

Nope that's Rose, her daughter. Gasp! Rose annd Pip are the same person! It suddenly all makes sense! :P
Nooo, Mab has a son also, and she got him in the same way as Rose, except it was a soda, not  tea.

Quote from: Alondro on February 21, 2010, 10:22:04 AM
Pip is like Nibbler on "Futurama".  He pretends to be a fairly dumb critter, when in fact his species RULES THE UNIVERSE!!!  Drakes are our masters!   D:
Gods, I really, really hope not. It'd be like "The Great Bird Conspiracy" in "Kevin & Kell".

Drayco84

I prefer more of a super sexy Sean Connery voice myself... (Note: I'M A GUY, BTW.)

But, does Pip remind anyone of the Pseudodragons drom D&D? Small creatures with a venomous stinger, but they're intelligent and even telepathic. (Heck, with the correct feat, you can even have them as a familiar... They're also a way to enjoy Shocking Grasp to it's fullest, bweeeehehehehehe...)

And yes, Pip is mostly just screwing with Dan and trying to keep him away from Mab. (Prolly at Mab's request, too.) So, he's not risking much here. If Abel tries to convince Dan that Pip is intelligent, we'll get a hilarious scene where Dan is highly suspicious, confronts Pip, and gets TEH TEEEEEEETH! And then, Dan will be mad at Abel for the "hilariously unfunny" joke.

You see, it's always, ALWAYS the dumb and/or ditzy-seeming things you have to worry about, ESPECIALLY here. (Remember what happened to the naturalist when he yanked on Mab's antenna? Yeah, and that was just a burst of pain anor/or annoyance. If she, or any other fae for that matter, gets REALLY mad, the results will be SO catastrophic that Amber won't even be able to draw it!)

Ghostwish

Where did Abel's bandaid go? He decide he wasn't getting reimbursed for injury and heal himself or some such?