Gal6 (Join Today!)

Started by Tezkat, January 17, 2010, 07:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tezkat

So... Imperion turned out to be full of fail despite its deceptively pretty package. What to do?

Gal6 is all the things Imperion was not. It's highly cooperative. Essentially, an arbitrarily large number of players can combine forces in any given battle, so victory goes to the largest and/or most organized alliance. It's a tournament style game that resets every 4-6 months, so players don't get too attached to their pixels and alliances are in a constant state of war.

The thugz are now migrating to Gal6 in significant numbers. We've all joined up with an established alliance (#root). Microalliances have very poor survival prospects in this game. #root itself will be merging with another alliance (#NBT) next turn, which should make us competitive with the game's more established Hungarian alliances. The new name will be #NSR, which (as far as I know) doesn't actually stand for anything. :animesweat

JOIN TODAY!

NEWS:

The new turn started Saturday, January 23rd, at 1:00pm EST (UTC-5). There are only a handful of spots left in our alliance, so join soon if you're interested!

I put together a quick guide to help you guys get started. :mowcookie
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tezkat on January 17, 2010, 07:23:13 PM
So... Imperion turned out to be full of fail despite its deceptively pretty package. What to do?

:<  I still like Imperion, and I'm sticking with it...  :mowsad

SquirrelWizard

I thought Id look into it (I'll be honest, Imperion is a tad dull.) but they said they sent a verification email to my mailbox, i've checked the email address they had, the various filters on my mailbox, and my inbox and spam box, no email. Anybody know how to get them to resend the verification email? Their support page was less than helpful.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Tezkat

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 18, 2010, 03:49:04 PM
:<  I still like Imperion, and I'm sticking with it...  :mowsad

Imperion is a kinda neat sim... but it isn't a game you play with your friends. There's little opportunity for cooperative interaction--indeed, resource competition actually punishes you for building near your buddies. Furthermore, time cost to the player scales linearly with growth, which punishes you for growing as well. So... you're discouraged from growing, and you're discouraged from socializing. It's no wonder nearly everyone quit. :<

Quote from: SquirrelWizard on January 18, 2010, 09:28:53 PM
I thought Id look into it (I'll be honest, Imperion is a tad dull.) but they said they sent a verification email to my mailbox, i've checked the email address they had, the various filters on my mailbox, and my inbox and spam box, no email. Anybody know how to get them to resend the verification email? Their support page was less than helpful.

Hmm... dunno. Maybe see if the password reminder thing works? If not, you'd probably have to open a support ticket, which really isn't worthwhile given that the current turn ends so soon. Just create a new account to play with for the last few days and get used to the interface. Your old registration will be deleted automatically if you don't activate within a two days anyway. Actually, if your activation e-mail bounced due to mistyping your e-mail address or something, it should get deleted immediately...

Modification and deletion of a registration
Modification of registered data is possible via the website.

In reasonable cases, Service Provider may delete a registration
at any time with an immediate effect, especially in the following cases:

1. Based on registration emails returned to the Service Provider following registrations filled in incorrectly; the primary reason for this is incorrect email address provided.

2. The system automatically deletes registrations which were successful, but the activation of which did not take place within 2 days.

3. The system automatically deletes registrations which were successful, but there was no login within 3 days following activation.

4. The system automatically deletes successful registrations the login dates of which is older than 5 days.

5. The system automatically deletes suspended registrations the last login date of which is older than 30 days.

6. Service Provider randomly checks for registration data not filled
     in properly, and registrations not complying with the rules are deleted.

Deleted planets may not be restored.

User may delete his/her registration from the service at any time.

The new official word is that registration for next turn will open on Saturday, January 23. :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Am I reading things correctly, in that the team will actually _want_ a turtle or two lurking in the local vicinity?

Yes? Particularly one on totally different timescales? Since I'm now working, it means I may or may not have time to play regularly...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tezkat

Heh... as long as you're helping feed the Alliance Treasury, sure. :3

The game isn't hugely time consuming. I'd say more than CN, less than Galava, and way, way less than Imperion. The turnaround time for most attacks is more than 24 hours. The rest of the time, you have nothing to do but queue up military.

Assault coordination is something we try to schedule in advance. So if you're helping with attacks, you can pop in for a minute at the designated hour to launch your stuffs.

SquirrelWizard

okay this is really ticking me off.

I've tried multiple emails, no verification email appeared in any of them.

I tried signing up at the support site to berate their customer support staff, but they need me to verifiy my account before I can start with the berating.

I have no filters on my emails, spam and inboxes are relatively clean so it isn't lost in the mess, what does a person have to do to get an account set up here?

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Tezkat

Hmm... that is weird. What does it tell you when you try to log in using the username/password you gave at registration?

SquirrelWizard

Darkdragon

I tried on the first night I saw this, got the E-mail which fails to activate my new account, tried just then (with new account) and same result.

Perhaps in the new turn this problem will be solved.

Tezkat

Hmph. That sucks. I know a number of thugz successfully registered new accounts in the last week, but it's possible that they had issues with the registration server in the final days.

Anyways... nothing left to do now but see if it's fixed when registration opens again on Saturday. Hope to see you guys then!

The alliance and IRC channel will be #NSR instead of #root, and they've announced that starting resources will be higher, but there shouldn't be any major gameplay changes in the new version.

EDIT:

Servers are up. Registration for the new turn is open. They apparently need better translators to communicate key dates... :animesweat

Anyways, hope you guys can register now, or at least bug the admins about any problems. :3

SquirrelWizard

the folks at gal6 need to work on getting their email stuff sorted out. This is ridiculous...

I made my account, and by some bizarre fluke I got the email in my in box... but it doesn't contain any verifcation link, no password. I tried getting my password via the reset password function via the support page, but they just sent me an email with my old password on it (my old password results in an invalid/incorrect login/password message). when I try to log into the support page with my account info (using the old pw that they sent me) it gives me teh "incorrect login info"

Tezkat

Weird. :< I know several other NSR members have successfully processed new registrations today. I personally created a new support account today with no problems at all. The support account, by the way, is completely separate from your game login.

Are you still trying to use the old accounts that had problems before the reset?

SquirrelWizard

I finally got my account up...

had to use yet another email, and they finally sent me the activation info.

Planet: SquirrelWizard
(214:0:0:82)

Tezkat

Welcome aboard!

Remember to join #NSR. There's a limit of 10 players per galaxy and 100 players total in an alliance. We're aiming to sort and place everyone tomorrow.

What to do on logging in...

Economy > Raw Materials:
Activate 3 Metal plasmators.

Economy > Technology
Construct Metal processing plant.
Research Rocket technology.

Alliance > Profile
#NSR > Jump To > Sign Up

Game time officially starts at 7PM EST (UTC-5) on Saturday, but you can queue up your starting stuff now.

:mowcookie

SquirrelWizard

Tezkat

Awesome. :kittycool

DMFA/Thugz have our own private galaxy now (214:1:6). :3 It's filling out nicely--only 3 spots left. First come, first serve, if anyone else is thinking of joining...

The #NSR alliance itself has 21 spots remaining at the moment, some of which may already be spoken for. We're a little bit Digitrox heavy at the moment, so please consider other races unless you plan to bankroll the alliance while turtling.

A little more on alliance organization for this turn...

We're basically splitting up into raiders and defenders. The raiders go and beat people up for their plasmators, which leaves the home front undefended for a good chunk of the time. (Attacks can take more than a day for the round trip, and you'll often be sending your entire fleet.)

We're aiming to have at least one designated defender per galaxy. These people will be fairly active players who dedicate their fleets to reinforcing other alliance members against raids--especially members of their own galaxies. The rest of the galaxy will pay them tribute for their services to compensate for not being able to grow through raiding. This game is necessarily a team effort.

Hope to see a few more of you there! :mowcookie

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm happy to be digitrox and bankroll madly.

Might need some advice how best to play, of course. Alternatively, someone who's happy to have a team member who isn't there a lot....

Kasarn

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 22, 2010, 02:40:39 PM
I'm happy to be digitrox and bankroll madly.

Might need some advice how best to play, of course. Alternatively, someone who's happy to have a team member who isn't there a lot....

Well... the higher-ups don't want any more digis in the alliance (indeed, they're actively trying to convince those who picked Digitrox to delete and rejoin as a more team-oriented race), but I think we can sneak you in somehow. >:]

Otherwise, it's not too hard to play a turtle digi. Spend most of your income on PDS and exploring for new plasmators. Donate a portion of your funds to either the galaxy defender(s) or the alliance treasury. If you're online a decent amount of time (e.g. for large chunks of evenings or weekends), build up to half your strength in actual ships so you can at least deploy fleets as a secondary alliance defence.

Quote from: Kasarn on January 22, 2010, 03:31:59 PM
/shrugs

Seerfir.

Welcome aboard! We'll get you moved to a friendly galaxy as soon as the resident Galaxy Commander gets online.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Wibble wibble wibble.

st1 will sort things out.

Tezkat

Oh, just a heads up...

The Gal6 coders are apparently kinda stupid when it comes to time zones. The new turn should start at 7pm Hungarian time (UTC+1)... in other words, right now, give or take. :dface

Shadrok

Quote from: Tezkat on January 22, 2010, 03:57:29 PM
the higher-ups don't want any more digis in the alliance (indeed, they're actively trying to convince those who picked Digitrox to delete and rejoin as a more team-oriented race),

So what are the team-oriented races mite I ask. I'm thinking I mite play as a Piraati.

SquirrelWizard

well apart from the digitrox, most of the races either have more offensive capabilities (see shin) or defensive capabilities (see khaduuii) to flavor whether you raid or have a defensive fleet. Technically digitrox could raid, but from what I've read they really suck at it. (I'm a digi, and I'm content on building a wall of pain and lobbing cash bombs to my allies. i haven't finishd researching cash bombs atm...)

edited for clarity:

Every fleet can offensively raid, attack, or be defensive. Some races are much better at it. from the front pages you can click on the species tab and read their bios. It should give you an idea of what each race is about.

Tezkat

Quote from: Shadrok on January 31, 2010, 12:10:51 AM
So what are the team-oriented races mite I ask. I'm thinking I mite play as a Piraati.

Everyone but Digitrox. :3 Seriously... Digitrox suck unless you're playing with the paid extra package.

Piraati are hard to play. I wouldn't recommend it the first time around because they require a lot of careful fleet management and attention to enemy targeting patterns. Also, you need to play very aggressively (attacking/defending almost every day) to obtain the ships needed to round out your fleet. Furthermore, they're very crystal heavy, which means an expensive transition from the metal heavy newbie economy.

Khaduuii and Zyk are the best raiders. Khaduuii have the highest attacks in the game, and the fact that they don't kill things in combat is actually an advantage in raids, because they won't knock enemy scores down as quickly and thus can more easily stretch the battle out for multiple rounds. Zyk stealers are so cheap that you can rarely block them all, so they almost always come home with loot.

The most firepower, for both offensive and defensive applications, is in the hands of Human and Zyk. The latter are a bit more versatile because they can raid well, too. Humans mature a little more slowly. Either of these races makes excellent fleet support for other players in the alliance. Shin aren't as strong as the others, but their first strike and fleet stealth are great assets in multiplayer operations.

(For the record, I'm playing as Piraati this turn. Last turn, I started with Shin.)

Quote from: SquirrelWizard on January 31, 2010, 12:30:38 AM
Every fleet can offensively raid, attack, or be defensive. Some races are much better at it. from the front pages you can click on the species tab and read their bios. It should give you an idea of what each race is about.

Er... I'd point people towards my guide rather than the official documentation (which is... shall we say... not so clear on the relative merits of each race :animesweat).

I might also add that the alliance is kinda full at the moment (only 2 spots open... I'll have to check to see if they've been claimed yet), and there isn't any room left in our galaxy.

Tezkat

Um... where did Kasarn go? His planet seems to have gone missing... :dface