[Story] A short story from Tapewolf

Started by Tapewolf, February 14, 2008, 04:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I'm useless at writing anything remotely slushy, but today seems somewhat appropriate to publish this.  It doesn't really have a name.  Contains some violence.

Nem had a vague awareness that something was wrong as he rounded back into the house with his young mage wife, Sally.  Perhaps it had been a little late to visit the forest, and had his mind been on the job the husky would have spotted the three shadowy figures behind them, but it was their first anniversary and tonight was their night.

Upstairs, he didn't hear a thing as they skilfully picked the lock.  The first awareness that something was wrong was when his wife screamed.  He tore down the stairs only to be struck from behind the door as he burst into the living room.

Coming to his knees, the husky watched in horror as the bandit stood with his wife in an arm-lock, a wicked blade digging into her throat.  "Frisk him," one said as a third frisked Nem's trousers, relieving him of his purse and then a fine watch, wrought by the silversmiths of Arandor who were famous for their intricate mechanisms.

"Take it," he said, "just let her go..."

For his pains they gave him a sharp blow to his kidney and he folded, eyes watering.  The knifeman reached down and began to undo his leggings, staring at Sally with a look of hunger in his eyes.  Oh gods, he's going to...

"NO!" he yelled, and the decision was made.  No chance to back out now, they had forced his hand and he'd just have to deal with the consequences as best he could.  The feline died with a gormless expression of surprise as a tentacle flicked out and his head fell off.  Another died with a horrible gurgling cry as a second tentacle sliced into his belly and then up into his chest.  The sole survivor was backed against the wall, his face a mask of sheer terror, the realisation that he was in the most dire peril he could ever dream of.  The monster had probably already devoured the souls of his two companions.

Leathery headwings quivering, Neremath faced him with a look of contempt.  It wasn't just intimidation, it was avoidance too.  He knew perfectly well that his wife's features would bear that very same look of horror and shock.  To see her staring back at him with hatred and terror was one of the few things he simply couldn't stand.  That and her death... or violation.  He had always known that this was a risk associated with falling for a mortal, but love, as they say, can be blind.

Nonetheless, he was not so besotted as to let common sense fly out the window, for his race was the one dark secret he couldn't risk her finding out.  It was also one of the reasons they hadn't yet had children.  How would she react when one of her puppies was born with wings?  He'd made excuses.  "Can we wait a few years, dear?" and the like... fortunately she had seemed to understand, almost relieved.  Maybe she had half-guessed... but it didn't matter now, all that was over.  These scum had forced him to reveal that he was not a mere Being like them... He was a demon.  An incubus.  A soul-devouring monster, infamous for their ability to shapeshift and lurk among mortals, awaiting the right kind of prey.

"Omigods..." she said.  Neremath sighed and looked at the floor.  The bandit tried hard to become one with the wallpaper.

"I... I'm sorry," Neremath said lamely.  "I just... didn't know how to tell you.  It's been bugging me since we married..." he gave a nervous chuckle, but there wasn't much conviction behind it.  "I know you won't believe me, but I swear I never wanted to harm you... or your soul.  I'll leave you in peace now..."

Rambling, and intent on his own misery, the husky didn't notice the way the bandit's ragged breathing had changed in timbre and volume until there was a faint gurgle and he slumped unconscious to the ground.  This sound brought Neremath to full attention and he stared wide-eyed at the tentacle uncurling from his erstwhile enemy's throat.  It wasn't one of his.  Slowly he turned around, gazing at his wife in stark disbelief.

"Salomere?  You?  One of us?  Oh my gods... you could have killed them all without even blinking!"

She nodded, dark feathers flicking nervously behind her head as a timid smile briefly played across her lips.   "I didn't want to frighten you."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Interesting turn of events. It reminds me of another story I once heard, about a couple who bought each other anniversary gifts... but this isn't the right place to start telling another story.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

IIRC, Amber once mentioned in passing that two 'Cubi would sometimes get into a relationship, each believing the other to be a Being.  That was the genesis of this idea.  The story itself was originally written over Christmas, after a couple of other shorts were published.

techmaster-glitch

Cogidubnus

Very nice. I enjoyed it. :3

I'm sure that's a Valentine's day they would come to treasure.

LionHeart

Quote from: Gabi on February 14, 2008, 06:19:48 PM
Interesting turn of events. It reminds me of another story I once heard, about a couple who bought each other anniversary gifts... but this isn't the right place to start telling another story.

Would that be The Gift of the Magi?

And it's a good story, Tapewolf. I liked it.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Tapewolf

I actually have a collection of O'Henry stories, so I'll have to dig up The Gift of the Magi.  I think I've read and forgotten it.

One of the things I couldn't quite work into the text is that they have both taken the identity of Being mages as an explanation for why they can't read each other's minds.  Another slightly tricky part was to make their identities a little vague, since if anyone who's reading Future History twigged who they were too soon, the rest would follow  >:3

Thanks for the comments, guys - to be honest I had doubts about publishing this.  Nice to see it went down well.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Nice story, TW. I liked it.

The ending was... slightly telegraphed, but not enough to trouble the story. About the point that Nem was not looking at his wife, I think I clicked. Still and all, entertaining.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 15, 2008, 06:32:48 AM
The ending was... slightly telegraphed, but not enough to trouble the story.

Actually, the ending was the one bit I really wasn't happy with  :rolleyes

Gabi

Quote from: LionHeart on February 14, 2008, 10:43:16 PM
Quote from: Gabi on February 14, 2008, 06:19:48 PM

Would that be The Gift of the Magi?

And it's a good story, Tapewolf. I liked it.
Yes, that was the story! I'm surprised you could figure it out from my post.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly