10/14/07 [#41] - The characters of Last Resort have great throwing arms

Started by stiletto, October 13, 2007, 09:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiletto

I must say, I was having a really bad weekend, but then when I read at the bottom "Rules only have to make sense to other rules" I really cracked up. Thanks for making my weekend.

And that must be some throw. What was that last wall made of anyway? Are all Talmi that tough, or just Jigsaw?

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: stiletto on October 13, 2007, 09:38:18 PM
I must say, I was having a really bad weekend, but then when I read at the bottom "Rules only have to make sense to other rules" I really cracked up. Thanks for making my weekend.

And that must be some throw. What was that last wall made of anyway? Are all Talmi that tough, or just Jigsaw?

At the risk of spoiling things, I'm going to need you to define 'tough'.  >:3

stiletto

Tough [tuhf] -adjective- strong and durable; not easily broken or cut.

Basically, if you were to throw every Talmi through a wall of similar structure, would they, on average, wind out on the other side in the same condition of damage that Jig is, or would they be more damaged? Like a statistics problem.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: stiletto on October 13, 2007, 10:23:33 PM
Tough [tuhf] -adjective- strong and durable; not easily broken or cut.

Basically, if you were to throw every Talmi through a wall of similar structure, would they, on average, wind out on the other side in the same condition of damage that Jig is, or would they be more damaged? Like a statistics problem.

Jigsaw has sustained just as much damage as any other Talmi would.

... however, any other Talmi would also be dead by now, or at least not getting up anytime soon.

Reese Tora

wee, yay! i maded a gûd prediction!

Love the quote at the bottom... something that anyone who plays video games, especially RPGs, ought to know well. :P

Jig looks pretty hagard in the last frame, like I would expect someone who'd been eating poorly for a while and living off thier body's reserves.  I'd half expect her to freak out and lose control of her body and go on a rampage (and not remember any of it afterwards, of course)

That could just be my interpretation of the way the cheek tufts and muzzle are, though, as it makes the area look concave or 'hollowed' to me.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

stiletto

So dieing doesn't count as more damage? Huh, who'd have thought. So I guess we can define tough as being able to take more damage before you die... thanks.

And I bet if you were thrown through a wall you'd look a little peckish. Aside from gaunt, she seems to be doing pretty well.

techmaster-glitch

It's not particularly intellectual or descriptive, or even delicate, but I have only one thing to say off the top of my head for this comic.

Holy shit! The cast of Last Resort are all Juggernauts!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 13, 2007, 10:56:56 PM
Jigsaw has sustained just as much damage as any other Talmi would.
... however, any other Talmi would also be dead by now, or at least not getting up anytime soon.

I look up, I'm almost blinded
by the warmth of what's inside me
and the taste that's in my soul,
but I'm dead inside as I stand alone

--Lost, Van Der Graaf Generator

If she is dead-alive, wouldn't she, uh... stop working if her head got broken?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

AndersW

llearch n'n'daCorna

They're hanging downwards, totally unlike the usual controlled stance.

Probably something to do with having been hammered down on the way through the wall.

Just a guess, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 14, 2007, 05:42:46 AMIf she is dead-alive, wouldn't she, uh... stop working if her head got broken?

Maybe it would just take longer to coordinate movement as the thinking bits get further away from the moving bits.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: AndersW on October 14, 2007, 09:56:36 AM
Her ears look strange in the last panel.  Why is that?

It's time for: Experiments in Anatomy!

Take your hands and hold the wrists against the sides of your head, about where your ears are. This is akin to what you usually see of her ears.

Now turn your wrists and close your hands slightly enough to make the fingers curl forwards. The 'palm' is no longer visible. Neither are the insides of her ears. Instead, you're getting a rare view of the back from the front, folded over 'puppy dog' style if you will.

It takes blood to maintain that ear structure, and the more blood is circulating through there, the higher the ears stand — akin to an erection, if you need the analogy. If blood is needed elsewhere (like when she's tired), she's no longer interested in keeping her ears high, the usual capillaries are damaged, or, perhaps... she's running low on blood, period, the ears slacken like that.

I might illustrate this later in the Sketchbook, but they're usually at a fairly neutral height, can perk up higher (briefly) the same way you would raise your eyebrows, and tend to lower their silhouette when upset/sad. The ears curling forwards is more a sign of physical distress versus emotional, but the two can overlap.

As for other questions (since it appears I need to answer 'em):

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 14, 2007, 02:40:17 AMHoly shit! The cast of Last Resort are all Juggernauts!

Jiggy got hammer-tossed. Granted, Arikos is still pretty damn strong since he managed to stay aloft while holding Jigsaw by the throat up TO this point, but rotational force is still nothing to sneeze at. Ari would've been classed in the Strength division if not for the additional abilities being a Celeste gives him, not to mention he's a little less flexible than the others because of his girth.

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 14, 2007, 05:42:46 AM
If she is dead-alive, wouldn't she, uh... stop working if her head got broken?

Dead Inside are extremely hard to kill, period, and the ways to kill 'em are things I don't want to reveal yet.

Her current injuries are roughly equivalent to what Dale Earnhardt died of; namely a cracked skull (and probably some  compressed vertebrae as well). It's not that these types of injuries aren't survivable, but the odds of dying on impact from 'em are ridiculous.

stiletto

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 14, 2007, 12:20:58 PM
Her current injuries are roughly equivalent to what Dale Earnhardt died of; namely a cracked skull (and probably some  compressed vertebrae as well). It's not that these types of injuries aren't survivable, but the odds of dying on impact from 'em are ridiculous.

I suddenly got the image in my mind of Jigsaw in the place of Wile E Coyote, with all sorts of terrible things happening to her and her still surviving.

So does Jig need to suck blood, or is that the sort of thing you can't answer yet?

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: stiletto on October 14, 2007, 01:00:28 PM
So does Jig need to suck blood, or is that the sort of thing you can't answer yet?

... wouldn't you like to know.  :mwaha

stiletto

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 14, 2007, 05:43:42 PM
Quote from: stiletto on October 14, 2007, 01:00:28 PM

... wouldn't you like to know.  :mwaha

Why, yes, I would like to know.

...and are you not answering my question about whether or not you can answer that? Man, you are evil. Evil.

techmaster-glitch

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 14, 2007, 12:20:58 PM
It's time for: Experiments in Anatomy!
*snip*

Actually, I was under the assumption that most ears' structural support was by way of cartilage, which is why they're also soft.  On animals, they can move because of musculature near the base, which allows, for example, cats or deer to move their ears every which way, including, for cats and dogs, being able to lay them flat across the back of their heads. 

Granted, this is how earth animals work, and given the Talmi are a race of your own design, I'll have to concede the point, but that's how it usually works.

KarlOmega1

Poor Jigsaw...I'd bet that hurt. I kinda feel like helping her walk it off...
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Brunhidden

i see this as a mechanical issue, and that makes what i am about to say sound even weirder

first off- is it possible to 'rifle' a Talmi when you throw it? this would vastly improve velosity, penetrating force, and of course the distance. however this would make them even dizzyer so it would fit

second- the Talmi spine... would it by any chance have superior shock absorbing properties? for all i know they could be some kind of tigger and be one giant spring or they could be so rigid the rod up their butt has a rod up its butt

third- is most of the Talmi's weight towards one end? if the head is disproportionately heavy it allows two possibilities. you could either throw it like a football and it would fly more 'true' or you could do a more realistic end over end fling, giving it the powerful effect of a throwing axe
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 17, 2007, 09:02:28 PM
second- the Talmi spine... would it by any chance have superior shock absorbing properties? for all i know they could be some kind of tigger and be one giant spring or they could be so rigid the rod up their butt has a rod up its butt

They've got some kangaroo-like shock absorption, but I don't think it'd help much in this case (let alone headfirst!)

... and congratulations, you made my head spin on that post. @_@

superluser

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 17, 2007, 10:09:18 PM... and congratulations, you made my head spin on that post. @_@
Bonus hint: Imhotep is invisible.
You may have one hint: The formula for relativistic kinetic energy is (γ-1)mc**2

Show your work.  You have twenty minutes.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Brunhidden

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 17, 2007, 10:09:18 PM

They've got some kangaroo-like shock absorption, but I don't think it'd help much in this case (let alone headfirst!)

... and congratulations, you made my head spin on that post. @_@

mostly it was a question about one extreme or the other- a shock absorbing spine would have a higher chance of surviving, a more rigid spine would mean more of the force of the throw would be inflicted on the wall

and the end over end throw i mean like the old throwing axes- the Francesca style throwing axe only weighed between 2-5 pounds but when thrown it carried enough force to literally tear/smash/blow away a typical wooden shield, something you couldn't hope to do with a broadsword and is normally reserved only for 2 handed bearded axes
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.