The Castle (Rebma, for the heck of it, but don't hesitate!)

Started by Stygian, February 14, 2007, 07:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stygian

The Blue. That's what they called it, the residents of Arrien, a town somwhere a bit northwest of somwhere in Furrae. It was actually called Caerule Atri, or just House Caeruleus. Up until a hundred and fifty years ago or so, it had been the main residence for the Caerule family, but since a tragedy, or the Tragedy as the townfolk liked to label it, its inhabitants had moved out one by one, and the Blue had been left empty and desolate.
   It was a strange thing, really, the history of the place. The Caerules had not been unfriendly or secretive, but nor had they been open about their dealings. The families that remembered them knew that they had lived much like the castle that their house admittedly was, on a cliff off and away from prying eyes. There had been rumors that they had angel blood in the lineage. Some could recall regal faces, stately appearances and events, a few mayors of the town from the family and how sometimes people used to talk about an institute or a school somwhere off and whatnot. Somehow though, the family members had begun dying, one by one. The ones who had not had moved to other places, taking new names or old ones from other family connections. The castle itself had simply never been mentioned after a certain point in the family annals, and it seemed that the whole deal with inheritance and rights had been quieted down afterwards.
   Most of the townspeople did not mind the history of the place though. Nor did they mind the castle, since it lay far off, barely visible from the outskirts of the town through forest and over hills and past a lake. There was a time when its tall blue-roofed spires that stretched for the sky and decorated halls had attracted historians and adventurers, but that had somehow passed too. Nowaday most people did not pay it any thought, but there had also been a time when stories had passed around, stories of horror and mystery that surrounded the place, about how the Caerules had moved away because they had been cursed or unleashed some evil that had claimed much of their family before they escaped. Stories and accounts of how those who actually went to investigate the castle didn't come back. No one spoke of them anymore, but they were recorded by historians and remembered by knowers anyhow. The fact that the castle still stood without showing many signs of age or abandon either many saw as testimony to the truth of these tales.
   The Caerules had not been poor, not in comparison to other noble families or even royal blood. They had been wealthy both in money and knowledge. And though the townspeople had learned long since not to venture too close to the castle, some others did not heed the warnings put in text and carried by voice. They dared to head for its grounds and rooms, seeking something. Treasures, tales, knowledge...
   A group of people who dared were, in fact, making their way toward it right then.

The house was a castle, really. There was no denying it. Its main part had four tall floors, its central column seven, and it had both towers and spires that reached tall in front of the mountains that it was set against as it stood on a cliff only a stone's throw away from a large lake that reached around the hills behind and out for the sea. Its empty, dark windows and blue roofs reflected the evening sun, gold ornamentations still shining with a bit of lustre, and its white, blue and black fasade of smooth stone was all but intact, and looming with a sort of dark, imposing aura to it, giving off that sensation of power and weight that only such things can. All in all, as it towered in the distance, it was easy to imagine it as the scene for all those stories that they had heard of.

Boog

Jeremiah was a frog. Not a bullfrog, as most joked. Merely a normal, green, frog. Being by species. Many things about the young man could be described badly, such as "dressed," "kept," "inattentive," and "in need of a haircut." Indeed, he was constantly blowing tufts of it out of his face. He wore dark blue jeans, a tweed coat, a black fishing hat, glasses, a black hoodie, and a tye-die t-shirt. He strolled up to the castle and knocked on the door, twice. He'd come a long way, and rather hoped that whoever was inside would let him stay the night.
"Hello to The Castle! Hello?"

Aisha deCabre

...Now that's impressive.

Upon the pathway to the gargantuan castle, a figure had paused along the route while catching sight of the towers rising majestically from its place on the hill.  It was definitely like something out of the stories she had heard in her travels, a most beautiful but almost haunting sight.  The figure, whose head was hidden and draped in the shadows of a crimson hooded cape, set eyes of the same color gazing at the remarkable building before she started walking towards it.

The adventurer's snaking black tail swished idly from beneath the folds of her cloak, a ring the color of emerald worn upon it.  She paused at a crossroads to the path, a hand pulling the cowl back to reveal her face, that of a young black jaguar clad in loose and comfortable navy-blue attire.  From the black belt about her waist, one could see a weapon or two shimmering from being hidden inside the cloak.  She thought that she had heard voices...perhaps others coming to investigate the stories?  Or searching for treasure?

The huntress smirked and pulled the cowl over her face again, walking around the path that she presumed led to the front gates.  Hm.  Always more interesting with more people, eh chica?  Maybe some will be familiar.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Gareeku

Hm...interesting looking place...

Standing on the path leading to the house in the distance, a figure shrouded in a brown hooded cloak looked on with a calm expression, though the figure's face was hidden underneath the shadow of the hood. For days the figure had been walking the lands, hearing tales of a house which held quite a history. With curiosity getting the better of him, the figure had decided to investigate.

A while later, the wolf had arrived at the front gate of the mansion, looking up at its blue spires with a slight smirk on its lupine mouth.
"Hmm." he mused as he thought he could hear voices...

Cogidubnus

As was his usual wont, Cogidubnus Mithlome was walking alone along some dusty, deserted path. The denizens of the city he had passed through had mentioned that there was a castle where no one lived any longer, some long-forgotten and abandoned mansion where old things and old blood lingered still. "Time eaten towers that tremble not!" Cog said, grinning and watching the long dappled grass sway along the road. He could see the place from where he stood, and the sight and scents of several others as well. He was somewhat surprised that any others would have made their way to such an out-of-the way locale, but no matter. The gates of the castle were still open, and the place certainly looked large enough to accommodate many people. He stopped in front of the portcullis of the grand place and introduced himself to the other standing there, resting his hand on his sword and tipping his hat to the strangely dressed gentleman. "Cogidubnus Mithlome, good sir. You too are planning on staying the night in this old place?"

Mel Dragonkitty

At a point somewhere down the path a small white dragon appeared as if from nowhere. She looked at the castle, then to a piece of paper she was holding, then back to the castle. With a nod as if she was satisfied with what she saw she put the paper away and began walking up the path. She hadn't gone many steps when the sounds of other people alerted her that she wasn't alone. Between one step and the next the white dragon turned into a snow leopard. A young, modestly dressed snow leopard with only the faintest of spots on her white fur.

Mel smiled to herself, people were always an advantage on these adventures. She wasn't good at the physical stuff and anyone coming here was probably an adventurer who would be more than happy to take care of that sort of thing.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Stygian

The tall, blue and square-studded doors of the main entry into the castle remained still and silent, just like the rest of it. Only a chill wind responded to the frog's calls, as it played across the entry yard and drew up some leaves from the trees there, dancing in a short display of autumn browns and reds. Above them, empty windows gazed down, hollow and dark like empty eyesockets, somehow regarding them with disdain.

Boog

"I would, if whoever was in here would open up," Jeremiah replied, glaring up at the building as if it were responsible for his inconvenience on purpose, "Worked at a few other places I stopped at, and nobles attempting to look charitable are cheaper than hotels," he held out one hand and gave a friendly smile, "Nice to meet ya, Mr...?"

Aisha deCabre

As the house loomed closer into view, the panther's head seemed to continually rise just so that she could take in the size of the place.  It was intimidating and yet discarded, an ancient place that loomed and looked like it could stand another hundred years of nature's punishments.  It looked and felt to have a feeling of its own, looking down upon the traveler--or travelers, as she soon found out--walking up to the gigantic front gates.

Looking through the bars, her eyes fell on the two figures standing in front of the doors on the inside.  They don't look like adventurers much...but then, appearances are deceiving.  Turning her head, her eyes then fell on the cowled figure standing in front of the gate, in her path...a familiar one.  She smirked briefly.

"There's more than one adventurer looking into this place, I see." her deep voice laughed in a slight Hispanic-like accent as she pulled back the hood of her cloak.  "Might have some competition."
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Gareeku

"Hmmmm..." the figure mused audibly as he found the main gates to be locked, his brown hooded cloak being carried slightly by the gentle breeze. Just about to set off around the perimeter to look for another entrance, the figure stopped as he heard a voice. Turning his head, he saw another cloaked figure; their one a crimson colour instead of brown. The figure smirked under his hood; he knew that voice.

Watching the pantheress remove her hood as she spoke, the figure chuckled.
"Curiosity often gets the better of me..." the figure replied, a warm smile on his face as he removed his hood to reveal himself; the wandering adventurer, Gareeku Manoko. "It's wonderful to see you again, Aisha."

Stygian

As if to greet them, the wind blew again, howling through the gate into the entry yard and throwing up more leaves that stuck with damp against their clothes. The amber light of sunset was falling from outside now, the sun having dropped to behind the nearest building from where the entry was.
   As the wind passed them, there was a small clatter from around the corner.

Cogidubnus

Cog raised and eyebrow and gave a half-smile. "Mithlome. Cogidubnus Mithlome. Yours?" he asked, shaking the frogs hand.
As he waited for an answer, he tried the lock on the door, to no avail. "If your hoping to have someone come to the door, I'm afraid that's not possible. The locals tell me this place was abandoned years ago." He said, pressing firmly on the handle. The latch was loose, and like would give with a good push. "So if you're looking for some rest, I'd say the best option would be to let yourself in..." he said, about to try and force it when he heard a noise from around the corner. He was fairly certain that the others he had seen were still behind him, but he shrugged and let the door be. He motioned to the frog. "Did you see anybody walk back there? Maybe someone does live here..." he said, walking round the corner.

e_voyager

Epyon yarned and stretched. He was tired not that that was new. He had been walking for a while yet and he need a place to rest and pick up information for a few days.  He brought his right arm to his face and flex his fines on my one. He could still move them though he was not happy with the motion. Three years. It had been three long years that he had searched and gained nothing.
He though about it. Had it really been only 3 years? It had felt like an eternity. Here he was down to his last and grasping at straws. He even came here on a rumor that a family in the town had great knowledge but would it help him? he could only hope so. He approached the front entrance only to find it locked. Yet he was sure that he's been told that people were seen here in the past few days. And ever it they weren't maybe he could find an liberty were the information he sought could be found. He had lived his nightmare for 3 years and felt he could take it no longer. He would not let a mere locked entrance bar him. As he searched along the walls he found that there was a smaller side entry that was not locked.   He paused. Was this right? Maybe, maybe not but for not he would forge on and if he found some one already within so be it. With determination and a push he opened the door and entered the castle.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Mel Dragonkitty

As Mel cleared a small dip in the path she finally caught sight of her fellow explorers. Two on this side of the main gates and two on the opposite. She wondered if it was one group split or if she found herself between competing pairs of treasure hunters. She shrugged, only one way to find out what people were up to. With a deliberately heavy step so as not to startle any hairtriggered members of the group she moved closer. "Good afternoon," she called out.

Belatedly she realized she had forgotten to add a cloak to her new wardrobe. She always did. Hopefully no one was too nosy about why she was wandering about in the woods without proper outerwear.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Aisha deCabre

With a smile back, the panther bowed in greeting to the wolf.  "Likewise as always, Gareeku."  Lifting her head again, she laughed at his comment about curiosity, before quirking an ear to where the wind and the noises that had followed.  She observed the locked gate, but just to be sure, grasped one of the bars and gave it a firm shake, which as suspected didn't yield.  She heard more coming, saw the other two individuals in front of the castle.

The sun out of their view, she gazed upon the spires, thinking that with the night coming soon, the house would have to do for shelter anyway.  "I guess we'll just have to let curiosity take us in, then," Aisha said, a grin on her face.  A night in a haunted house.  Excitement abounds.

"Think there's another way around...?" she had started to ask, before another voice caught their attention.  She spotted the light-colored feline coming up.  "Ah, good afternoon," she nodded.  "Another explorer, I take it?"  Aisha inquired, though the other's clothing didn't look it...she figured anyone bold enough to look into this house after hearing the stories were.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Stygian

Around the corner was another metal-studded blue door, much smaller than the main pair but tall nevertheless. The handle of it clacked as it was pushed open, admitting them into a small sidechamber to the entry hall.
   The architecture had once been gothic, there was no mistaking that. And with the fine blue tapestries that still hung somewhat disorderedly around one might have mistaken it for such, had it not been for the few telltale signs and the new form of the place that told it had been renovated first through renaissance and then romantic styles. The entry hall was empty, like the courtyard, a two-storied room with a stairway leading up and doors behind and under it on both sides, and a sort of balcony leading around the second floor. An engoldened chandelier hung from the ceiling, half-burned candles still sitting in their places, and similarly designed candleholders around hung the walls equally unlit. The whole of the room was still, but did not smell stale even though it was a bit dusty, proving that the ventilation had to be in order still.
   Behind an open door, one could just see a larger hall and beyond another an entryway into a long corridor.

Mel Dragonkitty

Mel nodded to the two in front of her. "Less an adventurer than a collector of stories. Melisande White, generally known as Mel. I understand this is a place just full to the rafters with stories." She looked through the gate to see another wolf and a frog. "Has the rest of your party found it's way inside?"

Gareeku

Grinning at Aisha's comment, Gareeku chuckled.
"Couldn't agree with you more." the wolf replied with a warm smile. It was then, however, that he heard another voice. Turning round, the wolf saw another feline approaching.
"Good afternoon." the wolf said in greeting with a nod of his head. Listening to the others speak, Gareeku smiled as Melissa introduced herself.

"I am Gareeku Manoko. A pleasure, ma'am." the wolf said with a polite bow, before turning back towards the house. "I actually have no idea who they are. But judging from their location, my guess is that there must be another side entrance somewhere."
A couple of minutes later, Gareeku had arrived at another gate after walking around the perimeter, presuming that Aisha and Mel had followed. Noticing it was open, the wolf walked through into the front yard of the large house.

Aisha deCabre

As Mel introduced herself, the huntress nodded back to her with a polite smile.  "Nice to meet you.  I'm Aisha deCabre...but friends just call me Aisha."  She followed her gaze through the bars again, thoughtfully quirking an eyebrow in agreement with Gareeku.  "If they're anywhere, they must be inside by now."

After taking just a quick pause to gaze once more at the outside of the castle, the panthress turned to follow Gareeku, motioning for Mel to follow if she so wanted, away from the large main gate and around the side, leading to the passage that was open.  Passing through it and into the yard, the gate made a rusted, creaking noise as she pushed on it, echoing faintly over the untended grass.  Along with the sounds of the wind, it was an ominous welcome.

The front yard seemed to spread far into the horizon beyond the house, it was so large...though without the gates, none could tell it was even a yard...the somewhat grass was carved into a path while walking through it.  Their eyes settled upon the azure-colored door that marked the side entryway.  She could already hear someone else exporing on the other side...just barely.  Heh, here goes nothing.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Boog

"Abandoned! Even better!" Jeremiah's grin grew yet wider, "Jeremiah Ac'Gregor, at your service. Heh, nobody home... Much better..." And if the place is in fact so old, then there may be, say, old books. And these hypothetical old books could contain hints as to my Condition, that- Unfortunatly, this bout of introspection and foreshadowing was interrupted by a scurrying noise. Curious, he followed Cog.
"Doesn't seem like the sort of place that would attract squatters. I mean, if it's so old, there probably isn't any lighting or whathaveyou," he followed Cog closely; this place was worrying, and he was no fighter. A combination of a horrible allergy insofar as pain was concerned and other circumstances.

Stygian

The dark, empty windows continued watching, somehow growing more intent as they made their way closer to the entry into the side hall. The panthress pushed the door open...
   A raging gust of wind swept by for just a second. It tore the cape off the black feline's shoulders somehow, and similarily it swept off Cogidubnus' hat, flinging them about. It only lasted a moment but it was so strong, rustling through their clothes and chilling them deep, pulling back cowls and tugging at jackets as if it wanted to unveil or expose them, bare them before its gaze and leave them vulnerable.
   The wind went away. It had only lasted but a moment, but that moment had seemed very long. And as it drew away, and the door slowly leaned in, it was almost as if they could hear a voice, just for the tiniest moment, drawing out into a low, hissing whisper.
   On the edge of the sky, far, far away, clouds began rolling in, dreadfully slowly and inevitably moving for them.

Gareeku

As the three of them entered through the side gate, Gareeku looked up at the forboding building in front of them. The wind had picked up slightly, creating an eerie whistling noise as it swept around the building's spires. The area was silent save for the whistling and the rustling leaves; a most unwelcome reception the group seemed to be getting from the house itself.

Following Aisha up to the side door, the wolf looked into the darkness in front of them with narrowed eyes. There was something about the place...not only did it seem forboding...it felt sinister...

Suddenly, the wolf then had to look away as sudden gust of wind swept around the group, blowing Aisha's cape from her shoulders and the hat from the other wolf's head. Reaching out a hand to swiftly catch the pantheress' cape, Gareeku looked back into the darkness, his ear's folding back slightly as a sinister hissing whisper could be heard from within. Against his better judgement, Gareeku stepped inside and into the darkness.

Boog

"What the-?" Jeremiah clamped a hand upon his own hat, turning away from the fierce winds.
"Did you hear that? A sort of whispering..." the frog looked around suspiciously, as if expecting to be set upon by the very stones making up the castle walls, "Random whispering never bodes well."

Aisha deCabre

Aisha listened carefully in the almost foreboding quiet before opening the door, though when the wind came she barely heard it open at all.  She released a surprised grunt and closed her eyes against the gust, pinning her ears back against her skull.  She hadn't felt that the cape had flown off until her arms crossed and hands came up over her shoulders, feeling just her shirt pinned against the skin from the harsh element.

"Gr," she growled silently and opened an eye to look into the darkness, her eyes trying to adjust to it.  As it finally died down, there was a slight chill down her spine.  It was like a warning and an invitation all at once...and yet the adventurers had every intention of crossing the threshold.  Aisha was surprised that her tail ring hadn't gone off when the wind echoed of very faint whispers...perhaps it had.  She couldn't be sure.

With a quick shudder, Aisha straightened herself.  "Thanks," she said, smiling briefly at Gar while taking her cape back and tying it back around her neck.  It was a relief to have it, though not even the long cloak could offer protection from the mental distaste felt from the insidious presence of the castle.  But Gareeku had already gone in...with a deep breath, the panthress followed into the dark.

"Creepy," she muttered, crimson shadow-bound eyes roaming around the gigantic chamber and taking in many of the fine and once-fine details while listening for anything or anyone else besides themselves.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

e_voyager

Epyon looked around and gave a low withers. this inside as as impress as the outside and even more foreboding. though he had not taken more then a few dozen steps inside he felt a chill.  The place felt ominous.  he he looked he shivered a bit as he remembers what brought him him. for a moment his had goes to his old wound. It is merely a reflex as the wound had been healed for years yet he sometimes imagines that it is festers and swears that he can smell rot come form it. shaking his head to clear his thoughts Epyon looks out of a window.  

He could see see the clouds begin rolling in. they were moving with a  dreadfully slowly seemingly deliberate pace.  He could feel that they were inevitably moving for the castle like  some kind of creeping floating omens.  " perhaps i should mother further into this castle and look for a place to weather the night" he said to himself.  He sighed. he was talking to himself and he knew that, that was a bad sign.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Stygian

There were paintings on the walls too, you saw. And now that the rosy light from outside was dimming in the windows the oily canvas of them cast those kinds of shimmering reflections that only masterful oil paintings can, enhancing the sfumatos and effects of the images themselves. Upstairs, hanging in front of the marble stairway was one such masterful piece. In it, a saint feline of some sort swathed in blue cloth was walking down the dark midship of some large cathedral, shadows hinting at the edges but the stained glass windows in the background still admitting some light in to play around the feline character's head, joining its gloria. The marble floor of the entry hall, though dust-strewn, still had a sort of shimmer to it as it played back the light that came from windows on the sides of the main entry door, enhancing the effects.
   Altogether, it would have made for an even pleasant setting, despite the oncoming darkness, had it not been for the blood that had been dragged and smeared across the floor in front of the doors, and the sword driven through its bars to lock it.

Mel Dragonkitty

Mel scurried quickly after Aisha and Gareeku as they passed through the door, unwilling to lose sight of them. Even the wind was beyond normal here. It took her eyes a frightening blinded moment to adjust to the relative darkness of the indoors. She first assessed the unintroduced strangers. The wolf and frog she had caught sight of outside and another person of unidentifiable race. Since they didn't seem immediately threatening she took in the rest of her surroundings.

Her actual age being older than the building Mel quickly picked out the authentic architecture from the altered. Whoever originally built the place had good taste. And a lot of magic, there was so much magic laced into the fabric of the structure that she had a hard time separating it out. Each generation must have added to the magic as they added to the building. She felt slightly breathless from the press of it.

She smiled at the others and introduced herself. "Hi, I'm Mel. Been here long?" But she didn't listen to the answer as her eyes fell into the larger entry and the evidence of violence. She just stared.

Gareeku

Making his way through to the main entrance hall, Gareeku looked to his side and up the stairs, observing the large painting hanging on the wall which had been revealing thanks to the dim light shining upon it.

Looking around, the wolf found the old building to be remarkably pleasant, depsite gloominess of it all. This view, however, was swept aside when Gareeku looked back at the main doors, seeing that something had been smeared on the floor and on the doors themselves.

Taking a closer look, the wolf knelt down as he observed what it was.
"Blood." he muttered, before his eyes looked up to the sword which had kept the front doors shut. Whoever had jammed it there must have wanted people to stay out, and wanted the gate to stay locked. Looks like that plan didn't work. Looking back down at the blood, Gareeku then realised something. "This blood was spilt in recent times."

e_voyager

Epyon having progressed into the  first large room at the end of the hall waled the the center of he room. he turned full circle. after a few moments he nodded and reached not his travel bag. after a moment he took out a few sheets of blank paper. he sat down and began to sketch a rough map of the hall and the room he was in including other entrances. then with light touch he  marked his trail into this room

Jim Halisstrad

Craig slowly walked towards the 'House Caeruleus'.  He had finally hit pay dirt in town several days travel from Arrien.  The town's library had an old map that marked the location of the Castle. With nothing else to go on he decided to chance it.  After all, who knows what secrets this place holds? 
Plus, if Gal'Carth was right, his journey out here would be validated.  Clouds were moving inexorably towards the castle however, and he had no desire to be drenched.  Some personal habits refuse to die.  The undead hurried along the path.

As he got closer to the castle he noticed the entrance was open.  It could mean that it wasn't as abandoned as previously clamed.  He avoided using up his magical energy in town by simply avoiding it.

He prayed that the inside was already lit and cast Appearance of the living.
His glowing yellow eyes dimmed and turned a yellowish green in the twilight, and the patched spot of fur on his muzzle became thicker and less sickly looking.  It was all an illusion of course, but it had saved his un-life many times over.

With that he walked through the main gates and into the entry yard.