2016/02/01 [DMFA #1640] Bases Touched

Started by ZacAttac21, February 01, 2016, 02:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalatash

Whelp, that was a twist. Nice to see Biggs being on the receiving end of an information exchange. Though I still want Destania to be hit in the face with a hammer.
"According to the Bible, the sheep were foaling."

Lying Foo

Huh.  Biggs is trans?  Interesting.

Then again, Jyrras's phrasing, plus the fact that this is a fantasy setting, makes me wonder if he might instead have been the victim of some magical mishap... but "trans" still seems more likely.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Shadowdancer

I think Tapewolf's idea is the most likely.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 01, 2016, 06:32:16 PM

It's worth noting that Wildy is due to be married off (see p.1169-70).  Since there doesn't seem to be a Mrs. Biggs (is there?), it's quite possible that it's only the females that get married off.  While getting your DNA reset as a male is a bit extreme, it might help tip the balance...

The situation being avoided is highly likely. Also, it would also stand to reason that Bridget faked her own death, or simply vanished, mainly to get out of said situation, and hence doesn't want anyone finding out. After all, if the groom-to-be was sufficiently loaded, they could force Biggs to change back.
The most powerful magic is just a distraction.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Shadowdancer on February 02, 2016, 02:39:05 AM

It's worth noting that Wildy is due to be married off (see p.1169-70).  Since there doesn't seem to be a Mrs. Biggs (is there?), it's quite possible that it's only the females that get married off.  While getting your DNA reset as a male is a bit extreme, it might help tip the balance...

The situation being avoided is highly likely. Also, it would also stand to reason that Bridget faked her own death, or simply vanished, mainly to get out of said situation, and hence doesn't want anyone finding out. After all, if the groom-to-be was sufficiently loaded, they could force Biggs to change back.
I dunno, that may be a slap in the face to the mythos who did it - to work so hard and then have SOMEONE ELSE say "you need to undo it."
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shadowdancer on February 02, 2016, 02:39:05 AM

Again, given the inherent risk and IIRC they won't even do this kind of thing until you've been through a slew of counselling about it, I'm not sure he'd change sex simply to come out on top in a patriarchy.  The "I'm in the wrong body" scenario seems more likely.   But it might well have helped.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Shadowdancer

Perhaps, but what is the attitude towards marriage in furrae? Does it have the traditional seriousness of a few hundred years ago, or is it the more modern version where divorce doesn't make you a complete social outcast?

It would also depend heavily on who Bridget had been betrothed to.

Also, if Bridget had a crush on Dan, I'm not sure there is a right body given the current state-of-play. It's more like Biggs would need a few of Jycorp's bracelets.

I did entertain the idea of it being necessary to become twink leader, but I imagine sexism is less of an issue when gender has little influence on how well said person is at incineration.

Kria did mention the next phase has started. It doesn't mean it's the last one yet, but I think they are here to try and get Jy to build the bomb/gun/whatever Mab was referring to when quizzed about zero-magic engineering.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shadowdancer on February 02, 2016, 05:03:20 AM
Perhaps, but what is the attitude towards marriage in furrae? Does it have the traditional seriousness of a few hundred years ago, or is it the more modern version where divorce doesn't make you a complete social outcast?

I think that's too large a question to answer.  Clearly it is not homogenous since Dan thought the arranged marriage thing was strange.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

DarkwingDude

Can we start calling him Biggs Jenner now?  :)

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Keleth

Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

DarkwingDude

Turnsky

Scow2

Quote from: Eboreg on February 01, 2016, 06:16:36 PM
Maybe being a woman would have created problems for gaining control of the Twinks?

It seems to me that both the males and females get "married off" by their families. But we know for sure that the females are the ones that get to choose, at least out of the available candidates. If it's anything like real-world precedent, the males don't have a say in the matter, and if they're completely undesirable, they're shipped off to the first cause to get them killed (Usually the army).

Amber Williams

I cannot deny that there is always a bit of nervousness when it comes to revealing a very personal aspect of a character.  I think ultimately my biggest worries were that some folks would assume it was done as a means of pandering, or heaven forbid that it was being added as a means to suddenly make an unlikable character more sympathetic and likable.  Which goodness I hope that isn't the case...if anyone thinks Biggs is a sleazy weasel (both figuratively and literally) then hopefully their impression of Biggs hasn't changed with this reveal.  Cause while ultimately this is a facet of Biggs as a character...it was never meant to be his definition as a character.  Even if an emerald gets a new side, it is still an emerald.  And Biggs is still the same smarmy troublemaker that he was two updates ago. 

As some folks have likely pieced together, Biggs is the younger twin of Wildy (by about half an hour. More than enough for the average twin to declare themselves the big sibling if my experience with twins is anything to go by).    Biggs was also part of Wildy, Dan, and even Mab's childhood. (Though the real question could be what order did they all become friends)  Which meant that when Jyrras became Dan's friend, Biggs was likely an individual in Jyrras' childood.  It's also mentioned that Wildy and Biggs mom died and Biggs was exiled within a short time-span of one another.  Or as Biggs may put it... "It was a difficult time for me".    The exact details are still vague, but one would get that's likely due to storytelling build.  (And now I imagine even more folks are like "Dangit I wish Regina won the backstory war!")  I will say that those events took place before Biggs rose up as the leader of the twink territories. 

At the end of the day, Biggs is very much Biggs. Leader of the twink territories, plotter and schemer and probably up to no good (or maybe more good than one expects) and even more likely to keep his true feelings and intentions well guarded. 

Keleth

Bigg's reveal had me go "Huh, well that's interesting"

And then I was back to wondering what the evil plan is :P

It didn't change how I see the character, so much as reveal that background aspect.
No big suprise, no big shock, they are who they are, and the story will proceed~
Help! I'm gay!

TFSKnight

..... if some ever tells dan, his poor brain is going to Impode....

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jasonrevall on February 01, 2016, 04:36:46 PM
Also maybe some of us want to believe he is trans its just as valid as any other theory. You don't need to shoot it down so hard. If you have your own theory we'll happily hear it. No need to be hostile to other theories.

Easy, easy. Perhaps ease back a little, there.

I don't read this as shutting down options hard. Heck, I read it as providing more options. And sure, everyone gets their own preference until Ambaargh lets us know what's actually the case. And sure, Biggs being trans is the most likely option (even before Ambaargh weighed in again, although you'll note, please, that she still hasn't said specifically, even in her heavily hinting post just a few up from this - sneaky one that she is) - but it's not the only one.

This forum has always been about madly going nuts with ideas, at least in my opinion. Let's not get snotty with each other for having different ones, hey?

Good chat. Carry on...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jasonrevall

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 02, 2016, 06:47:41 PM
Quote from: Jasonrevall on February 01, 2016, 04:36:46 PM
Also maybe some of us want to believe he is trans its just as valid as any other theory. You don't need to shoot it down so hard. If you have your own theory we'll happily hear it. No need to be hostile to other theories.

Easy, easy. Perhaps ease back a little, there.

I don't read this as shutting down options hard. Heck, I read it as providing more options. And sure, everyone gets their own preference until Ambaargh lets us know what's actually the case. And sure, Biggs being trans is the most likely option (even before Ambaargh weighed in again, although you'll note, please, that she still hasn't said specifically, even in her heavily hinting post just a few up from this - sneaky one that she is) - but it's not the only one.

This forum has always been about madly going nuts with ideas, at least in my opinion. Let's not get snotty with each other for having different ones, hey?

Good chat. Carry on...

He said that "everyone" was saying that it was he wanted to be male and it was mostly 2 people openly and some of my friends. I just meant that theres no need to single that one argument out as being less plausible than another especially when he really didn't have a counter other than quick throw away possibilities to add other than to point out that we could be wrong. No need to call someone snotty for it.

I also never really intended to go farther than my first comment but after Puyon commented I just felt like saying a bit more. Didn't mean for this to cause grief.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Puyon

And sure, Biggs being trans is the most likely option (even before Ambaargh weighed in again, although you'll note, please, that she still hasn't said specifically, even in her heavily hinting post just a few up from this - sneaky one that she is) - but it's not the only one.

Welp. Didn't think I'd have to do it like this...

Here is Amber on Twitter using the exact sequence of words 'Biggs is trans': https://www.twitter.com/Ambaaargh/status/694201695010754564

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
...By Puyon

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Puyon on February 02, 2016, 09:59:47 PM
And sure, Biggs being trans is the most likely option (even before Ambaargh weighed in again, although you'll note, please, that she still hasn't said specifically, even in her heavily hinting post just a few up from this - sneaky one that she is) - but it's not the only one.

Here is Amber on Twitter using the exact sequence of words 'Biggs is trans': https://www.twitter.com/Ambaaargh/status/694201695010754564

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you very much for sharing that. I'm glad that you brought in that clarification I wasn't sure what else I could say at this point.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Shadowdancer

Quote from: Jasonrevall on February 02, 2016, 11:32:55 PM
Thank you very much for sharing that. I'm glad that you brought in that clarification I wasn't sure what else I could say at this point.

But... but I wasn't finished jumping to conclusions yet!  :mowsad

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Puyon on February 02, 2016, 09:59:47 PM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apparently Twitter is becoming like Facebook, showing only bits and pieces of what friends post; Even if I scroll back manually her tweet doesn't show up. Tenkyu for the link.. :)
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Sofox

D'ymkarra, from what I understand, if the person replies directly to another user, you'll only see that tweet in your timeline if you follow that user too. For instance, with this Amber tweet, you'd only have seen it in your timeline if you followed @TheOtherDibbler. The idea is that people are only interested in a conversation between two Twitter users if they follow both people (which of course isn't necessarily true). On the other hand, it does prevent long back and forths appearing on your twitter between people you're interested in and complete strangers.

Now, some people get around this by "dot replying", where they put a full stop at the start of their post. Instead of "@TheOtherDibbler I shall " it is ".@TheOtherDibbler I shall ". This means that even though the tweet is a reply, everyone following the original poster can see it. This is a conscious act on behalf of the poster, so it's kinda like speaking up loudly in the middle of the conversation if there may be people in the vicinity are interested in hearing. Certain people use it maliciously too to "sic" their followers on someone who they may be arguing with, but you need several factors to be in play before you're able to pull that off (not that you should want to, in fact, it's a pretty terrible thing to do).

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Shadowdancer on February 03, 2016, 02:59:50 PM

But... but I wasn't finished jumping to conclusions yet!  :mowsad

Me, either. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ArchTeryx

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 02, 2016, 02:52:00 PM
I cannot deny that there is always a bit of nervousness when it comes to revealing a very personal aspect of a character.  I think ultimately my biggest worries were that some folks would assume it was done as a means of pandering, or heaven forbid that it was being added as a means to suddenly make an unlikable character more sympathetic and likable.  Which goodness I hope that isn't the case...if anyone thinks Biggs is a sleazy weasel (both figuratively and literally) then hopefully their impression of Biggs hasn't changed with this reveal.  Cause while ultimately this is a facet of Biggs as a character...it was never meant to be his definition as a character.  Even if an emerald gets a new side, it is still an emerald.  And Biggs is still the same smarmy troublemaker that he was two updates ago.

There's quite a bit of Real World evidence for this.  My fiancee's insane landlord recently transitioned to being a landlady, and continues to plague her existence.  She's been tempted to label *all* transgenders as insane, selfish buggers, and I keep telling her: He was a self-centered idiot as a man, and she is a self-centered idiot as a woman.  The gender may have changed, but the core person changed not one whit.  Being transgender had nothing to do with it.

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Sofox on February 05, 2016, 09:48:19 AM
D'ymkarra, from what I understand, if the person replies directly to another user, you'll only see that tweet in your timeline if you follow that user too. For instance, with this Amber tweet, you'd only have seen it in your timeline if you followed @TheOtherDibbler. The idea is that people are only interested in a conversation between two Twitter users if they follow both people (which of course isn't necessarily true). On the other hand, it does prevent long back and forths appearing on your twitter between people you're interested in and complete strangers.

Now, some people get around this by "dot replying", where they put a full stop at the start of their post. Instead of "@TheOtherDibbler I shall " it is ".@TheOtherDibbler I shall ". This means that even though the tweet is a reply, everyone following the original poster can see it. This is a conscious act on behalf of the poster, so it's kinda like speaking up loudly in the middle of the conversation if there may be people in the vicinity are interested in hearing. Certain people use it maliciously too to "sic" their followers on someone who they may be arguing with, but you need several factors to be in play before you're able to pull that off (not that you should want to, in fact, it's a pretty terrible thing to do).

Unless the other person's tweets are protected or they have you blocked, you should be able to see both sides of the conversation; Twitter has done the same with friends' timelines where all parties involved were mutual followers..
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Lying Foo

You can see it, but you have to click "view conversation" or "tweets and replies."  It won't show up in your timeline.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Nightmask

The impression I get comes off more that Biggs was born male but raised as a girl by his mother for some reason for why he so pointedly hides his past.  Obviously a minority impression but the one I got in reading things.